How many people actually use twilight forest's magic trees

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Do you use these trees

• Total voters

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
I have been playing around with the magic trees added by twilight forest on my single player survival world thought to my self has anyone really experience how awesome they are for instance the mine's tree ,which brings ores to the surface, is a good early replacement for the quarry before you have a good power generation and dislike computer craft programing or the tree of time which speeds up the rate crops grow which could make for good biomass production in your auto mated farms. There is even a tree called the tree of transformation that slowly change the boime your in to an enchanted which bees count as a neutral environment the perfect environment for most bees plus the trees all look really cool.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, Tree of Transformation actually changes the biome itself? I thought all it did was make the grass flash different colors. :eek:

I do love the Miner Tree, though. :)

Reactions: ThatOneSlowking

Sakyr

Jul 29, 2019
Where do you find these trees? I've done a little bit of exploring in the new version but haven't found one yet.

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
Wait, Tree of Transformation actually changes the biome itself? I thought all it did was make the grass flash different colors. :eek:

I do love the Miner Tree, though. :)
I was watching the direwolf forge craft and someone mention it while he was touring their base which had a lot of the trees

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
Where do you find these trees? I've done a little bit of exploring in the new version but haven't found one yet.
in the huge twlight trees' leaves the way to tell is may seeing a 3x3 square on a 7x7 cubeit should look like the this

xxx
xxxxxxx

in game picture
2013-08-03_13.24.26.png

The classless

Jul 29, 2019
if you want the transformation tree that may take a while to find consider that i took almost all yesterday to find and DO NOT try to shear them they don't drop saplings ever I have looked this up on the wiki

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I've only used the miner tree on a large hollow hill.

The transformation one could be useful when coping with bees, and I've been trying to work out whether the time one works on dartcraft trees.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
The tree of transformation is extremely useful particularly with bees.

Wanted to settle in a desert to use Ruby to replace diamond in E crystals?
Now you want to do bees and are kinda screwed unless you go miles from home to find a biome?
The Tree of transformation got ya covered.

The rest of em I haven't used much though, considering how much tech you need to safely explore enough to get a reasonable number if trees, by that point they may be nearly obselete.

The mining tree above a hollow hills sounds like a good idea, but then again once you can fly, hollow hills become 80% less dangerous.
In 1.5 skeletons mean that you may need some small walls when mining veins, but in general it's safer.

The best thing to have in a hollow hill IMO is a creeper spawner.
They blow up, and give you space, by killing the surrounding mobs.

A skeleton spawner on the other hand...
Get rid of it immediately.

I just cleared out a hollow hill today in some DC gear, Armour with flight, repair, speed, damage, fortune etc, and a combination of a grinding smelt pick for metals, a fortune 4 pick, and a speed 5 unbreaking 3 pick for mass breakage.

Went in looking for gold, having only 7 left.
Came out with 2 stacks, as well as TONS of redstone, and iron, and a good bit of copper tin silver and lead, and bucket loads of coal.
Also found 2 uncrafting tables.

And all this was easily done.
But yet, in the time taken to find a miners tree and run it, I would have had it cleared out.

So all in all- Transformation Tree useful, the rest of them less so.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I love how nobody even mentions the Sorting Tree. Does ANYONE ever use that thing? :p

Also, if the Tree of Transformation turns an area into an Enchanted Forest, wouldn't that make it difficult to accurately breed trees since the leaves are flashing colors all the time and you won't be able to tell which are mutated? Is the biome change permanent or does chopping down the tree end it?

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
You're missing the option: I don't use Twilight Forest mod.

If you don't use the Twilight Forest mod, why visit a Twilight Forest thread?
We don't want to hear if you don't use the mod itself, that's irrelevent. We want to hear if you use an aspect within it which would obviously require using the mod itself.

Stay on topic.

As for myself, I never really thought to look into the Twilight Trees. Sure, they're pretty, but I thought they were just aesthetically pleasing.
Is there anything actually useful about any of them?

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
I love how nobody even mentions the Sorting Tree. Does ANYONE ever use that thing? :p

Also, if the Tree of Transformation turns an area into an Enchanted Forest, wouldn't that make it difficult to accurately breed trees since the leaves are flashing colors all the time and you won't be able to tell which are mutated? Is the biome change permanent or does chopping down the tree end it?
permanent.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
As for myself, I never really thought to look into the Twilight Trees. Sure, they're pretty, but I thought they were just aesthetically pleasing.
Is there anything actually useful about any of them?

Miner Tree acts as a permanent stationary Ore Magnet. It will gradually suck veins from beneath it to the surface for easy mining.

Tree of Time accelerates block updates in its area of effect, causing things like crops to grow faster.

Tree of Transformation apparently changes the immediate area into an Enchanted Forest biome, causing the grass ans leaves to all flash colors and changing the environmental conditions to temperate for easy bee keeping.

Sorting Tree... looks through your chests and organizes them. o_O

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
Those sound... Incredibly useful but at the same time it seems as though they'd be slow/ineffective/inefficient, considering since I started playing FTB the day it was released, I've never once heard of those uses.

Is there some sort of draw back to these tree's powers or are they just incredibly rare?

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Those sound... Incredibly useful but at the same time it seems as though they'd be slow/ineffective/inefficient, considering since I started playing FTB the day it was released, I've never once heard of those uses.

Is there some sort of draw back to these tree's powers or are they just incredibly rare?
They're just really rare. I spent hours searching for them in leaf dungeons and came up empty. The miner tree and sorting tree are pretty mediocre, but the other 2 are incredible in certain situations

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019

They've only been available since 1.5 and can only be found in Leaf Dungeons, which most people who don't scour the Twilight Forest wiki probably don't know about. So, fairly recent and very rare and obscure.

There's no immediate downside or fuel usage to using any of the trees. Only real drawback is they're fairly rare and can't be moved or reproduced once grown. Also, as mentioned earlier, if you have the gear to safely look for leaf dungeons, you probably have better technology than the Mining Tree or Sorting Tree. :p

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them, it's peaked my curiosity.[DOUBLEPOST=1375575619][/DOUBLEPOST]
They've only been available since 1.5 and can only be found in Leaf Dungeons, which most people who don't scour the Twilight Forest wiki probably don't know about. So, fairly recent and very rare and obscure.

Oh, I just assumed they were WIP. I didn't realize they hadn't existed (on the ftb radar) until recently.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'll be sure to keep an eye out for them, it's peaked my curiosity.[DOUBLEPOST=1375575619][/DOUBLEPOST]

Oh, I just assumed they were WIP. I didn't realize they hadn't existed (on the ftb radar) until recently.

They just recently came out of WIP status. You can spawn the saplings in Creative mode if you're playing Ultimate and the icons will even have a big WIP emblazoned on them. :p

casilleroatr

Jul 29, 2019
Does the miner tree pull up ores that actually exist in the ground around it, or does it work like the MFR mining laser, in that it will spawn a random ore near the base of the tree after a given time interval.