Question about Biomes O'Plenty & 1.5.2 unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
All Biome mods will be disabled by default from now on since some people don't want them

on the spreadsheet for unleashed the disclaimer says: [2] Disabled to provide the *option* to use, and configs tested against whole of pack.

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
could they not enable it? it does not generate biomes unless you chose BoP in world options anyway

VikeStep

Jul 29, 2019
could they not enable it? it does not generate biomes unless you chose BoP in world options anyway

thats not the case, biomes o plenty will generate by default, there is an option to remove vanilla biomes and only use biomes o plenty biomes instead of both in world options

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
thats not the case, biomes o plenty will generate by default, there is an option to remove vanilla biomes and only use biomes o plenty biomes instead of both in world options

when i chose default generation no Bop biomes spawn
unless you've change the configs for ftb that is

Molten

Jul 29, 2019

Partly true. But with the configs FTB ships out now they set to false now the line " B:"Add Biomes To Default World"="
So Mjw is correct that if enabled you wouldn't see any difference unless you choose BOP in world options.

That said, having it in the pack but disabled is the right way to go imo.

Didz

Jul 29, 2019
It seems a bit redundant to have to edit the mod pack to enable the Biomes O' Plenty mod, and then also set the world type to BIOMESOP to enable the mod. If it was enabled by default in the mod pack, it would be easier to choose simply by changing the world type when creating the world (which defaults to Vanilla default anyway).

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
it'd also be easier for servers. so users don't need to change stuff around in the edit modpack tab

Xeonen

Jul 29, 2019
it'd also be easier for servers. so users don't need to change stuff around in the edit modpack tab

Last time I checked, servers had to set generation type to "Biomes o Plenty" to generate world as BoP. I'm respectful to FTB's decision though.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
It seems a bit redundant to have to edit the mod pack to enable the Biomes O' Plenty mod, and then also set the world type to BIOMESOP to enable the mod. If it was enabled by default in the mod pack, it would be easier to choose simply by changing the world type when creating the world (which defaults to Vanilla default anyway).

I used to think exactly that. And always set the config to BOP add to default world.
But I recently read that the BOP devs advised FTB that this is the prefered method. I can only imagine that adding into the default world is not as good as choosing BOP world gen in the options. And since using BOP in the way FTB ships this config I have found (and this may be circumstantial) subtle differences in world gen.
Such as vanilla structures like temples show up a lot more, and also spawn in some BOP biomes. Which they didn't before when using the config "Add Biomes To Default World"=True.
Finding vanilla biomes such as jungle or desert before was a real issue when looking for structures such as this.

TL DR: I think they have their reasons for doing it this way.

cynric

Jul 29, 2019

That is only true for the default overworld. Mystcraft ages will contain BOP biomes even if the overworld type is not set to BOP biomes. So there is a difference between not enabling the mod and not having the overworld generate BOP style.

dany624

Jul 29, 2019
Please can someone tell me how to enable BoP biomes on a FTB Unleashed server? I tried changing "Add Biomes To Default World"=True or Default-level-type to BIOMESOP but nothing change

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
Please can someone tell me how to enable BoP biomes on a FTB Unleashed server? I tried changing "Add Biomes To Default World"=True or Default-level-type to BIOMESOP but nothing change

You'll have to enable it first in the mod pack. In the FTB launcher, go to Edit Modpack (or whatever this button is called, it's near the Filter button). By default BoP shows up in the right side window as disabled. Select it and click Enable Mod to make it active in the pack.

And to state the obvious, it doesn't have any impact on existing chunk. Either start a new world or go exploring. All newly generated chunk (and ages) will use BoP biomes.

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019

As someone that got cunfuzzled about this for a bit, I'll tell you that the bit you are looking for is in server.properties, and the option you are looking for is level-type=DEFAULT change this to level-type=BIOMESOP

The way that I understood (and agree) with the FTB team regarding biome mods is that it tends to mess with other mod generation. You get things that are limited and hardcoded to specific biomes, rather than to environments, and, with 5-6 biomes, that's fine. With 50, finding that biome and then the item is a pain.

There are other issues with generation (villages never work right).

I've enabled it in my world, because I think it adds enough to merit it.

Necr0maNceR

Jul 29, 2019
Do obsidian totems and barrow hill dungeons spawn in Biomes O' Plenty biomes? Do Greatwood trees and Silverwood trees spawn as well?

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
Do obsidian totems and barrow hill dungeons spawn in Biomes O' Plenty biomes? Do Greatwood trees and Silverwood trees spawn as well?
Yes, maybe, yes, yes.

I've not seen any barrows yet, but I can't be sure whether that's a TC change to make them rarer or whether it's a BoP issue,

The rest I've found more than enough of, though. The obsidian altars follow their usual altitude and seeming "need to be damn near inaccessible" restrictions, though.

Reactions: apemanzilla

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
I've got a barrow hill dungeon (with the two spawners and 3 chests, correct? :)) right next to my spawn point. So yep, they are spawned as well in BoP.

Methusalem

Jul 29, 2019
As a matter of interest, what's the biome that it's in?

Plains biome, large and flat. :)

BoP did spice it up with some large trees and additional flowers (or is that coming from Natura?), but it's a good old vanilla plains biome.