The Light Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

d1ng0d0g

Jul 29, 2019
Actually just a moderately simple question.

I am building my base, and I pretty much am looking into light sources, to see what looks cool and what does not. And what functions and what does not.

Since I have no talent to make things structurally very pretty, most of my rooms are 7x7x4 on the inside. Mangrove Wood Planks and Darkwood Planks (White and Blue) are making up the floors. And the outside walls (1 or two sides) have 3 clear glass windows.

But the point is lighting it all up, and satisfying some of my OCD traits of symmetry.

Torches are 'adequate', but I start to really bore with them. Chandeliers don't reach the corners.

So I'm asking here, what other options can I use ? (The glass bell is apparently only for displaying stuff)

Quick Addendum: I don't want to use the wrath lamp if I can avoid that. I find them ugly.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Glowstone Illuminators from Thermal Expansion are another option. You could set them into your walls or floor, dye them to match the colors of the other things in your house (I think you can just right-click them with dyes), and wrench them to ignore redstone signals.

If you're on Ultimate, you've got Sulfur and Aluminum torches from Xycraft to play with. They're brighter than regular torches, and the non-aluminum variety occasionally spits out Sulfur Goo (red dye and bonemeal combination), which can be either handy or annoying.

Also, Xycraft Tanks or TE Liquiducts filled with lava will emit light.

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
With the addition of Extra Utilities to the pack I've gone for another option: I use the Magnum Torch (which stops mob spawns in a large area around it, and you can bury it so nobody sees the thing) and then I light sparsely/moodily/where it makes sense rather than slapping down lights everywhere to stop the spawns.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using chandeliers to have some "moody" lighting. They don't light too far, but mobs still won't spawn within 16(?) blocks of them. Thaumcraft tallow candles can look great if they go with the rest of your design.

I really miss Xycraft lamps since I upgraded to 1.5.2, cyan XyLamps were my light source of choice in Ultimate

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got Thaumic Tinker installed, you can also play with Gaseous Glowstone, though I haven't gone far enough into Thaumcraft in Unleashed to know how much research it requires. It can be a bit difficult to get rid of if you ever change your mind, though. :/

EDIT: "Difficult" as in "finicky"--the Fume Dissipator isn't exactly the most precise tool in the world, and when you're trying to hunt down that last bit of Gaseous Glowstone... ;)

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a big fan of using Nitor for lighting. Nothing says "COOL!!!!1" like big floating fireballs.

SonOfABirch

Jul 29, 2019
Gotta say glowstone illuminators. They may be one of the more expensive forms of lighting but they're also imo the coolest. It's what will always light my bases :D

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I think well placed liquid glowstone can do the trick very well

You can have it flowing across the ceiling if you build your place right to look very awesome

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I think well placed liquid glowstone can do the trick very well

You can have it flowing across the ceiling if you build your place right to look very awesome
Keep in mind that energized glowstone sources like to move into flowing glowstone blocks directly above them- so if you place a bucket on the ground outside somewhere, it'll eventually disappear. Make sure to place your glowstone buckets directly under some solid block, and have it flow sideways into the rest of your house.

I once used a few glowstone sources on the ground floor of a base in a Natura Redwood treehouse base to illuminate the whole tree. Energized glowstone can be extremely cost-effective when used on a base with lots of floors.

SpitefulFox

Jul 29, 2019
Also, liquid glowstone seems to crystallize back into glowstone blocks if you pour it out above a certain elevation.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
ooh...?
They actually produce light?

I must look into this >.>
<.< *Scheming hat activate*
Oh yeah, they're great for that.

Just include them into your pattern like they're just a normal wall.

Oh, fabric of reality gives off light as well.

d1ng0d0g

Jul 29, 2019
It is Unleashed that I am playing.

And I really appreciate all the suggestions. And I do like redstone lamps too. But I'm trying to make things 'pretty' this time around. I've done efficient, and functional, now, my main goal is to add 'pretty' to that.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
There's also gaseous glowstone if you don't want to put down lights at all.