The Light Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Labhras

Jul 29, 2019
With the addition of Extra Utilities to the pack I've gone for another option: I use the Magnum Torch (which stops mob spawns in a large area around it, and you can bury it so nobody sees the thing) and then I light sparsely/moodily/where it makes sense rather than slapping down lights everywhere to stop the spawns.

Was not aware magnum torches did that. Going to have to bury one under my oreberry bush room.

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
So the discussion went from ways of lighting things to ways to prevent mobs spawning without light. I guess they are two different means to the same end.

There's a basic rule for the slabs etc. They prevent spawning if they obstruct the block in any way and they don't have a surface on the top part of the block.

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
ok, back to light a bit there are also lights and lamps and things in bibliocraft, if you are looking for types of lights that aren't cubes.

Reactions: Siro

Redweevil

Jul 29, 2019
I believe that by putting a block that emanates light (ie torches or glowstone) in a glass bell it will produce light

Reactions: Flipz

shortybsd

Jul 29, 2019
I've been on the same hunt to find a better light source. I seen tons of videos of some cool light and found out it was from RedPower 2 called the white lamp. However, I run FTB Unleashed and RedPower 2 is not included. I found that the Glowstone Illuminator blocks are pretty close to the White Glowstone Lamp. It has modes you can switch from Default On/Off, Scaled Proportional, Scaled Inverse, Always On and Always Off. You can color them with dye or even better use a computer and use color codes to put specific colors that wool won't come close too. Here is a link for the color codes http://www.nthelp.com/colorcodes.htm. I ran all my lights to a touch screen computer to turn lights on and off as well as other power sources (MJ stuff that you can't leave on 24/7). If you want to manually change the light color put it on top of a pc, type the following:
Code:
p=peripheral.wrap("top")
-- Then set it with color codes like this
p.setColor(0xFFCCFF)
Also if you want to default the illuminator back to the original color, break it with a pickaxe. you will not lose the block, it will reset it back to original color and drop on the ground. If you want to preserve your color and want to place the light elsewhere use a wrench (shift and right click). Hope I could be of some help and good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vilmos

Micmager

Jul 29, 2019
The power tool lets you place square blue and black panel lighting. Looks cool to me and they never stop working.

Ammaneus

Jul 29, 2019
Currently experimenting with glowstone microblocks as a non-intrusive light source, even the tiny nook-blocks emit the full light level :) .

Also noticed what looked like a vanilla lamp microblock in NEI, as soon as I get silk touch to pick one up while turned on i;'ll try cutting it up.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Was not aware magnum torches did that. Going to have to bury one under my oreberry bush room.
Microblocks covers work for that too and you can make it as dark as you want..

I've been using chandeliers to have some "moody" lighting. They don't light too far, but mobs still won't spawn within 16(?) blocks of them. Thaumcraft tallow candles can look great if they go with the rest of your design.

I really miss Xycraft lamps since I upgraded to 1.5.2, cyan XyLamps were my light source of choice in Ultimate

Same 8/ I loved those inverted cyan lamps for the engines in my fleet... was there any reason it's not in 1.5.2? I haven't seen any reason or haven't been looking hard enough..

On topic tho.. I'd also suggest Gaseous glowstone it's amazing, I'm actually working on a redwood tower build using the gaseous glowstone for corners to illuminate everything...

Drawde

Jul 29, 2019
Biomes O' Plenty has what's basically blue glowstone in it's Promised Land.

And Twilight Forest has a couple different insects.

Seraph089

Jul 29, 2019
Same 8/ I loved those inverted cyan lamps for the engines in my fleet... was there any reason it's not in 1.5.2? I haven't seen any reason or haven't been looking hard enough..

On topic tho.. I'd also suggest Gaseous glowstone it's amazing, I'm actually working on a redwood tower build using the gaseous glowstone for corners to illuminate everything...
Xycraft is skipping 1.5.2, it'll be back for 1.6.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
Hope 1.6 comes soon and is a doozy... cause to keep that from us in 1.5.2 (specially when he's got it working in 1.5.2 on dire's smp...) there better be some great things coming.. Xycraft is one of my fav mods

Norfgarb

Jul 29, 2019
Hope 1.6 comes soon and is a doozy... cause to keep that from us in 1.5.2 (specially when he's got it working in 1.5.2 on dire's smp...) there better be some great things coming.. Xycraft is one of my fav mods

I don't recall having seen anything from Xycraft in Dire's 1.5.2 SMP, last xycraft thing I can remember him using was in his 1.4.7 SSP.
Pretty sure if it was on SMP then dire would have things like multitanks and fabricators going at the very least, not to mention whatever other things soaryn has been working on.

I tried using glowstone covers to light my floor my rooms last night, forge multipart offers some cool stuff i hope we see some other mods using the API soon, cutting up some of the other light emitting blocks to interesting shapes could be really awesome.

Zealstarwind

Jul 29, 2019
He did have it with the lights and if I'm not mistaken he did have it for the farms he did... he was going to make his thaumcraft room out of it but decided against it.

Mashy14

Jul 29, 2019
If you've got Thaumic Tinker installed, you can also play with Gaseous Glowstone, though I haven't gone far enough into Thaumcraft in Unleashed to know how much research it requires. It can be a bit difficult to get rid of if you ever change your mind, though. :/

EDIT: "Difficult" as in "finicky"--the Fume Dissipator isn't exactly the most precise tool in the world, and when you're trying to hunt down that last bit of Gaseous Glowstone... ;)

The gaseous glowstone is almost the 5 thing you research in thaumcraft... VERY early research (it would take like 5 minutes)