About difficulty/tedium and the terms we use (GT and similar)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Init(1d20+5)=23; Wall of Text hits you for (4d6+4)=18 damage.

So, this thread isn't really about gregtech in itself, and it's certainly not about greg or the recent malicious code he inserted into his mod - there's a whole thread for that, and please don't bring it here. While GT is used as an example, I do not mean to condone greg's action or say that gregtech was a successful method of doing what I'm discussing here; I'm discussing it as a phenomenon. That's also why I don't post it in this thread, because that is specific to the mod and would result in drowning in discussions about different topics while this is pretty specific.
Also, sorry for the frequent bolding/italics; it's a way to point out keywords where I think they're important.

It's about the _type_ of changes gregtech made, the "balancing" changes. Basically, changes that make certain things harder to get than they are without the mod. Gregtech isn't the only mod doing this (TerraFirmaCraft does this a LOT, for example) but is the primary example since it's included in FTB and it's around GT the debate has been centered.

Basically, some players are saying gregtech adds "much-needed difficulty" and others are saying it adds "unnecessary tedium". Whether it's needed or unnecessary is a debate in it's own, but I think the dichotomy between difficulty and tedium is simply... non-existant.

I don't think either word is useful as the primary description of what mods like Gregtech tries to achieve. The correct term I believe, would be "technology advancement pace" or "tech pace". Mods like GT and TFC _slows down_ the advancement pace because the developers think it's too fast.

Primarily, it's done through increased complexity. It's not as simple as difficulty, and while tedium can be a consequence of complexity it's not as simple as that either.

Just swapping iron ingots for iron blocks in the recipes and nothing else would be mainly an addition of tedium, as the added complexity is marginal and it's mostly a matter of mining more. However, adding a load of machines and new recipes that needs to be done in order increases complexity a lot. For the "perfect player" that has the ability to know every recipe of the top of their head and always pick the optimal road, and that don't particularly enjoy mining, the addition still boils down mainly to tedium, but for most of us it adds an actual layer of skill required to do it effectively (quick mental maths for calculating the optimal number of ingots to turn into plates, good memory to keep 10 times more recipes in the head or good NEI skills to quickly find what you need).

And to some degree, minecraft itself is repetition. A lot in minecraft is based on tedium. To get a stack of diamonds you have to dig quite a bit of rock. So it's not really about "should we have tedium?"; it's about "how much tedium do we want?"

When it comes to difficulty, it depends a lot on the goals in question. If we define difficulty as "the probability that you can achieve a certain goal", which seems a reasonable definition in this speicifc case, difficulty becomes completely reliant on goal, and hindrances in question. Now, the main hindrance in minecraft is time; since there's no permanent "death" (as in you can never more play Minecraft, compare New Caprica City lol) in the game, you can always restart worlds until you finally succeed. In this regard, all minecraft can be said to have 0 difficulty if you don't have a time limit. Most players do, however, and most have another goal: Making something in a single world. Now, if you play on any difficulty but Hardcore, this is also a difficulty pretty close to 0 regardless of what you want to do; given time, any build you like is possible.
To meaningfully discuss difficulty, we must thus set up a particular goal that is more likely to fail. For example, say that the goal is:
1. Build three of these nuclear reactors, connect to matter fabricators and fill a chest with EU matter.
2. Do this on a single save on hardcore mode.

Or:
1. Build a fully automated biofuel farm fully powering a set of 4 HP36 boilers.
2. Do this before the server restart a week from now.

Now, this is a task that actually has a difficulty; ie you can fail at it, by dying or running out of time. Now, if we put two players at this, using the same seed and with about the same player skill, both being decent players with some experience but neither being "the perfect player that can never die", one playing FTB without gregtech and one playing with gregtech - which is more likely to do it?
So, in this circumstance - yes, gregtech (and similar mods) add difficulty. With other goals (for example removing bullet point 2) it might be different.
tl:dr; on the spoiler: Mods like gregtech can add both difficulty and tedium, depending on players and playstyle.

However, difficulty and tedium is not at the center of this - the key thing is about tech pace. Basically, it's about "at how many hours of gameplay should I have access to technology X?", and of course also "how much of those hours should be put towards actually getting technology X?".

I consider the tech pace in FTB without gregtech to be quite high. Without gregtech, after about 2 days even an average player can get all base resources in the game freely pumped into your base at quite high speed. After an additional 2 you can have gotten access to about any technology at all in the game (not necessarily every, but any).
Some people consider it too low, and make mods that increase it, or play creative (which is a perfectly fine thing to do - this is not in any way meant to shame people who increase teching speed and/or play creative). Some people consider it too high, and mod the game in different ways to make it slower (even before I got gregtech, I lowered EU yield from geothermals to 10eu/t on my server).

Also, the tech pace in different mods are very different - the obvious examples being Equivalent Exchange 2 and Railcraft which where both in the old tekkit packs in the days before FTB. Railcraft allowed you to make like 2 steel per hour after like 6 days of playing, EE2 allowed you to make a house of diamond blocks after two days of playing. "Balancing" modpacks is usually about the balance between mods - making different ways of accessing certain goals all have noticeable pro's and con's so that it's a real choice. Nowadays much of that balancing is made by the mod developers themselves, knowing that mods are likely to be used in modpacks and seeing what pace other mod makers put it to. Gone are the days where it was very ineffective to run a quarry on lava-fueled engines but very effective to run them on electricity-fueled engines where the electricity came from lava generators...

This of course means the modpacks automatically get much more balanced now than they where in the past where everyone developed their mods primarily for usage standalone, but it also means there isn't any choice in what tech pace to have; there is just one global. Mods like gregtech are meant to change this tech pace, slow it down for players who want it slower. In some cases, this can make the game harder. For some players, this can make the game more tedius. Both are more side effects than goal, however.

Since appropriate tech pace is very much a matter of preference, I think it's sad that discussions about that get so heated. I understand it's inflamed because of Gregtech itself being what it is and using the methods it is - but it's preventing a healthy discussion about fitting tech pace, and potential mods/settings to adjust this. I'd love a good mod that lowers tech pace in different ways, and does it across the board for most mods, but the climate is very hostile for such a mod to be released, or even for methods to do this well to be discussed.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I don't believe you're going to have anything close to universal agreement in a mod that seeks to alter other mods. The only case that would work is if each mod dev decided to submit to the will of that one "unifying" mod and the will of that mod's creator.

With that said, most mods are created from an individual or group's view of how to alter the game. This is done independently to varying degrees. Some mods comply with energy system compatibility, others need to system and go it alone. Those that use existing power systems comply with submitting to that systems power rules, but most likely would be opposed to any other influence on their mod.

Unless you have explicit acceptance from individually developed mods to submit, what you seem to want won't work. If you want one mod to dictate your progression, it seems you need a total conversion mod like Better Than Wolves or Terrafirmacraft. They are total conversions, exist on their own and dictate tech pace explicitly. They also don't alter other mods so there's no interaction conflict.

Reactions: schyman

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just paste a PM I sent a guy on IC2 forums here. The question was basically "what non-tedious hard mods are there".

___
Lambert2191 said:
Other than twilight forest I don't know of one.
It doesn't add much besides a few world bosses. What's so hard about them considering how ridiculously easy it makes to gather resources in that dimension?
I have played with the mod for a while but I removed it exactly because it trivialized resource gathering.
Lambert2191 said:
I don't class time played as = tohard. If greg changes a recipe of say an iron furnace to needing 12 iron instead of 5/8, then that just increases my time resource gathering.. it's not "harder"
What do you do for gathering resources? For me in early game it means cave exploring. Having to explore a dangerous world for more time to get to state where it isn't as dangerous any more most definitely increases the difficulty of playing. In a non-gt modpack all you need is one trip to a cave to get enough stuff to set up fully automated mining and never to return there again.

Talking specifically about time aspect I hate it when people set up a trivial system for automated mining and walk away (or log out in case of servers) just to return hours/days later to literally receive a mountain of resources. Many people do it and Dire is probably one of the most famous one of them as he constantly has his quarries run on renewable/"green" energy "offline" just to have stuff for building in the episodes. I exclusively play on SSP exactly for that reason. If I feel I'm waiting for something for too long I take measures to solve it by expanding my processing. If my automining stuff isn't pulling things out of ground fast enough I'll get my tools and go mine manually. I'm never idle and never waiting, I always have stuff to do. To me time is exactly the same kind of resource as any other that has to be optimized and not exploited.

It might make it easier to understand my viewpoint if I'd clarify that I've never been a big fan of building things that look nice just for the sake of building them. If I do something I want there to be an actual reason behind it and aesthetics isn't good enough for me. For people whose aim is building things for aesthetics obviously resource gathering is just a tedious timesink and I see no reasonable way how both me and them could be playing with same set of mods and rules and be happy.
Lambert2191 said:
Note though that these are views that not many of the FTB forum community agrees with.
I fully understand and I've never claimed that my views would be shared by anyone else either. I'm merely stating my personal opinion :)

___

Basically I agree with you and especially that time is just another resource like any other in MC even though many people choose to ignore it. Nothing bad with that per se, just that they should also consider there are players who do consider it to be one.[DOUBLEPOST=1374155743][/DOUBLEPOST]
Unless you have explicit acceptance from individually developed mods to submit, what you seem to want won't work. If you want one mod to dictate your progression, it seems you need a total conversion mod like Better Than Wolves or Terrafirmacraft. They are total conversions, exist on their own and dictate tech pace explicitly. They also don't alter other mods so there's no interaction conflict.
In principle I agree. Though I see no reason why there can't be a mod that actually does aim to be such a total conversion that uses other mods to make them into a single somewhat sensible experience.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
For me, from my personal experiance and available time, I find the Thermal Expansion level of "difficulty" with some of it's multi-part recipes to be the perfect balance. They are not too involved with masses of multi-stage processes. The mod pack I'm working on at the moment trys to "balance" as much as it's content as possible around that level, in those mods where configs are available.

Reactions: RedBoss

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
In principle I agree. Though I see no reason why there can't be a mod that actually does aim to be such a total conversion that uses other mods to make them into a single somewhat sensible experience.
Sensible is a completely subjective perspective. Its fine to seek a mod that alters other mods. My point is that the mod devs would willingly have to submit to that mod in order for there to be "success" for that over-riding mod.

To work in a best case scenario, it would require permissions from these mods to be altered. If X mod wants 3 iron for a tool, but Y mod wants to over-ride that with plutonium, them having X mod's permission to change that would eliminate a lot of drama. It would smooth the conversion for Y-Mod. It would open X-Mod up to approving of this conversion. It would also open up a explicit expectation for users of these mods if an open agreement was made and a mod pack explicitly described as "Y-Mod Total Conversion Pack."

You'd eliminate the argument of Y-Mod's alteration within a general purpose pack. I've been avoiding actual names but look at the Ultimate Pack. With Gregtech a part of that pack, a lot of users had negative experiences because "Ultimate" is an open-ended term. Gregtech for many is not the "Ultimate" experience they were seeking. If Gregtech were in the "Gregtech Ultimate Conversion Pack" people would know what they were getting involved with. There would be no name calling or derision because that pack's goal would be for other mods to submit to the will of Gregtech.

Now getting mods to sign up and give permission to be in that pack would be the issue. But there'd be no reason to complain if you used a SPECIFIC modpack.

A mod that has conversion in mind should be on its own and not in general purpose packs. That is a huge failure of the Ultimate pack & Mindcrack pack. These packs appealed to a broad user base that did not get what they expected in many cases. Had it been fully expected that total conversion and submission to Gregtech would be expected over time, then there would be less complaining about Gregtech specifically and mod reflection in general.

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
Sensible is a completely subjective perspective.
By "sensible" I meant that the mods should roughly follow comparable progression path. E.g macerator should probably be a tiny bit easier to get than pulverizer or rock crusher as the last two give you extra output. If one were to use the mods (GT, TE & RC) at their default settings pulverizer would be massively cheaper and easier to get than other two.
Its fine to seek a mod that alters other mods. My point is that the mod devs would willingly have to submit to that mod in order for there to be "success" for that over-riding mod.
Why? All that get changed are the recipes and there are several mods out there that specifically are made to do only just that and no one seems to complain.
To work in a best case scenario, it would require permissions from these mods to be altered. If X mod wants 3 iron for a tool, but Y mod wants to over-ride that with plutonium, them having X mod's permission to change that would eliminate a lot of drama.
I'd say it would send drama through the roof and would add so much bureaucracy that noting would get done eventually. Comparable things have happened in MC modding community before. Also modders are rather lazy when dealing with PR and a whole lot of them have only given permission for FTB for distributing their stuff and bluntly forbid anyone to even ask for permissions. Having modders give their permission for one random mod to change their stuff would mean that random mod would never see the light of day.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
RedBoss: Total conversion mods are one way to do it. Mods that alters other mods (like GregTech does), with or without consent, is another way to do it. Having built in configuration options in the original mods is another way to do it, and furthermore, changing some vanilla features (for example making iron more rare or wood grant less planks) is another way. All these have pro's and cons.
In would say the preferable methods would be either:
1. External mod that changes other mods with their permission. This is the optimal solution, because you get a single team with a single design goal to do all the rebalancing, leading to a coherent level of optimization. Of course without anything forcing it down someone's throat.
2. Config options that change balance. Most mods have these to some extent, but having more and more drastic configs would be great, especially if they can be easily changed by a simple "complexity=" option. The only issue is different mod authors will have different levels they consider "low complexity" and "high complexity".

I think a healthy discussion about this can lead to a more open climate about different play styles. Regardless of what one's playstyle is, there seems to be a high tendency towards "my way is THE right way and everyone else is wrong!". It's common here and the law of the land in the GT threads. If we could get past this, maybe the developers of different mods would see it as more relevant to make configs or allow others to make changes to change the playing experience, and I think that would be to the benefit of everyone who doesn't both think the FTB without gregtech is perfectly balance and loves a lot of drama around this.

Moasseman

Jul 29, 2019
By "sensible" I meant that the mods should roughly follow comparable progression path. E.g macerator should probably be a tiny bit easier to get than pulverizer or rock crusher as the last two give you extra output. If one were to use the mods (GT, TE & RC) at their default settings pulverizer would be massively cheaper and easier to get than other two.
One could argue that macerator should be harder to get than pulverizer because it can be overclocked etc. and because EU is generally "faster" to get than MJ (1 generator can keep 5 macerators (without OCs) running fulltime, while pulverizer takes 4 stirling engines to run at full speed)

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
1. External mod that changes other mods with their permission. This is the optimal solution, because you get a single team with a single design goal to do all the rebalancing, leading to a coherent level of optimization. Of course without anything forcing it down someone's throat.
Having a single team do decisons leads to having something that pleases only a relatively tiny group of people. Far better would be to have several competing things trying to achieve the same end result. I'd actually even dare say that GT becoming popular was the main thing that pushed some modders to add higher difficulty level options to their mods. It's certainly not a coincidence that several use gregs name in the config setting.
2. Config options that change balance. Most mods have these to some extent, but having more and more drastic configs would be great, especially if they can be easily changed by a simple "complexity=" option.
This would definitely be nice. One of the most important things would be the ability to configure stuff like power generation/use/conversion. Quite a few mods still miss even as basic thing as that. Also the ability to unify outputs from various processing machines. GT goes to great lenghts in that regard.[DOUBLEPOST=1374159285][/DOUBLEPOST]
One could argue that macerator should be harder to get than pulverizer because it can be overclocked etc.
Then again OCing itself is an added cost already for both energy use and materials. :)
Though my main reasoning about it being tad bit cheaper was that it isn't capable of producing extra outputs.
and because EU is generally "faster" to get than MJ (1 generator can keep 5 macerators (without OCs) running fulltime, while pulverizer takes 4 stirling engines to run at full speed)
and this is where the point about power configuration comes into play.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I personally don't see why there's a need for a mod to change other mods. I can't see the need for a mod to regulate other mods. I see a point to a modpack compiler changing configs where they need to. But if a mod dev says their mod should do X and they give configs to alter how you gain X, then fine. But to say the mod X should comply with mod Y is like asking someone to answer to a person they have equal standing with. I have to do what the coach says, because I'm a player. I don't answer to another player on another team who plays the same position. It doesn't make sense.

Why should mod devs submit to another mod dev? There's no claim, proof, or position of authority in the mod dev community that one mod has the right to tell other mod devs how they're mod should work. That's my point. Having a system of permissions would allow for agreement that Y-mod has the right to change mod-x anyway they see fit. Otherwise its chaos and that's what has been allowed in general purpose packs.

Total conversion, or explicit permission eliminates the need for drama. Mainly because an over-riding mod is always segregated from general purpose mods that don't alter each other.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Having a single team do decisons leads to having something that pleases only a relatively tiny group of people. Far better would be to have several competing things trying to achieve the same end result.
Oh, I never meant "a single team" as in "one team should do all the rebalancing between all mods"; I meant, if PlayerGroupX wants DesignGoalY, then having a single group made up of players from PlayerGroupX working towards DesignGoalY will be more effective than the developers of individual mods like IC2, TC, TE etc trying to make a config option to satisfy DesignGoalY, since the individual mod makers are less likely to consider the other mods at play, are more likely to misunderstand the wishes of PlayerGroupX etc. Of course if more people work towards DesignGoalY it's even better, though generally cooperation works better than competition.

I'd actually even dare say that GT becoming popular was the main thing that pushed some modders to add higher difficulty level options to their mods.
It may be, though there's been voices asking for harder minecraft gameplay before GregTech was released. So it's not a new phenomenon, though GT was the first actual attempt in relation to techmods. But that's more history than future, and the future is what interests me.

Nothing's perfect, but whenever this discussion comes up this video comes to mind as something to watch and ponder:

That's a very good video, and I recommend everyone to see it. Though I do have one disagreement: Whether complexity can be reduced to just a "resource". See, the thing is, some players like complexity, for complexity's sake. Not all players - it's probably a minority - but some do. Players of pen and paper RPGs will be familiar with the term "system mastery"; basically, how well one can understand the system itself and use it to optimal results, and how in the design of certain RPG's it's a conscious goal to make system mastery a difficult goal to achieve (Dungeons and Dragons v. 3 was pretty heavy on this). It's not a design goal everyone agrees with, because not everyone likes that part of gaming, but quite a few do - I myself feel a certain level of satisfaction when I finally reach the point of "OH! I FINALLY GET IT!" in a complex game.

For most players complexity by itself is mainly a drawback, but for a minority a certain level of complexity can be positive, because they like figuring out complex system. Consider crosswords; their complexity is nearly as large as a language itself, yet many people like them. Not to mention ComputerCraft; it's immensely complex, and people can choose to spend hours upon hours trying to get the optimal way to do something. People like a challenge, and some people see the complexity itself as a challenge. I'm not saying the game or modpacks at whole should be designed to suit them, but they exist.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
I personally don't see why there's a need for a mod to change other mods.
This comment got me thinking about something that we all to rarely consider but that is really good to think of. This is not meant aggressively or demeaning in any way, it's just a suggestion that can be really useful: It's a good idea to consider this: You don't have to see it; others do, and you can just accept that they do :). At least in the case of pure opinions rather than scientific facts...
Or well, to the degree we can talk about "need"; it's a game after all. There's hardly any "needs" involved in this, there's just "wants".
Though changing other mods isn't necessarily the goal, it's just a method.

But to say the mod X should comply with mod Y is like asking someone to answer to a person they have equal standing with. I have to do what the coach says, because I'm a player. I don't answer to another player on another team who plays the same position. It doesn't make sense.
There's a difference between saying "you should" and "it would be great if". If another player says "hey, I think our team would do better if you go out more to the left flank; that way I can pass the ball to you more easily", you'd be stupid not to consider what they're saying. I think the gameplay and the user base has to benefit from being allowed different paces of teching; how to best implement that is important to consider.

But to say the mod X should comply with mod Y is like asking someone to answer to a person they have equal standing with. I have to do what the coach says, because I'm a player. I don't answer to another player on another team who plays the same position. It doesn't make sense.
Why should mod devs submit to another mod dev? There's no claim, proof, or position of authority in the mod dev community that one mod has the right to tell other mod devs how they're mod should work. That's my point. Having a system of permissions would allow for agreement that Y-mod has the right to change mod-x anyway they see fit. Otherwise its chaos and that's what has been allowed in general purpose packs.[/quote]
I'm not saying any modmaker should have to _submit_ to another, not at all. However, I do think all mod makers - and users for that matter - has the right to tell mod makers how they'd prefer if a mod worked. In a respectful manner of course. There's a (not so fine) line between constructive criticism and ordering people around and I think constructive criticism is great. I think one mod maker should make a lot of constructive criticism towards other mod makers. There's a lot of difference between that and forcing them to submit to your own sense of "balance" though - which is why I'm advocating voluntary submods/addons or config options rather than that the mods change the tech pace themselves.

I mean, personally, I kinda like the tech pace set by Gregtech in the last 1.4 release. I think that's a fitting tech pace for me personally. That does not mean I think the developers of IC2, BC3, RP2, TE, CC etc etc should remake their tech pace to match me - it means I hope either they make configs to allow that tech pace, or they give allowance to someone else to make a "tech pace submod" that alters their recipes etc to attain that goal.

Total conversion, or explicit permission eliminates the need for drama. Mainly because an over-riding mod is always segregated from general purpose mods that don't alter each other.
Agreed. Fully agreed. However, it is a huge job to do and is less likely to actually be released - and if the features are too similar to those released in other mods it's prone to drama again (see BetterThanWolves)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm gonna offer my opinion up here. It is just an opinion. I believe what I am writing, but I do not hold it to be axiomatic or absolute.

Briefly on this as it relates to GT: I think Greg is ambitious and I respect what he's done. His plans are not easy. But still, I don't like Gregtech very much, especially the new one. Know why?

Because I think Gregtech is too easy. What a lot of people expound on as difficulty, I find to be not very difficult at all; just time consumption.

The part of Minecraft I love, what I call "difficulty", is recognizing a need for a build and knowing I have at least 2-3 ways to do it. I then need to ask myself, "given what I have, what I need, what I can build, and the consequences of that build... which one is the right call?" That sense of ambiguity, that need to experiment, that open question is what I love, and why I tend tend to bring new mods into my game all the time. Gregtech's progression and machines are all exceptionally linear. There's generally one obvious and reasonable way to do whatever you want to do in GT and once you know that, it's sort of settled.

To me, this is the death of novelty and the death of one of the primary reasons I play modded Minecraft over vanilla. Mastering GT is not that hard given the modern features NEI, Buildcraft, and other core mods have evolved in 1.5.2. Including Applied Energistcs utterly declaws most of GT. So all that's left is th recipe graph and to me, this is not complex. It fits on a single sheet of free gridded paper, and generally looks like a simple progression from left (nothing) to right (enough production and consumption to need and build a fusion reactor) and most of what stands in between is gathering enough resources to make chrome spinning feasible.

The only exciting time I've ever had using Gregtech was in 1.4.7 on AdvancingCraft when I devised a way to reduce the amount of time I spent moving my 4 pump lava stations from around the nether (I had a turtle-based solution using ender tanks and an RTG turtle). Everything else was looking up recipes and saying, "Ah, I need another one of those. Okay." I don't find that kind of building fun. The first time I built a blast furnace that could work tungsten I expected to feel more of a payoff... I didn't.

I'm not sure why, on the other hand, I've enjoyed Tinker's Construct. I think the combinatoric nature of the tools is what keeps me engaged. It does surprise me that there are in fact some valid designs that many people avoid because they want to make a "max tool". So long as the design space is broad, something dwarfy inside me loves to watch the casts fill up with metal as the Lord of the Rings soundtrack plays in my head.

I understand that this is not a normal sentiment. I observe a lot of people preferring to have "familiar" mods nearby. I am not one of those people, I guess. I think all I really want is solid balance and novelty.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
That's a very good point KirinDave - the way that GT did it was extremely linear. There was a single correct way to do it (except for energy regeneration where there was a few different valid approaches). I guess one possible way to adress this is to have the machines be more modular? I mean in an RP2 sense, where every machine had a specific purpose but they combined could make something awesome? I don't know how easy that is to apply to things such as energy generation and mining yield increase, but it's definately a topic worth thinking about.

Still, I feel as if in most systems where the complexity (yes complexity, not necessarily depth as Vauthil posted about) is low enough to be grasped by a single person, there is always going to be a few "correct way to do it" that are superior to all other? Like in computer RPG's where there's usually "one (or a few) build to rule them all" for each character class?

I think this is hard to adress, and the ways I've seen it adressed in other games is mainly by making availability extremely random, like in rogue-likes and dwarf fortress and similar, where there can't be a single "right way to do it" because the conditions will be different for everyone. But in minecraft, all resources are readily availability; diamonds are still extremely common in minecraft compared to say Amulets of Life Saving in ADOM, and every single time you play minecraft you can count on finding some diamonds. That method doesn't really work here.

In TFC there is some amount of "no correct way to do it", but part of that is because the player base is small enough that noone has theorycrafted much yet and partly because some resources are hard enough to get access to that they severely adjust your playstyle. And still, while TFC has no "right way to do it" it also has a very limited set of things you want to do in the first place.

namiasdf

Jul 29, 2019
Since appropriate tech pace is very much a matter of preference.

This is all that really matters from your post.

You make the game what it is to you. If you decide to play on a multiplayer server, where you are subject to the entire groups wants/needs for mods, accept it. If you don't want to accept it, SSP exists. There are plenty of exploits and conveniences that you simply can ignore. I don't use steam because you can cross between EU and MJ easily, using the various machines provided. This is because I make the distinction between EU and MJ like electricity and HP, rather most people call steam (or the power to generate thus), HP and EU/MJ, electricity.

In terms of difficulty, not everybody has the technical/mathematical expertise to create balanced, automated, efficient and redundant systems (i.e. They take the time to specifically design the system so that it is expandable, tweek-able and after its all done and built, spent the time to make it more efficient.) Like I always say, not everybody who plays this game is an engineer.

The problem with GT, like a few other posters in this thread have already mentioned is that it does not make the game more difficult. It just makes it take longer to get to x. Even then, it's not difficult at all. If I played ngt, I would lose interest in FTB. Though your argument is technically right, from a "playability" perspective, the new changes to GT are nonsensical. They don't really prove to make the game more interesting or provide an additional "problem" to solve. It just simply makes things stupid.

The intents and goals surrounding this changes have been made obvious by his actions. It's not that GT is some highly controversial subject as a mod, rather it has become a fiasco due to the seemingly random changes he has made. The changes to IC2 are definitely agreeable. Needing to make plates is okay, kinda really annoying, but oh well. The changes to tools and wood... Now really.

Then all this stuff with TC, etc.

Though you specifically said that is not a part of your discussion, that is all the discussion is about. If you are trying to make clear to those without any perspective, the difference between making something time consuming and difficult, power to you. You make it sound like that is the issue at hand though, which it really isn't.

edit: ngt instead of wgt

Reactions: SpitefulFox

Dee_Twenty

Jul 29, 2019
It seems to me that this idea of "pacing" and "balance" pretty much runs counter to most of the tech mods that exist, Buildcraft, Industrial Craft, Universal Electricity, and their respective suites of add-ons, with one notable exception that we all know too well, are all about making it easier to get resources or to do jobs faster than you can do in vanilla, in general they're all about making life easier, not harder.

Reactions: Flipz

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Let's pretend you're seated at a table. In front of you is a red bowl, and a blue bowl. Inside the blue bowl is a ball.

I tell you to take the ball out of the blue bowl and put it in the red bowl, which you do.

I then tell you to take the ball out of the red bowl and put it into the blue bowl, which you do.

As a reward for doing so, I give you a scoop of ice cream.

This is not a difficult exercise.

Now I tell you to repeat the exercise 100 times for that same scoop of ice cream. Did it suddenly become difficult? No. It became tedious. And for many people, tedious is synonymous with dull. You have to have a specific outcome that is sufficiently attractive to you to continue with the exercise in order to not just stop and go find something else to do. Do you really want a scoop of ice cream so bad you want to move the ball back and forth 100 times?

Difficulty is learning curve, as in you can't progress until you learn specific things. Learning how to write your own scripts for ComputerCraft with no prior programming experience would probably be one of the most difficult things to do in modded Minecraft because not only is the learning curve steep, the margin for error is very small. By itself, margin for error can very readily contribute to difficulty. So learning curve and margin for error. Those are the qualifiers. So when someone tells me <x> is more difficulty because it requires more mats than it used to, I can't agree. And when people keep tossing this "hardmode"/"easymode" configs nonsense around it's more like "easymode w/ ubergrind" or "easymode w/o ubergrind". If a person knows how to play Minecraft, telling them they need to gather more resources doesn't up the difficulty. You have to go out of your way to do things poorly and increase the number of errors you make to approach difficult from margin of error on the back end.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
@Enigmus1

The problem with having a system like that is that, once one's progressed to a certain point in the game, progressing back to that point is no harder than it would be without that system or any sort of nerf.

So how about not a learning-based system for precisely this reason?

Anyways, I felt like TFC's method of metal-gathering (save all that Sluicing, ugh) was semi-grindy, but still quite interesting enough to work better than the current system.