Greg Tech opinion discussions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
So quitting a mod during initialization is against that law? No sorry it's not. You should read the law again. There is no threat to you or your property if a mod refuses to start.

A mod refusing to start?

Yeah, a coder purposely putting in a code bomb that crashes the game because he doesn't like another mod is a "mod refusing to start".

Sure.

Shave the wool off your eyes.

NEXUS2345

Jul 29, 2019
In my personal opinion, and as I believe, Gregtech does actually break the law. In Britain, it is illegal to alter someones code without permission from the creator. Greg broke this law as soon as he altered Buildcraft or even IC2, but I suspect the IC2 team gave permission for him to do it. mDiyo was only fixing the damage caused by Greg nerfing planks, and if Greg changes his code to break everything, then that is his idea and his fault, he should have expected it from the fallout of the nerf.

logoster

Jul 29, 2019
Essentially what Greg is saying is all mods should accept his nerfs and/or work with his configs or he will make that mod incompatible with GT. I would love to see all the modders purposely undo the nerfs he does to their mods so he makes them all incompatible to his mod, see how many of his 'fan base' quit GT.

or better yet, if ic2 de-nerfed changes, then if greg is really that much of a hypocrite, he'd have to make gregtech a standalone mod first, to be able to make his mod incompatible with ic2, as his mod, is just an ic2 addon

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Next week?
  • Saplings require regular watering to grow.
  • It is now a mandatory requirement to macerate wheat, mix it with water buckets, and cook it to make bread.
  • Uncooked chicken gives you the "salmonella" debuff.
  • Buildings made of player-placed blocks have a chance to topple over at random if you don't include specifically cut support beams that can only be made in the Industrial Sawmill and that break into sawdust if you remove them once placed.
  • Minium Stones break after five transmutes worth and no longer function as portable crafting unless you also carry a crafting table in your inventory.
  • Picking Natura berries risks a random chance of summoning angry grizzly bears whose claw attacks penetrate all armors.
  • Mystcraft books take durability hits for each use and can only be repaired in the new Industrial Book Binder.
  • Stone Slab recipe now requires you to make Stone Plates in the compressor and then use Distilled Resin as an adhesive to bind the plates together.
  • Your minecraft client mysteriously crashes if you so much as mention the word "immibis".
  • Everybody in this thread has been noted and will receive Pumpkins of Shame.
  • These won't matter because Jadedcat will have long since mauled all of us to death.
Just kidding. Maybe.

In reality, I would hope an actual stance on whether he's going to play nice or take his ball and go home. I have no problems with him wanting to go the direction he appears to be going, but it's starting to have a significant impact on everything else now.

1. Wouldn't be that bad for a more "vanilla" hardcore game. One with very few mods.
2. Or "process" the wheat in some way, adding water and an egg
3. Not a bad idea ;)
4. See point 1

The first 4 I could completely agree with to make a hardcore world. But maybe as a separate mod, with few other added nerfs

I don't like a lot of Greg's nerfs, but I do like the ability to use them when I want to play a more difficult version (Sorry if that makes little sense)

Edit:
How would you get the iron ingots to make the furnace? :p
Random chance in chests?

Reactions: SpitefulFox

hhhjort

Jul 29, 2019
no I disagree, lets say you have a buddy thats a cop & you have an issue with any random thing, your buddy could give you advice as your friend meaning his personal view or as a cop what the right (moral/lawful) thing to do is, so I take it jaded posted her personal views that are hers & hers alone as a forumer, then puts back on her mod hat & reached for the ban hammer, with this topic handy to have near at all times.

I disagree that you disagree. Currently as it stands Jaded has given her personal opinion, and the FTB organization has yet to state an opinion. Since FTB is an organization rather than a single person, it probably requires some consensus to be reached among the people in charge. SOAB has stated he thinks the consensus view should match Jaded's. Not that Jaded be promoted to Queen Despot of FTB and her opinions be the official opinions of FTB. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, we won't know until they have gone through whatever process they have and published an opinion.

In your buddy cop example, the cop could give his opinion on if something should be legal or not. Now if that something is done and goes to trial, once the judge/jury rules we will have the Legal System's opinion if that something was legal or not. If it never goes to trial, then the legal system has declined to form an opinion. In this analogy SOAB has stated that the judge/jury should rule in agreement with the cop. Its a slam dunk case in his eyes.

Hoho

Jul 29, 2019
If I was a mod offer I was going to protect my recipes from being changed, same as KingLemming added a config option about that.
Code:
    craftinghandlers {
        B:Crucible.Override=false
        B:Furnace.Override=false
        B:Pulverizer.Override=false
        B:Sawmill.Override=false
        B:Smelter.Override=false
        B:Transposer.Override=false
    }
fun fact: these were added by gregs suggestion and full cooperation
Its sad that he has that attitude of "not caring" thank god he is not being paid for his mod he go out of business quite quickly.
like many other modders he is doing it for himself. As long as he doesn't get bored of ot the mod will live not caring about who plays it

Artheos

Jul 29, 2019
Its rare for me to post a opinion on controversial topics.. or really any topic. I am not posting as a moderator or as FTB Staff in this post.

I am posting as a third-party modpack creator.

I would have been a bit grumpy at mDiyo for the exploit with auto-smelting. Then again as anyone with experience with my pack knows, I know how to use a config and fix minor exploits like that. I still would have growled a bit but meh.

I can certainly not be accused of not knowing how to operate a config file or files. I also cannot be accused of wanting an easy game.

All that said. Under no circumstances ever would I allow a mod that thought this was sufficient reason to crash a game to be in a pack I created. And yes I am aware of all previous ancient history with other mods that have made adverse changes for the end user. However I have yet to see another mod decide that changing a recipe in that mod was grounds to crash the client. mDiyo changed a recipe in GregTech. Greg crashed the client because there was a recipe change he didn't like. This would be similar to me giving someone a pie recipe and them changing an ingredient, and me then shooting the person that ate the pie. Its not DRM its not justifiable under any license or modder code of conduct. He crashed clients because he didn't like a recipe change. I find this reprehensible and unjustifiable.

This is my opinion and as such does NOT represent the views of FTB.

Exactly this. It does not matter if you like GT or not. All the banter about if someone should change a recipe or not, is not the concern here. I have played with GT and without GT. It does not matter for me at this point. Greg's actions have broken my trust. If I want to play an FTP mod pack that comes by default with GT, I will simply remove it before playing.

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
At this point I'd say this "discussion" has been done to death. In the end actions will speak louder than any words here and the FTB team at least will see how many people jumped ship when the download numbers come in for the wgt and ngt updates. Those that want to blindly follow Greg or don't care enough about his childishness will continue to use the wgt version while those of us that have decided to jump onto a ship sailing away from stormy waters will move on to the ngt pack. I'm not saying we shouldn't discuss this kind of thing, just that after some point trying to discuss this topic any further will be no more than pissing in the wind.
Yeah, but many people who play FTB don't even know about Greg's little "stunt". A lot of people who play FTB only know about it from their favorite Youtubers or whatnot.

Itaros

Jul 29, 2019
In my personal opinion, and as I believe, Gregtech does actually break the law. In Britain, it is illegal to alter someones code without permission from the creator. Greg broke this law as soon as he altered Buildcraft or even IC2, but I suspect the IC2 team gave permission for him to do it. mDiyo was only fixing the damage caused by Greg nerfing planks, and if Greg changes his code to break everything, then that is his idea and his fault, he should have expected it from the fallout of the nerf.
There 2 cases: All mods technically are illegal by minecraft license(but Notch doesn't prohibit this) and the second one is: Gregs code was violated by mDiyo and Greg refuses to tolerate that. What the problem, guys? Was it hard for mDiyo to ask Greg about possible variants: to change recipe internally or to asking users to change GT configs?

Symmetryc

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, except for the fact that all modders modify Mojang's code :p.

Dangit, ninja'd.

netchip

Jul 29, 2019
Correction: it looks like people hate Greg for making a crash.

I'm sorry that my first post here is this one, but I just am stunned that someone would say "people hate Greg for making a mod" in the face of what he did. It just floors me. The deliberate crash. The crash. The crash! That's what people hate.
It isn't nice indeed. But I don't mind it. I don't think it's childish. It's a sign from Greg yo let end users now what mDiyo is doing.

And yes, this damaged my respect for mDiyo.

Bubbleo

Jul 29, 2019
Oh stop going on about "hating". It's a game for crying out loud. Just removed the darned mod. It has no place in a quality modpack anyway with the lack of support, documentation and random 'nerfs' of whatever the author fancies when he wakes up in the morning. The recent whine spam at startup, wood 'nerf' (I mean, seriously, why are people even defending that?) and the malware are just the icing on the cake. The mod is terrible, the author is terrible and his community is terrible. Nuff said. I don't 'hate' him or his mod, that would imply it's anything worth getting worked up about. It's not good enough a mod to warrant that.

Here here i agree this topic is like flogging a dead horse nothing will be achieved and nothing will change, there have been countless gregtech griping threads and they all achieved what? Nothing at the end of the day apart from sore fingers from smashing at the keyboard with the tireless ranting. Simply remove the mod or download the ngt version and enjoy the game if you dislike gregtech.

Artheos

Jul 29, 2019
There 2 cases: All mods technically are illegal by minecraft license(but Notch doesn't prohibit this) and the second one is: Gregs code was violated by mDiyo and Greg refuses to tolerate that. What the problem, guys? Was it hard for mDiyo to ask Greg about possible variants: to change recipe internally or to asking users to change GT configs?

The problem is he took it out on the end user, me.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
1. Wouldn't be that bad for a more "vanilla" hardcore game. One with very few mods.
2. Or "process" the wheat in some way, adding water and an egg
3. Not a bad idea ;)
4. See point 1

The first 4 I could completely agree with to make a hardcore world. But maybe as a separate mod, with few other added nerfs

I don't like a lot of Greg's nerfs, but I do like the ability to use them when I want to play a more difficult version (Sorry if that makes little sense)

Edit:
Random chance in chests?

No, I get it, I too have been there but find I get bored with out tech mods & TC (kind of a must have mod) even in a very very hard mode server I played on I got bored after setting up the the machines & food supply, all that was left was to build or mine, & mining on ultra hard & torches go out in the rain, no torches below xx lvl etc, is no joke.

Ashzification

Jul 29, 2019
Here here i agree this topic is like flogging a dead horse nothing will be achieved and nothing will change, there have been countless gregtech griping threads and they all achieved what? Nothing at the end of the day apart from sore fingers from smashing at the keyboard with the tireless ranting. Simply remove the mod or download the ngt version and enjoy the game if you dislike gregtech.

But this one was created by forum staff to minimize the amount of other threads being created for the same cause. Less threads for the staff to watch over, makes their job a bit easier (IMO)

lolpierandom

Jul 29, 2019
It isn't nice indeed. But I don't mind it. I don't think it's childish. It's a sign from Greg yo let end users now what mDiyo is doing.

And yes, this damaged my respect for mDiyo.

You know, I really hate to call people fanboys...

But sometimes, exceptions have to be made.

You do realize Greg has absolutely NO qualms doing the exact same thing to others?

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
I disagree that you disagree. Currently as it stands Jaded has given her personal opinion, and the FTB organization has yet to state an opinion. Since FTB is an organization rather than a single person, it probably requires some consensus to be reached among the people in charge. SOAB has stated he thinks the consensus view should match Jaded's. Not that Jaded be promoted to Queen Despot of FTB and her opinions be the official opinions of FTB. Maybe it will, maybe it won't, we won't know until they have gone through whatever process they have and published an opinion.

In your buddy cop example, the cop could give his opinion on if something should be legal or not. Now if that something is done and goes to trial, once the judge/jury rules we will have the Legal System's opinion if that something was legal or not. If it never goes to trial, then the legal system has declined to form an opinion. In this analogy SOAB has stated that the judge/jury should rule in agreement with the cop. Its a slam dunk case in his eyes.
I refuse to comment until it makes sense.

xbony2

WikiWorker
Wiki Staff
FTB Mod Dev
Jul 3, 2013
America
ftb.gamepedia.com
I love it how I'm reading this and people just keep posting so it's almost infinite.

Maybe greg is being an ass. A lot of people here seem to be saying that.
But him being an ass, or really mean, or whatever, isn't going to stop me from enjoying his mod.
When I download a mod, I download it because it has cool features, or it is really helpful in one way or another, etc, I get it for the content, not because the modder is really nice, or really cool, or whatever. I don't base my decision on stuff like that.
Flowerchild is a nutball (I think everyone can agree with that) but that hasn't stopped people from downloading and loving BTW.

I'm not going to remove greg tech from my minecraft. I love what it does, and I'm not going to remove it because greg does something stupid.

Many early artiest were crazy, but that didn't stop people from enjoying their art.

Status
Not open for further replies.