The most underused starting strategies?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Velotican

Jul 29, 2019
A very rarely employed strategy I see that works very well is moving your BC quarry underground. Although you do lose a little bit of ore doing this most of the resources at the high levels of the world are junk anyway.

Build them roughly at y=54 and you're set. :D

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
I started a mindcrack world and gave myself the challenge to use only the IC2 miner for my automated mining.

I started pretty normal first couple hours -- farmed, dug down, caved, nether. Finally got materials for railcraft blast furnace and made my first drill.

With the first drill i stopped all manual mining and left my starter area. Made the first miner and I have not been below the surface in weeks.

To move I found a fortress in the nether i liked and made a portal to the overworld, which thankfully was a landmass. Setup a new base there. Transferred the 3-4 chests of basic materials i accumulated in start-up and I had my new base. I started mining and eventually mined out about a 64x64 upgrading and adding miners as I went along. That was plenty to explore several mods and now going to try the deeper end of gregtech, so been off in creative prototyping mobile miner platforms using redpower frames/motors to take this show on the road ;)

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
A very rarely employed strategy I see that works very well is moving your BC quarry underground. Although you do lose a little bit of ore doing this most of the resources at the high levels of the world are junk anyway.

Build them roughly at y=54 and you're set. :D

Although if I remember correctly, the blocks that the quarry clears out for the supports to be made are lost, so you stand to lose out on some copper, iron, tin, etc. unless you clean the area out yourself first.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Although if I remember correctly, the blocks that the quarry clears out for the supports to be made are lost, so you stand to lose out on some copper, iron, tin, etc. unless you clean the area out yourself first.

But instead of cleaning it out, just quarry it out!
So you can quarry to quarry. Wait....
Landmarks can go into 3 directions, so you can make your loss minimal, so instead of a 9x9x5 (default?), you can have a 9x9x2, or something like that.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
What? I don't think you can define the amount of space the support structure takes up. At least, I've never tried that..

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't been able to try it either, because I don't quarry anymore and the times I have, I started completely above ground, so landmarks were never a problem for me.

Vovk

Jul 29, 2019
you cannot define the space of the support structure. The 3d landmarks are for things like fillers and architects.

RoloisRight

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoyed this thread in 1.4.7 and now that enough people have been playing 1.5.2, I'm hoping it makes a comeback. I'm planning on starting a new world for the next version of the beta pack (1.5.2 0.7 wgt), but I want to stay away from the 2 mods that seem to be taking over the way a lot of people play, AE and MFR. Is there anything in 1.5.2 that anyone feels is being underused?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The AE Grinder. It's basically entry-level ore duplication, requiring Quartz Dust (which you can get from the ore), smoothstone (which you can cook up in a furnace with charcoal) and cobblestone. Never 'waste' an ore by not doubling output first!

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
I enjoyed this thread in 1.4.7 and now that enough people have been playing 1.5.2, I'm hoping it makes a comeback. I'm planning on starting a new world for the next version of the beta pack (1.5.2 0.7 wgt), but I want to stay away from the 2 mods that seem to be taking over the way a lot of people play, AE and MFR. Is there anything in 1.5.2 that anyone feels is being underused?

Multifarms.

Reactions: RedBoss

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
The AE Grinder. It's basically entry-level ore duplication, requiring Quartz Dust (which you can get from the ore), smoothstone (which you can cook up in a furnace with charcoal) and cobblestone. Never 'waste' an ore by not doubling output first!
I always made one of these, but I've recently started using the Tinker's Construct smeltery instead if I start near surface lava.

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
I mine a metric shittonne, make an AE quartz grinder, then TE machines with hobbyist engines, and then, before even IC2 power, a full power suit, something I genuinely cannot live without.

Cursey

Jul 29, 2019
to process ores, I usually start out with a grindstone + turtle combo (I've never thought of slag furnaces)

Creating a zombie pigman farm is the first thing I try to do. (infinite iron, gold, and diamonds!)
Then a steve's carts tree farm.

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
That's an interesting idea Cursey. I've never built one of those.
Methinks I'm going to do some internet research and try that out in my new world.
Any how to tips on how you prefer going about it?

Chrissy

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to go for IC2 equiptment because it's what i grew up on sorta, But i think it's kinda BS how GT changes up all the early game machine recipies
(Diamond requiring furnace and such anyone v_v)

And you can set quarry size o--o?