Pulling and Sorting Items from Quarry (enderchest)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

TheTrueJD

Jul 29, 2019
I am fairly new to the whole FTB scene. But seeing as I was always one to be really organized when playing minecraft.

I wanted to be able to build a quarry, then have the items sent to my base and auto sorted into correct chests. Sounds simple enough to you advanced people.

But for some reason I can't seem to figure out how to pull items from an Enderchest. The only was I know how to pull items ATM is via Transposer. And I have learned that this won't work.

So could someone point me in the right direction as to how I can extract and then sort Enderchest contents.

Any help is appreciated.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
AE import busses, buildcraft wooden pipes with an engine on it or Red Power retrievers / filters all work fine. Personally I prefer using Item Tesseracts over enderchests because it allows me to dump the items straight into my AE storage instead of having to pull it.

zemerick

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft autarchic gates on either wooden pipes or emerald pipes also pull, but I second the move to Item Tesseracts. They send items out just as fast as they come in, so this is one less obstacle in scalability.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
I haven't tested them for this purpose yet, but wont item tesseracts mean that you basically have 0 buffer for overflow (e.g. item fountain at the quarry the instant the other tesseract can't dump items)?

Granted, not likely to be an issue with AE systems..

TheTrueJD

Jul 29, 2019
So I have been reading a little but on the whole Item Tesseract thing. And I am very confused. I'm sure that I am making it harder that it really is. But could someone point me to a good tutorial or example of how to easily/basically use item tesseracts with a quarry.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Or if it is dumping into a pipe or tube or... ;)

Yes, my point (or question rather) was when that ability stops for some reason. An ender chest can be used (without any extraction from it at all) for quite some time, if cobble / dirt etc is voided.

To be clearer: Is there an internal buffer in item tesseracts?

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
So I have been reading a little but on the whole Item Tesseract thing. And I am very confused. I'm sure that I am making it harder that it really is. But could someone point me to a good tutorial or example of how to easily/basically use item tesseracts with a quarry.

Err. Stick one next to it, pick a frequency, set one next to an AE interface in your base, and pick the same frequency?

Half the fun of FTB is figuring stuff out. So start a creative world to test it first before applying it in your base.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, my point (or question rather) was when that ability stops for some reason. An ender chest can be used (without any extraction from it at all) for quite some time, if cobble / dirt etc is voided.

Well, the same is true for tesseracts if you void cruft before it hits the tesseract. :)

To be clearer: Is there an internal buffer in item tesseracts?

Yes, 1 stack, basically.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the same is true for tesseracts if you void cruft before it hits the tesseract. :)
Yes, 1 stack, basically.

I void the excess cobble in my base. I have one item tesseract that receives everything. Tess > diamond pipe that sorts out cobble, gravel, dirt > ME interface.

The cobble and stuff gets fed into upgraded barrels hooked up to my ME system, excess gets voided. Looks like this:
X2MGTOz.png

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Yes, 1 stack, basically.

Ok, so the second non-voided item type will be thrown on the ground when using tesseracts (provided the extraction fails).

Note that I'm not trying to "talk down" tesseracts here, I use all variants of them quite extensively. Just trying to determine the exact differences (vs. ender chests when it comes to handling quarries).

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Ok, so the second non-voided item type will be thrown on the ground when using tesseracts (provided the extraction fails).

Yup. That will however only ever happen if the recieving tess is next to something it can't output to, like a filled chest or an inactive ME interface. If the other end is a pipe it will always be able to output the items.

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019

Right. But the thing is, for practical purposes, this won't happen with a quarry unless you purposely engineer it to happen. A quarry is limited to how fast it can throw items at a tesseract and that rate is below what the tesseract can handle. As long as the other side of it can eject, the tesseract will not be the problem. Eject into a relay then the throughput of the relay is the problem.

In fact when I was being foolish and not using BC pipes I ran into just that problem. My build, at the time, destroyed cruft after transport through the relay but before entering the AE network. For some silly reason I decided to use RP2 for the tasl. I put a relay next to the tesseract which ejected into a 4 segment tube. A filter pulled the cruft out of the tube 2 blocks before entering the AE and ejected into a 1 block tall pool of lava. What resulted was a relay that was slowly backing up because it couldn't keep up with the quarry if the quarry hit multiple items in a row. It kept pulling from the first slot in its inventory and only pulled about as fast as cobble was being put into it. So slots 2-8 would slowly fill up with non-cobble stuff until the quarry hit a cave/ravine or it eventually overflowed. To compensate for that I actually put 3 more relays on the tesseract. Each relay was connected to the trunk tube with restriction tubes. The filter kept up fine, AE kept up fine, the tesseract was fine, just the relays were slow.

In the next world with no RP2 (1.5) I made the exact same build except using BC pipes. Not only was the build smaller, 2 pipes (1 diamond, 1 void) vs. 4 relays, 7 tubes, a filter and a lava block, but it was able to handle anything I threw at it. Granted it was only a single, max-speed quarry, so I have no idea what some of the more insane builds might do to that system, but still, for a single quarry, no problems.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019

Note that I'm not trying to "talk down" tesseracts here, I use all variants of them quite extensively. Just trying to determine the exact differences (vs. ender chests when it comes to handling quarries).
To the best of my knowledge tesseracts do not spill they stop, & the pipe system you see in pic is one we all use so, the system is as spillage proof as it gets.

but personally I void at the quarry end, just to save sending items that are useless, maybe wrong but I feel it could be a tiny bit less strain on hardware.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Right. But the thing is, for practical purposes, this won't happen with a quarry unless you purposely engineer it to happen.

Purposely, or unintentionally... :)

In the next world with no RP2 (1.5) I made the exact same build except using BC pipes. Not only was the build smaller, 2 pipes (1 diamond, 1 void) vs. 4 relays, 7 tubes, a filter and a lava block, but it was able to handle anything I threw at it. Granted it was only a single, max-speed quarry, so I have no idea what some of the more insane builds might do to that system, but still, for a single quarry, no problems.

My setup is basically the same, with quarry -> diamond pipe with a void pipe attached taking care of cobble etc. -> ender chest.

So I guess the benefits of using ender chest is that you have sligtly more buffer in case of a clogged system in your base (which may not be a problem unless you mess up), and the possibility to remotely check the status using an ender pouch. Tesseracts on the other hand can be made private by clicking a button instead of using diamonds (you need one to craft them though) and have convenient frequencies to distinguish between them instead of requiring dyes.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
To the best of my knowledge tesseracts do not spill they stop, & the pipe system you see in pic is one we all use so, the system is as spillage proof as it gets.

The tesseracts wont spill items, but the quarry will if the tesseract stops accepting items (due to the receiving tesseract not being able to output). I guess this is fairly irrelevant since it is unlikely to happen in most cases. I certainly had my quarry item fountains in the beginning though, with ender chests as well. :)

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
So I guess the benefits of using ender chest is that you have sligtly more buffer in case of a clogged system in your base (which may not be a problem unless you mess up), and the possibility to remotely check the status using an ender pouch. Tesseracts on the other hand can be made private by clicking a button instead of using diamonds (you need one to craft them though) and have convenient frequencies to distinguish between them instead of requiring dyes.

You can also build the buffer in your base. Saves you from having to set up the diamond pipes again whenever you move your quarry. Saves a lot of time if you don't have to go and get gravel, dirt and cobble every time.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
My setup is an L shape:

Et
QIt

EnergyTess above, quarry, ItemTess next to it

The other ItemTess outputs to a diamondchest connected to my AE system with a basic import bus. Useless crap is handled by AE on purpose: I prefer to decide what to keep and what to remove from case to case. corjaantje's trashcan-AE-exportbus setup is quite handy for that matter. :)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
The tesseracts wont spill items, but the quarry will if the tesseract stops accepting items (due to the receiving tesseract not being able to output). I guess this is fairly irrelevant since it is unlikely to happen in most cases. I certainly had my quarry item fountains in the beginning though, with ender chests as well. :)
Again a reason I void at quarry end.[DOUBLEPOST=1371211715][/DOUBLEPOST]
You can also build the buffer in your base. Saves you from having to set up the diamond pipes again whenever you move your quarry. Saves a lot of time if you don't have to go and get gravel, dirt and cobble every time.

Holding the required items in a bag is not a huge problem mho.

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
The main diff i find between tesseracts and enderchests is that one has a buffer andf the other doenst.

In my case for example i tend to use chests because i link all my farms and such to the chest.

if i used tesseracts (assuming they transfer up to 1 stack per tick) and 2 items (wood from a farm and cobble from a quarry) arrived at the same time the system might spill one of them.

This would not be a problem if the tesseract outputted the item on the same tick in an atomic operation, but i dont know if thats the case (if it is, tesseracts can transfer infinite items per tick, as long as theres a receiving side)[DOUBLEPOST=1371213480][/DOUBLEPOST]About the voiding of dirt, cobble and gravel.... i stopped doing so when i discovered MFR deep storage chests.

2 billion items is a LOT to fill up, even with several quarries at once....