What mods could be used to replace redpower 2 (not talking about its place in FTB)

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
Two features I haven't found a replacement for yet:
1) Wireless Redstone. This isn't RP2, but as I understand it, CB's WRCBE depends on RP2. I'll be testing out Ali4z's wireless redstone mod this weekend. Anyone else have some experience with Ali4z's or another wireless mod?

2) compact logic circuits. I know MFR has the RedNet Controller, but that seems like overkill for when you just want a simple T-flop, timer, or state cell. Compact yes, but a lot of ingredients go into that controller.

Petrus

Jul 29, 2019
Two features I haven't found a replacement for yet:
1) Wireless Redstone. This isn't RP2, but as I understand it, CB's WRCBE depends on RP2. I'll be testing out Ali4z's wireless redstone mod this weekend. Anyone else have some experience with Ali4z's or another wireless mod?

2) compact logic circuits. I know MFR has the RedNet Controller, but that seems like overkill for when you just want a simple T-flop, timer, or state cell. Compact yes, but a lot of ingredients go into that controller.

PowerCraft includes both. WRCBE being Redpower dependent is not its' biggest problem; it's more the fact that ChickenBones is balance obsessed, and bases pretty much all of his recipes on Ender pearls. I really should install PC again; I miss having mods that aren't written by the SMP epeen brigade, and that just let me do what I want.

That had a lot to do with the reason why I switched to UE from IndustrialCraft as well. I truthfully only ever used IC2 under protest, because I wanted ore doubling, but for a long time I couldn't get it anywhere else.

kenken244

Jul 29, 2019
the most recent gregtech versions have wireless redstone that you can attach to your machines, and its own simple logic blocks, that work in 3 dimensions.

agaricus

Jul 29, 2019
Here's a couple updates on replacements I've used while converting an old world, if anyone is interested:

Gems: RedPower adds ruby and sapphire gems. GregTech does too, so I've converted the gems accordingly. However, this does significantly alter game balance: GregTech gems are much rarer and only occur in certain biomes, in fact GregoriusT recommends disabling RedPower gem ore generation when using his mod. Wasn't sure what to replace green sapphire with, so I used vanilla emeralds - but again, this does alter game balance. Might change this later. RedPower and GregTech/vanila/GregTech gem ores for comparison:

kGpuvCg.png

Gemstone Tools: RP2's gem tools are similar to diamond, except have 500 uses instead of 1562. So I just converted any existing gem swords/pickaxes/axes/hoes items to their diamond equivalents with 500 uses left. Unfortunately this doesn't replace any future possible gemstone tools. Considering Gemscraft, looks very nice as a more thorough alternative, adds a handful of new gems and tools with comparable durability to RedPower2, instead of all 500 uses, they are: topaz (550), amethyst (600), sapphire (650), emerald (700), ruby (750).

Tungsten: Replaced with GregTech tungstate ore, close enough.

Nikolite: Immibis' TubeStuff mod adds a nikolite storage block (and several others). This block is available even if RedPower is not installed. So to avoid holes where nikolite ore generated, I replaced RP2 nikolite with TubeStuff's nikolite storage block. Looks somewhat out of place while mining, but better than nothing.

Sickle: This handy tool for collecting leaves, grass, etc. now has a couple possible alternatives.

For comparison, the RedPower sickle comes in 8 variations, of differing durability. It is a fairly cheap recipe, suitable for early game. Here's the area it covers, when used on leaves (left-click, as if mining):
mLmJfH1.png

Extra Utilities 0.1.3 adds a Foliage Axe, crafted with "unstable ingots". Unlike RedPower sickles, it only comes in one variation, and is activated by right-click instead of left-click. But it covers a huge volume:

ownZ9xg.jpg

(ignore the decayed leaves, those are a result of using //set leaves in WorldEdit create this large mass of blocks). Using the axe I was able to clear out all of the leaves shown here very quickly. This is the item I replaced all my sickles with during world conversion.

However, newer versions of Extra Utils removed the Foliage Axe.

Fortunately, as mentioned earlier in this thread and in Direwolf's mod spotlight, Dartcraft adds a comparable tool, the Force Mitts. I installed this mod mainly for the Force Mitts, though there's plenty of other interesting features added as well. The mitts are crafted with a force ingot, work on leaves, grass, etc., and cover a range between RedPower's sickle and ExtraUtils 0.1.3's foliage axe:

7Tj11pf.jpg

Also they create nifty particle effects when used. Not bad a sickle replacement tool at all.

Greylocke

Jul 29, 2019
the most recent gregtech versions have wireless redstone that you can attach to your machines, and its own simple logic blocks, that work in 3 dimensions.
Yeah, not a GT fan but not hatin' on those that are. Besides, I've removed IC2 from my modpack.

Still looking for a good compact redstone logic mod. MFR's RedNet Controller is overkill, and although RedNet wire is cool, I don't have a practical way of removing the rest of the mod. I'd use a RedNet module, if it were available.

BTW- in light of this recent post, this thread just became even more interesting.

Numerios

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently coding my own replacement for RedPower :)
At the time of this post I have almost all the important bits of RP:World and I made it as a replacement - it uses the same damage values/metadata as RedPower does (easier converting from one mod to another).
GitHub: http://github.com/numerios/NumiRP

Minecraft_2013-05-25_18-04-40.png

For those of you who are interested: This mod will be released in the initial version soon (within a week), just look at the GitHub.
(P.S. For those who'd ask: It's only based on Elo's work, all textures and code are mine)

ds84182

Jul 29, 2019
I have a mod that is currently in development that lets you program your own sorting systems with the Lua Scripting language. I still have a few bugs to fix but it could completely replace Redpower2 in terms of sorting.

Hadrian

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently coding my own replacement for RedPower :)
At the time of this post I have almost all the important bits of RP:World and I made it as a replacement - it uses the same damage values/metadata as RedPower does (easier converting from one mod to another).
GitHub: http://github.com/numerios/NumiRP

Thank you so much! :D You don't know how long I wished someone would just make a replacement RedPower just for the sake of updating!

Orcao

Jul 29, 2019
Computercraft can currently cover wireless redstone functionality, and logic gate functionality. Surprised this isn't on the list yet.

Spaceshipable

Jul 29, 2019
There's a Universal electricity mod that can make airships called complex machines, which I think could probably replace frames. I tried making one today but have no clue when it comes to UE, if anyone has any luck please, please post a how-to!

twoiko

Jul 29, 2019
RP Logic/Wiring replacement: RedLogic
BC3 Gates can replace most RP Logic gates and can do some more advanced item sorting thanks to Golden Gates.