Recommended world restarts in 1.6.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

iN3RDDannyx

Jul 29, 2019
This morning Slowpoke tweeted several thing about the future of the FTB mod packs. These were his tweets:

Just spoke to King Lemming, with TE upgrading to TE3 and new fluid system going into Forge, FTB is now recommending world restarts in 1.6.
Wanted to get this information out so Server Admins can prepare as needed. Based on this pack releases in 1.5 will remain None Recommended.
I'm told worlds can carry over into 1.6. But things like all liquids will prob vanish, TE machines will have their sides reset etc.

Good that slow is keeping us up-to-date with the packs. Just any thoughts that now the restarts will be in 1.6 and not in 1.5.2 as first thought?

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
It should be noted that it's *recommended* that a world reset is done. Personally, I see no harm in taking a backup and seeing how you go. Some things are sure to break/change but if you can manage those, well .. yeah ..

Worth a shot, if you wish. Or, you can take it on as an opportunity for a fresh slate.

iN3RDDannyx

Jul 29, 2019
With no redpower the main thing is many builds will be broken. In one of his tweets he say that a good server admin should be able to make the move from 1.5 to 1.6. But there is not harm as you said in tringy to make the move between versions. Guess all we can is wait for 1.5/1.6 and see how that goes.

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
There's always the potential of RP in 1.6, but needless to say there's no plan on it so far. Myself, I've been making my recent builds and base without RP .. so, CC based systems, buildcraft red/blue pipe wire and structure pipes, etc. It's an interesting process unto itself, and if a server has a month to "de-RP" themselves, this sort of issue can be tackled. Of course, if someone's used RP microblocks to hold up a lava block .. yeah .. that could quickly turn ugly. Plus, there's no real (any?) replacement for RP frames.

And this is why, backups are awesome ;)

Mjw

Jul 29, 2019
so when will 1.6 come out and when will the ftb packs update to 1.6? :p

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, that's the million dollar question.

Because you know, I was about to start a 1.5.2 server with my friends... >_<

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Plus, there's no real (any?) replacement for RP frames.

Other than frame quarries and variants thereof is there anything else that the majority of people would miss when it comes to frames? I'm guessing no. Or, put another way, what people want to replace is an automatic, mobile, mining operation. Looking at that way the answer is yes, provided one has CC installed.

The turtle itself can quarry.

Given that BC Quarry only needs 3 blocks these days (quarry, power tesseract, item tesseract) it is trivial to make a mobile 9x9 quarry with a turtle. Drop 3 blocks, wait, pick up those 3 blocks, advance 9 blocks, drop those 3 blocks, wait...

An inventive person might actually be able to get a turtle to make a full 64x64 quarry. I wouldn't. I mean, who cares if the quarry is 9x9 or 64x64 when you're not the one moving it around? But it can be done.

Heck, one might be able to turtle up an IC2 quarry if one is so inclined. :)

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Other than frame quarries and variants thereof is there anything else that the majority of people would miss when it comes to frames? I'm guessing no. Or, put another way, what people want to replace is an automatic, mobile, mining operation. Looking at that way the answer is yes, provided one has CC installed.

The turtle itself can quarry.

Given that BC Quarry only needs 3 blocks these days (quarry, power tesseract, item tesseract) it is trivial to make a mobile 9x9 quarry with a turtle. Drop 3 blocks, wait, pick up those 3 blocks, advance 9 blocks, drop those 3 blocks, wait...

An inventive person might actually be able to get a turtle to make a full 64x64 quarry. I wouldn't. I mean, who cares if the quarry is 9x9 or 64x64 when you're not the one moving it around? But it can be done.

Heck, one might be able to turtle up an IC2 quarry if one is so inclined. :)

Can a turtle set the frequency details, or are they saved with a tesseract when a tesseract is broken and replaced?

Greyed

Jul 29, 2019
Can a turtle set the frequency details, or are they saved with a tesseract when a tesseract is broken and replaced?

I think at the moment they are not saved and, admittedly, that is the one thing I didn't think of. Touche, good sir, touche.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Still, it would work with a mining wells. Doesn't matter how fast you gain resources if it's automated. Small scale version of DW20's "recent" mining ship.

Wyld

Jul 29, 2019
I have *heard* that you can use shiny ingots, mush it up into dust, and hit a tesseract with it .. and it will retain settings.

Disclaimer: I always forget to test this :p

Ako_the_Builder

Jul 29, 2019
I'll miss the sliding doors and elevators you can make with frames, along with crushing walls of doom.

This can be done with mffs, although the doors don't slide they just *poof*

Some frame applications I've used that, to the best of my knowledge, can't be replicated: frame lift and mobile aura node tug

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
The only RP2 thing that has no replacement yet are the frames, anyway. Which makes me wonder why, exactly, nobody else has ever tried to make anything like them.
Ugocraft doesn't count.

connerity1

Jul 29, 2019
I have *heard* that you can use shiny ingots, mush it up into dust, and hit a tesseract with it .. and it will retain settings.

Disclaimer: I always forget to test this :p

Does not appear to be working, tried both right-clicking and shift-right-clicking.

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
There is one other thing that RP has that nothing else does - bundled cable that can interface with Computercraft.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Actually, other way around, CC had permission from elo to interface with bundled cables.