Tree Breeding (Spoilers)

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Willow needs damp biome to be bred, and river is normal. I'm not sure any damp biome will work, since green hills (if you have EBXL) didn't work for me.
Swamps and redwood forests do work.

Reactions: baw179

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone 100% confirm that apple oaks and silver birch will produce willow in a river biome please?
Willow needs any two of {Oak, Birch, Lime}, a temperature between 70% and 150%, a humidity between 90% and 200%.
Sipiri (the other tree with specific temp/humid needs):
Kapok + Mahagony, Temp:90%-190%, Humid:90%-200%

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Willow needs damp biome to be bred, and river is normal. I'm not sure any damp biome will work, since green hills (if you have EBXL) didn't work for me.
Swamps and redwood forests do work.

Thanks. So the wikis need editing then as they state the following which is factually incorrect :

Willow * Oak + Birch (10%)

Oak + Silver Lime (10%)
Birch + Silver Lime (10%) 1x1

* Must be bred in a wet biome (Swampy, River, etc.)

Something else that isn't mentioned is pure silver limes and pure jungles not only produce teak but also bull pine/silver lime hybrids. Not sure whether this is a bug as usually new species are pure. I can 100% confirm this as I thought I was going mad first time, thinking I must've had a bull pine hybrid sapling mixed in somewhere, but after getting my teak I ripped them all down and treealysed the saplings in my 'pures' chest again to make sure I only had pure silver limes and jungles and replanted them. Once again I got a few mutations to bull pine/silver lime (all the silver limes were silver lime/jungle hybrids, no silver lime/bull pine hybrids). There were no other trees or leaves within 100 blocks of the area.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed that if after breeding some set of trees you cut them down and plant new ones they often get first mutations with traits from previously planted trees, this may have something to do with mechanics of the process. Someone may have to confirm this.

Btw i just bred this:
20130517224319.png

A single tree give me over 80 saplings and around a stack of apples. It's still 1.4.7, so sappiness is not an issue.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
I've noticed that if after breeding some set of trees you cut them down and plant new ones they often get first mutations with traits from previously planted trees, this may have something to do with mechanics of the process. Someone may have to confirm this.

I've also observed mutations occurring as though current trees are being crossed with ones that have already been chopped down. Do bees hold on to pollen from old trees for a while and sometimes spread it to new trees? Exact mechanics would be good to know, since I was assuming it was more of a "while bees are running, pick two random leaf blocks in the area, and if they're different, mutate one with the other" sort of thing.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
What did you breed to get the Papaya and Lemon?

Anyone else made further discoveries on the new breeds? Mahoe, Palm, Maple, etc?

I looked at the code, which is how most spoilers get found. I think the only versions with these trees are 1.5.1+

Lemon - Lime + Cherry
Plum - Lemon + Cherry
Sugar Maple - Lime + Larch
Blue Mahoe - Birch + Acacia
Papaya - Jungle + Cherry
Date Palm - Jungle + Papaya

Lemons and Plums make fruit juice, like apples. For fementers. Papayas do not

Reactions: Jadzi

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I've also observed mutations occurring as though current trees are being crossed with ones that have already been chopped down. Do bees hold on to pollen from old trees for a while and sometimes spread it to new trees? Exact mechanics would be good to know, since I was assuming it was more of a "while bees are running, pick two random leaf blocks in the area, and if they're different, mutate one with the other" sort of thing.
Yes, this is correct. I think Sengir mentioned something like this at his video about the future manual pollination with the alveary sieves. He had some bugs, that pollination could be "stuck", when no mateable tree could be found.

FatalLozenge

Jul 29, 2019
Do Teak leaves not mutate? I am having a hell of a time getting ebony, even with my apiaries up on stilts.... I have only seen one mutated leaf, on a Kapok, and have been at it for hours. UGH.

Kocyk

Jul 29, 2019
Try maybe getting Kapok leaves near ground level by digging 1x1 hole and planting it there? It always work for me.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
Do Teak leaves not mutate? I am having a hell of a time getting ebony, even with my apiaries up on stilts.... I have only seen one mutated leaf, on a Kapok, and have been at it for hours. UGH.

Funnily enough I'm actually at the same stage as you! I've got my kapoks and teaks set up and hope to find them mutated tomorrow when I log on. My hives are at ground level but I put my teaks up on a 2 high dirt pillar. Before I logged off 3 of the kapok leaves had mutated, 2 right on the very top and 1 on the underside so the bees (industrious) can evidently reach okay from ground level. I didn't get any ebony saps from them yet though, they were just hybrids. I'll update you tomorrow.

http://i.imgur.com/9Ccqgpn.png

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
This surprises you? Don't bees have 3 numbers for pollination level. The two that are the same are X and Y the third is Z.

baw179

Jul 29, 2019

Hi, further to my post above I've just logged on to find that only one of the kapok trees has mutations and that is one right at the back in my picture link. As you can see, the hive was already raised up 2 blocks above the ground there so I believe that you need to do that in order to get any ebony mutations as hives at ground level are too far away. Interestingly, none of the teak trees had any mutations at all. I also went through approx 20-25 kapok-teak hybrids from that single tree before getting an ebony sap - I was getting worried for a short while!

chaselazerfish

Jul 29, 2019
Hello FTB mates, some of you like me have probably been wondering where the information for tree breeding has been. Look no more as a member of the minecraft forums posted a diagram of the breeding combinations a few days ago and up until now I've not been able to verify that its right (I haven't been able to completely verify it still since it takes ages to get anything) but I've gotten up to the sweet chestnut following the diagram.

Link to the original post for the diagram:

Written out:
Oak + Birch = Silver lime 15% chance
Oak + Birch = Willow 10% chance *
Oak + Spruce = Mundane Larch 15% chance
Oak + Silver lime = Cherry 10% chance
Oak + Silver lime = Willow 10% chance *

*With the help of MouseyPounds and through my own and other forum members experience we believe the trees have a requirement of being in a swamp or a damp humidity biome in order to get a willow sapling mutation*

Birch + Silver lime = Cherry 10% chance
Birch + Spruce = Mundane Larch 15% chance
Birch + Silver lime = Willow 10% chance

Spruce + Mundane Larch = Bull Pine 10% chance

Bull Pine + Mundane Larch = Sequoia 5% chance

Jungle + Silver lime = Teak 10% chance
Jungle + Teak = Kapok 10% chance

Teak + Silver lime = Balsa 10% chance
Teak + Balsa = Desert Acacia 10% chance
Teak + Kapok = Myrtle Ebony 10% chance

wenge I think maybe bred by combining balsa and desert acacia, but it has no arrow and I haven't been able to get a sapling yet so its unconfirmed
Wenge + Balsa = Baobob 10% chance

Kapok + Myrtle Ebony = Yellow Meranti 10% chance
Kapok + Yellow Meranti = Willow 10% chance

Cherry + Silver lime = Walnut 10% chance
Cherry + Walnut = Chestnut 10% chance

Walnut + Silver lime = Chestnut 10% chance

Tell me if I missed something.

The key I've found is to create gigantic forests of the tree combo you need and have pure bee farms cycling 24/7 scattered throughout the forest.
I looked and I did not see Mahogany which I think is either Kapok + Ebony Or Teak + Ebony

FatalLozenge

Jul 29, 2019
Hi, further to my post above I've just logged on to find that only one of the kapok trees has mutations and that is one right at the back in my picture link. As you can see, the hive was already raised up 2 blocks above the ground there so I believe that you need to do that in order to get any ebony mutations as hives at ground level are too far away. Interestingly, none of the teak trees had any mutations at all. I also went through approx 20-25 kapok-teak hybrids from that single tree before getting an ebony sap - I was getting worried for a short while!

So after a about 100 non-ebony saplings, I was finally able to get the 9 (!) needed. Now working on the yellow meranti, having the same issue where it has been running a long time, but I am not seeing any sports.

I did what was suggested by Kocyk, and it works, thanks. I was even growing the Kapok trees out of 4 deep holes to shorten them, but maybe I need to go even lower...

baw179

Jul 29, 2019
So after a about 100 non-ebony saplings, I was finally able to get the 9 (!) needed. Now working on the yellow meranti, having the same issue where it has been running a long time, but I am not seeing any sports.

I did what was suggested by Kocyk, and it works, thanks. I was even growing the Kapok trees out of 4 deep holes to shorten them, but maybe I need to go even lower...

I've got meranti a few hours ago. I raised my 4 apiaries 2 blocks above ground and dug down 1 block for the kapok and planted the saps in the hole. No problems with them mutating. I got really lucky as the first mutated leaf was a meranti! Win!

Does anyone know if the number of "flowers" planted has any effect on the mutation speed or is it all down the pollination trait on the bees? I don't particularly like having my ground littered with flowers and I was thinking of paving it and just giving each of my industrious bees a single flower to work with. Would that still be as effective?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I've got meranti a few hours ago. I raised my 4 apiaries 2 blocks above ground and dug down 1 block for the kapok and planted the saps in the hole. No problems with them mutating. I got really lucky as the first mutated leaf was a meranti! Win!

Does anyone know if the number of "flowers" planted has any effect on the mutation speed or is it all down the pollination trait on the bees? I don't particularly like having my ground littered with flowers and I was thinking of paving it and just giving each of my industrious bees a single flower to work with. Would that still be as effective?
The number of flowers is irrelevant, as long as at least one is available.

Reactions: baw179