Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Heliomance

Jul 29, 2019
(Xycraft quartz has a use ._.)
What use? It doesn't even give enough light to stop mobs spawning, it's just annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1368863433][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are there any block breaking machines in Ultimate other than the Arcane Bore that can function like a silk touch pickaxe? I've had issues with the bore and lag.
Are you leaving the Bore running while you go off and do other things? Due to an oddity in how it works, it can drain aura from nodes that aren't loaded, and this causes massive lag. If you're going to leave it running, you need to make sure that at the very least, it and the node it's drawing power from are both chunk loaded.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
You could set a gate above the barrel to flash whenever an item goes through it (they switch graphical state when emitting a redstone signal). There are drawbacks to this, however: You'd need to make sure only items intended for the barrel go through the pipe directly above it, which makes overflow a bit of a pain to manage.

Reactions: kleshas

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
What use? It doesn't even give enough light to stop mobs spawning, it's just annoying.[DOUBLEPOST=1368863433][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are you leaving the Bore running while you go off and do other things? Due to an oddity in how it works, it can drain aura from nodes that aren't loaded, and this causes massive lag. If you're going to leave it running, you need to make sure that at the very least, it and the node it's drawing power from are both chunk loaded.
The use of xycraft quartz is to be annoying. And spike traps. And item destruction. And decoration, like much of xycraft.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Are there any block breaking machines in Ultimate other than the Arcane Bore that can function like a silk touch pickaxe? I've had issues with the bore and lag.

There are none - the bore is the only one with this feature. Silk touch auto-mining is a neat toy, but not something that gives you noticable benefits unless you run GregTech. And Greg himself is firmly opposed to the idea. He'll yell at you for suggesting it (because too many people keep doing it). He wants to keep an advantage to manual mining (especially using his rock cutter tool) that no machine can replicate. It's only fair since the player is investing extra time and effort.

DIMT

Jul 29, 2019
EDIT
I have found that the Tubestuff block breaker is able to silk touch blocks when given a silk touch pickaxe. It throws them in the direction opposite the block, and works will with minefactory conveyors.

Are you leaving the Bore running while you go off and do other things?
No, when a bore was running our ticks would shoot down to 1 per 3-4 seconds at random. It would happen even when unpowered, removing the block would remove the lag immediately. The lag was not always there, but it was only there with the bore.

There are none - the bore is the only one with this feature.
Thank you.

dedbbs

Jul 29, 2019
There are none - the bore is the only one with this feature. Silk touch auto-mining is a neat toy, but not something that gives you noticable benefits unless you run GregTech. And Greg himself is firmly opposed to the idea. He'll yell at you for suggesting it (because too many people keep doing it). He wants to keep an advantage to manual mining (especially using his rock cutter tool) that no machine can replicate. It's only fair since the player is investing extra time and effort.

A fortune pick III seems to give better results than the Industrial Grinder for all of the blocks that a silk touch pick would be effective on. There are many reasons one could want silk touched ores; silk touch exists in Vanilla for a reason, after all. Some people just want ore blocks from gems, redstone, coal, and so on. Sure, as far as Greg is concerned within his own mod, it's entirely within Greg's power within to change his own mod, and even within Greg's power to make nerfing other mods a possibility as well, but to suggest the only reason that someone would want to Silk Touch ores (and to suggest that no machine should exist to automatically do so) only because of GregTech is silly. On top of it, I wonder why go out and ignore his original question and treat it like he asked, "Please tell me why I can't automatically silk touch mine ores with other machines?" rather than the simple question he did ask.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
A fortune pick III seems to give better results than the Industrial Grinder for all of the blocks that a silk touch pick would be effective on. There are many reasons one could want silk touched ores; silk touch exists in Vanilla for a reason, after all. Some people just want ore blocks from gems, redstone, coal, and so on. Sure, as far as Greg is concerned within his own mod, it's entirely within Greg's power within to change his own mod, and even within Greg's power to make nerfing other mods a possibility as well, but to suggest the only reason that someone would want to Silk Touch ores (and to suggest that no machine should exist to automatically do so) only because of GregTech is silly. On top of it, I wonder why go out and ignore his original question and treat it like he asked, "Please tell me why I can't automatically silk touch mine ores with other machines?" rather than the simple question he did ask.

Wow. Did you eat something wrong this morning, or are you always such a fun guy to be around?

If you'd reread my post again, you'll notice that I did answer his question. With the very first three words, in fact.

And there are plenty of good reasons to use silk touch when you have GregTech available. Such as being able to get thorium dust from coal ore, or diamond dust from nikolite, or many others. Of course, if you'd rather increase your nikolite income even beyond that of the Grinder and don't care about diamonds, then sure, sue Fortune instead. That's what we call having options.

Bomb Bloke

Jul 29, 2019
I get the impression that Fortune III doesn't outperform Silk Touch in all instances. It gives me a ridiculous amount of lapis, for example, but it seems even the macerator nets more redstone dust then Fortune will.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best way to keep a carpenter automatically stocked with just enough stuff when attached to an AE network. I hoped that I could just plop an ME Interface down and tell it to keep the right amount of material stocked and it would pass over, but no such luck.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
^ Sorry, I have no answers.

I have a question though. How what size of boiler can you power with a t5 blaze farm?

Shenzo

Jul 29, 2019
What's the best way to keep a carpenter automatically stocked with just enough stuff when attached to an AE network. I hoped that I could just plop an ME Interface down and tell it to keep the right amount of material stocked and it would pass over, but no such luck.

you could use a export bus on relays and then go to regulators, i think you can connect the export bus directly to the regulator =]. If there is any better way let me know ;D

Can frames move blocks through forcefields? I'm making a semi-automatic wither farm but i can't move the deployers in the forcefield to construct the wither.
Yesterday it was working but i was messing with the redstone to move more 1 block
2013-05-18_10.50.54.png

I've to know how to use spoilers and put images e.e

EDIT: Now i can't even spawn the wither with deployers e.e I think i have to reset the server
I play on Ultimate 1.01

ImOnMars

Jul 29, 2019
Fairly new to FTB, using the mindcrack pack with a few friends for the first time. 1. I am having an issue keeping pressure in waterproof Buildcraft pipes (Pumping lava directly into geothermal gens) With the Buildcraft pump powered by 2 redstone engines I was running great for a few hours just powering base. Started up the quarry for the first time and It continued to pump fine for about 3 hours until 2 of the pumps just seem to have stopped pumping. The lava is just sitting at random points in the pipes. This all goes on directly below my base from a giant lava lake, so I know it is not a chunk loading issue. 2. Running the quarry for the first time i had another odd situation. I ran the quarry 40x40 in the ocean. I got tons of copper/tin/iron/misc ores, even gems. BUT not ONE SINGLE diamond, redstone, or Lapizlazuli. Is this due to where I placed the quarry (ocean)? Does water wash away the blocks before they are picked up by quarry? I have seen other people put water blocks in the corners of the quarry to make it go through lava, i figured this would work the same. ANY and ALL advice would be appriciated! im noob.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a good enchanting mod? I tried using liquid xp but the damn table wont work for me. Im sad at all the wasted exp too. Ive still never done an enchantment but Im sitting on 97 legit levels(No farms or anything) and 3 medallions of lv30. And this damn enchanter wont work and I finally wanna try to enchant my pickaxe so I can farm in the end and finally make a t2 solar panel. ;;

tehBlobLord

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a good enchanting mod? I tried using liquid xp but the damn table wont work for me. Im sad at all the wasted exp too. Ive still never done an enchantment but Im sitting on 97 legit levels(No farms or anything) and 3 medallions of lv30. And this damn enchanter wont work and I finally wanna try to enchant my pickaxe so I can farm in the end and finally make a t2 solar panel. ;;
You create an enchantment table: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchantment_Table
then surround it by about 16 books and use that.
If you don't like the vanilla GUI then you can use BetterEnchanting, Enchantments+ or any other similar mod.

unspunreality

Jul 29, 2019
You create an enchantment table: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Enchantment_Table
then surround it by about 16 books and use that.
If you don't like the vanilla GUI then you can use BetterEnchanting, Enchantments+ or any other similar mod.

I have one already. But I wanna store exp or get other functunality out of it like I had hoped with liquid exp. Im sitting on 92 levels. With a probably wasted 90 more in liquid exp medallions. I wanna use it. Or save it. =/

Zjarek_S

Jul 29, 2019
In 1.5.1, my TC super pick places torches when I right click.Is it a bug or a feature?
Feature and an awesome one. Basically when you right click with TC tools (shovel, axe, mattock, pick) it will place block that is on the right from it on hotbar. It was funny when it was introduced, because you could place block on the space that you are in and suffocate this way.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Fairly new to FTB, using the mindcrack pack with a few friends for the first time. 1. I am having an issue keeping pressure in waterproof Buildcraft pipes (Pumping lava directly into geothermal gens) With the Buildcraft pump powered by 2 redstone engines I was running great for a few hours just powering base. Started up the quarry for the first time and It continued to pump fine for about 3 hours until 2 of the pumps just seem to have stopped pumping. The lava is just sitting at random points in the pipes. This all goes on directly below my base from a giant lava lake, so I know it is not a chunk loading issue. 2. Running the quarry for the first time i had another odd situation. I ran the quarry 40x40 in the ocean. I got tons of copper/tin/iron/misc ores, even gems. BUT not ONE SINGLE diamond, redstone, or Lapizlazuli. Is this due to where I placed the quarry (ocean)? Does water wash away the blocks before they are picked up by quarry? I have seen other people put water blocks in the corners of the quarry to make it go through lava, i figured this would work the same. ANY and ALL advice would be appriciated! im noob.

1.) Sometimes multiple buildcraft pumps in close proximity interfere with each other. But it's a very rare case. More likely is the fact that you have exhausted all lava sourceblocks. Lava is not like water, the flowing bits don't disappear instantly but stick around for a couple minutes, up to half an hour or so. And since you can pump only sourceblocks, it might appear like there is still lava there when in fact there isn't.

2.) Did your quarry make it all the way down to bedrock? It sounds like it simply isn't deep enough yet, since all the stuff you named that you didn't get is very deep down.