BC Energy Inquiry

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
So, I have this system of Redstone Energy Cells set up. Two separate circuits, with two cells each, so I can cycle them to avoid an explosion. It's kinda clunky, and I know I could do it better, because it's so very...manual. I have to keep a constant eye on it while I'm charging it (electrical engines powered by advanced solar panels) in order to avoid explosions. I really wish there was a way to leave it running, go caving for a while, or...whatever, and then come back to my house and discover that nothing has exploded, and that those R.E.C.'s are completely charged, ready to tackle the unrefined plunder I've returned with.

I just recently discovered the existence of redstone energy conduit. Tell me...is their power distribution automated? In other words, could I leave my system running, all engines on, all cells emitting, without risking a boom? Also, once both cells in the circuit are charged, will the cells cease emitting to one another? Lastly, can I run a combination of both energy conduits and conductive pipe and still have it work equally as well (or better, due to the conductive pipe's much lower rate of energy loss)?

I'm just sick of babysitting. It's totally worth the trouble, don't get me wrong, but there has to be a better way. Please don't ask for screenshots. It's not that I need help with the design (though I'm sure some of you would take one look at my set-up and begin laughing hysterically). It's that I need information about the technical properties of the redstone conduit.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, conduits will make it so your engines never overheat. ( They never explode. )

No.... if they run out of water they will still explode, correct setup with some redundancy will stop them from exploding :D but yes redstone energy conduits will help

Landswimmer

Jul 29, 2019
No.... if they run out of water they will still explode, correct setup with some redundancy will stop them from exploding :D but yes redstone energy conduits will help
1. He's using electrical engines.
2. The only engine that I know have that explodes is the hobbyist steam engine, and that's only when it's at 100C+ and you put water in it.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
1. He's using electrical engines.
2. The only engine that I know have that explodes is the hobbyist steam engine, and that's only when it's at 100C+ and you put water in it.

There is the combustion engine that very few people seem to use anymore. Any if you use BC Power tubes they can explode if loaded with too much energy.

Of course all that is rendered moot as people skip using them these days. Well I know I do.

Landswimmer

Jul 29, 2019
There is the combustion engine that very few people seem to use anymore. Any if you use BC Power tubes they can explode if loaded with too much energy.

Of course all that is rendered moot as people skip using them these days. Well I know I do.

I know about the tubes, and I skip them too, so much energy loss. I had no idea the combustion engine still existed though.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm just sick of babysitting.

Same goes for pretty much everybody and that's why no one used conductive pipes anymore (unless you're a masochist). I think it's quite funny though that you did create the cells but didn't make any conduits. They're the bee's knees!

Seriously though: make them and never look back. The change where BC pipes started exploding was the most ridiculous ever in the history of BC.

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
Same goes for pretty much everybody and that's why no one used conductive pipes anymore (unless you're a masochist). I think it's quite funny though that you did create the cells but didn't make any conduits. They're the bee's knees!

Seriously though: make them and never look back. The change where BC pipes started exploding was the most ridiculous ever in the history of BC.

Yeah, considering that it has the appearance of working like electricity, it's stupid that it can build up in the line like a liquid. Booooo!!! The only reason I didn't make any right away is because the wiki article says they lose 5% of their energy per block. I really didn't like that. I made some last night and they seem to transmit better, but in theory they have a higher energy loss than gold conductive pipe. So am I missing something? Will using a 20-block-long run of conduit result in 100% energy loss and zero transmission?

ALSO! It would be really damn cool if there were more settings for the conduit that allow you to set send/receive individually for each object attached, instead of just send OR recieve for everything attached to that bit of conduit. Again, am I missing something there?

When I get the design finished, I'll take screens, and put it up for you guys to take a look at. I think I might do a 'before' and 'after'.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
Hell no! They lose 5%, period, not per block! So no matter if you use 2 or 200 conduits you will only ever lose 5%. So only for very short stretches pipes are more efficient (aside from the blowing up crap).

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
Hell no! They lose 5%, period, not per block! So no matter if you use 2 or 200 conduits you will only ever lose 5%. So only for very short stretches pipes are more efficient (aside from the blowing up crap).

:eek:

Damn, I totally misunderstood the wording of the wiki page. So since conductive pipes lose .5% per block, after 10 blocks, the energy loss would be exactly the same as running an endless line of conduit? You're absolutely sure that's true?

southernfriedbb

Jul 29, 2019

Damn, I totally misunderstood the wording of the wiki page. So since conductive pipes lose .5% per block, after 10 blocks, the energy loss would be exactly the same as running an endless line of conduit? You're absolutely sure that's true?
Yeah, pretty sure. You've got me on the math :p but the loss on conduits is 5% no matter the length of the run.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019

Yup. :)

King Lemming

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, considering that it has the appearance of working like electricity, it's stupid that it can build up in the line like a liquid. Booooo!!! The only reason I didn't make any right away is because the wiki article says they lose 5% of their energy per block. I really didn't like that. I made some last night and they seem to transmit better, but in theory they have a higher energy loss than gold conductive pipe. So am I missing something? Will using a 20-block-long run of conduit result in 100% energy loss and zero transmission?

ALSO! It would be really damn cool if there were more settings for the conduit that allow you to set send/receive individually for each object attached, instead of just send OR recieve for everything attached to that bit of conduit. Again, am I missing something there?

When I get the design finished, I'll take screens, and put it up for you guys to take a look at. I think I might do a 'before' and 'after'.

It's definitely 5% for the network, period. Also, in 1.5+, that's only going from BC -> Conduit. If you start with a TE engine or the Cell, there is no loss.

The conduit having to have the same mode for all sides is a BuildCraft limitation from the time when they were created. Now that the BC power api has changed, we will be adjusting how Conduits (and Liquiducts) can be configured.

Gun_Shy

Jul 29, 2019
It's definitely 5% for the network, period. Also, in 1.5+, that's only going from BC -> Conduit. If you start with a TE engine or the Cell, there is no loss.

The conduit having to have the same mode for all sides is a BuildCraft limitation from the time when they were created. Now that the BC power api has changed, we will be adjusting how Conduits (and Liquiducts) can be configured.

Snap. Well I can't wait until FTB updates, then. I'll have to re-fenagle my power grid a wee bit, but that'll be rad.