Max Power for the Matter Fabricator

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
I have a matter fabricator going right now with 56 advanced solar panels and 8 ultimate solar panels. I am slowly upgrading all of the advanced into ultimates so I will end up with 64 ultimates feeding my matter fabricator. I am playing on a server with the mindcrack pack. Greg tech is on hard mode. I want to know if I can put all ultimates into one matter fabricator and if not then how many can I have?

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
From what I read, it can accept packets up to 8 192 EU. Not exactly sure if it is also the limit per tick or not, but 16 ultimate solar panels should provide it with the 8192 EU/t, making it quite decent in term of speed, so much that your scrap might not be fast enough.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
The Matter Fabricator does not have a maximum energy consumption limit. Therefore, it can be used as an energy sink to consume energy that's left over from other machines connected to the same power grid.

From: http://feed-the-beast.wikia.com/wiki/Matter_Fabricator
The same page also states "It will safely take 8192 EU/t, quad EV, per side."
So the limit would be 49 152 EU/t, if you input the 8192 EU/t to each of the 6 sides.

That would also mean that you give up on any automation at all.

With 1 input and 1 output sides, the max would then be 32 768 EU/t.

Ok, that's a very high number, and even fusion reactors don't output that much, but there still seems to be a limit.

That is only if the page is correct, and as it contradicts itself on the matter, i am not exactly sure.

earthmage7

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the mindcrack pack has updated yet but it will soon hopefully :)

That would limit the power though right?

I thought I could put 8192 into each side. Did that change?

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019
The same page also states "It will safely take 8192 EU/t, quad EV, per side."
So the limit would be 49 152 EU/t, if you input the 8192 EU/t to each of the 6 sides.

That would also mean that you give up on any automation at all.

With 1 input and 1 output sides, the max would then be 32 768 EU/t.

Ok, that's a very high number, and even fusion reactors don't output that much, but there still seems to be a limit.

That is only if the page is correct, and as it contradicts itself on the matter, i am not exactly sure.
No you don't, you're forgetting the magic that is routers.

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Exadi

Jul 29, 2019
"It will safely take 8192 EU/t, quad EV, per side."

That is just another case of people mixing EU/t with EU/p. It can take (practically) unlimited EU/t but only in packets of 8192 EU. And in newer versions it will only use 8192 EU/t but you can still fill up its internal storage as fast as you want as long as it's in packets of 8192 EU.

Reactions: Bigglesworth

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Believe Greg has commented directly that it had a 1m EU/t overall cap and max packet size 8192. He changed that in the later 1.4.7 versions to 8192 EU/t cap and max packet size 8192.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
i'm playing on a server that's using the current version of the ultimate pack in the launcher, and i have 8 fusion reactors sending >256k eu/t to a matterfab in a uu factory setup. superconductor cable goes from the reactors to 128 HV transformers, so it's in packets of 512.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
Believe Greg has commented directly that it had a 1m EU/t overall cap and max packet size 8192. He changed that in the later 1.4.7 versions to 8192 EU/t cap and max packet size 8192.
this , specifically to prevent people using lightning rods in charged ages to instantly generate astronomical amounts of uu instantly. so if you are on the recommended.stable 1.4.7 gregtech then you can pump infinite eu in a tick more or less. new unstable version that got into the 1.0.2 ultimate, and greg says not to use on important worlds? limited eu per tick and spare packets can go stuff themselves. or, at least that was the plan. even some of the configs in 2.90h don't work, and he doesn't seem to be futzing with 1.4.7 anymore either. basically use ult 1.0.1. 1.0.2 at present a has too many issues that will never be resolved in 1.4.7.

Mash

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly, I don't blame people on mixing up eu/t and eu/p.

The two are used interchangeably everywhere. It's a bit of an annoying concept, as well.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
3/27/2013 - MC1.4.7 - 2.90h Beta - http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=106333#post106333
Warning: Don't update to this in important worlds, as it is a beta and could break things.
Nerfed the Matter Fabricator to a maximum of 8192EU/t instead of 1000000, unless the regular Massfab is enabled.
Fixed the Energy Bar in the Fusion Reactor.
Made the Centrifuge a MetaTileEntity.

problem is people don't really know the versions or the version changelog for the mods, just their pack, and if we're lucky the pack version.
before that change noted above, was behaviour as per 1.0.1 ultimate(the recommended version even now). 1.0.2 has that change in place.

is that a resolute answer now? taken from ( http://gregtech-addon.wikispaces.com/Change+Log )

MadDogTen

Jul 29, 2019
As most people are saying, The max packet size per a tick is 8192EU. Which that means as long as none of the packets going into it are over 8192EU/t, That you will be fine.

For example, The max solar panel gives of 512EU/t if I remember correctly, Which means that it doesn't exceed the limit of it. So you could have 1000 of these solar panels, and it would be just fine. But, It can only use ~8192EU/t per a Tick also, So once the internal buffer is full, the rest of the EU would be going to waste (Unless your storing it somewhere).

The best bet would be to make Multiple Matter Fabricators if your sending more then 8192EU/t into it. Meaning you need 1 Matter Fab for every 16 max solar Panels (Assuming all the power is only going to it).

TL;DR / Understand- You'll be fine with an infinite amount of Solar Panels.

3/27/2013 - MC1.4.7 - 2.90h Beta - http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&postID=106333#post106333
Warning: Don't update to this in important worlds, as it is a beta and could break things.
Nerfed the Matter Fabricator to a maximum of 8192EU/t instead of 1000000, unless the regular Massfab is enabled.
Fixed the Energy Bar in the Fusion Reactor.
Made the Centrifuge a MetaTileEntity.

problem is people don't really know the versions or the version changelog for the mods, just their pack, and if we're lucky the pack version.
before that change noted above, was behaviour as per 1.0.1 ultimate(the recommended version even now). 1.0.2 has that change in place.

is that a resolute answer now? taken from ( http://gregtech-addon.wikispaces.com/Change Log )
and I'm glad the work I put into updating the Changelog isn't going to waste. :)

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
and I'm glad the work I put into updating the Changelog isn't going to waste. :)
well hot dang, at least i for one must now thank you assiduously for doing it then. it gets awfully hairy trying to grasp the changes from the thread itself even when you know what greg said in it, if you don't have his comments darn near bookmarked.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
"packet size per a tick" and "8192EU/t per Tick".
It might be lines like those that don't help in the confusion between "per packet' (/p) and "per tick" (/t).
A packet is how much energy is generated or output by a single machine.
8192/p means that it would not accept the power coming from a machine that output more than that at once. On the top of my head, I can't remember of a single contraption that can output as much in a single block anyway. Even lightning rods only output packets of 8192 EU.

A tick is the smallest unit of time that the game is using for its calculations. In a perfect environment, 20 ticks = 1 second.
Most machines can only accept or output a set amount of energy every tick, like your ultimate solar panel outputting 512EU/t.

Where it gets complicated and messes up people's mind is thatthe very same solar panel will output his energy in a single packet into your EU network. That packet will have a size of 512 EU.

As I am writing it, I see that my explanation is not really making things clearer for me, so let's just sum it up by saying that if you are not playing ultimate version 1.0.2, then all your solar will actively speed up the fabricator. If you are on that version, putting more than 16 will make it originally charge its buffer faster, ut not operate faster.
That being said, as solar doesn't work as well during the night, it might be good to have 1 or 2 extras to charge a bit more for the night.

steelblueskies

Jul 29, 2019
what mithos said more or less.

sidenote. supercondensator can output 1 million eu packet (eu/p).quantum generator can output... well anything that doesn't overflow the variable size used to store it's output value.

supersidenote: new 1.0.2 gt machine upgrades to use mj make things weird. and god save the queen should we begin talking about the experimental ue support. lets just hope noone asks about anything involving those until sometime after ,say, mc 1.5.3.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
what mithos said more or less.

sidenote. supercondensator can output 1 million eu packet (eu/p).quantum generator can output... well anything that doesn't overflow the variable size used to store it's output value.

supersidenote: new 1.0.2 gt machine upgrades to use mj make things weird. and god save the queen should we begin talking about the experimental ue support. lets just hope noone asks about anything involving those until sometime after ,say, mc 1.5.3.
Those MJ upgrades are garbage though... Best to just Power convert your MJ into eu. They're probably "garbage" since it's easier to setup one power grid then two.