[CHALLENGE] (v4.3-ish 6/7/18) Refugee to Regent Kingdom Building Challenge

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

What do you think of the Serf to Supreme Challenge?

• City Construction Challenge was better!

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • It's okay, but there's definitely room for improvement

Votes: 35 27.1%
  • Give me my Electrics sooner!

Votes: 14 10.9%
  • I enjoy the slow introduction of mods.

Votes: 43 33.3%
  • I wish Element Animation would hurry up with the next episode.

Votes: 24 18.6%
  • I love it!

Votes: 51 39.5%

• Total voters

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
Ah, the infrequent challenge update!

As we go about building the castle we needed someplace to feed the workers, the troops, and yours truly so we went about and built a little kitchen. I like having Cooking For Blockheads for just this purpose. Now normally the tool recipes take iron (I think) but either that changed or one of the modpacks made it a little easier to use the harvestcraft tools.

I dove into adding a little spookiness when Halloween passed adding a graveyard near to our hamlet.

Of course with this being the Refugee to Regent challenge using CustomNPCs to add some citizens to our growing hamlet is key. We added the castle guards and the cook to feed the people in this update:

Now that we have guards we need a little place to meet people and deal with the business of the day. This satisfies the council chamber part of the challenge but still needs a little work before completion:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! Dropping by real quick with links to another album full of pictures. This time showcasing my disdain as a builder for MCA's spawned buildings and an API I'm making for ComputerCraft to make mining and digging out things you don't like (so you can make another one build something you like) as easy as two lines of code.

For example, to make a mineshaft ("layers" is the number of layers you want it to dig):
Code:
os.loadAPI("digAPI.lua")

digAPI.digMineshaft(layers)

If instead you decide you want a quarry (blocks says to dig this many blocks in a row, rows is how many rows you'd like):
Code:
os.loadAPI("digAPI.lua")

digAPI.digQuarry(blocks, rows, layers)

Here's the link to the GitHub so far. Code is experimental. Use at your own risk!

Here's the subject of my derision and the link (click the pic)!

Enjoy!

Last edited:

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
I'll probably have to start over since I lost my save. Do you guys have any mods or packs you like that add things to do in the stone age or earlier, preferably magic but other things are OK too? I tend to take a while to complete these but I also want to play with my shiny mods.

The Mobius Archives

Mar 31, 2013
www.youtube.com
I'll probably have to start over since I lost my save. Do you guys have any mods or packs you like that add things to do in the stone age or earlier, preferably magic but other things are OK too? I tend to take a while to complete these but I also want to play with my shiny mods.
I actually find early-stage mods hard to find, everyone seems to like diamonds or this weird iron stuff!

In the stone stage, I found builders' wands to be very helpful, they'll speed up your builds by allowing you to build floors easier.

If you want to pretty up the wood stage get yourself the Chickens mods (Chickens, More Chickens, and Hatchery) plus Quark then get yourself some wood chickens and raise some dye chickens. Quark adds stained planks that turn out very nice. If you like Decocraft raise a clay chicken then you can supply all the clay you need. Rustic also has painted wood so you may need NoMoreRecipeConflict if you use both.

For magic try Roots, you can likely use this earlier than Stone if you find the items out in the world some where or apply the rule of cool. Direwolf has a spotlight and once I finish my agricultural school I'll likely look at it as well.

You can also try Totemic, the whittling knife requires a piece of iron, but you may want to allow it for the rule of cool, or modify the recipe to use a second piece of flint or stone.

Reactions: Monarch_of_Gold

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey guys! No pics yet! Just wanted to let you know I've made another modpack and so far I'm enjoying it a lot. I haven't really sunk my teeth into a whole lot of mods because I've been having too much fun bashing through some roguelike dungeons and taking control of a lost city. I plan to redecorate the city once I've gained control, which will be no small feat -- all of the buildings will need blocks added to them to spice up the look (the large majority is hardened clay), though I've got chisel installed so that should make it a lot easier.

Quick question now that I think of it -- can you enchant the chisel? If so, can you enchant it with mending? That's currently my favorite enchant since I found a few tools with that on it. They never break!! I mean, you can apparently enchant flint and steel, so.

Reactions: The Mobius Archives

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question now that I think of it -- can you enchant the chisel? If so, can you enchant it with mending? That's currently my favorite enchant since I found a few tools with that on it. They never break!! I mean, you can apparently enchant flint and steel, so.

I know you could enchant it in 1.7.10. Don't know about 1.12.
BTW what's in your pack? Currently making my own (mostly just trying to get better performance for it now) to start the challenge on.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Which challenge? I've got a bit of everything. I'll type up the list once I'm home -- still at work right now.

Off the top of my head, I've got BoP, lost cities (they're both integrated to have a shared world type! Also customization!!), bibliocraft, iron chests, iron backpacks, chisel, thaumcraft, aether 2, buildcraft, ic2, computercraft (I hope I do, anyway), twilight forest, lootbags (it's fun and I'm a greedy goblin), extrautils, Mr crayfishs furniture mod, openblocks, modular powersuits, better FPS, railcraft, tinkers, Pam's and a bunch of others I can't remember. I started by rebuilding classic tekkit in modern Minecraft and then just added a bunch of stuff to it. No forestry. Don't read that abysmal list.

Playing the pack very comfortably (yet stubbornly) on 4gb ram. My computer sometimes acts weird beyond that, despite having 8gb.

On my phone so forgive abysmal formatting. Ugh. Also tired (someone has to be paid to scrub baseboards). And dusty.

E: Also ProjectE and Roguelike Dungeons.

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Alright, I'm home and awake, feeling like limp hamburger (hah). Here's the mod list, in alphabetical order:
  • Additional Pipes
  • AE2 Stuff
  • The Aether II
  • Akashic Tome
  • Antique Atlas
  • Applied Energistics 2
  • Aquatic
  • ArchitectureCraft
  • Advanced Generators
  • Baubles
  • Better FPS
  • Bibliocraft
  • Biomes o' Plenty
  • Buildcraft (B)
  • Chisel
  • Compact Solars
  • ComputerCraft
  • ConnectedTextureMod
  • EnderStorage
  • ExtraCells
  • Extra Utilities 2
  • Fast Leaf Decay
  • Forge Multipart
  • Fortunate
  • IndustrialCraft 2 (B)
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Backpacks
  • Iron Chest
  • Just Enough Items
  • LootBags
  • The Lost Cities
  • Modular Powersuits
  • Mouse Tweaks
  • No Recipe Book
  • Open Blocks
  • Pam's Harvestcraft
  • ProjectE
  • Project Red
  • Railcraft
  • Roguelike Dungeons
  • Tinker's Construct
  • Thaumcraft 6 (B)
  • Toast Control
  • The Twilight Forest
Left out the unnotable slew of libraries bc everyone and their brother needs one these days. Really only mentioned the ones that are by different authors. (B) are the mods that I know of that are still in beta, so use at your own risk.

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, there's a bunch of mods I put into my pack as well. My issue is that even at 8.5GB RAM it's having issues loading (that ram bar on the loading screen goes into the reds near step 6 or 7). Also I get stuck on "Building Terrain" when making a new world. I suspect that's caused by the filled ram. I'm looking to cut down on mods I might not miss, and the ones I just deleted were ProjectE, Avaritia and Agricraft. I guess I don't need ProjectE if I can farm all blocks in the pack with other means. I just hope there won't be a hard to get building block that's not farmable.

Edit: Here's my current modlist.
There's probably still a bunch of overlap I should get rid of, and I also threw a bunch of mods in there I simply wanted to try out. I should cut down a good amount of these mods but I can't really bring myself to it. So if anyone has a few suggestion I'd be glad to hear them.

Edit 2: Removed a few mods and fixed a world loading crash.
The crash happened because I used to have OTG + BiomeBundle but removed them, which didn't remove OTG-Core from a folder called 1.12.2 in the mods folder.

Edit 3: @Monarch, what is the Fortunate mod? Can't find anything on it.
  • Actually Additions
    • Actually Baubles
  • Advanced Generators
  • Advanced Rocketry
  • Aether Legacy
  • Akashic Tome
  • Ancient Warfare 2
  • ArchitectureCraft
  • Artifacts
  • Astral Sorcery
  • Backpacks!
  • Better Foliage
  • Better Placements
  • Better with Addons
  • Better with Mods
  • Better FPS
  • BiblioCraft
  • Binnie's Mods
  • Blood Magic
  • Bonsai Trees
  • Botania
  • Buildcraft
  • Building Gadgets
  • Calculator
  • Carry On
  • Ceramics
  • Chisel
    • Unlimited Chisel Works
  • Chisels & Bits
  • Concrete Mod
  • Controlling
  • Cooking For Blockheads
  • Custom NPCs
  • Cyclic
  • Dark Utilities
  • Davincis Vessels
  • Decocraft 2
  • Dirt2Path
  • Draconic Evolution
  • Effortless Building
  • Electroblob's Wizardry
  • Embers Rekindled
  • Ender Storage
  • Ender Tanks
  • Engineer's Doors
  • EnvironmentalTech
  • Everlasting Abilities
  • EvilCraft
  • Farming For Blockheads
  • Fast Leaf Decay
  • Ferdinand's Flowers
  • Flat Colored Blocks
  • Forestry
    • Magic Bees
    • More Bees
  • Furnace Overhaul
  • Garden Stuff
  • Horse Power
  • Hunting Dimension
  • Ice and Fire
  • IKWID
  • Immersive Engineering
    • Immersive Petroleum
    • Immersive Tech
  • Industrial Craft
  • Industrial Foregoing
  • Integrated Dynamics
  • Integrated Tunnels
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Chests
  • JourneyMap
  • JEI + tons of addons
  • Lag Goggles
  • Lapis Stays in the Enchangint Table
  • Level Up!
  • Malisis Blocks
  • Malisis Doors
  • Mekanism
  • Mekanism Generators
  • Millénaire
  • Mob Grinding Utils
  • Morph-o-Tool
  • Mouse Tweaks
  • Mystical Agradditions
  • Mystical Agriculture
  • Natura
  • Natural Nether Portals
  • Nature's Compass
  • No Recibe Book
  • NuclearCraft
  • Ore Excavation
  • Overloaded
  • Pam's Harvestcraft
  • PlusTiC
  • Portable Crafting
  • Project: Vibrant Journeys
  • Psi
  • Quark
  • Railcraft
  • Recurrent Complex
  • Refined Storage
    • Reborn Storage
    • Refined Storage Addons
    • Refined Storage: Requestify
    • Storage Tech
  • Roots
  • Ruins
  • Rustic
  • Schematica
  • Simple Storage Network
  • Simple Harvest
  • StepUp
  • Steve's Carts Reborn
  • Storage Drawers
  • Storage Drawers Extras
  • Streams
  • TAIGA
  • Tech Reborn
  • The Monk Mod
  • The Spice of Life
  • The Weirding Gadget
  • Thermal Dynamics
  • Thermal Expansion
  • Thermal Foundation
  • TickProfiler
  • Tinker I/O
  • Tinkers Construct
  • Tomb Many Graves 2
  • Trash Slot
  • Traverse
  • Tropicraft
  • Waystones
  • Wizardry Mod
  • Woot
  • XNet

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Okay, there's a bunch of mods I put into my pack as well. My issue is that even at 8.5GB RAM it's having issues loading (that ram bar on the loading screen goes into the reds near step 6 or 7). Also I get stuck on "Building Terrain" when making a new world. I suspect that's caused by the filled ram. I'm looking to cut down on mods I might not miss, and the ones I just deleted were ProjectE, Avaritia and Agricraft. I guess I don't need ProjectE if I can farm all blocks in the pack with other means. I just hope there won't be a hard to get building block that's not farmable.

--Snip--
If you have toast control (you don't as far as I can see) you can block the tutorial and some of the other more annoying toasts, and it's configurable. You might also try removing some of the "pretty" mods that don't do much, like streams (I like it too but I also like content mods). Another mod I have a hard time playing with because of the overall load it puts on everything is DecoCraft (if it's the one I think it is -- adds well over 1000 different decorative items?). Might also want to remove millenaire. It seems fun but computers I've had have (wow english) always had a hard time with all the little villages and their interactions (rivalries and such), not to mention putting that in with another villager-adding mod like Ancient Warfare is probably making your computer hate you. Additional Structures and Recurrent Complex might also be duking it out, I don't know. But that's what I can think of based on what you have here.

Anyway, I came here to try to give a status update. I haven't been as neurotic about pics as I normally am, so this album is sort of slim, but you should at least get an idea of what's going on. Click the pic for more!

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
If you have toast control (you don't as far as I can see) you can block the tutorial and some of the other more annoying toasts, and it's configurable. You might also try removing some of the "pretty" mods that don't do much, like streams (I like it too but I also like content mods). Another mod I have a hard time playing with because of the overall load it puts on everything is DecoCraft (if it's the one I think it is -- adds well over 1000 different decorative items?). Might also want to remove millenaire. It seems fun but computers I've had have (wow english) always had a hard time with all the little villages and their interactions (rivalries and such), not to mention putting that in with another villager-adding mod like Ancient Warfare is probably making your computer hate you. Additional Structures and Recurrent Complex might also be duking it out, I don't know. But that's what I can think of based on what you have here.

So you missed my latest edits probably, since your post came out right as I did the last one. To address your input in order:
  1. I don't have toast control. I do have IKWID which removes the tutorial. I don't know what else toast control removes though.
  2. I will keep streams most likely, because I hate vanilla rivers.
  3. Decocraft is a mod that will go next if I have to cut something, thanks for reminding me. I don't usually like indoor decorating anyway, since it's a ton of work and I'm not very easily inspired for indoor stuff.
  4. I won't remove millenaire if I can at all avoid that. It's a mod I've always wanted to try (multiple years now) but never have gotten around to.
  5. I also won't remove Ancient Warfare, because imo it's the best mod for challenges like R2R or your MFCB challenge, maybe second to CustomNPCs. I just wish it was accessible before the iron age.
  6. I removed Additional Structures because I don't know what I'm missing with it anyway.
Also, to answer your question from an earlier post (I totally skipped that!), I'll probably go with your challenge for now. I'd like to wait until the R2R rules are a bit more complete first.
I'd like at least the iron village stage to be completed rule-wise first, because that's where I get to start playing with most of my mods, so I want to have the rules for that "finished" first.
(Also I don't like the clay/dirt stages, because I hate building with those materials.)
As far as I understand it, update 4.6 would mean that stage is reached, so I will just have to wait for a while.

Edit:
So I flew around for a bit in a new world. I've decided I definitely want to remove Tropicraft. All that bamboo it puts everywhere just annoys the hell out of me.
Other than that it runs pretty smoothly so far, although I don't know if I'm a fan of Quark's realistic terrain.
I also decided I will be removing decocraft for sure now.
Here are a few screenshots:

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I did miss your edits. Fortunate is supposed to provide a better chance for getting more ore, I think. Hold on, Google has gotten better at remembering links I've visited. Here's the link. It's apparently called "How Fortunate" which is probably why you couldn't find anything. I also had no idea Ancient Warfare was a good start for my challenge. Wait. Actually I think I did and just forgot about it over the years. Toast Control does what it says -- it controls all the new annoying toasts or "pop ups" that have been added to Minecraft in newer versions. So the recipe book reminders, the tutorial, and can be customized to block other toasts too, I think. And, wow, that's a lot of towers. What are all those from?

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
I did miss your edits. Fortunate is supposed to provide a better chance for getting more ore, I think. Hold on, Google has gotten better at remembering links I've visited. Here's the link. It's apparently called "How Fortunate" which is probably why you couldn't find anything. I also had no idea Ancient Warfare was a good start for my challenge. Wait. Actually I think I did and just forgot about it over the years. Toast Control does what it says -- it controls all the new annoying toasts or "pop ups" that have been added to Minecraft in newer versions. So the recipe book reminders, the tutorial, and can be customized to block other toasts too, I think. And, wow, that's a lot of towers. What are all those from?

Some of them are from Ancient Warfare, and the rest from recurrent complex. I think. I'm not actually sure.

Also I made a new world with default generation instead of realistic terrain. I like it a lot more I think.
Here you go:
[url=https://imgur.com/a/orRrS0e]
[/URL]

Last edited:

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Wow. What's going on with your images? Normally you can go to the image's page and click to get the share links. There'll be working bb there. What have you been typing?

Try this:
Code:
[url=https://imgur.com/a/orRrS0e][img]https://i.imgur.com/Zpc1XaU.png[/img][/url]

5argan

Jul 29, 2019
I've been trying to link the album, since that's what you did as well. Doesn'T seem to work very well for me though.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
I've been trying to link the album, since that's what you did as well. Doesn'T seem to work very well for me though.
I've put in some working linked-image code. Try that. Normally Imgur supplies the image's url for the link, but I go back and swap it for the album url. The link part of your code works, just not the image part.

Monarch_of_Gold

Jul 1, 2015
Hey, guys! Back again to tell you all about how I did my favorite thing last night.

You guys: You built a village??

Me: Errr... no.

You guys: ???

Me: I changed my mod pack!

You guys: *sigh*

Anyway. So, yeah. Changed my pack. Again. List is in the spoiler! Running quasi-comfortably on 4 gigs.

• Additional Pipes
  • AE 2 Stuff
  • Akashic Tome
  • Applied Energistics 2
  • Aquaculture
  • Aquatic
  • ArchitectureCraft
  • Baubles
  • BetterFPS
  • BiblioCraft
  • Biomes o' Plenty
  • BuildCraft
  • ButcherCraft
  • Chisel
  • Compact Solars
  • ComputerCraft
  • Cuisine
  • Deconstruction Table
  • Disenchanter
  • Dungeons 2!
  • Enchanting Plus
  • EnderStorage
  • Exotic Birds
  • Extra Cells
  • Extra Rails
  • Extra Utilities 2
  • Familiar Fauna
  • Fast Leaf Decay
  • Forge Multipart
  • MrCrayfish's Furniture Mod
  • Generators
  • IndustrialCraft 2
  • Inventory Tweaks
  • Iron Backpacks
  • Just Enough Items
  • Just Enough Pattern Banners
  • Just Another Rotten Flesh to Leather Mod
  • MapWriter2
  • MCMultiPart
  • Metal Chests
  • Modular Powersuits
  • Mouse Tweaks
  • No Recipe Book
  • Open Blocks
  • Project E
  • Project Red
  • RailCraft
  • Rex's Additional Structures
  • Simple Logic Gates
  • Sound Filters
  • Swing Through Grass
  • Tinker's Construct
  • Thaumcraft
  • Toast Control
  • Treasure 2!
  • Useful Interior
  • Waiting Time (puts a game of Pong on the mod-loading screen)
  • Zoo and Wild Animals

Thaumcraft may not stay. It depends. If that's causing the chunk boundaries (it shouldn't be) it'll have to go.