Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Godel

Jul 29, 2019
Just grabbed the new Continuum pack. Wondering how texture packs work for MC 1.12.2, as I don't see any in the launcher. Do the 1.7.10 ones still work?

I just want a very basic texture pack like faithful32.

Furious1964

Nov 10, 2012
Is there a way or config to be able to disable the machines in the Engineer's house breaking when I use a pick-axe on them? Silktouch SHOULD be able to pick them up!

Nuclear_Creeper0

Mar 30, 2017
Just grabbed the new Continuum pack. Wondering how texture packs work for MC 1.12.2, as I don't see any in the launcher. Do the 1.7.10 ones still work?

I just want a very basic texture pack like faithful32.
Are you on the Twitch launcher?
You can straight up add resource packs under the Add More Content button in the top right corner.

C

Citron

That pack doesn't specifically say MC 1.12.2 or Continuum though, will it still work?
"Latest pack - 1.12.2"
It supports a lot of mod (see f32.me/mods) but not a modpack specifically. Just try!

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Is there an early-game ore doubling method in FTB Continuum? Very disappointed to get the Tinkers Construct smeltery going and suddenly realize its one ingot per ore block. Actually, I think I was more angry than disappointed. I know I rage-quit at that point and shut the game down. But I did return later on.

Seems like Continuum going to create its "expert mode" via grindy stuff? Such as having to mine twice as many ore blocks as usual? And such as having to wait 1/2 hour for the eFab multiblock to make certain key blocks for us? Oh excuse me, it's only 7.5 minutes with four Gearboxes. I'd better mention that part, or someone else surely will. LOL I think I've read that response to people's criticism of the modpack about 100 times already (on places like Reddit FTB).

I think the most disappointing thing about FTB Continuum so far, to me and my preferences and in my opinion, is that there's ZERO world content added. There's no dungeon mods to explore, there's nothing to roam the world and discover. What you see (when you spawn) is what you get. There's nothing more to find out there, except vanilla villages and ore blocks, and perhaps a random chest at mob spawner locations. Just build your base and never leave it, never go anywhere, because there's really no reason to, no motivation for it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Everlasting2

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Weirdly you and I are on differing sides of the spectrum here. (And I've seen you play some tech packs before so I know its not because you're super-casual, for the record)

Is there an early-game ore doubling method in FTB Continuum? Very disappointed to get the Tinkers Construct smeltery going and suddenly realize its one ingot per ore block. Actually, I think I was more angry than disappointed. I know I rage-quit at that point and shut the game down. But I did return later on.
I went in expecting this. I've seen this more and more in packs, and I actually appreciate it. Tinkers deprecates a ton of mods: I usually use the medieval-style mining Hammer as my example since its more powerful than mining drills from many mods, and it drives me nuts. Day-1 ore-doubling feels the same for me.

We're clearly going to have to work for our our-doubling this time. Bearing in mind that they're not "doubling" the ores we mine: things like pulverizers/macerators simply halved that number. We're back at vanilla now.

Seems like Continuum going to create its "expert mode" via grindy stuff? Such as having to mine twice as many ore blocks as usual? And such as having to wait 1/2 hour for the eFab multiblock to make certain key blocks for us? Oh excuse me, it's only 7.5 minutes with four Gearboxes. I'd better mention that part, or someone else surely will. LOL I think I've read that response to people's criticism of the modpack about 100 times already (on places like Reddit FTB).
I'm a gregtech player. Sooooo... I made four gearboxes off the hop, and I'll likely add more. As far as I know, there's only three ways to make a mod more "expert":
1) Add twitchy stuff (fighting mobs and stuff. Yawn in a tech pack)
2) Add mods we don't know (which is a self-defeating approach since then we'll know those mods for other packs, making those packs "less-expert")
3) Add grind, and solutions to remove or mitigate the grind (which seems to be the approach here so far)

I think the most disappointing thing about FTB Continuum so far, to me and my preferences and in my opinion, is that there's ZERO world content added. There's no dungeon mods to explore, there's nothing to roam the world and discover. What you see (when you spawn) is what you get. There's nothing more to find out there, except vanilla villages and ore blocks, and perhaps a random chest at mob spawner locations. Just build your base and never leave it, never go anywhere, because there's really no reason to, no motivation for it.
This is probably true. I'm totally in the minority here, and I'll own that, but I'm really, really glad I'm not forced to go on some silly adventure to get things. I just want to TECH.

Hopefully it starts getting more fun for you (or you find something else fun to do!)

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Weirdly you and I are on differing sides of the spectrum here. (And I've seen you play some tech packs before so I know its not because you're super-casual, for the record)

I went in expecting this. I've seen this more and more in packs, and I actually appreciate it. Tinkers deprecates a ton of mods: I usually use the medieval-style mining Hammer as my example since its more powerful than mining drills from many mods, and it drives me nuts. Day-1 ore-doubling feels the same for me.
I'm with you, in my 1.7.10 pack, I also made it 1 ore to one ingot in a smeltry, and also textured and changed the recipes so it's made from steel. Basically turned it into a multiblock for making tools and recycling some drops. Fitted in much better with the rest of the mods in the pack then.

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I'm a gregtech player. Sooooo...

Hopefully it starts getting more fun for you (or you find something else fun to do!)

You and I both know the answer to where that "fun" lies... I'm a GregTech'er too, as you well know. :D FTB and GregTech haven't gotten along since the FTB Ultimate days of v1.4.7 modpacks... which was about 4-5 years ago I suppose. But I still hold out hope for a reconciliation someday... even tho I suspect the relationship was severed forever back then.

Regarding FTB Continuum... the best early-game tip I saw so far is to regard the Tinkers Smeltery as simply being the method for making metal gears, and metal tools. And that's all it's really good for. So don't waste time and effort making a 12-block-tall smeltery, because all you're really gonna need is 1-block-tall which can hold 9 ingots worth. That's more than enough.

Reactions: Pyure

OniyaMCD

Mar 30, 2015
Regarding FTB Continuum... the best early-game tip I saw so far is to regard the Tinkers Smeltery as simply being the method for making metal gears, and metal tools. And that's all it's really good for.

Gotta say, that alone is worth the price of admission. Other gear recipes, with that tendency for recursion (wood gear needed for stone gear needed for iron gear needed for...) - versus 'melt four ingots-worth, pour and done - no contest. Show me the grout.

(But a bigger one can melt Endermen for pearls...)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The reason I didn't make four Gearboxes for the eFab immediately is because no self-respecting Minecrafter would EVER go ahead and find/mine/smelt 52 Iron Ore blocks when 26 would be sufficient via a Tinker's Smeltery (via its most well-known feature, ingot-doubling).

Since I am indeed a self-respecting Minecrafter, I made precisely ONE Gearbox block, since each one requires 13 iron ingots to make, and I only had 16 ingots at the time. Then, I dutifully followed the mod's instructions and awaited my 30 minutes to receive my nice shiny brand new Smeltery Controller block.

Imagine my surprise when I fired up the Smeltery and dumped all my Iron Ore blocks into it so I could make more Gearboxes... only to realize there IS NO ingot doubling in the modpack. I think they call that "feeling dumbfounded".

Being in shock, is more like it. "What is THIS?!?!?!?!?!?", he roared with righteous indignation... LOL and sigh

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
'm a gregtech player. Sooooo...
to be fair gregtech adds a lot of content with its internal grind but doesn't it also by default also give u massive ore veins (the hard part being finding them)
last i heard the max gear boxes per e crafter is 4 so u cant get a faster individual recipe without endgame environmental tech.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
to be fair gregtech adds a lot of content with its internal grind but doesn't it also by default also give u massive ore veins (the hard part being finding them)
last i heard the max gear boxes per e crafter is 4 so u cant get a faster individual recipe without endgame environmental tech.
That's correct regarding the veins. Its not a net-positive: GT veins make standard quarry methods almost totally useless. If you know where an Iron vein is, you can drop an Ender Quarry and scoop it all up. But then you'll have a bunch of Iron and not much else.

I didn't know about the max gear-boxes thing. Unfortunate if that's true and not upgradeable.

Godel

Jul 29, 2019
Are you on the Twitch launcher?
You can straight up add resource packs under the Add More Content button in the top right corner.

Oh ok this is helpful, I use the legacy launcher. I just downloaded it with the twitch launcher then chucked it in my existing folder.

Does this pack (it looks like it's only 5MB?) cover modded 32x textures as well, or just vanilla? If just vanilla, is there a mod 32x faithful pack available?

Thanks

Everlasting2

Jun 28, 2015
That's correct regarding the veins. Its not a net-positive: GT veins make standard quarry methods almost totally useless. If you know where an Iron vein is, you can drop an Ender Quarry and scoop it all up. But then you'll have a bunch of Iron and not much else.

I didn't know about the max gear-boxes thing. Unfortunate if that's true and not upgradeable.
ultimately the quarries purpose is still the same , u just don't get the easy way out of mining (which fits gts theme).
if its useless then does that mean u would prefer to mine that area of the chunk your self?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
ultimately the quarries purpose is still the same , u just don't get the easy way out of mining (which fits gts theme).
if its useless then does that mean u would prefer to mine that area of the chunk your self?
Depends on the pack and addons. If GT5u is present rather than just GT5{edited}, there's a multiblock quarry that does some massive ore multiplication. So people just set that beast up sometimes, mine all the iron or whatever, then dissassemble it and move it elsewhere. If thaumcraft is installed, sometimes people use the excavation focus thing.

But, yeah, often people just use fast gregtech drills. A good tinker's hammer (if TiCo is present) would also work well.

Last edited:

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Eeehhhm, if GT5u is present instead of GT5u? That doesn't make much sense to me. Care to explain/correct that statement?

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
Forge servers most definitely can, seeing as they always tell you in log that someone is connecting with certain missing mods. Not a clue about vanilla though. I would assume they can? They definitely don't do anything with it though.