Those little things that irk you about Minecraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Changing things completely here, but I'm always irked that Minecraft rivers are at flat sea level, meaning there is no way they could flow in any direction. I know a few mods have attempted to make them look like they flow (Streams, was it?), but having riverbeds tie into the adjacent biomes' average Y-levels would feel better to me, especially if they would pool up as lakes in areas where a natural flow would stop. Not sure if it's possible, or the toll it would take on generation, but it irks me all the same.

Reactions: Drbretto

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Changing things completely here, but I'm always irked that Minecraft rivers are at flat sea level, meaning there is no way they could flow in any direction. I know a few mods have attempted to make them look like they flow (Streams, was it?), but having riverbeds tie into the adjacent biomes' average Y-levels would feel better to me, especially if they would pool up as lakes in areas where a natural flow would stop. Not sure if it's possible, or the toll it would take on generation, but it irks me all the same.
It would be pretty badass if all rivers were built from hill/mountain springs and streams :)

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
I support anything that means more immersive world generation :p

I haven't tried Streams, but I read about it briefly. Anyone actually tried it? Does it "work"?

LordPINE

Jan 2, 2016
I have tried it, and it works quite nicely. Rivers look way nicer with it installed, and actually seem to flow. Multiple rivers merging to become a large one that goes to oceans is a plus as well.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
What irks me?

The fact that Andesite, Granite, and Diorite do not oredic with cobble. I find these blocks ugly as sin, and would rather put them to use in recipes where cobble is used.
Hell, someone could even make a mod that uses these three cruddy blocks to make different coloured furnaces like they did with different coloured wood.... But noooo.. Gotta just keep that stuff whitelisted to a trash can.

Reactions: Golrith

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
What irks me?

The fact that Andesite, Granite, and Diorite do not oredic with cobble. I find these blocks ugly as sin, and would rather put them to use in recipes where cobble is used.
Hell, someone could even make a mod that uses these three cruddy blocks to make different coloured furnaces like they did with different coloured wood.... But noooo.. Gotta just keep that stuff whitelisted to a trash can.
Easy enough to fix with Minetweaker (I think, if there is a cobble oredict entry already that the recipes use)

I also made my own texture pack as I also find the textures ugly. Now they look more like a cross between normal stone and the rock type they should be, with the relevant colour. Looks less in your face in world gen. Also makes the Diorite (I think) look a lot less gravel, which was a pain when early game hunting for gravel.

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
The mod "Quark" changes the textures of Andesite, Granite, and Diorite slightly. They look very close to vanilla and yet, a lot better.

More importantly, Quark changes the way these generate so that you can find them in very large deposits, rarely, and they don't spawn all over the place. This makes it so they don't clog you inventory while mining.

Reactions: Pyure

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
What irks me?

Aren't they oredicted with smooth stone though? That's what I thought. I agree that perhaps a shift from the originals to OD with cobble, and the polished variants to be OD with smooth stone, might make more sense.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Aren't they oredicted with smooth stone though? That's what I thought. I agree that perhaps a shift from the originals to OD with cobble, and the polished variants to be OD with smooth stone, might make more sense.
I've seen them oredicted with smooth stone too. I wonder if that was pack-specific.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Here's a minor annoyance:

In 1.7, I could paint over my ME cables. So if I made a few too many red ones I could just throw them in with some fresh unpainted ones I was going to dye another colour, it would work.

In 1.12, this function has gone, so now I need to painstakingly wash the dye off with a bucket of water for each unit of cable individually. Soooo tedious.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Here's a minor annoyance:

In 1.7, I could paint over my ME cables. So if I made a few too many red ones I could just throw them in with some fresh unpainted ones I was going to dye another colour, it would work.

In 1.12, this function has gone, so now I need to painstakingly wash the dye off with a bucket of water for each unit of cable individually. Soooo tedious.
Autocrafter that accepts water, pump in infinite water, dump your cables in, out comes lovely clean cables. Build a working washing machine in Minecraft, no soap required :p

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Starting to miss Tesseracts again.

So I decided to make my endgame power rig in its own RFTools dimension (because reasons). In times gone by, I could just whack a tesseract on the power output and it would accept the whole load at once, then I could just use a few output tesseracts on the same channel to siphon the power out according to the limitations of the cables the other side.

Now i'm using advanced powercells, infused to 100% and i've had to make a bank of them at both the sending and receiving end due to the inherent 30krf/t limitation. I mean i'm only outputting about 250k so it's not too bad, but if I scale this up with moar fusion, it's going to get silly.

Reactions: Mindfeak926

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
OH yeah, I totally forgot about that part because there was never any reason to get off of 1.10 :p

GamerwithnoGame

Over-Achiever
Jan 29, 2015
This is a really tiny thing:

I was making some resonating crystal liquid, and the HUD showed it as 100% for efficiency and strength, but once I turned it into crystals it was only 99.99%! :p the purity was still 100% though, which is really the most important thing. I made 4 crystals worth of liquid at once, so it’s not the worst thing in the world I guess :D