Revelation, another useless FTB pack

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'm planning to publish everyting, either in a 'behind the scenes' thread after I finish my project, or if I run out of time you'll see a 'I just totally flunked at making a modpack- but heres everything I learned' thread.
I look forward to seeing what you come up with. I especially enjoy reading through development threads, either the theorycraft like when @Drbretto was setting up his pack, or the aftermath threads which break down the challenges along the way and lessons learned.

Watching the pack come together step by step and one epiphany at a time is fun enough, but learning about new solutions to existing problems, new mod choices, and seeing the real time decision making process for whether a certain mod will make the cut or not helps me rationalize similar choices when it comes to my own custom packs. Not to.sound cynical, but it's nice to see other people struggle with the same ideas I've struggled with, if only to ice the bruise on my ego.

The aftermath threads are nice too, particularly if they have details (or like to where those details exist) on how to accomplish tasks abnormal to the generic kitchen sink pack. The cautionary tales of what not to do, and the rabbit hole configuration stories help prepare me mentally for the challenges ahead in my own experience, and help curb me from having to make those (potentially spirit crushing) errors on my own.

If you're interested in sharing your development in progress, by all means let me know.

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Shameless self advertising, but in my Shattered pack (for 1.7.10) I used CoFH custom world gen to spawn veins based on 1 in N chunks based on the ratio of normal ore gen combined with different densities of Ore each with different requirements for processing (early game furnace is wasteful). So finding diamonds would be rare, but you'd find a lot of them once you did. Combined with a Skyland Environment, makes for a lot of exploring early game, making a note of where you are seeing various ores, and coming back later with the equipment to mine them without yourself or your ores falling into the void (Not saying did that myself and lost a good few stacks of rare Shiny/Platinum ore in the process...)

One common trend I find in many modpacks are "lazy configs". So many things badly configured, or could be presented better with more "Minetweaking". For example, again, in my pack, I ensured (as best as possible) via MT that no matter what machine process you use, you always get the same type of dust, the same type of ingot, same type of block, etc. Makes NEI recipes look so much cleaner without them flickering between 15 different types of copper ingot.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
So I installed Buildcraft, which helpfully tells me it's still in Alpha. It also seems to have gone back to good old MJ, so my RF cables won't attach to my good old-fashioned quarry. No biggie, i'll just build a couple of stirling engines and hook em up with kinesis pipes.

Oh, kinesis pipes no longer attach to the heads of engines. Meh, not having a machine powered by two engines stuck to the side of it, looks untidy and limits muh power input.

Luckily, RFTools to the rescue!

Had a bit of a tinker with it, the builder with a clear quarry card is a monster! Soooo fast.

This is going to make my strip-mining adventure so easy!

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Oops!

Muh bad. I don't think i've actually used them since they were renamed. Like, 1.5 or 1.6 or so. I don't remember them needing that previously, but I am getting old so maybe they did.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Also,

KkhzHZH.png

An embryonic Colin emerges.

Drbretto

Popular Member
Mar 5, 2016
What is this Colin thing? I'm seeing it in two threads now, with the same pic and I don't get it, lol

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I'll ping you over PM at some point this weekend, if anyone else is interested- give me a poke
I'm in. I'm working on tweaking worldgen significantly on the 1.12.2 version of my modpack, using CoFH World. I'm going to be doing some tweaks to ore generation, and I think CoFH World can hook into any mod's oregen quite trivially, meaning I can disable ore generation for all mods and rely exclusively on CoFH World, giving me FAR greater control over how resources in general spawn in. Which means I can make obsidian-encrusted geodes with gem goodies inside, I can do larger geodes of Resonant Ore with a few crystals inside a mostly hollow core, I can create entire seams of coal instead of little dribs and drabs scattered about, veins of iron, copper, tin, even smaller veins of gold in the depths... giving the players a chance to find a higher percentage of resources in a given chunk without needing to branch mine as much, but still making it something one can do to spend an hour or three relaxing. And by doing so, I will reduce the necessity for auto-mining and indeed make auto-mining less profitable overall.

If you want I can share my experiences once I'm done tweaking the settings and experiences with the result. But it seems like we're both mostly on the same page here.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm in. I'm working on tweaking worldgen significantly on the 1.12.2 version of my modpack, using CoFH World. I'm going to be doing some tweaks to ore generation, and I think CoFH World can hook into any mod's oregen quite trivially, meaning I can disable ore generation for all mods and rely exclusively on CoFH World, giving me FAR greater control over how resources in general spawn in. Which means I can make obsidian-encrusted geodes with gem goodies inside, I can do larger geodes of Resonant Ore with a few crystals inside a mostly hollow core, I can create entire seams of coal instead of little dribs and drabs scattered about, veins of iron, copper, tin, even smaller veins of gold in the depths... giving the players a chance to find a higher percentage of resources in a given chunk without needing to branch mine as much, but still making it something one can do to spend an hour or three relaxing. And by doing so, I will reduce the necessity for auto-mining and indeed make auto-mining less profitable overall.

If you want I can share my experiences once I'm done tweaking the settings and experiences with the result. But it seems like we're both mostly on the same page here.
Only thing I found with CoFH Worldgen back in 1.7.10 is that even with veins and 1 in x chunk chance, you still get occasions where a chunk will have every ore going. Found that in my skyland pack that uses that type of system.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Only thing I found with CoFH Worldgen back in 1.7.10 is that even with veins and 1 in x chunk chance, you still get occasions where a chunk will have every ore going. Found that in my skyland pack that uses that type of system.
Right, but given probability and a nearly infinite world, this is bound to happen eventually. If you find it happens too often, spreading each out a touch more should, in theory, reduce the crossover chance. Of course, what happens logically and in theory doesn't always translate to actuality.

Reactions: Golrith