Epic Fail stories

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ApSciLiara

Jul 29, 2019
I crashed the server I frequent by breaking a tesseract with a pickaxe in a pocket dimension (from Dimensional Doors). Luckily, the admin was prompt (and not asleep), and restored from the latest possible backup.

Note to self: Do not EVER break a tesseract with a pickaxe. Especially in a pocket dimension. It's essentially dividing by zero.

Reactions: Whovian

JWalty

Jul 29, 2019
Just a few hours ago I grabbed a ghast fireball with my gravity gun and forgot they exploded on impact. Held the fireball looked down and flew 30 blocks into the air. Died on Impact.

Chesham

Jul 29, 2019
Never, EVER, leave a mining laser in your hotbar when not using it, especially when you're going to click on your indexer that has a ton of bees in it. The fps lag was epic that night. :p

Reactions: Whovian

DRH1469

Jul 29, 2019
Just a few hours ago I grabbed a ghast fireball with my gravity gun and forgot they exploded on impact. Held the fireball looked down and flew 30 blocks into the air. Died on Impact.

Yeah, also getting hit by a wither skelly while walking along the edge of the fortress = death. Surprisingly I died of the wither effect instead of fall damage!

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
Minor fail story: in both my current world and my previous world, entering the Nether the second time has resulted in immediate explosion and death. <REDACTED> Firebats!
Also, both times I've died in this world I had over 30 levels of xp. I really need to get around to killing more cows so I can finish the bookshelves around my enchanting table :p

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
Minor fail story: in both my current world and my previous world, entering the Nether the second time has resulted in immediate explosion and death. <REDACTED> Firebats!
Also, both times I've died in this world I had over 30 levels of xp. I really need to get around to killing more cows so I can finish the bookshelves around my enchanting table :p

Build a room around the portal in the overworld. Creepers can use the portal and be waiting for you in the nether as soon as the world starts loading.

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
I was clearing out a forest for my new base (which is several thousand blocks away from my old base, w/ only a book to get back), when I decided doing a few moonshots w/ my portal gun would make quick work of it, so I finished up and instead of pressing 'R', I decide to shoot the portal that was on the moon... I shot the wrong portal and went to the moon...
My spawn was set at the new base...

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
I'm setting up an igneous extruder to feed a hopper that feeds my recycler.
Unfortunately I set it to output into the hopper before sticking my water bucket in to fill it up.
"Where did my bucket go?"
Oh.

And I didn't even need to put the bucket inside to fill the extruder :(

JPandaGamer

Jul 29, 2019
You know, I also had this one time where I made my very first blaze farm w/ my new T5 spawner. I thought of it myself, tried using my own redstone design and everything. I used a piston funnel to a chamber to kill them
They managed to get into the redstone somehow, killing me
I thought, I should get into the redstone and fix it up
I let loose 30 blazes into my base, and it quickly multiplied, seeing as the hole I made was in between the switch to turn off the spawner (and my storage) and my bed...
I had to move

Reactions: Memorian

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
I'm setting up an igneous extruder to feed a hopper that feeds my recycler.
Unfortunately I set it to output into the hopper before sticking my water bucket in to fill it up.
"Where did my bucket go?"
Oh.

And I didn't even need to put the bucket inside to fill the extruder :(
At least it was only a bucket. It's worse when you shift click upgrades into powered recyclers.

EternalDensity

Jul 29, 2019
So it turns out that I epically failed the other day when I didn't bother mining some dark xychorium ore that was hanging out at the bottom of my primary mining ladder. You wouldn't think that a little xychorium would matter.

Yeah, there were 4 diamonds right behind it :p

I also discovered recently that when you fill up a xycraft tank by putting in cans, you don't get the cans back :(

And I wonder where I parked my turtle last week...
[edit]

EVEN MORE EPIC FAIL

Okay so my game randomly crashed (it does that on occasion) but this time when I restarted it redownloaded the pack. As it started I checked to make sure my world folder was still where it should be. It was. I went away from my computer for a while and when I came back Minecraft had started (defaulting back to fullscreen mode) and BAM, my world no longer exists. And I was planning to back it up soonish in case something happens to my computer while I'm away camping.

TEAL;DEER
MY FTB WORLD DELETED ITSELF UTTERLY

(edit: note: while my save was deleted, my gregtech config was preserved. BUT it deleted my texture pack.)

tanefa99

Jul 29, 2019
I've learnt from plenty of my lava related deaths to keep a bucket of water handy on the hotbar so that when I'm near lava I just drop it down, no chance of burning. All of my recent deaths that lose all of my precious 1hr-expedition goodies have been from the new mechanic where if a creeper takes fall damage before blowing up next to you, the explosion damage is multiplied by a silly amount.

A different fail of mine, I found my first large oil geyser the other day (20 blocks high) and decided that I might use the hole underneath the geyser (that leads to the main underground pool of oil) to get to lower depth caves faster than using ladders. Sure enough, poor old Steve only has 10 bubbles of breath before he slowly perishes, and 10 bubbles are not nearly enough to get down 60 blocks deep. A full set of diamond tools, fully enchanted Thaumium armor and half a stack of pumpkin pie, despawning in a pool of oil. ugh
(I originally posted this on reddit, incase someone else has already seen it)

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Placing a torch can give a momentary air pocket. Though I guess with oil that would waste oil.

You can also use a bucket to remove a block which gives you air to refill your bobbles. Just 'empty' the bucket again on something and you can stay under water/oil as long as you want.

Ive used that trick while building undersea bases and hunting squids.