Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
What mods are you missing in particular? Just curious

Mystcraft. That's kinda important for this world.

Twilight Forest. There are forks by others working on porting it, but I don't know that anyone has it working yet.

Now, things that we want to add in: Forestry, Better Geo or Geologica, RotaryCraft, Carpenters Blocks. I think only Forestry in that list is updated. Possibly ChromaticCraft as I want exploration to be a personal theme (it's one of my more favorite part of the game, besides actually building things).

(There are a number of mods that permit multiple worlds/dimensions in both 1.7.10 and 1.10.2. Only Mystcraft and RfTools permit making them in-game, and with variations/oddities.)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Mystcraft. That's kinda important for this world.

Twilight Forest. There are forks by others working on porting it, but I don't know that anyone has it working yet.

Now, things that we want to add in: Forestry, Better Geo or Geologica, RotaryCraft, Carpenters Blocks. I think only Forestry in that list is updated. Possibly ChromaticCraft as I want exploration to be a personal theme (it's one of my more favorite part of the game, besides actually building things).

(There are a number of mods that permit multiple worlds/dimensions in both 1.7.10 and 1.10.2. Only Mystcraft and RfTools permit making them in-game, and with variations/oddities.)

Carpenters Blocks is in alpha on 1.10.2 right now.

Warplord

Jul 29, 2019
What mods are you missing in particular? Just curious
Pneumaticraft, tech guns, open blocks, nuclear craft, magneticraft, BUILDCRAFT. Those are the things I personally mourn the loss of ...

Also the loss of Binnie and his bees and trees is the one of the biggest hits to modded minecraft ever! More bees is cool and all, but Binnie's Mods were truly a masterpiece!

SevenMass

Jan 2, 2013
The Netherlands
Twilight Forest License goes from All right reserved to LGPL
What does that me to players? :
It means that Twilight forest may get a release for 1.10.2 in the future. Stay tuned!

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

So where does this news come from? The curse site still says "All right reserved." And I see nothing about it in the forum thread or the wiki. (at the time I'm posting this)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
So where does this news come from? The curse site still says "All right reserved." And I see nothing about it in the forum thread or the wiki. (at the time I'm posting this)

From his twitter:

upload_2017-5-14_14-4-53.png

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Pneumaticraft, tech guns, open blocks, nuclear craft, magneticraft, BUILDCRAFT. Those are the things I personally mourn the loss of ...

Also the loss of Binnie and his bees and trees is the one of the biggest hits to modded minecraft ever! More bees is cool and all, but Binnie's Mods were truly a masterpiece!

Biggest loss to modded Minecraft? Thaumcraft. Best of luck with your studies, Azanor. Thanks for all the good times.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I personally feel the updates to core Minecraft after 1.7.10 are slowly killing the game and making modding it more difficult, plus the ongoing increases in system requirements.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
Azanor said:
Sorry folks
May 23 at 10:33am
It is with a heavy heart that I need to let you guys know that I will be shutting down this Patreon soon. I have already paused it so no one will be charged for the next billing cycle. I will be keeping the dropbox folder open so the Master tier patrons will retain their access.
Between work and family I have been unable to work on Thaumcraft even a fraction as much as I have been able to in the past. I have recently decided to continue my studies after-hours which means what little time I had left will disappear for the next couple of years. The studies will be mostly to further my career, but the good news is that I am going to sneak in some gaming related courses in there. I am hoping to return to modding eventually, or maybe even publish a game of my own.

I will continue to maintain Baubles – it is small enough that keeping it running doesn’t occupy much time. Thaumcraft is a different beast however. I will try and work on TC 6 whenever I get the chance, but I cannot promise when it will be done or even if it ever will be done.

Sorry guys.

I personally feel the updates to core Minecraft after 1.7.10 are slowly killing the game and making modding it more difficult, plus the ongoing increases in system requirements.

the problem how I see it is that Mojang is pushing update after update and modders are having a difficult time to keep up. yes, it's easier for modders nowadays to update from one version to another, but it still requires work to do it, and the time they spend on that gets taken from the time to add new things to their mods. personally if I was constantly busy just updating my mods instead of adding new things, I'd also get bored with it and move on.

but there's also the issue that alot of minecraft players are spoiled, as soon as a new minecraft version is released those players start spamming mod developers asking when their mod gets updated to the newest minecraft version.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
the problem how I see it is that Mojang is pushing update after update and modders are having a difficult time to keep up. yes, it's easier for modders nowadays to update from one version to another, but it still requires work to do it, and the time they spend on that gets taken from the time to add new things to their mods. personally if I was constantly busy just updating my mods instead of adding new things, I'd also get bored with it and move on.

but there's also the issue that alot of minecraft players are spoiled, as soon as a new minecraft version is released those players start spamming mod developers asking when their mod gets updated to the newest minecraft version.
Plus also the updates are not really that "major" content wise for modded players (polar bears, end changes, combat screwup, etc). I've made a 1.10 modded pack and it takes a good 15 minutes to load the game, and this has less mods then my 1.7.10 packs and chunk display is wonky.

1.7.10 is still the best era for the modded scene. I wish there was a "modded edition" that stays at the same version (with minor updates by the community), then the modding community could ensure it's as optimised as possible without fear of all their hard work going to waste with the next vanilla update featuring changes that no one really wants.

Reactions: RavynousHunter

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Modding is not more difficult in 1.10.2 or beyond. On the contrary. Vanilla and forge have improved considerably and I find working on RFTools for 1.10.2 much easier then it was for 1.7.10

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Plus also the updates are not really that "major" content wise for modded players (polar bears, end changes, combat screwup, etc). I've made a 1.10 modded pack and it takes a good 15 minutes to load the game, and this has less mods then my 1.7.10 packs and chunk display is wonky.

1.7.10 is still the best era for the modded scene. I wish there was a "modded edition" that stays at the same version (with minor updates by the community), then the modding community could ensure it's as optimised as possible without fear of all their hard work going to waste with the next vanilla update featuring changes that no one really wants.

Well for me 1.10.2 performs MUCH better compared to 1.7.10. Especially with mods like foamfix added to the mix (and yes I did use FastCraft in 1.7.10). While MC does now use more memory it really helps for performance if you have enough memory and this also shows in how the code is organized.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Can't agree more. Unless there were something that undoes the cockup that is modern Minecraft combat, along with certain favourites making the move, I can't see myself going past 1.7.10 anytime soon. There's no compelling vanilla content that'd make me want to move, either; anything 1.8+ has, I can all but guarantee is in some mod or other in 1.7.10.