Thoughts on Mojang & Mods?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Should Mojang....

• Adopt Forge?

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • Continue with "Official Mod API"?

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Work with the Forge team and ForeCraft modders to produce something everyone will like?

Votes: 43 60.6%

• Total voters

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I saw SethBlings rockets with Iron Golems and Villagers, those were awesome.
I've never seen MC Quidditch before though. Sounds fun!

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
So wouldnt forge like dissolve after the mod API since it is no longer needed?

If the Mojang MineCraft mod API is powerful enough to do everything, yes, Forge would go away as it would no longer be needed.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Awwww!:( I liked forge.

When we have a mod API, though, that fits what we need for mods to work properly, it'll have served its purpose and get to retire down in Florida, enjoying the sunshine and Spring Break beach goers.

Qwertz

Jul 29, 2019
I think they should adopt Forge although Mojang most likely won't, as they will probably try and do it their own special way. I don't really trust Mojang with the task of making the mod API...

Reactions: Pokefenn

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I think they should adopt Forge although Mojang most likely won't, as they will probably try and do it their own special way. I don't really trust Mojang with the task of making the mod API...

Well, Forge's GNU Public License makes it difficult for them to adopt Forge without making MC free and open-source. Wait. Does GNU require open-source? Free, anyway.

RetroGamer1224

Jul 29, 2019
"What is that sonny? Minecraft 10.x.x is out and it has the new API. Sonny I been around for over sixty years and they finally did it. Did Jeb Version 5.8 get all the bugs fixed and glitches worked out like people wanted?"

REDX36

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is that the Mojang API might not have all the features Forge needs, without Forge transforming/overwriting base classes.

hanleybrand

Jul 29, 2019
Well, Forge's GNU Public License makes it difficult for them to adopt Forge without making MC free and open-source. Wait. Does GNU require open-source? Free, anyway.

Not to necro the thread, but Forge is actually distributed under the Minecraft Forge Public Licence
https://github.com/MinecraftForge/MinecraftForge/blob/master/install/MinecraftForge-License.txt

FML is distributed under GPL, but I don't think that affects code written to be loaded by FML, just forks of FML.
https://github.com/MinecraftForge/FML/blob/master/LICENSE-fml.txt

But I'm never shy about stepping on to the soapbox: I have never seen a more cluster-fucked bunch of license shit storms in a sandbox than the minecraft modding community -- unsurprisingly most mod authors don't seem to really understand software licensing, or the philosophies of open source/free software.

Perhaps nothing* drives me crazier than the "this is all mine - I'm sharing it but don't think about it or share it with others or even ask me about mod packs, and definitely no decompiling it, and you need my permission to add support for it in your texture pack or to write a review or link to it!" attitude that I see with some modders who of course do it all by themselves, with the exception of the fact that they are extending someone else's original game with no need to ask for permission, probably using MCP or Forge (open source, free), probably using Eclipse (open source, free), probably having learned most everything from others generous enough to share their own work, etc. -- seriously, just get over yourself, put your code on github, and say "thank you" when a random stranger fixes the bug you can't be arsed to fix yourself already.

Oh, you're worried about your genius being lost somehow in this intellectual property free-for-all? Well, the people who love your work will forget you (and maybe hate you a little) when you "retire" from modding if someone else isn't able to patch your game-changing-mod-of-staggering-genius so that it still works at all. Unpatched genius + new point release = nothing except maybe a bad reputation (but who cares, you retired, right?)

And if I'm going to be real for a minute (real real, son) - if all the tough talking IP-protecting-no-you-re-sharing-or-reusing modders haven't sued or even done a DMCA takedown minecraftdl or 9minecraft or minecraftmine or any of the other hundred sites that redistribute their work for profit, why are they going to be a jerk to someone who wants to share how good their work is with other people?

Anyway, my main hope with the official mod api is that it will have a unifying license that in short says "if you 'shared' this, consider it 'shared' not 'shared but-'" Requiring that a mod be FLOSS would really be even better, because it makes everything simpler forever.

* actually, one thing makes me crazier - this entire post: #1

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just say this right now:
Modloader doesn't deserve to be popular.
And all the people who say that it's too hard to install Forge or that it messes up MC should be kicked out of MC forever.
They are weirdos.
Just saying.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
I'll just say this right now:
Modloader doesn't deserve to be popular.
And all the people who say that it's too hard to install Forge or that it messes up MC should be kicked out of MC forever.
They are weirdos.
Just saying.

TBH when I first heard of Forge I thought "What the hell is this? Why u no mods go in Minecraft.jar? Why I no delete meta-INF? Why you give me more folders? Why EVERY MOD require forge? Me no understand", and now it seems completely natural.

They haven't gotten used to it yet. Seeing as how I had to install forge by total guesswork because I couldn't find any tutorials and the only ones that I could find weren't descriptive enough to actually tell my anything, I can't say I blame them though.

Modloader has run its course for being a tiny little mod API, it should be forgotten and replaced with Forge. And when something better than Forge comes out, that should replace Forge too. And so on. Nobody wants an outdated mod API. Liking a mod API because it's the first API you ever used and sticking with that mod API even though it's outdated is beyond stupid.

If Mojang can come up with a good mod API (which from what I can tell they've been putting off) then it should replace everything before it, since 'Vanilla > Mods' is the unspoken rule for compatibility. Trust me on that, getting a 'chain' of mods together to get one mod to work isn't fun and it causes lots of incompatibility, since all mods have to have compatibility with what's vanilla but don't need to have compatibility with other mods.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
Forge is just as easily installed as ModLoader.
Dump it in the Jar, delete MetaINF.
Same as ModLoader.
Le Sigh.

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
Forge is just as easily installed as ModLoader.
Dump it in the Jar, delete MetaINF.
Same as ModLoader.
Le Sigh.

The meta inf that's included scared me and I deleted it. Caused me a blackscreen, then I quit trying to make forge work.

I'm not going to even mention my reaction to it making a coremods and a mods folder. I tried to unzip the mods into the jar, told me I was an idiot, then I tried again but putting them into the mods folder, extracted. Told me I was an idiot again. Tried putting them in the coremods folder, same result. Quit trying to knead the dough and quit for awhile until I could find a good tutorial, didn't find one so I just tried putting them in there zipped. And finally it worked.

It's quite awesome to get a modpack working after a long time, though. It gives you a huge feeling of triumph, even though you were just moving folders into folders and files into folders into files.

whizzball1

Jul 29, 2019
The meta inf that's included scared me and I deleted it. Caused me a blackscreen, then I quit trying to make forge work.

I'm not going to even mention my reaction to it making a coremods and a mods folder. I tried to unzip the mods into the jar, told me I was an idiot, then I tried again but putting them into the mods folder, extracted. Told me I was an idiot again. Tried putting them in the coremods folder, same result. Quit trying to knead the dough and quit for awhile until I could find a good tutorial, didn't find one so I just tried putting them in there zipped. And finally it worked.

It's quite awesome to get a modpack working after a long time, though. It gives you a huge feeling of triumph, even though you were just moving folders into folders and files into folders into files.
Le sigh, again.
ModLoader also provides a mods folder. You put the zips in there, like it says in regular modloader mod instructions, and poof.
Who's to say it's not the same for Forge?