December News

Feed the Beast

Jul 29, 2019
Modpack News

We're finally getting rolling on minecraft 1.10. After putting out FTB Presents Hermitpack, we finally released our first flagship pack on a current Minecraft version in years.

In our continuing partnership with Direwolf20, we've released the latest iteration of his single player pack. You can follow along with his series by downloading his world every ten episodes. Just click on the pack in the curse app, click maps and search for "direwolf20".

Coming in the next few months is another, larger pack currently named FTB Evolved. After it is released, we will start work on an expert mode for this pack.

These new 1.10 packs are a bit more memory intensive than our 1.7 ones. We recommend using at least 4 GB to run them. You can do this in the options screen of the FTB launcher and under settings, Minecraft in the Curse app.

Curse News

The plan for moving to the Curse app is unchanged. Curse is working on a few remaining features. Until they are done, the current FTB launcher will remain as normal.

Curse is still looking into bringing the app to linux, but it's a decent amount of work. We are banking on this happening, but if it does not, we remain committed to providing FTB packs on linux.

Minecon

It's been awhile, but FTB was at Minecon. You can watch our panel here.

Minecraft 1.11

Minecraft 1.11 was released a few weeks ago. It's proving fairly easy for mods to update, but will still take a few weeks.

Content Creator

In lieu of a streamer, this month's content creator is a mod author.

McJty has been a pioneer in pushing modded Minecraft forward. He was one of the first to update to 1.10 and is leading the charge to 1.11.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Coming in the next few months is another, larger pack currently named FTB Evolved. After it is released, we will start work on an expert mode for this pack.
It would make it a whole lot easier on everyone, if you chose a NEW name for this new pack. Using the old, or parts of the old name, makes it nearly impossible to search for info on a specific pack.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
It would make it a whole lot easier on everyone, if you chose a NEW name for this new pack. Using the old, or parts of the old name, makes it nearly impossible to search for info on a specific pack.
Yes. Please don't name it infinity anything. Come up with a new name.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Yes, as we've seen in another thread, reading descriptions to verify you have the pack you're looking for seems to be above the pay grade of some players :D

Therefore, I nominate "FtB All the Stuffs: For Now"

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
There's about a million other great things to say about @McJty. Crucially, he's also responsible for helping other young devs learn how to mod.

Its one thing to bring content to the community. Its another special thing entirely to teach that skill to others.

Many add content to the community... @McJty multiplies available content! :D

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Yeah.... when FTB says it's recommended you use 4GB for these packs, it's a misnomer... It's a requirement. Recommended is more like 6GB.

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
Recommendation is 4gb. All that really means is "your mileage may vary." It's only a starting point.

But anywho... change the name. I get confused enough on my own. I get that it's "easy" to figure out which it is. But really... it all boils down to it's a brand new pack that deserves it own title

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Recommendation is 4gb. All that really means is "your mileage may vary." It's only a starting point.

But anywho... change the name. I get confused enough on my own. I get that it's "easy" to figure out which it is. But really... it all boils down to it's a brand new pack that deserves it own title

I have a computer with a total of 4gb. I can't run any of the Official FTB 1.10.2 packs without crashing upon loading pack and it capping at 3.6gb. I'd say 4GB is a requirement.

Reactions: Pickypicky

Scottly318

Jul 29, 2019
A requirement specifically means you are to use that setting. A recommendation is a suggestion. While I agree that anything under 4gb is unlikely to work with 1.10.2 packs... it's not a hard and fast rule. Like I said your mileage may vary.

Edit: adding things like what mcjty suggested are why 4gb are not a true requirement. Theoretically it will make it run. Bear in mind that I haven't played at all with foamfix. Which is why I say theoretically

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I have a computer with a total of 4gb. I can't run any of the Official FTB 1.10.2 packs without crashing upon loading pack and it capping at 3.6gb. I'd say 4GB is a requirement.

Your problem is it looks like your OS is being at least partially overwritten. When you see a recommendation like FtB's 4GB, keep in mind that's free, unused ram, not total ram. You still have part of that total ram in use for the OS.

Quetzi

Jack of All Trades
Retired Staff
Aug 20, 2012
quetzi.tv
I've worked with players that got HermitPack to load while allocating 3.5GB, granted that pack has had a few more mods added since then. Historically FTB has never issued any kind of RAM allocation requirements, recommended or otherwise. Because 4GB was(is) a popular configuration in older machines we felt making it known that there was a big jump in requirements was necessary. There are too many factors to be able to issue blanket hardware requirements/allocations and have them remotely accurate, that target is likely to move during the normal lifecycle of a pack as mods update. Thing is, if you are able to allocate 4GB then your system, in theory has at least 6GB installed, it's a useful minimum to recommend.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
@Quetzi , The problem with assumptions... :)

Seriously, in 30+ years of IT support I've seen all too many people look at "recommendations" that don't clarify and say to themselves "I have exactly 4GB ram in my laptop! I'm good to go!" without considering that, in addition to the 1 or 2 GB needed for the OS their built-in video is taking another 256-512MB from the total.

Then they start yelling for help.

DREVL

Jul 10, 2013
Your problem is it looks like your OS is being at least partially overwritten. When you see a recommendation like FtB's 4GB, keep in mind that's free, unused ram, not total ram. You still have part of that total ram in use for the OS.
I know... that was the point. I require atleast 4GB to run the packs. I would recommend more than 4GB, just on it's face.