Direwolf20 vs Ultimate Modpacks thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you want less instead of more.

I don't need 160 mods when many of them overlap each other or are completely not intresting to me.

Mindcrack already has some mods I don't ever plan on touching.

So yeah its not useless. Just a diffrent setup. Like many of the mod packs.
I dont think I would want to play a modpack with out modular powersuits, mystcraft, EE3, reliquary, and thaumic bees

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know the only thing Ultimate doesn't have, that Mindcrack does, is Traincraft. Ultimate has so many more other mods though, that Traincraft is hardly a reason to stick with Mindcrack, unless you can't live without Oil Sand on your shovel while riding around in a "realistic" train.

I switched to Ultimate mostly for MFR, MPS and AE. There are also some mods I've seen configs for which I expect will be part of the pack at some point, namely Minechem (which I'm really looking forward to) and Ropes Plus. So yeah, for me it's a no brainer to go with Ultimate.

Am I the only one who doesn't care about adv vs comp solars? because solar panels are boring as fuck?

You're not alone ;) I always disable them if they're in a pack.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I dont think I would want to play a modpack with out modular powersuits, mystcraft, EE3, reliquary, and thaumic bees

I am not a fan of any of those.

So yeah.

Only one that has any intrest to me would be thaumic bees but I can live without them.

And mystcraft but its not complete enough at the moment to intrest me.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
To say ultimate has made any of those 2 modpacks obsolete is to miss the point of the packs imo.

Both packs are essentially personal packs made public. The Direwolf20 pack especially was made so his fans can follow along, even to the point where every 10 episodes they can download a map and it will fall into place with no issues.
The Direwolf set of mods changes each season and as he sees fit along the way. It was around before FTB launched. (even if people had to assemble themselves)

Just keep in mind that not all packs are simply there to package a choice of mods when talking about things being obsolete

I do agree though that for the average user the GT yes or No choice as shown in that amusing pic does ring true.

Reactions: Whovian

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
To say ultimate has made any of those 2 modpacks obsolete is to miss the point of the packs imo.

Both packs are essentially personal packs made public. The Direwolf20 pack especially was made so his fans can follow along, even to the point where every 10 episodes they can download a map and it will fall into place with no issues.
The Direwolf set of mods changes each season and as he sees fit along the way. It was around before FTB launched. (even if people had to assemble themselves)

Just keep in mind that not all packs are simply there to package a choice of mods when talking about things being obsolete

I do agree though that for the average user the GT yes or No choice as shown in that amusing pic does ring true.
I totally agree. But direwolf20 isn't really just a random guy installing a bunch of random mods for his LP (at least not anymore) He is essentially a mod expert. He is friends with most of the modders, he plays on forgecraft with most of the popular tech/magic mods, and he has a ton of experience with mods. So in my opinion if direwolf uses it, its probably pretty good. And direwolf has already added quite a few mods (Twilight forest, extra bees, Modular powersuits, thaumic bees, reliquary)

Aetherr_

Jul 29, 2019
I think that Ultimate is best. But most people say that Mindcrack is useless. But it is not. Mindcrack is for people that likes a challenge.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I think that Ultimate is best. But most people say that Mindcrack is useless. But it is not. Mindcrack is for people that likes a challenge.

I would not say ultimate is the best. It just had the most mods. Number of mods does not always mean better. In fact I've been seeing Ultimate have issues on servers as many of the mods have to have parts of them disabled for reasons of server lag, or to explitive, or to easy to greif with.

But to each there own. Maybe one day when the private packs get going I'll make a Sheared Shoop pack a trimmed down mod collection.

I just find the over lap and redundacy in mods sometimes bothersum.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I would not say ultimate is the best. It just had the most mods. Number of mods does not always mean better. In fact I've been seeing Ultimate have issues on servers as many of the mods have to have parts of them disabled for reasons of server lag, or to explitive, or to easy to greif with.

But to each there own. Maybe one day when the private packs get going I'll make a Sheared Shoop pack a trimmed down mod collection.

I just find the over lap and redundacy in mods sometimes bothersum.

I agree that more mods doesnt mean better. I found that direwolf20 + gregtech is a nice combination for me

Virgoddess

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using Ultimate, but with voxel and GT disabled.

I also have world with Mindcrack and the DW20 pack. I like them all for different reasons.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I think the big mix up people have is seeing Ultimate as a fuctional be all end all mod pack.

When if you stop and think about it. FTB started as a challange map what used the wonky way mods interacted to create a set of challanges. Many of these came down to useing what can be seen as exlpoites or at lest inblances between mods.

FTB Ultimate is made with this in mind. I bleive slowpoke has even said they will be making a new map.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I think the big mix up people have is seeing Ultimate as a fuctional be all end all mod pack.

When if you stop and think about it. FTB started as a challange map what used the wonky way mods interacted to create a set of challanges. Many of these came down to useing what can be seen as exlpoites or at lest inblances between mods.

FTB Ultimate is made with this in mind. I bleive slowpoke has even said they will be making a new map.
I think direwolf20 and mindcrack are made more with LPs in mind for obvious reasons

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I think direwolf20 and mindcrack are made more with LPs in mind for obvious reasons

Yeah. And it works well for them as they can tell their fans Just use this to have the same stuff your seeing on this LP.

Hell thats why I started using mindcrack.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. And it works well for them as they can tell their fans Just use this to have the same stuff your seeing on this LP.

Hell thats why I started using mindcrack.

Yeah, in my opinion both direwolf, mindcrack, and maybe even yogcraft are all really good for just regular playing, and not just for fans.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
I think if they made Ultimate use easymode Gregtech it would very much bring Mindcrack back to being a viable pack. Right now the biggest choice factor (for people who don't like changing configs which I would imagine is a lot more than you'd think) is Gregtech.

Right now the "big three" packs are DW20, Mindcrack and Ultimate
DW20: GT off
Mindcrack: GT Hard
Ultimate: GT Hard

why not have Ultimate as GT easy so there are default configs for hard and easy?
meerkat-simples.jpg

Reactions: noskk

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I think if they made Ultimate use easymode Gregtech it would very much bring Mindcrack back to being a viable pack. Right now the biggest choice factor (for people who don't like changing configs which I would imagine is a lot more than you'd think) is Gregtech.

why not have Ultimate as GT easy so there are default configs for hard and easy?
meerkat-simples.jpg

I like this idea, and change the uum cost to around 5 m since the default IC2 uum cost is too cheap.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019

Because I believe the point of Ultimate is for it to be used as the core mod pack for the challenge map that will be out.

Molten

Jul 29, 2019
I always remember in old streams that Slow made he always said that when ultimate was released it would come with the option of easy or hard for GT.
Most likely in the form of interchangable config files.

Anyone else remember this or am I recalling something else ?

Not that it really bothers me. On these forums someone was kind enough to provide downloadable configs for easy / hard.

blaize9

Jul 29, 2019
I really don't get why people think that the ultimate pack is soo great, it's just direwolf with 3 more mods.

It's not like some server owner added the other mods to his/her server before.