Direwolf20 vs Ultimate Modpacks thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
I'm making this thread for two reasons. Primarily, i'm going to make a video to help people decide between arguably the best two modpacks and want to see what other people think. Also as sort of a FRIENDLY debate thread for the two. I went with direwolf20 for SSP and ultimate for SMP. I know the differences in the actual modlist however some of the mods I don't know a lot about, or if there is an alternate way of doing something. And there are things like the ultimate solar helmet (and I heard somewhere that there are gregtech bees) where you can only get it if you have a certain mod installed, that I don't know about. But I mainly just want others people opinions about the packs in general.

vineet

Jul 29, 2019
If I am correct, ulitamte is generally a bit more laggiest than direwolf. Other than that ultimate is the best. ( you can take out any mods you don't like) due the large amounts of mods, which mean in my opinion more things to do.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, what Lambert said. Ultimate is effectively Mindcrack + more, and Mindcrack seems now already to be less used.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
basically, Direwolf20 pack is still relevant, but the release of Ultimate has rendered the Mindcrack pack obsolete.
I agree, Direwolf20 is still a good option overall because there are less mods but other then gregtech and there are no huge mods its missing. Applied energistics is going to be added "soon" according to direwolf. Direwolf20 is probably a little better for starting out then ultimate, because gregtech overcomplicates things even with easy configs,

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Even if you do find gregtech overcomplicating, it's not all that hard to remove it. I have done just for the purpose of making my video's, as I had switched from DW20 Pack to Ultimate.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
your choice of modpack pretty much will always come down to Gregtech or no Gregtech. (Until/Unless Ultimate becomes easy GT and Mindcrack becomes hard GT, THEN Mindcrack will again be relevant)

yTzQaY3.jpg

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Even if you do find gregtech overcomplicating, it's not all that hard to remove it. I have done just for the purpose of making my video's, as I had switched from DW20 Pack to Ultimate.
Its not that difficult to remove, but the main reason I went with direwolf20 for single player is there are a lot of config changes in the ultimate pack that I don't fell like finding/fixing[DOUBLEPOST=1363466916][/DOUBLEPOST]
your choice of modpack pretty much will always come down to Gregtech or no Gregtech. (Until/Unless Ultimate becomes easy GT and Mindcrack becomes hard GT, THEN Mindcrack will again be relevant)

yTzQaY3.jpg
Again though, there are other mods to consider, like MFR, bibliocraft, tubestuff,secret rooms, etc

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Well there are those extra mods in Ultimate aswell, and it's easy to disable GT. To name a couple, Mine Factory RL, Applied Energistics (indeed DW said he would probably add it) nether ores etc.

Personally the only problem I have with Ultimate is the advanced solar panels. I'm personally more of a fan of Compact Solars, simply because they are simpler to make.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
Its not that difficult to remove, but the main reason I went with direwolf20 for single player is there are a lot of config changes in the ultimate pack that I don't fell like finding/fixing[DOUBLEPOST=1363466916][/DOUBLEPOST]
Again though, there are other mods to consider, like MFR, bibliocraft, tubestuff,secret rooms, etc
indeed, but the most important dividing mod will always be gregtech.

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019

Fair enough, I understand your point there :)
It's all about personal preference really, if you're willing to have the extra mods, or indeed want to, Ultimate is kinda the way to go, though you might want to disable GT and change some configs.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
indeed, but the most important dividing mod will always be gregtech.
Well there are those extra mods in Ultimate aswell, and it's easy to disable GT. To name a couple, Mine Factory RL, Applied Energistics (indeed DW said he would probably add it) nether ores etc.

Personally the only problem I have with Ultimate is the advanced solar panels. I'm personally more of a fan of Compact Solars, simply because they are simpler to make.
I'm also one of the only people who likes comapct solars better. I mean advanced solars generate EU at night. THEY ARE CALLED SOLAR PANELS NOT LUNAR PANELS (someone should make a lunar panels mod)

AliveGhost

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe, that's another point. Irl, who knows of a solar power that generates at night? XD

Also another option to consider is the Lite Pack, it seems pretty similar to the DW20 pack, allbeit with some changes.

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Hehe, that's another point. Irl, who knows of a solar power that generates at night? XD
Even though advanced solar panels are harder to make they are way more OP in the long run. Doesn't the ultimate one have like a built in MFSU

Jyzarc

Jul 29, 2019
Am I the only one who doesn't care about adv vs comp solars? because solar panels are boring as fuck?

I don't like using solar power for everything although for things like applied energistics or sorting machines and just small stuff that I want to always have running without maintenance they are nice to have

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed, what Lambert said. Ultimate is effectively Mindcrack + more, and Mindcrack seems now already to be less used.

Unless you want less instead of more.

I don't need 160 mods when many of them overlap each other or are completely not intresting to me.

Mindcrack already has some mods I don't ever plan on touching.

So yeah its not useless. Just a diffrent setup. Like many of the mod packs.[DOUBLEPOST=1363468695][/DOUBLEPOST]
Am I the only one who doesn't care about adv vs comp solars? because solar panels are boring as fuck?

Nope I would give a fuck about solar... but I ran out no more fucks to give.

Solar is indeed boring.