Public Service Message: Big Reactors mod is out for 1.10 with a name change

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This saddens me... RIP interesting power gens.
WHAT interesting power gens? There are no interesting power gens for 1.10.2 yet. The only ones I have found are either EnderIO, Mekanism, and supposedly Immersive Engineering will be stable soon. That's about it.

Having said that, the Diesel Engine from ImmEng is probably going to stomp it pretty firmly. 4k RF/t out of seeds and potatoes. And IIRC, you can run several engines off of one set of production machines.

Reactions: RedBoss

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
WHAT interesting power gens? There are no interesting power gens for 1.10.2 yet. The only ones I have found are either EnderIO, Mekanism, and supposedly Immersive Engineering will be stable soon. That's about it.

Having said that, the Diesel Engine from ImmEng is probably going to stomp it pretty firmly. 4k RF/t out of seeds and potatoes. And IIRC, you can run several engines off of one set of production machines.
Inductive automation exists which can generate RF through the energy link. The interesting way to make power in that mod is the hydrogen fuel cell. Needing obviously gaseous hydrogen and oxygen. Which there are multiple ways of to create.
Which path you choice and what you do with the by-products of those methods are up to you :).

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill

When I say "interesting power gen", I don't mean only the generator itself, I also include the process of obtaining the resource to generate power.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Since most of 1.10's "interesting" power options involve farming crops or trees, ... , profit, this is more server friendly. Mainly because careless players and farming usually leads to overflow mistakes.

Reactions: rhn and Cptqrk

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If theres going to be a Big Reactors with a new developer - perhaps they could consider tweaking the maths a bit to be less ... stupid. I'd like to see designs where a choice of moderator matters and its not just Cryotheum everywhere. Also, energy capture plays too small a part - people don't loose a lot of power making small "big" reactors.
--
And fix the thing where 1mb water becomes 1mb of steam. In reality, water expands about 1700 times when it becomes steam at atmospheric pressure. Of course, Big Reactors is producing steam under pressure to actually do work, so if we said that the steam being produced was about 20 atmospheres (quite reasonable for industrial purposes) then 1mb of water would produce 85mb of steam. Call it 64mb to make it more minecrafty.

Last edited:
Reactions: asb3pe

RealKC

Popular Member
Dec 6, 2015
King of the Hill
If theres going to be a Big Reactors with a new developer - perhaps they could consider tweaking the maths a bit to be less ... stupid. I'd like to see designs where a choice of moderator matters and its not just Cryotheum everywhere. Also, energy capture plays too small a part - people don't loose a lot of power making small "big" reactors.
--
And fix the thing where 1mb water becomes 1mb of steam. In reality, water expands about 1700 times when it becomes steam at atmospheric pressure. Of course, Big Reactors is producing steam under pressure to actually do work, so if we said that the steam being produced was about 20 atmospheres (quite reasonable for industrial purposes) then 1mb of water would produce 85mb of steam. Call it 64mb to make it more minecrafty.
If the steam buff happens, then the turbines need to be nerfed IMO

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If the steam buff happens, then the turbines need to be nerfed IMO

It won't make a difference as they are already capped at 2000mb steam/t - but really if this change was considered, it would ideally be by making the reactors consume less water per mb of steam produces with the actual steam output being the same.

Reactions: asb3pe

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
I like using Quantum Flux for power, it's expensive but interesting with it's wireless power network that spans all dimensions. And it has a 1.10 release.

Reactions: RedBoss and asb3pe

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Inductive automation exists which can generate RF through the energy link. The interesting way to make power in that mod is the hydrogen fuel cell. Needing obviously gaseous hydrogen and oxygen. Which there are multiple ways of to create.
Which path you choice and what you do with the by-products of those methods are up to you :).
Inductive Automation is a mod I will never use for the following reasons:

1) Not native RF. I made a commitment to my players that I will only use a single energy system in my mod packs. I remember the bad old days of converting EU to MJ and back. I will not put them through that again.

2) Practically requires ComputerCraft, which I loathe with a burning passion normally reserved for twinkling vampires. While I don't generally toss around terms like 'OP' because they are inherently subjective, I will say that CC's power curve is several orders of magnitude higher than anything else in my pack, and that's not really the experience I want to provide to my players. If I wanted to code minecraft, I'd pull up a Java IDE instead of working through a JSON layer.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013

1) Not native RF. I made a commitment to my players that I will only use a single energy system in my mod packs. I remember the bad old days of converting EU to MJ and back. I will not put them through that again.
Fair enough.
2) Practically requires ComputerCraft, which I loathe with a burning passion normally reserved for twinkling vampires. While I don't generally toss around terms like 'OP' because they are inherently subjective, I will say that CC's power curve is several orders of magnitude higher than anything else in my pack, and that's not really the experience I want to provide to my players. If I wanted to code minecraft, I'd pull up a Java IDE instead of working through a JSON layer.
I have a couple of problems with this statement
First off, Inductive automation can function well without CC. I guess you are talking about the farm, quarry and builder as those are the 3 blocks with most CC intergration. I have used all 3 of them without CC. The only time I used CC was for a tree farm as fast leaf decay was screwing sapling collection up and to sort the items from it. Which can also be done with pure Inductive automation as it has a sorting system. Maybe there is something I missed? Also, the builder on its own (Plus the item to select an area) is more powerful then a filler from buildcraft, not that that says much but considering you say the mod can't work without CC it may be worth mentioning. And if you are talking about programming the farm to place stuff on specific other stuff, you should be able to program that with a block placement controller instead of CC :)

Second off, it can also work with Open computers instead of CC if you prefer that.

Third: JSON layer? CC has not even build in JSON functions build in? Especially after saying that you rather mod stuff in yourself rather then working with JSON when we have reached a point where minecrafts fire needs 52 json files.:p (might have got the number wrong)

I'm not trying to say that you are wrong for not liking it, if you don't like it then so be it. Just want to clear some things up and I am curious what machine you are talking about that absolutely needs CC/OC? (and because the json part confuses me)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com

It saddens me you didn't mention the RFTools endergenic powergen and the Deep Resonance mod. Both are out for 1.10.2

Nah, not really. But don't forget. These are there too :)

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Fair enough.

I have a couple of problems with this statement
First off, Inductive automation can function well without CC. I guess you are talking about the farm, quarry and builder as those are the 3 blocks with most CC intergration. I have used all 3 of them without CC. The only time I used CC was for a tree farm as fast leaf decay was screwing sapling collection up and to sort the items from it. Which can also be done with pure Inductive automation as it has a sorting system. Maybe there is something I missed? Also, the builder on its own (Plus the item to select an area) is more powerful then a filler from buildcraft, not that that says much but considering you say the mod can't work without CC it may be worth mentioning. And if you are talking about programming the farm to place stuff on specific other stuff, you should be able to program that with a block placement controller instead of CC :)

Second off, it can also work with Open computers instead of CC if you prefer that.

Third: JSON layer? CC has not even build in JSON functions build in? Especially after saying that you rather mod stuff in yourself rather then working with JSON when we have reached a point where minecrafts fire needs 52 json files.:p (might have got the number wrong)

I'm not trying to say that you are wrong for not liking it, if you don't like it then so be it. Just want to clear some things up and I am curious what machine you are talking about that absolutely needs CC/OC? (and because the json part confuses me)
I think I may not have conveyed the actual point, which is 'If I wanted to code in Minecraft, I'd make a mod, not play with CC'.

CC is ridiculously cheap for being able to do All The Things, OpenComputers is less so, but nearly as bad, but at least it is somewhat more interesting to build and is far more expensive.

The curseforge page indicated you needed CC to do things, which was a full-stop-nope.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
It saddens me you didn't mention the RFTools endergenic powergen and the Deep Resonance mod. Both are out for 1.10.2

Nah, not really. But don't forget. These are there too :)
I've seen Deep Resonance on DW20's Forgecraft. It just doesn't really interest me that much. I dunno why not, it's at least an interesting power system, it uses RF, it goes outside the box to produce a surprising amount of RF if properly done. Automating it is non-trivial, although likely possible (Even DW had troubles automating it last time he tried). Refining new crystals takes forever (which can be bypassed, as DW found out, using the Roots crack staff). So it should really have me interested. But it... I dunno, just seems like too much effort for the returns. Maybe I should at least try it before deciding if I should include it or not in my 1.10.2 pack.

Endergenic is a really interesting 'out of the box' idea, but tic lag can completely wreck it, making it practically non-viable for most servers. Granted, not quite as bad about tic lag as, say, the old CASUC reactors were, but still.

There's a new orgen mod called O.R.E. that is currently in development that has a spawn method 'geode'. I was planning on using this to spawn Deep Resonance resources in discreet little geodes, with the resonant ore forming the crust, and crystals on the inside, with the rarity of a geode in any particular chunk roughly equal to diamonds. Verisimilitude and all.

Reactions: RedBoss

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I think I may not have conveyed the actual point, which is 'If I wanted to code in Minecraft, I'd make a mod, not play with CC'.
I got that
The curseforge page indicated you needed CC to do things, which was a full-stop-nope.
This is what I had mostly a problem with as this is false. Yes, you can use CC but I can't think of anything in that absolutely requires CC.

The reason that I go out of my way to correct that part is because I know that you are not the only one that dislikes CC and thus having someone run around saying it absolutely requires CC will put people off and as I personally do like Inductive automation and really wouldn't mind it if it became more popular.... :)

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I've seen Deep Resonance on DW20's Forgecraft. It just doesn't really interest me that much. I dunno why not, it's at least an interesting power system, it uses RF, it goes outside the box to produce a surprising amount of RF if properly done. Automating it is non-trivial, although likely possible (Even DW had troubles automating it last time he tried). Refining new crystals takes forever (which can be bypassed, as DW found out, using the Roots crack staff). So it should really have me interested. But it... I dunno, just seems like too much effort for the returns. Maybe I should at least try it before deciding if I should include it or not in my 1.10.2 pack.

Endergenic is a really interesting 'out of the box' idea, but tic lag can completely wreck it, making it practically non-viable for most servers. Granted, not quite as bad about tic lag as, say, the old CASUC reactors were, but still.

There's a new orgen mod called O.R.E. that is currently in development that has a spawn method 'geode'. I was planning on using this to spawn Deep Resonance resources in discreet little geodes, with the resonant ore forming the crust, and crystals on the inside, with the rarity of a geode in any particular chunk roughly equal to diamonds. Verisimilitude and all.

Endergenic lag has been fixed in very recent 1.10.2 versions of RFTools. If you avoid vanilla redstone or other redstone conduits that cause lag you can make it totally lag free now (no chunk updates or anything).

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I got that

This is what I had mostly a problem with as this is false. Yes, you can use CC but I can't think of anything in that absolutely requires CC.

The reason that I go out of my way to correct that part is because I know that you are not the only one that dislikes CC and thus having someone run around saying it absolutely requires CC will put people off and as I personally do like Inductive automation and really wouldn't mind it if it became more popular.... :)
Again, this contradicts what the Curseforge page says, which indicates that some features require CC to do. Which is nope. If this is no longer the situation, the mod devs need to update their page to reflect this.
Endergenic lag has been fixed in very recent 1.10.2 versions of RFTools. If you avoid vanilla redstone or other redstone conduits that cause lag you can make it totally lag free now (no chunk updates or anything).
Nice! Tic lag from other sources can still mess up your calculations, though. Get a lag spike, suddenly you end up missing a toss and everything goes downhill. It's a bit too complex to rely on as a primary source, and doesn't do well as a supplemental energy source because it doesn't respond well to being turned on and off abruptly.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Again, this contradicts what the Curseforge page says, which indicates that some features require CC to do. Which is nope. If this is no longer the situation, the mod devs need to update their page to reflect this.

Nice! Tic lag from other sources can still mess up your calculations, though. Get a lag spike, suddenly you end up missing a toss and everything goes downhill. It's a bit too complex to rely on as a primary source, and doesn't do well as a supplemental energy source because it doesn't respond well to being turned on and off abruptly.

That depends on how you automate it. You don't shut down the entire generator but you fire pearls on an on-demand nature. i.e. power is low, fire a pearl and don't fire a new pearl for a while. There are of course other ways to automate this.

Also normally lag spikes shouldn't disrupt the timing as the spike affects all machines at once and they would still have the same relative timing differences. I've never had lag spikes disrupt my endergenic so far

MacAisling

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2013
Kearneysville, West Virginia
I like big reactors because I don't want "interesting" power generation, I want adequate, reliable power generation. I feel that most mods that add their own power gen tend to have the balance set on the underwhelming side of the scale, while those that do have big power options tend to be overly complex.