Public Service Message: Big Reactors mod is out for 1.10 with a name change

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
I like big reactors because I don't want "interesting" power generation, I want adequate, reliable power generation. I feel that most mods that add their own power gen tend to have the balance set on the underwhelming side of the scale, while those that do have big power options tend to be overly complex.

depends on the way the pack is set up, big reactors a lot of times needs some way to generate ores for it or you constantly need your quarry to be moved further out or so large it will take a while to stop. I'll gladly take Makanism's reactor because even tough it's slightly complicated it's fuel source is completely renewable and once it's set up properly it's a "turn on and forget" kind of thing.

I prefer completely renewable power generation, so anything that can run off of only water, crops, wood, or the blood/souls of mods I'm all for.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedBoss

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
It saddens me you didn't mention the RFTools endergenic powergen and the Deep Resonance mod. Both are out for 1.10.2

Nah, not really. But don't forget. These are there too :)
I've got to admit, I read through the Deep Resonance manual and it seemed like way too much work for way too little power at the point I'd be able to set it up (and I love Rotarycraft, which people complain is too complex.) Granted, if I actually knew how it worked, I might not feel that way, but I've never seen anyone use it, so all I was going on was the manual. It's something I'll probably play around with once I've gotten to a point I don't really need it anymore, so I can use it in future worlds.

As an aside, the manual mentions radiation, but doesn't tell me what radiation does. Given that radiation in Minecraft can vary from a minor annoyance to fatal from the slightest exposure depending on the mod, it would be nice to know what I'm getting in to in terms of radiation before I actually have to deal with it.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm sort of onboard with Shneekey on the CC thing. On the other hand, I'm a terrible programmer, and prefer to program myself, so it's not so OP for me. :D I also suck at Open Computers, but that's a lack of understanding more than anything else.

Deep Resonance is like RFTools. It's both completely useless to me, and entirely too strong when I do use it.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I'm sort of onboard with Shneekey on the CC thing. On the other hand, I'm a terrible programmer, and prefer to program myself, so it's not so OP for me. :D I also suck at Open Computers, but that's a lack of understanding more than anything else.

Deep Resonance is like RFTools. It's both completely useless to me, and entirely too strong when I do use it.

How are they useless to you? Just curious. Note, not talking about the dimension building but the rest of RFTools (dimension building is separated in a different mod in 1.10.2).

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
How are they useless to you? Just curious. Note, not talking about the dimension building but the rest of RFTools (dimension building is separated in a different mod in 1.10.2).

No offense to your mod, which I love to use in certain packs, but i personally don't see much use for it in the power generation category, it's wonderful for power management and doing cool things with power, but I'd rather use other things for power gen.

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013

I've never used the power generating crystals, so I was very interested to watch Direwolf20 make a set up in the latest forgecraft. The problem I see, and probably why I'm not going to go down the path of crystals for power, it that even with Dire's wands of cheaty, the return on input/time was... low... Maybe it's a misconception due to the nature of 20-30 minute segments and we are not seeing the use of the power being generated, but the crystals didn't seem to last long enough for a new one to be made, unless you smash the machines with some tick speed up wand.

Sorry McJty, love your other work, but I'll stick with Big Reactors, or what ever they are calling it, for now.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
I've never used the power generating crystals, so I was very interested to watch Direwolf20 make a set up in the latest forgecraft. The problem I see, and probably why I'm not going to go down the path of crystals for power, it that even with Dire's wands of cheaty, the return on input/time was... low... Maybe it's a misconception due to the nature of 20-30 minute segments and we are not seeing the use of the power being generated, but the crystals didn't seem to last long enough for a new one to be made, unless you smash the machines with some tick speed up wand.

Sorry McJty, love your other work, but I'll stick with Big Reactors, or what ever they are calling it, for now.

A top crystal that you can generate right now can do 1 billion RF in total at a rate of 20000 RF/tick. I don't think that's really a bad deal.

Also some people (like me) dislike the easy ways with Big Reactors. That's exactly what caused the enourmous power inflation in 1.7.10

Reactions: Padfoote and Pyure

RyokuHasu

Jul 29, 2019
Also some people (like me) dislike the easy ways with Big Reactors. That's exactly what caused the enourmous power inflation in 1.7.10

So what about power gens that also give massive amounts of power but you have to work really hard to get?

What's your opinion on the Mekanism reactor? it has a very high output and can run indefinitely if setup properly, but requires a boatload of complicated infrastructure to even set one up. It's my personal favorite because it both makes you work for the power, and it meats my criteria of 100% renewable fuel.

Other power gens I like are Immersive Engineering and Quantum Flux also for having renewable or passive fuel sources.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
A top crystal that you can generate right now can do 1 billion RF in total at a rate of 20000 RF/tick. I don't think that's really a bad deal.

Having played around a bit with Deep Resonance, I have a somewhat better opinion about it. It's not precisely intuitive, and requires a complex processing to get much energy out of it, but that's not necessarily a *bad* thing. I agree that Big Reactors was a bit too easy, but there wasn't much in 1.7.10 that could supply a whole base with power without spamming all the dynamos.

1.10.2 has Immersive Engineering, which has a couple of very low end (~25 RF/t) passive generators to get you going, then has the Diesel Generator for around 4k RF/t. Deep Resonance provides a more versatile solution to energy production. The more you refine, the better the output. Automating it is a bit of a pain, but once you do it isn't too bad. I feel it is a nice balance.

Deep Resonance is by no means an early game mod, but that's to be expected considering the outputs. But once you get yourself established, it can be a solid base power system. The only thing I really haven't been able to figure out how to automate is switching out the crystals when they die.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Deep Resonance is by no means an early game mod, but that's to be expected considering the outputs. But once you get yourself established, it can be a solid base power system. The only thing I really haven't been able to figure out how to automate is switching out the crystals when they die.

The pedestal block in DR can do that for you. You just have to supply it with new crystals and it will break depleted crystals for you and put them in an adjacent inventory

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
So what about power gens that also give massive amounts of power but you have to work really hard to get?

What's your opinion on the Mekanism reactor? it has a very high output and can run indefinitely if setup properly, but requires a boatload of complicated infrastructure to even set one up. It's my personal favorite because it both makes you work for the power, and it meats my criteria of 100% renewable fuel.

Other power gens I like are Immersive Engineering and Quantum Flux also for having renewable or passive fuel sources.

I must admit I haven't tried the Mekanism reactor yet but I have heard it is more complicated and that is good for me. I don't think high power output is bad but I think you have to work for that.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Just a number of niggling little things. Imprecision of the liquid monitor is one. I don't care about the percentage in a tank, I want to know the exact millibuckets left. If I want my engine to switch to only processing fuel when it's got one bucket remaining, I'd rather be able to say 1000mb left, redstone on, than sit there trying to get the percentage to be the exact amount I need.

Storage monitor seems great, but it can only monitor things in a storage system, not say in the chest I have sitting out at the farm. Unless of course I'm missing something, which is always possible. But it's easier to just drop down a vanilla comparator and use that to turn off the farm.

On the other hand, they're crazy cheap for what they can do. Most of them don't even have a power cost as a balance, something I'd like to see as an option, even if it defaults to off.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
Just a number of niggling little things. Imprecision of the liquid monitor is one. I don't care about the percentage in a tank, I want to know the exact millibuckets left. If I want my engine to switch to only processing fuel when it's got one bucket remaining, I'd rather be able to say 1000mb left, redstone on, than sit there trying to get the percentage to be the exact amount I need.

Storage monitor seems great, but it can only monitor things in a storage system, not say in the chest I have sitting out at the farm. Unless of course I'm missing something, which is always possible. But it's easier to just drop down a vanilla comparator and use that to turn off the farm.

On the other hand, they're crazy cheap for what they can do. Most of them don't even have a power cost as a balance, something I'd like to see as an option, even if it defaults to off.

You can use the Inventory Checker to monitor the amount of things in any inventory.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I recently began converting electricity into sawdust. Basically I began amateur woodworking. Even in that field I see similar types of enthusiast as in modded MC. One group wanted to tell me about wattage, voltage, proper torque speed for projects and wood types. They went on about wiring a workspace and most efficient/cost effective tool sets. The other went into exceeding detail about wood types, techniques, finishing methods and all of that.

Both groups are cool. Both types are interesting and have a lot to offer. But I just wanted to build a bench so I could enjoy my beer on the patio. That's me with modded MC. Dude, I just wanna build a castle without spending all my time crafting or grinding. Your option lets you tool around with all sorts of doodads and whirly gigs? good for you. This mod lets you dial in tolerances, has tons of crafting, and is super efficient? Fantastic! But if you've got a decent priced box that'll give me energy for fuel? That perfect FOR ME. Now I can run my quarry so I have stone for castle building.

So bravo for "insert new name" Reactors. Let's hope you don't get too complicated or I'll ditch you. I've been using this mod since it produced MJ. I don't wanna learn 18 new blocks to squeeze energy out and run my base.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
So bravo for "insert new name" Reactors. Let's hope you don't get too complicated or I'll ditch you. I've been using this mod since it produced MJ. I don't wanna learn 18 new blocks to squeeze energy out and run my base.
For your sake, I hope *you* are their target audience (and not, say, me)
;)

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
For your sake, I hope *you* are their target audience (and not, say, me)
;)
I'm pretty much giving up on these devs that take over mods. They change everything to more grind and tedium with no reward for the increased effort. It's ruining good mods that used to be fun.

I'm content to spam engines at this point.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm pretty much giving up on these devs that take over mods. They change everything to more grind and tedium with no reward for the increased effort. It's ruining good mods that used to be fun.
Examples of some mods where this happened?

Bear in mind: that last clause of yours is strictly subjective. Obviously its not factually, objectively true, or they wouldn't be doing it (somebody must be finding it fun)