How do YOU Generate Power?

kajoman

Jul 29, 2019
Indeed it is; Botania's recipe is basically free. One simply needs to expose water to the purifying daisy to get snow, then throw the snow into mana with an alchemy catalyst, then re-expose it to the pure daisy. Quite cheap and less messy when using the above energy system

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I usually used the Daisy to make snow to make Blizz Powder. Because a bucket of Cryotheum kills just as effectively as lava without accidentally setting anything on fire. So I can make a nice wooden mob farm instead of stone. Or rather wood and stone.

kajoman

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a good plan, though I was unaware that blizz powder could be made from snow (I thought you had to get it from killing Blizzes, and I'm currently trying a pacifist run so that's not possible). How would one go about doing that?

S

svtfmook

i use 3 turbines that generate a total of 72k rf/t
it powers 3 laser drills that 2 have lime focus and 1 has yellow focus
the yellorite and uranium collected by the drills are sent to my ME network, where they are exported to a pulvizer, then to redstone furnace, then back into the me network. they are then sent to a chest under my turbines, which are then sent into the access ports on the reactors. pretty self sustained and i'm left with 12k rf/t for my other stuff, which is really just to spawn/grind rooms to collect pearls.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Extra utils lava generators...

Sent from my GT-I9300I using Tapatalk

I was under the impression that those were nerfed to near uselessness. Besides, if you have that much Lava, there are ways to net more obscene amounts of power with it.

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
I was under the impression that those were nerfed to near uselessness. Besides, if you have that much Lava, there are ways to net more obscene amounts of power with it.
Custom modpack.. ;) that is still in testing and modpacking phase... not using FTB pack

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Custom modpack.. ;) that is still in testing and modpacking phase... not using FTB pack

Perhaps I was unclear. I thought the XU Dev decided those and the Pink Generators were OP and hit them hard with the Nerfhammer. Last time I played with an XU Lava Generator it wasn't worth the materials, as they would have been better spent on any other form of power gen. That said, it has been a while...

joshwoo70

Jul 29, 2019
Perhaps I was unclear. I thought the XU Dev decided those and the Pink Generators were OP and hit them hard with the Nerfhammer. Last time I played with an XU Lava Generator it wasn't worth the materials, as they would have been better spent on any other form of power gen. That said, it has been a while...
Hmmm... really? A couple x64 lava generators. Has powered my AE system which needs 4kRF for it to run :/ (vut that is just my test world)

D

Derphs

I generate my power from steam using mfrs steam boilers and turbines.
2016-07-28_15.13.26.png
2016-07-28_15.13.36.png
The steam boilers are fed Pyrotheum dust produced from a renewable factory. The factory starts with an mfr tree farm that is fed oak saplings to produce apples, logs, and more saplings. The apples are crushed (in a crushing factory) into mekanism bio fuel and fed into a bio-reactor to fuel just the planter and harvester.
2016-07-28_15.17.02.png
2016-07-28_15.17.00.png
The logs from the tree farm are sent into a Thermal Expansion powered furnace to produce charcoal. The charcoal is sent to a cyclic assembler(TE) to produce torches. The torches are piped into a precision sawmill from mekanism to produce 1 coal and 1 stick per 4 torches. This process converts logs into coal at the cost some power at a ratio of 1:1. The stick is sent back to the cyclic assembler for more torches. The cyclic assembler will never overflow with sticks as the sawmill does not duplicate sticks.(4 torches to 1 stick)
2016-07-28_15.22.51.png

[the hopper contains logs and the iron chest contains coal]
The coal from the charcoal converter is pulverized into coal dust in a pulverizer(TE) with a chance of producing excess Sulfur(TE) that can be used to craft Pyrotheum dust but currently I am just storing it because it is not being produced fast enough. The pulverized coal(TE) is sent to a final cyclic assembler to be crafted into pyrotheum dust.
The cyclic assembler is also being fed redstone dust from a witch farm and blaze powder from a blaze farm. The crafting recipe for Pyrotheum dust also requires sulfur which I get from a cobble gen.
Cobblestone is generated using an igneous extruder(TE) that feeds into a pulverizer(TE) to produce sand that is sent into a cyclic assembler and gravel that is sent into a trash can. The cyclic assembler produces sandstone an feeds it into a pulveriser(TE) with secondary output upgrades to produce niter. The excess sand is scrapped and the niter is sent into an Enrichment Chamber from mekanism. The enrichment chamber produces gunpowder from the niter and the gunpowder is sent into an Industrialcraft 2 Extractor to produce sulfur(IC2) that is sent into the last cyclic assembler to produce pyrotheum dust. This system fuels 320 steam boilers(MFR) that produce steam for 768 steam turbines(MFR) to produce a maximum of 122,880 rf/t of self sustained power.
2016-07-28_16.00.49.png
2016-07-28_16.01.06.png
2016-07-28_15.18.37.png
2016-07-28_15.18.43.png

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
ok this is going to be a long one.
tree farm to create charcoal (I know, how original). This is used to power the tree farm, the single ic2-classic generator (as I am not using ic2 machines anyway because they are the worst), my ore processing and my mining turtle.
Then, the saplings go into an algae pool, this makes biomass.
I then dry the biomass to make steam and surprise, surprise dried biomass.
Steam is used to get some of the energy back the drying costs and the dried biomass goes to an electrolyzer.
The electrolyzer turns the driedbiomass into hydrogen and charcoal, loosing 3/4th of the burn value of the dried biomass. Yes, I just spent energy to loose burn time.
then, I combine the hydrogen with oxygen to make steam and power
steam is used to make more power
charcoal is used to make more steam and thus more power.

Fun fact, the amount of power I get from steam is not even close to the amount of power I can get from hydrogen+oxygen.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I generate my power from steam using mfrs steam boilers and turbines.
The steam boilers are fed Pyrotheum dust produced from a renewable factory. The factory starts with an mfr tree farm that is fed oak saplings to produce apples, logs, and more saplings. The apples are crushed (in a crushing factory) into mekanism bio fuel and fed into a bio-reactor to fuel just the planter and harvester.View attachment 28914 View attachment 28911
The logs from the tree farm are sent into a Thermal Expansion powered furnace to produce charcoal. The charcoal is sent to a cyclic assembler(TE) to produce torches. The torches are piped into a precision sawmill from mekanism to produce 1 coal and 1 stick per 4 torches. This process converts logs into coal at the cost some power at a ratio of 1:1. The stick is sent back to the cyclic assembler for more torches. The cyclic assembler will never overflow with sticks as the sawmill does not duplicate sticks.(4 torches to 1 stick) View attachment 28920
[the hopper contains logs and the iron chest contains coal]
The coal from the charcoal converter is pulverized into coal dust in a pulverizer(TE) with a chance of producing excess Sulfur(TE) that can be used to craft Pyrotheum dust but currently I am just storing it because it is not being produced fast enough. The pulverized coal(TE) is sent to a final cyclic assembler to be crafted into pyrotheum dust.
The cyclic assembler is also being fed redstone dust from a witch farm and blaze powder from a blaze farm. The crafting recipe for Pyrotheum dust also requires sulfur which I get from a cobble gen.
Cobblestone is generated using an igneous extruder(TE) that feeds into a pulverizer(TE) to produce sand that is sent into a cyclic assembler and gravel that is sent into a trash can. The cyclic assembler produces sandstone an feeds it into a pulveriser(TE) with secondary output upgrades to produce niter. The excess sand is scrapped and the niter is sent into an Enrichment Chamber from mekanism. The enrichment chamber produces gunpowder from the niter and the gunpowder is sent into an Industrialcraft 2 Extractor to produce sulfur(IC2) that is sent into the last cyclic assembler to produce pyrotheum dust. This system fuels 320 steam boilers(MFR) that produce steam for 768 steam turbines(MFR) to produce a maximum of 122,880 rf/t of self sustained power.View attachment 28935 View attachment 28936 View attachment 28939 View attachment 28941

I enjoy the system you have running here, if only for its pure convolution. I've never found Pyrotheum Dust to be worth the effort of using for fuel, but I like that you built it nonetheless. Are you using the Sulfer from your Blaze farm to supplement your production as well? I was always stuffed with Sulfer when I had my Blaze farms running full tilt (was using the Blaze Rods as solid fuel).

Is Big Reactors in your pack? 768 Steam Boilers could run 153 max sized BR Turbines with steam to spare. At ~27kRF/t each, that comes out to well over 4.13 million RF/t using your existing Steam Boilers and fuel setup. Not too shabby. That said, if you can find a use for 4MRF/t that isn't just an assload of Laser Drills, you're my hero.

Reactions: Derphs
D

Derphs

I enjoy the system you have running here, if only for its pure convolution. I've never found Pyrotheum Dust to be worth the effort of using for fuel, but I like that you built it nonetheless. Are you using the Sulfer from your Blaze farm to supplement your production as well? I was always stuffed with Sulfer when I had my Blaze farms running full tilt (was using the Blaze Rods as solid fuel).

Is Big Reactors in your pack? 768 Steam Boilers could run 153 max sized BR Turbines with steam to spare. At ~27kRF/t each, that comes out to well over 4.13 million RF/t using your existing Steam Boilers and fuel setup. Not too shabby. That said, if you can find a use for 4MRF/t that isn't just an assload of Laser Drills, you're my hero.
Honestly I always feel guilty for using big reactors so I try to do things however to work around it. Also I was stress testing my auto-crafting system with making stacks of boilers, turbines, and vibrant capacitor banks.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Agree about BR being a bit of a one-stop power solution. I didn't include it in my pack just for that reason. Finding how other mods make power is more fun after the shine of BR reactors wears thin.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'm still firmly enamored of Advanced Generators. Custom multi-block, eats steam or any fluid fuel you give it, as well as it's own fuel production option included.

Aetherpirate

Jul 29, 2019
Been trying Mek's gas-burning generator with Ethylene. It shuts down if you don't need it and it's buffer is full.

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
I get the most enjoyment from ReactorCraft for over-the-top power generation. I just recently learned that I can keep two low pressure steam turbines going with the waste heat from a gas turbine running at 25% speed. So I'm getting 1.897GW from a bit of lubricant and jet fuel both of which are quite easy to automate. For those that aren't familiar with RotaryCraft and ReactorCraft, if I converted this power to RF it would be 3,648,076RF/t.

https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/threads/1-897gw-from-a-throttled-gas-turbine.164248/
Awwwww Yeah!
2016-08-04_10.05.21_zpsu9xzd1kd.png

Reactions: Tenshi and JaRyCu