Future of Mods With 1.5

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Are 1.5 And The New Mods Good?

• Yes

Votes: 56 84.8%
  • No

Votes: 10 15.2%

• Total voters

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
We may get a few of the mods updated to 1.5 soonish (the next week or four), but getting ALL of the mods to 1.5, AND getting them all together working well is another task in and of itself.

By the time we see the 1.5 FTB Ultimate release, 1.6 should be around the corner with bug fixes to 1.5, mermaids, pigeons, a new hunger mechanic, no mod API, another partial release of a rework of the graphics engine, and more bugs to be fixed in 1.7.
Also no improvement to villages. I like how they gave us these ugly villagers (not pigmen like we all wanted for so long) that rarely build their villages right and abuse the fact that we can't just say no to their 9 diamonds for 1 emerald offers.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Also no improvement to villages. I like how they gave us these ugly villagers (not pigmen like we all wanted for so long) that rarely build their villages right and abuse the fact that we can't just say no to their 9 diamonds for 1 emerald offers.

Pigmen would have been nice, and why not just go mine some extreme hills? Quarrying them for emeralds is fun stuff.

GreenWolf13

Jul 29, 2019
Quite a few mods are already updated to Minecraft 1.5. The weekly snapshots and the pre release are very useful in updating Forge and MCP. Forge and MCP literally were ready to go the minute 1.5 was officially released, and with the new run-time deobfuscation feature, mods should now be more "future proof". There were a few changes underthe hood, but most mods (including red power) shouldn't have any trouble updating, especially if they've been keeping up with the weekly snapshots.

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
(not pigmen like we all wanted for so long)
Pigmen would have been nice,

Am I missing something..?
19Ui8.png

Chocorate

Jul 29, 2019
The original pigmen. Non-zombie ones. For a long time there were rumours that they would be the villagers. Not some squidwards that like to build their doors 30 feet above the ground and fall into ravines. But rather than spend more time on one feature, they'd rather add bats. Because everyone loves bats and pumpkin pie, right? And walls. And Quartz.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I look forward to everything else moving forward quickly and redpower being left behind. This will hopefully trigger Eloraam to reconsider the way her mod works and result in something new, wonderful, and more open.

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
The only mod that got directly hit by this update was BC, in my opinion. Rest in peace, BC Hoppers (and to a lesser extent, Obsidian Pipers and RP Transposers as well).
As for Quartz, I don't think any mod needs to do anything about the name. Isn't the new item called Nether Quartz? That alone specifies it's different from the normal kinds of quartz we have right now.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
The only mod that got directly hit by this update was BC, in my opinion. Rest in peace, BC Hoppers (and to a lesser extent, Obsidian Pipers and RP Transposers as well).
As for Quartz, I don't think any mod needs to do anything about the name. Isn't the new item called Nether Quartz? That alone specifies it's different from the normal kinds of quartz we have right now.
Good point I didn't think about that

Reactions: Dravarden

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
They are called "quartz crystals", though, I believe. It'd be nice if they called them "Crystalized Xychromium", and gave them different colors to match the other xycraft blocks.

And if AE ends up just using the nether-quartz, that'll move the quartz grindstone out of the early game, which would be bothersome.

Why would it move quartz grindstone to mid game?

As soon as I find 3 iron, preferably 4 and lava I go to the nether.
Nothing but stone tools, no armor and a couple pieces of food, on hard mode.

Does it require diamond or better to mine? Iron or better?
Even then it would only delay it until the second day of a world, maybe third.

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019

As soon as I find 3 iron, preferably 4 and lava I go to the nether.
Nothing but stone tools, no armor and a couple pieces of food, on hard mode.

Does it require diamond or better to mine? Iron or better?
Even then it would only delay it until the second day of a world, maybe third.
WHAT?!?!? How do you go to the Nether with 4 iron and food?
Don't you need 3 diamonds for obsidian???

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Wow dude that's insane. But a mold cast nether portal is quite clever I must say.
Lol.
Very old trick.
I'm sure it's been around longer than the 2+ years I've been playing.

Although it wasn't really that big a deal to go there until fortresses came in, outside of glowstone.

Reactions: danidas

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Simple you know how lava turns to obsidian when you pour water on it right? Just build the portal frame layer by layer turning each layer to obsidian before moving to the next one.

For a even greater cool factor if your fast enough it is possible to build the portal with out a mold by placing a lava source followed by water one next to it really fast before the lava spreads.

In other words all it takes is a single bucket to make a nether portal and a extra iron bar for the flint and steel.

Reactions: Mero

ILoveGregTech

Jul 29, 2019
Simple you know how lava turns to obsidian when you pour water on it right? Just build the portal frame layer by layer turning each layer to obsidian before moving to the next one.

For a even greater cool factor if your fast enough it is possible to build the portal with out a mold by placing a lava source followed by water one next to it really fast before the lava spreads.

In other words all it takes is a single bucket to make a nether portal and a extra iron bar for the flint and steel.
Oooooooooooh! I thought it was crafting lol that's quite cheaty but a good idea...

Mero

Jul 29, 2019

one of these days I'm gonna try to make one without a bucket. Just sand/gravel and dirt with water somewhere above the lava pool.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you did, but that was resolves, whoo!

Zombie pigmen for resident, 2013!

I don't think as many people rush towards the nether at such a pace, but if that is the case I must just be a laggard in making the nether a "someday" trip. That aside, requiring netherquartz would likely end up making it a much sooner activity, and one that would end up sitting in the same regard of "set up nether lava pump, ignore nether until I want some ender chests".

one of these days I'm gonna try to make one without a bucket. Just sand/gravel and dirt with water somewhere above the lava pool.

Start up a vanilla game, and play it sans the 3x3 crafting system. It's a LOT of fun.

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you did, but that was resolves, whoo!

Zombie pigmen for resident, 2013!

I don't think as many people rush towards the nether at such a pace, but if that is the case I must just be a laggard in making the nether a "someday" trip. That aside, requiring netherquartz would likely end up making it a much sooner activity, and one that would end up sitting in the same regard of "set up nether lava pump, ignore nether until I want some ender chests".

Start up a vanilla game, and play it sans the 3x3 crafting system. It's a LOT of fun.

I didn't really start rushing to the nether until I started playing modded minecraft.
I did go fairly early once potions came in but that is only because I use splash healing potions for xp traps, they are the only potions I ever use, the rest I find unnecessary. With modded minecraft though, going back to technic a year ago glowstone was needed early. Current modded minecraft It is kind of easier to have nether brick before you need it and blaze rods never hurt to have. I would rather just get the trip out if the way instead of having to stop other projects and make a run to the nether. The only thing I'm doing the first couple of days is gathering resources anyways, i see no reason to put it off when I have no need to go back again until I want wither skulls, which isn't something I ever feel like doing. I don't play mmo's because I hate spending hour upon hour killing the same uncommon mob hoping for that ultra rare drop. I have no desire to do it in minecraft.