FTB Infinity Skyblock 1.7.10 Help, Venting and Discussion Thread

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
Based upon the fact that RTG Pellets are required for high-end items, and since you need plutonium to make those, the clear path to take in the Infinity modpacks is to spam IC2 nukes. I used multiple one-block nukes that output 120 EU/t each, so I split them into groups of 4 and connect them to an MFE (4*120 EU/t=480 EU/t and the MFE outputs 512 EU/t).

So that obv takes care of the EU side in terms of power. You could spam 800 of the things very easily, then your big task would be obtaining enough uranium to run them all. Each nuke requires 2 Quad Fuel Rods.

But for RF, that's easy as well. Put an Immersive Engineering HV connector on the output of four MFE's and run all four lines into separate faces of Thermal Expansion Tesseract. You now have (512*4)=2048 RF/t from each MFE, and total of 2048*4=8192 RF/t coming from your Tess.

tl;dr Focus on IC2 nukes due to plutonium requirement for high-end items.

The reactor I spam is the second reactor listed in the second post in this thread on the IC2 forums, the one that outputs 120 EU/t, look at the screenshot to see the internal component of the nuke:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11729

And best of all, it cannot blow up, so you don't need any shielding. I run them right in the middle of all my stuff. Living dangerously. hahah

i had one blow last night but it was due to a bug. Apparently if you use a dolly when the all the components are inside most of those components will disappear. Iuckly only the reactor blew and didn't damage anything else. I do agree tho get reactors up asap and expand when possible!

TrJace

Jul 29, 2019
Based upon the fact that RTG Pellets are required for high-end items, and since you need plutonium to make those, the clear path to take in the Infinity modpacks is to spam IC2 nukes. I used multiple one-block nukes that output 120 EU/t each, so I split them into groups of 4 and connect them to an MFE (4*120 EU/t=480 EU/t and the MFE outputs 512 EU/t).

So that obv takes care of the EU side in terms of power. You could spam 800 of the things very easily, then your big task would be obtaining enough uranium to run them all. Each nuke requires 2 Quad Fuel Rods, and you get 8 tiny plutoniums every 5 hours from the depleted quad rods (almost one full Plutonium ball every 5 hours from one nuke). In Skyblock, uranium is incredibly easy to obtain in quantity, just sieve a ton of sand.

But for RF, that's easy as well. Put an Immersive Engineering HV connector on the output of four MFE's and run all four lines into separate faces of Thermal Expansion Tesseract. You now have (512*4)=2048 RF/t from each MFE, and total of 2048*4=8192 RF/t coming from your Tess. Don't use an MFSU, the output exceed the capacity of the Immersive Engineering HV connectors. Use MFE's for this technique.

tl;dr Focus on IC2 nukes due to plutonium requirement for high-end items.

The reactor I spam is the second reactor listed in the second post in this thread on the IC2 forums, the one that outputs 120 EU/t, look at the screenshot to see the internal component of the nuke:
http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11729

And best of all, it cannot blow up, so you don't need any shielding. I run them right in the middle of all my stuff. Living dangerously. hahah
Thats a good 2 for 1. I was just going to use ic2 to dupe the iridium once I have 1 but this method should speed it up quite a bit.

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
Thats a good 2 for 1. I was just going to use ic2 to dupe the iridium once I have 1 but this method should speed it up quite a bit.

I went the dupe route after I had enough for my first piece of irridium made as well as 9 pellets for a 7x7x1 big reactor. But I've always been someone who avoids IC2 as much as possible.

Nedrith

Jul 29, 2019
Also if you want plutonium even faster use MOX fuel rods, any stable uranium reactor can run MOX. MOX does have an initial plutonium investment but it depletes itself 2x quicker for the same net plutonium gain. Takes a while to get a good return on the investment but after that it's all profits. If you care about EU per a reactor look up a decent MOX reactor design and the EU/t can get quite high. I get 1.1k off my 6 chamber nuke.

If you don't like using HV wire connectors, I personally hate them for high EU-RF conversion because they require one connector per every 512 EU/t, you can use hyper energy nodes. A lot more of an investment in terms of resources but bedrocium is just 3 plutonium basically. They convert over 2k EU to RF and you only need one connection to energy storage total even when using multiple nodes. Was transferring 18k RF/T from my 4 1.1k MOX reactors. Only other downside is unlike HV wire connectors they only go from EU to RF not the other way around.

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
Never saw the use of skyblocks. The main point of modded MC is to find ever more creative ways to dig bloody great holes in the landscape. Where's the fun if the hole is already dug for you? ;)
Personally, if I could get the skyblock recipes in regular infinity evolved, I'd probably be playing that. Regular Infinity Evolved got boring because it was too easy to get everything, but Expert mode was a little too hardcore for me (read as "I got bored after hand mining 20 stacks of iron"), and some of the recipes just seem ridiculous (for example the compacting drawer recipe.)

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, if I could get the skyblock recipes in regular infinity evolved, I'd probably be playing that. Regular Infinity Evolved got boring because it was too easy to get everything, but Expert mode was a little too hardcore for me (read as "I got bored after hand mining 20 stacks of iron"), and some of the recipes just seem ridiculous (for example the compacting drawer recipe.)

Yes. The compacting Drawer recipe in normal Infinity Evolved is stupid. Odd that it is so cheap in the skyblock since you get infinite resources after a couple hours of play. But the normal infinity expert mode has changed some recipes. I know the AE2 wrench change was made there too. The only different recipe that I can think of is the compacting drawer unfortunately. I've actually switched over from skyblock to normal expert mode. the skyblock with infinite resources became too easy and you run out of progression quite quickly and start working on the "just because I can" creative items. I know that minecraft isn't a progression game, but the expert mode is built around that idea but falls short in the skyblock. I've tried Boundless Expanse, but that pack is even easier than this, and is lacking in a few areas like only vanilla tools early on.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Last night, we learned the hard way that the IC2 nuke explosion range was slightly increased. An apparently safe reactor design exploded and forced us to recover from a 90 minute old backup when nearly the entire base went poof.

*sigh*

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
I've actually switched over from skyblock to normal expert mode. the skyblock with infinite resources became too easy and you run out of progression quite quickly and start working on the "just because I can" creative items. I know that minecraft isn't a progression game, but the expert mode is built around that idea but falls short in the skyblock. I've tried Boundless Expanse, but that pack is even easier than this, and is lacking in a few areas like only vanilla tools early on.

I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately... I'm a player, not a server operator. From the perspective of our server's operator, Skyblock wins... because it's far less of a strain on his server.

But ignoring that aspect (which is very important if you run a server of course), from a player's perspective, Infinity Skyblock is not difficult at all, in fact I consider it to be a fairly easy modpack with very few difficulties whatsoever. And very few challenges, more importantly... unless you consider collecting "trophies" to be a challenge. I don't, I agree that I play this game for the progression aspect. Regular Infinity Expert Mode was almost perfect. But Skyblock is not, it's nowhere close to the same level.

Reactions: Azzanine

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
Last night, we learned the hard way that the IC2 nuke explosion range was slightly increased. An apparently safe reactor design exploded and forced us to recover from a 90 minute old backup when nearly the entire base went poof.

*sigh*

That is why I stick to single-block (i.e. "one chamber") IC2 nukes, and spam them. Yes, larger and more complex nukes can generate much more power individually... but just look at the tragic consequences you must deal with. Why bother risking that? Just spam the small nukes that cannot blow up, because their internal heat never rises above 0% or 1% at the most, making base-destroying explosions absolutely impossible.

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
That is why I stick to single-block (i.e. "one chamber") IC2 nukes, and spam them. Yes, larger and more complex nukes can generate much more power individually... but just look at the tragic consequences you must deal with. Why bother risking that? Just spam the small nukes that cannot blow up, because their internal heat never rises above 0% or 1% at the most, making base-destroying explosions absolutely impossible.
While I cannot argue with that notion in general, my heavy sigh was more on the lines of finding out, the hard way, that something you tried to plan for just wasn't good enough. Our reactors were 30 blocks from the base, and we had no reason to suspect that distance wasn't even half enough based on the resources we'd used in reactor design and construction planning.

Losing a reactor is seriously demoralizing. Losing the entire base when you had reason to believe it was safe. Well, I can only say I'm SUPER glad that our backup was only 90 minutes old.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
While I cannot argue with that notion in general, my heavy sigh was more on the lines of finding out, the hard way, that something you tried to plan for just wasn't good enough. Our reactors were 30 blocks from the base, and we had no reason to suspect that distance wasn't even half enough based on the resources we'd used in reactor design and construction planning.

Losing a reactor is seriously demoralizing. Losing the entire base when you had reason to believe it was safe. Well, I can only say I'm SUPER glad that our backup was only 90 minutes old.
should have put a reinforced wall as a shield

zilvarwolf

Jul 29, 2019
should have put a reinforced wall as a shield
Indeed. Or put the reactor far enough away that it was outside of the expected explosion radius (in case you didn't know, the radius is changed to 60 blocks from 24. I do not know if that's IC2-standard now, but it was quite a bit bigger than the guy building the reactors expected).

Or used a reactor design that was considered safe. Or some combination of those things.

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
I agree with this 100%. Unfortunately... I'm a player, not a server operator. From the perspective of our server's operator, Skyblock wins... because it's far less of a strain on his server.

But ignoring that aspect (which is very important if you run a server of course), from a player's perspective, Infinity Skyblock is not difficult at all, in fact I consider it to be a fairly easy modpack with very few difficulties whatsoever. And very few challenges, more importantly... unless you consider collecting "trophies" to be a challenge. I don't, I agree that I play this game for the progression aspect. Regular Infinity Expert Mode was almost perfect. But Skyblock is not, it's nowhere close to the same level.

It's not unfixable. I'm currently toying with modifying the normal expert mode and making it a garden of glass skyblock. (of course tweaking the compacting drawer recipe)

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing that will truly satisfy my Minecraft urges is when Gregorious T finally released the next version of his wonderful mod... or should I say "if" he ever released it for us to actually play. LOL If we're talking progression, GT is far and away in its own universe, the rest of these so-called "expert" packs are mere pretenders.

spcsting

Jul 29, 2019
The only thing that will truly satisfy my Minecraft urges is when Gregorious T finally released the next version of his wonderful mod... or should I say "if" he ever released it for us to actually play. LOL If we're talking progression, GT is far and away in its own universe, the rest of these so-called "expert" packs are mere pretenders.

I prefer TFC to GT, unfortunately TFC doesn't have tech or magic built in on it's own. Some of the packs out there are attempting to do something, but haven't found one I like yet.

pulli23

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry if this has been asked already - but I'm kind of stuck.

I just created a blast furnace - but to upgrade it, and go further I need to created sheet metals - so using the metal press. However these require molds, which in turn require already the steel plates. What route to go from there?

Do I really have to go through the metal former?

TrJace

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sorry if this has been asked already - but I'm kind of stuck.

I just created a blast furnace - but to upgrade it, and go further I need to created sheet metals - so using the metal press. However these require molds, which in turn require already the steel plates. What route to go from there?

Do I really have to go through the metal former?
I haven't tried this route but... Can you use the Ic2 hammer to make the first plates?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Vaeliorin

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't tried this route but... Can you use the Ic2 hammer to make the first plates?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
You can, and it would be your only option. But you definitely want at least one metal former. The metal press is incredibly slow, and can't make the massive amounts of wires needed. I'd use the metal press for gears, as it's better for automation than a smeltery (no worries about accidentally making alloys), but that's the only thing I'd use it for.