Casual Server Looking to start a small (private) community of about 10 people

• This section is now closed. Server owners can remake their threads in the new server section here. If you are looking for a server you can use both this section and the new section for the time being.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
What I want to accomplish
I want to establish a small community of 10 or so players where everyone is regarded as an equal. I hate to make comparisons to a YouTube series, but something along the lines of the Forgecraft server from Direwolf20's server play is the general idea. This is not intended to be a YouTube series and I am not wanting to make money from this server. All I want is a mature group of people who can have fun with each other where there is no worry of griefers, losing builds, or other nonsense. You should also be in the U.S. or Canada if you want to join, to try and minimize the lag.

Who I am looking for
When I said "mature", I wasn't talking about not having fun. Quite the opposite in fact. I am looking for goofy, fun loving, prank having (only friendly pranks), and just generally nerdy videogame lovers to populate this strange new world. I'm not the best with Minecraft mods myself, so I am hoping to learn, progress, and have fun. Any knowledge of Minecraft and Minecraft mods is acceptable as long as you are open minded and willing to learn. I understand that age does not necessarily correlate 1:1 with maturity, but as a general rule you should be at least 16 years old if you want to play with us. I of course strive for older players of 18 and older, so if you are 13 or 14, you most likely aren't going to be accepted. It is also a plus if you are willing to play other games besides Minecraft, since there ARE other videogames out there contrary to popular belief. I know that we all love us some Minecraft, but a round of TF2 or a game of Worms is nice every so often. You will also need a (decent) microphone to be a part of the community. If your microphone sounds like garbage, then you will unfortunately be denied. It isn't hard to go to an electronics store and pick up a decent microphone for $10 or so.

How we will get there
I don't currently have a server set up and I'm not sure what the best road forward would be. Once we get a few people on board, we can discuss how we want to proceed. Whether it be a locally hosted server on one of our machines, a small dedicated server, or something else, it should definitely be 24/7. At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate, I am unable to purchase or host a server myself. I am currently searching for a job to help put myself through college and can't afford to shell out monthly payments for a Minecraft server. Also, my internet is spectacularly awful, so I'm unable to locally host a server.

How to contact me
The best way to get in touch if you are interested is to post here and I will add your name to this post. Once we get a decent number of people, I can get a local Ventrilo or Teamspeak server set up and we can go through an interview process. Nothing scary or anything, but I want to make sure that all of us mesh together well. As an example, if 10 people want to be a part of the community, I will pull each of the 10 people into a private chat with me one at a time. I will then choose someone that I liked back into the private chat where we will then repeat the process and then vote yes or no whether they should be a part of the community. At the end of the day, we should end up with a few people who all like each other and are able to have fun. This may be 3 people, 5 people, or more, but basically if you don't flow well with the rest of the group, you're out. I don't want to sound like an evil dictator or anything, as I promote equality heavily, but this seems like the easiest way to get a small group of friendly people together.

That's about it! Good luck, have fun, and godspeed.

Potential Members
Matterbound
subsandwich
EvilTunix
numbahl
lightlynamed
edub912
BlazeDozer
B33TL3
Tlacatecolototl
agold2539
Amp
shadowfox324
timewarp
cav2805
trevor_16
ixixavierixi

subsandwich

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds interesting. I have been looking for a community to join. Casual play. Recently I have been playing on a private server with 2 other friends. I and my 2 other friends are 18 years old and are attending college. I would like to join and I may be able to bring my friends over too. (we have decent working mics). my minecraft username is subsandwich. My 2 friends are ixixavierixi and trevor_16

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds interesting. I have been looking for a community to join. Casual play. Recently I have been playing on a private server with 2 other friends. I and my 2 other friends are 18 years old and are attending college. I would like to join and I may be able to bring my friends over too. (we have decent working mics). my minecraft username is subsandwich. My 2 friends are ixixavierixi and trevor_16

Sounds great! Are you free this weekend for the "meeting" if we get more people?

bigcatchandler

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I have everything you said except the 16 part. My friend is the same as me and we are both 13. We both have youtube and we're pretty cool.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
Hello, I have everything you said except the 16 part. My friend is the same as me and we are both 13. We both have youtube and we're pretty cool.

I know how frustrating age is in gaming, but I'm sorry; you can't join. I wish you the best of luck in finding another server!

subsandwich

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't mind me asking. Do you know exactly what mod pack you will be using and any notable config changes in it? I am generally up for anything with FTB but I would like to know what I am signing up for :)

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
If you don't mind me asking. Do you know exactly what mod pack you will be using and any notable config changes in it? I am generally up for anything with FTB but I would like to know what I am signing up for :)

Most likely Ultimate unless there are better suggestions. I'm even up for custom/private packs if everyone can agree. It will be decided once everyone is together, but nothing will be chosen unless everyone agrees.

EvilTunix

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a pretty solid idea. If you find a server host, or someone with non-shitty Internet, I can run it for you. Depends on size of the server, but running Ultimate with 5-8 people will require about 3 gigs of ram minimum.
Also, there are a lot of empty Vent or TS server out there, most are never used. My Skype name is IAmGhostLee, Minecraft is ESSBlackout. I'm 19. :D

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like a pretty solid idea. If you find a server host, or someone with non-shitty Internet, I can run it for you. Depends on size of the server, but running Ultimate with 5-8 people will require about 3 gigs of ram minimum.
Also, there are a lot of empty Vent or TS server out there, most are never used. My Skype name is IAmGhostLee, Minecraft is ESSBlackout. I'm 19. :D

Awesome! I knew there was at least a small demand for this type of thing, but it's just always so difficult to get a group together. People usually suck. ;)

EvilTunix

Jul 29, 2019
Awesome! I knew there was at least a small demand for this type of thing, but it's just always so difficult to get a group together. People usually suck. ;)
It's easy to get a group together, hard to get a group that isn't a bunch of 12 year olds asking for gear spawning in every time they die. That kills the game so much for me

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
It's easy to get a group together, hard to get a group that isn't a bunch of 12 year olds asking for gear spawning in every time they die. That kills the game so much for me

That is very true. Minecraft attracts a lot of people, but the ones who make themselves vocal are usually not of the ages that I like to team up with.

numbahl

Jul 29, 2019
This sounds pretty interesting, as I myself have been interested in getting a server together for quite some time

numbahl

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, I'll be free anytime this weekend for a meeting, except for Sunday where I will be out of town.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
Nice, I'll be free anytime this weekend for a meeting, except for Sunday where I will be out of town.

We'll probably have the meeting tomorrow during the the early afternoon if everyone is available. I'll send out a PM to everyone later tonight and then one more tomorrow a couple hours before the meeting.

Real_akatosh

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I created an account just to post on this topic. I've been playing FTB for a while, I have a really far progressed hardcore single player, as well as a couple of awesome creations on a friends Ultimate server.
However, most of the people on that server are trolls, and all of my stuff got griefed the other day -.-
So this little community of yours sounds like a great deal of fun, to be able to share a server with a group of other mature minecraft players, interested in learning all of the crazy mods that come with feed the beast.
I have a good quality mic, and am currently 19 years old and have a pretty vast expanse of knowledge on the feed the beast mod suite.

Matterbound

Jul 29, 2019
Hey there, I created an account just to post on this topic. I've been playing FTB for a while, I have a really far progressed hardcore single player, as well as a couple of awesome creations on a friends Ultimate server.
However, most of the people on that server are trolls, and all of my stuff got griefed the other day -.-
So this little community of yours sounds like a great deal of fun, to be able to share a server with a group of other mature minecraft players, interested in learning all of the crazy mods that come with feed the beast.
I have a good quality mic, and am currently 19 years old and have a pretty vast expanse of knowledge on the feed the beast mod suite.

Added to the main post!

Directed towards everyone who has applied so far:
Are you all free tomorrow around 2-4 PM EST?

edub912

Jul 29, 2019
Currently in college but I have a lot of free time due to my class schedule at the moment. This idea is really appealing, as the one I'm on at the moment is extremely boring, with everyone pretty much fending for themselves, and trading resources when needed. I could definitely split the server costs with a few others if needed. I'm fairly knowledgeable about early-mid game IC2, BC, and Thermal Expansion, although I really haven't touched late game Gregtech and advanced wiring designs, but I'm more than willing to learn.

I played WoW semi-competitively throughout high school, but I've dipped my feet into pretty much every major game on the market.

Skype and MC usernames are the same as my login, feel free to contact me anytime, I'm usually on. I'm currently on a Mac so I usually use my built in mic, but I could easily bring my much better headphones to school if sound quality is an issue.