Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I was under the impression that AMD processors were subpar compared to Intel's. I'v checked CPU Boss to compare different pairs and, completely disregarding presence or absence of integrated graphic, there was no AMD CPU equaling or surpassing Intel in the same price range. Except on the number of cores.

I've picked the most recent AMD processor and I did not manage to beat some Intels that were not the most recent.

Are those values misleading? What should I be looking for?

What Intel graphics? That junk that is built into their chipsets? Unless you are thinking of nVidia GPUs...

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
GPU-wise, I've always used AMD cards, but my next one will probably be nvidia. Every couple years or so I'll run into an issue where my graphics drivers refuse to play nice with minecraft, and I don't see nvidia users having the same problems.
That, in my view, was AMD's biggest mistake: teaming up with ATI. Never been very fond of their cards. Don't get me wrong, my laptop runs ATI graphics and its a fine machine, but I've always been partial to nVidia ever since they bought Voodoo way back when.

Reactions: Pyure

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
We want people to play, gating knowledge behind playing is much more reasonable than charging to play the mod.

Although based off the idea I mentioned, to stop it so people just repost all the content on a different wiki, things like world seed affect how different things work so the info shown by the wiki is customized based off your code. You need to put the code into the wiki or the information you get will be unreliable at best and horribly detrimental at worst, don't want to find out you're in a world where natural substances like wood are superior and you're checking info on one where metals are the best stuff the hard way after all.

That was a tongue-in-cheek posting, hence the emoticon at the end.

V

Viperion

Go to the Curse settings>Minecraft. Paste there. you see no allocation because by setting the bar (above the box where you paste that) adds the parameter for RAM when you start the game. By the way, when you do start the game, on the Minecraft launcher edit profile (you'll see the parameters and memory allocation there) edit the Java path to, instead of using the silly Java Runtime Environment directory, go to your installed Java path. Sadly you'll have to reset that path each time you close the game AND the launcher. Just closing the game, as long as the launcher is not shut down, does not require the path to be reinputed.
Did a few tests with it last night; I wasn't using the Curse Launcher but the FTB one. However, downloaded the Curse Launcher got it all set up and tested it; there was unfortunately no difference between using your settings and using no settings at all (tested both FTB and Curse versions, both with and without the extra arguments). Still getting ~35-55fps depending on what I'm doing. Thanks for the help though :)

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
CPU and RAM are your main 2 hitters, however, if your GPU can't hit a home run too, then it the whole team see poor results.
AMD are actually extremely good, yes they may take a while to get their drivers in gear, however, they are probably the best bang for their buck.

But you would probably find that RAM and GPU both amount to the same impact on game performance.
A GTX titan with only 2GB of RAM will probably perform better than if I had 32gb of RAM in my current PC (which is a few years old). Because your graphics card actually does a fair amount more than just process graphics. And, it's the reason why, with most games you will see the same RAM amount, but different GPU requirements for games. (obviously, RAM requirements will go up slightly over time)
Minecraft isnt like most games tho, its load is on a single core on your CPU.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Did a few tests with it last night; I wasn't using the Curse Launcher but the FTB one. However, downloaded the Curse Launcher got it all set up and tested it; there was unfortunately no difference between using your settings and using no settings at all (tested both FTB and Curse versions, both with and without the extra arguments). Still getting ~35-55fps depending on what I'm doing. Thanks for the help though :)
I have noticed different launchers can have, sometimes massive, changes (generally on worse PCs). For example, the vanilla launcher will really tank my FPS, whereas MultiMC will give me a better FPS compared to any other launcher, by at least 5fps average (depending on the pack)

Minecraft is just like any game. The better your specs, the more likely you are to run it well. Just because it only uses 1 core, it doesn't mean have a dual core pentium processor is going to make the game run the same speed (assuming everything else in the PC is the same) as someone with a quad core i7.

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
If you use the parameters I gave you coupled with Optifine's Multi-Core rendering, you can use more than 1 core and you'll definitely notice better performance. When I pasted the code here I noticed I was only using 4 out of my 6 cores. I gained about 15 FPS by using the 6. And if multi-core rendering goes fucky there's this fix IF you're running an Nvidia card: http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/optifine-multi-core-chunk-loading-nvidia-guide.54234/

Edit: words

Last edited:
Reactions: jordsta95

Dkittrell

Jul 29, 2019
If you use the parameters I gave you coupled with Optifine's Multi-Core rendering, you can use more than 1 core and you'll definitely notice better performance. When I pasted the code here I noticed I was only using 4 out of my 6 cores. I gained about 15 FPS by using the 6. And if multi-core rendering goes fucky there's this fix IF you're running an Nvidia card: http://www.mcgamer.net/threads/optifine-multi-core-chunk-loading-nvidia-guide.54234/

Edit: words
Doesn't hurt to try something new.I have a very nice setup but there are a few bases here and there that my computer hates so maybe this will help that.

Reactions: Ashendale

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
Doesn't hurt to try something new.I have a very nice setup but there are a few bases here and there that my computer hates so maybe this will help that.
I also noticed that, with 6 cores, Soartex runs around 90-100 FPS, while Sphax goes below 60 (in caves). I have no idea what to make of this...
Hi there~
So I've been completely away from minecraft for over 4 months...
Just reinstalled the launcher, seems like only one new official modpack (and it looks like not exactly a modpack). Did I miss something? Or some awesome new modpacks coming soon?
In short, did anything worth knowing about happened in that time?

Modpack development has slowed down for 1.7.10. They are focusing on bug squashing on 1.8.9 (Unstable).

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
Ways to check if a block exists in infinity without turtles, playing expert and want to be able to check if a block exists in a location and emit a redstone signal when it does. For a tree cutting system, need to be able to emit a signal only while the tree is grown.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Ways to check if a block exists in infinity without turtles, playing expert and want to be able to check if a block exists in a location and emit a redstone signal when it does. For a tree cutting system, need to be able to emit a signal only while the tree is grown.
Block Update Detector (BUD) switch
Steve's Factory manager
Or, it it is just 1 tree, have a repeater facing into the sapling, and one facing away, either side. Then power the one facing into it. That way, when the tree grows, the redstone signal will be passed through, and you can work from there :)

Reactions: Inaeo

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Block Update Detector (BUD) switch
Steve's Factory manager
Or, it it is just 1 tree, have a repeater facing into the sapling, and one facing away, either side. Then power the one facing into it. That way, when the tree grows, the redstone signal will be passed through, and you can work from there :)

Vanilla for the win!

Reactions: jordsta95

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
BUDs unfortunately do not work, a BUD next to a tree will block its growth. Good idea though.

That said, I eventually got my goal halfworking, while I couldn't figure out how to do it by tree I did something that's probably better really, figured out how to get a filler and an activator working together to autosmelt lumberaxe wood produced from a normal tree farm.

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
BUDs unfortunately do not work, a BUD next to a tree will block its growth. Good idea though.

That said, I eventually got my goal halfworking, while I couldn't figure out how to do it by tree I did something that's probably better really, figured out how to get a filler and an activator working together to autosmelt lumberaxe wood produced from a normal tree farm.
What about a BUD on the dirt/grass under the tree/sapling?

Xavion

Jul 29, 2019
But if it's grass, it'll turn to dirt (eventually). It's not a perfect or reliable solution though.
Right, but then I want to grow the tree again and the blocks already dirt now so it won't work for any future trees.

As mentioned, I resolved this by just splitting it into two systems so I could use a normal treefarm. The other was this setup, that'll take a supply of logs and RF and turn it into charcoal and xp via a filler and autonomous activator with lumberaxe.
2016-03-12_03.54.12.png

Reactions: erindalc