Tinkers' Construct, why only allow up to a Hardened Capacitor for Flux?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Pack: FTB Presents Direwolf20 (v1.10.0)

So apparently (from my testing) I cannot put anything higher than a Hardened Flux Capacitor on a tool to give it the Flux modifier. I tried both uncharged and charged capacitors and the results were the same.

Why is this? Several months ago, I was able to slap on a Resonant Flux Capacitor on my tools just fine... now I cannot, and there's no reason for it. Was there a change in the config, and can I change it back to what it was to allow a Resonant Flux Capacitor to be placed and it'll work?
These are brand new tools. Undamaged.

Last edited:

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
The level of capacitor allowed depends on the max durability of the tool. Add an emerald to it to increase durability before you try to add flux and if it still wont take it then build another tool with stronger materials.

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Do you know the formula for this? Like, how much durability is required for a Resonant Capacitor?
Currently I have a Broadsword made out of a Manyullyn blade, a Paper Binding, and a Blue Slime handle. 2880 durability.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
Here's the kicker. I also have a pickaxe I made those "several months ago" made out of the same materials. It has less durability... yet I was able to slap on a Resonant Flux Capacitor.
So maybe it's changed to be harder (for no reason or even knowledge of what is needed to be able to place a Resonant Capacitor now).

Or, maybe you can only slap on a Hardened now. It even says in the book; "Adding a Hardened Flux Capacitor or Leadstone Energy Cell gives a tool energy." I could had sworn I was able to place any level capacitor before and it worked, charged or not.
Though it also states "Tools must have at least 1/1000th of the batteries capacity in durability". I'm not 100% sure if that was there before.

So with that being said, what would be "1/1000th" durability required for a Resonant Flux Capacitor? 30,000 durability? Is that even possible?

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
THB you don't need any higher then hardend. If you keep a few resonant capacitors on you you can mine for days on a hardened level capacitor fluxed mod.
The only stats you need to care about is the recharge rate. If you have a full cobalt maxed redstone pick you may want at least that electrum level capacitor. Otherwise the capacitor will drain faster then it's charged. But if your tool is only a bit fast hardeneds all you need.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Why would you even use a resonant capacitor on a tool? It's a big old overkill waste.
As I said, just use hardened on the tool and an activated resonant capacitor in your hotbar. It will work a charm unless your tool is breaking at 50 blocks a second.
The hardened capacitor has way less RF storage for the tool but the resonant capacitor quickly fills it up.

Benie76

Jul 29, 2019
It's for a Sword, not a Pick. Just my friend was saying how having a Resonant Flux Capacitor means you'll be able to mine longer. For a sword, kill longer.
Plus having a Resonant Capacitor (not on the tool) is an inventory slot that is being used. But seeing how I can only get a Hardened on the tool now... I may not really have a choice.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
For swords it's even better you can get away with leadstone capacitors. As damage tends to be calculated by each strike and wepons built to kill in one hit you aren't actually going to be damageing the thing much.
I actually just put a level of mossy on my swords. It's good enough pending you don't do an ungodly amount of combat. I use swords sparingly and mostly building. Any damage my sword takes is usually healed before the next fight.

Reactions: RedBoss

BIG mac

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't even know you could add past hardened capacitor. Would have been nice to know before I made that redstone upgraded fully cobalt hammer.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I do a fair amount of combat, and I've never needed more than Mossy to get me by. Even a flint sword with Mossy can get you through a hard night and be repaired again by noon. If you were to take a low durability sword into a Runic Dungeon, you might want something stronger, but then you'd want a better sword than a fast repairing letter opener.

Moss on swords is enough. Frankly, I've found a level of Mossy to be sufficient on most toos, but I can see the want for RF support on a pick or hammer for extended use. The Mossy on my pick/hammer is enough to gather enough materials for automated mining and enough power tonrun it. After that, my need for extended mining trips is limited to whim.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah a resonant capacitor on a sword is definitely overkill. Pretty sure ardite rods give a a huge durability boost and couple that with the emerald +50% durability, its not difficult to make a tool that can accept at least reinforced. Ive used a reinforced level sword to automatically kill stuff in mob farms for hours on end without running out of charge. Only a hammer after digging long tunnels even comes close to needing a resonant capacitor.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Hardened Capacitors are more than enough for weapons, if you have a manullyn rapier with a hardened capacitor and max quartz (with extra modifiers), for example. You will be able to leave it without recharging for days.
Why a rapier? Just because it bypasses armour :p (hence the only reason I use it)

As for tools, electrum (if possible) would be more than enough. And, as mentioned, there is nothing stopping you taking a resonant capacitor with you as you mine, to keep your tool(s) charged. But putting the resonant capacitor on your tool(s) is lunacy. You will NEVER use that much RF. Your inventory would overflow. As would 10 golden bags of holding. And probably (not certain) 2 64k AE storage cells being fed by an ender chest or 2 (which would be full). And after this, you would still have charge in your capacitor

raiju

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend larger capacitors where possible on weapons if you decide to play on a pack with hardcore ender expansion (or similar grueling dungeon mods). The louse dungeons work through colossal amounts of RF in the 32x spawner rooms. A strong capacitor on a tool also makes it last a lot longer before needing a recharge as an important note, rather than a low tier one that will be equivalent or possibly weaker.

The hammer's a little overkill unless you have tinker tweaks jacking up your speed ridiculously, at which point slap a resonant on and it'll last all but the most hardcore miner's trips.

Also the AE exaggeration is just that - if you are using an ender pouch to extend mining trips (I strongly recommend!) then you can easily work through 50% of a resonant hammer on a long trip. You'll struggle to mine 128000 blocks (post condensing) with anything short of crazy tier tools in one trip before just... getting what you came for.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
If I'm remembering correctly, the formula is 10% the capacity in durability. So 2,000 durability for a Redstone Flux capacitor I believe.

Though I tend to carry a Resonant Capacitor, and use Modular Powersuit legs to charge as I walk and almost never run low on juice.

Dentvar

Jul 29, 2019
If I'm remembering correctly, the formula is 10% the capacity in durability. So 2,000 durability for a Redstone Flux capacitor I believe.

Though I tend to carry a Resonant Capacitor, and use Modular Powersuit legs to charge as I walk and almost never run low on juice.

I can confirm this. Cant find the link now, but I ran into the same problem some weeks before. I like the change so it makes you at least thing a bit more about wich material to use. Before I did not even care about the durability since I will apply resonate flux anyway.

Looking forward to the new TC version were materials seems to have a bigger variation so we do not end up with out "best pick/best sword" setup thread and making different materials useless in kitchen sink packs.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Looking forward to the new TC version were materials seems to have a bigger variation so we do not end up with out "best pick/best sword" setup thread and making different materials useless in kitchen sink packs.
I have a hard time envisioning those threads going away.

Reactions: RedBoss