Mechanics discussion: all about the grind

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Just a side note here, but I think one problematic aspect of "grind" in Minecraft (for me at least), is that there is basically no skill required. Only time and knowledge. This means that things may begin to feel like a grind, since you are only going through the (trivial) motions, once the needed knowledge on what to do is acquired.

As an example to perhaps make my point a little clearer, I've been playing Heists in GTA Online quite a bit recently. While being repetitive, once you've gone through them a few times, you have gameplay elements there like driving, flying and shooting that are quite dynamic. The skill of the player can make a huge difference.

Although the variation these dynamic elements provide isn't always that big, I think the sense of being able to clearly affect outcomes by skill, and not just time and knowledge, helps quite a bit in making the grind feel less grindy.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Just a side note here, but I think one problematic aspect of "grind" in Minecraft (for me at least), is that there is basically no skill required. Only time and knowledge. This means that things may begin to feel like a grind, since you are only going through the (trivial) motions, once the needed knowledge on what to do is acquired.

As an example to perhaps make my point a little clearer, I've been playing Heists in GTA Online quite a bit recently. While being repetitive, once you've gone through them a few times, you have gameplay elements there like driving, flying and shooting that are quite dynamic. The skill of the player can make a huge difference.

Although the variation these dynamic elements provide isn't always that big, I think the sense of being able to clearly affect outcomes by skill, and not just time and knowledge, helps quite a bit in making the grind feel less grindy.

yes. Minecraft just isnt fun if your goal is to hollow out a cave, hoard resources, generate power, craft things and automate just for the sake of doing it. The fun part is in the building of cool stuff. I use mods and automation to enable almost-creative mode, and to give builds a function. People who dont play to build are weird. Thats only my personal opinion though.

AuricPolaris

Jul 29, 2019
I know people have discussed previously what easy vs hard is and if a grind is considered something hard or difficult but I will say that I like the "easy" grind.

Others have mentioned it in various ways but I like a grind in which I do not have to put too much effort into it; it is a time sink for the 1 hour after work before bed, it is something that you can afk on, it is something that you don't have to constantly micromanage 24/7 to ensure you don't have to start over. To me, Infinity Expert Mode is not a "hard" grind, it is an "easy" grind. I can log in for 1 hour, do a few things and still feel like I made progress. But then I also only play to just do something besides my job, I am not looking to win all the things or to socialize, I just want something to do when I get home that I can generally spend lots of time on because I don't have the funds to purchase a new game every three months.

I feel this post turned into my own mini-release while a moment's rest at work. Oh well!

splashblue

Jul 29, 2019
I recommend you look into the BiblioCraft Clipboard. It is perfect for To Do lists and remembering the steps in complicated recipes. It even comes with check boxes next to each line, so you can visually check your progress. They can also be hung on walls (I keep one by the door to remind me of what supplies I'm low on, particularly in the early game.). I find myself lost without one these days.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely try those :)

Reactions: Inaeo

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
What part of my comment are you "nope-ing"? There cannot be a non-subjective definition of {degree of tolerance or appreciation for} grind, because the point when a task stops being fun and becomes a grind is different depending on the person. Ive seen you imply time and again that you have played many modpacks which means a start from scratch each and every time, indicating a high level of tolerance towards early game grind whereas I feel that early game is only fun after a sufficient period of not playing minecraft at all.
There you go :)

Agreed with you on most of the rest, although the early game can be fascinating in the right pack. Totally subjective :)

Reactions: RedBoss

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I think grind is good to set a contrast to the power of a tool/mechanic.
It's why it's so good to set up a quarry; your memory of picking rows and rows of stone to get to ore make the quarry seem like a very good thing. If you got one off the bat it wouldn't feel as good.
Grind isn't good on it's own but it's nessesary for that feeling of accomplishment.
Even time poor survival players need grind. I mean if they where truly allergic to grind they would play Creative Mode, but they don't. The right amount of resistance can make something more enjoyable. So long as there isn't to much resistance.

Expert mode is for those that need a lot more resistance to their goals. Yes; in the form of grind and "Time Gates".
Difficulty can be applied In many ways, instituting grind is one valid if not lazily used methods.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
This thread is full of clever insight useful for anyone who is interested in making recipe tweaks for their own modpacks. I would like the conversation to also include ideas about balance, progression, and stuff like that.

Reactions: RedBoss and Pyure

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
This thread is full of clever insight useful for anyone who is interested in making recipe tweaks for their own modpacks. I would like the conversation to also include ideas about balance, progression, and stuff like that.
That sounds like it would deserve its own thread, but absolutely a topic of discussion when discussing 'grind'.

As a mod pack dev, I don't often make any recipe tweaks, since that is generally something I prefer to leave to the mod devs themselves. However, there is an extensive amount I do within the config files that has a significant impact here that I can address.

Before we start on yet another wall o' text, I'd just like to state for the record that the following is my own personal opinion and should not be taken as any kind of objective statements or demands.

Balance is a tricky term. You have to pick a balance point, and go from there. Generally, what I do is pick a mod, or perhaps a small set of mods, that I use as my 'fulcrum', my litmus test if you will, and balance around them. For example, in my current pack, I'm using the Team CoFH mod suite as my fulcrum, and the tech in the mod is balanced around the concepts and costs found in that mod. This is made significantly easier by having other mods adopt CoFH-dependent recipes that I can flag in the config files, like MFR's. From there, rather than altering other mod's recipes, I look at the recipes themselves and think 'if this were a CoFH machine, would the resource cost of this machine match what it does?'. For example, I have found that in most instances, EnderIO balances on a very similar scale to CoFH, and I very rarely have any concerns on that topic.

Balance is more than just resource investment, it is also tedium. CoFH gates certain tech behind certain machines, but largely, until you start getting into alloying, you don't have any significant time-sinks involved with crafting, outside the refining of the raw materials themselves. Sure, it's got some sub-combines, but unlike -some- mods, don't have consumable components like, say, a hammer with only eighty uses before you have to make a new one that is used in crafting a very common component. Ahem. And you don't have to sit on your keister and wait for a machine to spin up and make things that you are waiting on right now. Ahem.

EnderIO has more alloys, and they are more important in low to mid level construction components, so you've got more potential for a time-lag waiting on an alloy to smelt up for a recipe. However, they are also fairly intuitive alloys, and once you make them, you don't have to do anything else with them. You don't have to wait for a series of machines, each one performing its own time consuming task, for something to be completed. Sufficiently advanced planning can give you enough alloys to get you through your current project.

Which leads us to the next point: progression.

In Thermal Expansion, progression is clearly delineated by the machines needed to produce something. Getting reliable access to Invar, for example, kicks you up a tier in components. Anything requiring Hardened Glass requires the Induction Smelter. Anything that requires molten or liquid product is probably going to need the Magma Crucible. These machines are gates that are needed to pass to get to the next tier. But once those machines are up, you are good to go.

EnderIO has a similar alloy-based tier system, however their tier components also have material requirements which can prove troublesome. Some alloys require ender pearls, some require glowstone. Some require both. There's a second tier of alloys that requires the first tier to craft. But it all is done with the same machine. So instead of needing Machine X to pass the gate (other than the original one for the Alloy Furnace and SAG Mill itself), you need certain components in quantity to advance.

Here's where a lot of people want to tinker, and can become a hotly contested point of contention. Being able to bypass a tier 'gate' can result in 'early access to' something. There are some who would go so far as to call this an 'exploit', and something to swing at with a nerf-bat at the very least. And as you increase the number of mods, the number of possibilities to bypass a 'gate' or 'choke point' increases by (n-1) fold. You can spend literally hundreds of hours trying to exterminate all the 'loopholes and exploits' and never be sure of getting them all. However, you should also take into consideration the Law of Unintended Consequences. Nothing exists on its own in a mod pack, and therefore, a change to prevent one loophole may cause another one elsewhere or may make something completely impossible to make. Multiply by the number of mods, and you begin to see how this might become a stupendous task.

However, neither Thermal Expansion nor EnderIO are particularly difficult to automate once you have achieved a certain tier level. Thermal Dynamics works hand-in-hand with Thermal Expansion to provide relatively early movement of materials with a very clever system of piping and servos/retrievers/filters that can be used to create a quite intelligent sorting system relatively early on. Likewise, EnderIO has the ability to filter and sort their ducts to provide similar functionality, and even has a new device you can hook up to have a more efficient access to everything that is somewhat reminiscent of AE's interface system.

Storage and sorting is another topic I'd like to broach here since I've touched on the subject. Some feel that easy automation and storage handling is a 'crutch', or at least that removing it can make a pack more 'difficult'. I don't happen to agree with that line of topic. It does make things more tedious, but it isn't going to increase the difficulty one iota if I have to spend ten minutes trying to find my whatzit or not. This is where a lot of what I would consider examples of 'bad balance decisions' are made. Access to materials you already have should not be considered a balance point, in my opinion. Mods like Storage Drawers make things more convenient, but not necessarily easier. In fact, I'd call Storage Drawers out as an amazingly good example of balanced storage. Each block of space has limited capacity. So you're going to end up with a wall of drawers. However, automation, once you get around to it, is as easy as a single controller. It is elegant and simple and a storage system that never becomes obsolete. Instead, your later storage solutions are built upon it as a foundation, and the controller's functionality lets you do that. With a single storage bus, you can hook up all of your drawers to your ME Network. So all those hours you spent on your drawer system will never become obsolete or 'wasted'. Instead, it is built upon.

That's another point I'd like to really address, by the way. Obsolescent technology, making things that then become no longer necessary. It really cheezes me off if I absolutely KNOW that something I am making now is going to be rendered completely useless going forward. Which is why I'd like to point out Thermal Dynamics as a prime example of how to do progression 'right'. I start off making a basic servo. That basic servo might eventually be upgraded, but there's ALWAYS uses for even basic servos where throughput isn't a really issue. It will not always be state-of-the-art, but it will always be functional.

JABBA, on the other hand, much as it pains me to admit, is starting to feel like this. A barrel wall looks really impressive, but automating it is a copper-plated pain in the posterior. Either you're going to need to do a Super-Soaryn-Drive of storage buses, or you're going to need to dump the contents into something less aesthetically pleasing just to be able to automate it. In the early game, JABBA Barrels are a great place to store cobble, dirt, and all the other byproducts of your branch-mining for resources. However, as your system grows and becomes more complex, the barrels become less and less useful, and eventually become out-moded. I know the mod author of Storage Drawers did not intend to replace JABBA, and I know he said that his mod can work with JABBA, however in my experience, I would have to actually disagree. Granted, drawers have less ultimate storage capacity, before or after upgrades, than JABBA barrels, however the level of automation permitted more than offsets this. I can't think of any scenario where I would prefer to use a JABBA barrel to a Drawer. The original Barrels came from a mod called Factorization, and were intended to be used with Routers from the same mod, which did pretty much a very similar thing to what the Drawer Controller does: a single point of interface for a bank of storage. The Router also had uses in automation as it could also be hooked up to a bank of machines, so it did have additional functionality, but the pair of Barrels and Router was quite powerful. When JABBA came out, it was just replacing barrels, and the router was left to the wayside, with automation being shouldered entirely by other mods. Granted it can be automated in other ways, using conduits or itemducts to pipe items into the system, but you have no real way to automate the retrieving of things on demand from your barrels once they are stored.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
I think its pretty much impossible to balance a pack with configs alone. And as for your comments about storage drawers, personally I think the controller block seems very overpowered. How does that even work, by magic? I am not a fan of one-block solutions to complicated problems. I would get much more enjoyment out of having to set up a system of pipes or whatever. I prefer mods that take up lots of space, they encourage building, planning and design. The only thing that would prevent me from building a big wall of TE caches (my favorite take on the barrel idea) connected by AE is lag from having so many storage busses in one area.

Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I think its pretty much impossible to balance a pack with configs alone. And as for your comments about storage drawers, personally I think the controller block seems very overpowered. How does that even work, by magic? I am not a fan of one-block solutions to complicated problems. I would get much more enjoyment out of having to set up a system of pipes or whatever. I prefer mods that take up lots of space, they encourage building, planning and design. The only thing that would prevent me from building a big wall of TE caches (my favorite take on the barrel idea) connected by AE is lag from having so many storage busses in one area.
I don't mind magical miniaturization if that's a goal unto itself. A one-block solution is reasonable if you're forced to get there, and if the process of doing so is actually a long term challenge. (Bearing in mind as well the crucial tidbit that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, etc etc)

Problem is that this is really sensible in theory and often a source of consternation in practice. I've seen players scream because AE is gated behind something mid-late-game such as fusion, and they can't work their brains around having to wait that long to get their favorite logistical system. They just want their favorite toy to be available asap.

I just say screw it to those players. A pack that suits me is always going to be a niche assembly that appeals to a narrow range of players.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
The ability to balance a pack with configs alone is dependent on the mods you add to the pack.

That's the thing, it isn't a one block solution.

You still have a whole wall of drawers. You just have a dedicated block for input/output that is easily automated. That's not unreasonable, I think.
I don't mind magical miniaturization if that's a goal unto itself. A one-block solution is reasonable if you're forced to get there, and if the process of doing so is actually a long term challenge. (Bearing in mind as well the crucial tidbit that any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic, etc etc)

Problem is that this is really sensible in theory and often a source of consternation in practice. I've seen players scream because AE is gated behind something mid-late-game such as fusion, and they can't work their brains around having to wait that long to get their favorite logistical system. They just want their favorite toy to be available asap.

I just say screw it to those players. A pack that suits me is always going to be a niche assembly that appeals to a narrow range of players.
Hence why I love Storage Drawers. Throw it in as an intermediary storage solution mod. Early to mid game, it's basically a wall of barrels that you can pipe stuff into and out of from the controller. So the player gets to get into mass storage. Then once he gets past whatever gate that lets him AE, he can use a storage bus instead (or perhaps in addition to) the piping and all that effort isn't wasted.

The problem most players I have talked to have with AE being gated into late game is all the hassle of shifting over to AE as an organizational foundation for all your stuff. Storage Drawers is a nice stepping stone.

I will agree, however, that you have to be true to your pack philosophy, and don't let yourself get distracted from that philosophy.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
The ability to balance a pack with configs alone is dependent on the mods you add to the pack.

That's the thing, it isn't a one block solution.

You still have a whole wall of drawers. You just have a dedicated block for input/output that is easily automated. That's not unreasonable, I think.

Hence why I love Storage Drawers. Throw it in as an intermediary storage solution mod. Early to mid game, it's basically a wall of barrels that you can pipe stuff into and out of from the controller. So the player gets to get into mass storage. Then once he gets past whatever gate that lets him AE, he can use a storage bus instead (or perhaps in addition to) the piping and all that effort isn't wasted.

The problem most players I have talked to have with AE being gated into late game is all the hassle of shifting over to AE as an organizational foundation for all your stuff. Storage Drawers is a nice stepping stone.

I will agree, however, that you have to be true to your pack philosophy, and don't let yourself get distracted from that philosophy.
Sounds neat.

I keep wanting to investigate Storage Drawers in my FTB Infinite Expert world but new storage systems are intimidating :p

asb3pe

Jul 29, 2019

Storage Drawers works wonderfully for early- and mid-game stage. I never had any need for any other inventory management system, but then again I don't mind doing everything manually in early- and mid-game. So I had no automation to speak of once I got past the gate on the AE2 stuff and could transition out of the wall of Storage Drawers. At that point, all I had to do was connect Ender IO Item Conduit between the Storage Drawers Controller and my ME Controller... and then wait for it to finish.

The hardest part of the transition was figuring out what to do with that big empty space where 150 Drawers used to be and a simple little 3-block AE2 system now stood in its place. :) I know some people prefer to keep some (or all) of the drawers and just use an AE2 Storage Bus on the Storage Drawers Controller block. It certainly has its merits, keeping your most-used items in Drawers and letting the rest stay on the AE hard drives.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
As has been said before in this thread, when tweaking a pack you need to choose a theme, establish some basic guidelines and target a certain audience because you cant please everyone. I play to build so in my build oriented pack I try to have as few one block solutions as possible. I also try to avoid having things other than tools become obsolete like an AE system obsoletes your wall of storage drawers. I like to build a space for different mods and it always bugged me that the ticon smeltery room becomes useless so early on. So ive made a few tweaks so that certain alloys and metal blocks can only be crafted with a smeltery so that you still have to use it even into late game. Rarely though, because too much smeltery becomes tedious. (all metal blocks in my pack can only be crafted with molten metal but most have an alternate magma crucible/fluid transposer recipe although you will have to rely on the smeltery method until you reach that level of tech)

Last edited:
Reactions: Celestialphoenix

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Man there is way too many alternatives to AE2 to make its late game gating worth complaining about.
Never underestimate how potent a LP request system paired with Diamond chests/ barrels can be for even late game storage.
Plus there's even that EIO AE lite thingo that's powered by zombie juice.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019
Best thing about AE in my opinion is the crafting terminal with its NEI shift click ? thingy. Not something I would want to play without for very long.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Man there is way too many alternatives to AE2 to make its late game gating worth complaining about.
Never underestimate how potent a LP request system paired with Diamond chests/ barrels can be for even late game storage.
Plus there's even that EIO AE lite thingo that's powered by zombie juice.

But logistics pipes looks really scary. ;)

Best thing about AE in my opinion is the crafting terminal with its NEI shift click ? thingy. Not something I would want to play without for very long.
I believe that's a function of NEI, not AE. It works with vanilla crafting tables and a LOT of modded crafting systems.

I would like to reiterate a question from earlier: is there any way this discussion can be implemented? Discussion is all well and good, but I want it implemented! :p
Perhaps first we should attempt to agree on a set of design principles based on grind, having someone browse through the discussion (maybe @ShneekeyTheLost?) and list out various points people have made, and then we debate each point individually for a bit longer until we have a finalized list. Organization = success.

epidemia78

Jul 29, 2019

I believe that's a function of NEI, not AE. It works with vanilla crafting tables and a LOT of modded crafting systems.

Scary and ugly. As for the crafting terminal, when its linked to all your stuff the ? makes crafting so much easier.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
I like to build a space for different mods and it always bugged me that the ticon smeltery room becomes useless so early on. So ive made a few tweaks so that certain alloys and metal blocks can only be crafted with a smeltery so that you still have to use it even into late game. Rarely though, because too much smeltery becomes tedious.
I agree, as far as tool use goes. However I've gone the other way with keeping it useful- its a brilliant source of building stone.

Trust me- Its not as scary as a full scale AE system.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Does the EIO AE-Lite system work with the Storage Drawer Controller like AE does?

Me, I wouldn't remove JABBA in favor of Storage Drawers for a couple of reasons. First among these is B-Space Barrels. Being able to just teleport things from my tree farm to my input chest is awesome. Instead of having to run AE cable, or a Tesseract, I can just use a couple of barrels (two or three depending on oak or not.)

Second among them is the shear massive storage potential of JABBA barrels. True, the Deep Storage Unit is flat out better, but at the same time that has the potential to be insanely expensive. Filled Tesseract Frame plus four Reinforced Strongboxes? (Depends on Config naturally.) Yeah, that's a lot more expensive than a JABBA barrel. But I can take the JABBA barrel with me when I go mining. I plonk them down at the entry to my mining tunnel and then when I comeback with a full inventory, I just double click and empty all the cobble that I've generated. Same for dirt and gravel and I can go straight back to mining without having to go all the way up the shaft. When I'm done, I just pick them up with dollies, and put them in any sort of bag I want, and I'm off back home.

Storage Drawers doesn't have that kind of capacity. What it can do is automatically compress all my cobble. (Anyone know how much a Compacting Drawer holds?) Yes, it can hold a lot but not nearly everything I generate. True, you could void it. Either into an ME condenser, or dev/null, but I feel that's removing some of the challenge.

Moreover, JABBA is cheaper early on than Storage Drawers. The SD equivalent of JABBA barrels requires gold. JABBA only needs wood.

All that said, Storage Drawers is an epic mod, but it is not the end all storage solution. Neither is AE until you have infinite power. All three mods have a place, and a purpose. AE stores large numbers of single items. Storage Drawers stores large numbers of multiple stackable items. JABBA portably stores immense quantities of one item.