[Poll] Do you prefer TE or IC2? Why?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Which Do You Prefer?

• Total voters

Mero

Jul 29, 2019
I use TE. IC2 as a mod has nothing to offer to me so I see no reason to use a mod that has nothing in it that I want.

Chrono

Jul 29, 2019
TE all the way !!
I wish other mods had those features, even today I am not sure the max eu/mj some machines can take, a problem I never had whit all the TE machines.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumcraft golems are pretty good for automatic faming

They are insanely good at it. An intelligent straw golem and a single perceptive golem in a chunkloaded mixed-plant farm will exceed all expectations.
Superior and intelligent golems are also incredibly good as a sorting system. I'm finally implementing this in a non-test world and the design flexiblity and power the golems have easily exceeds all but the most sophisticated RP2 systems. Once you realize how marker blocks inform golems you'll understand what I mean. A single strong or speedy golem can keep a huge array of machines running, and another golem on the other side can trivially collect their outputs.

The only weakness of golem based systems is that you cannot make customized conditional processing requests. For example, "Make sand so long as this chest has room for sand" is difficult to express to a golem system except as a backup in your sand factories. Buildcraft seems best for this. Of course, because of wooden golems you can easily make a sorting input that is just a room that is not normally visible and let golems scoop things up off the ground.

They even work well with item tesseracts! See Direwolf20's S4 SMP episodes about making seed oil. That combination is doing something that would be extremely difficult to do precisely in any other fashion.

DoctorOr

Jul 29, 2019
Not wishing to change the thread subject but I have 30 relays all in the same chunk (or almost in the same chunk) all running periodically and suffer from no FPS or lag because of these...

Relay lag is server lag, caused by computations.

Filter/Transposer/Timer lag is block update lag - Client side, FPS affecting.

Reactions: Lambert2191

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really understand why relays cause that lag though. They seem to be rather simple blocks.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
TE all the way !!
I wish other mods had those features, even today I am not sure the max eu/mj some machines can take, a problem I never had whit all the TE machines.
MJ machines have no max intake. Just a max storage. The whole max EU thing I reckon is there for realism. try hooking your computer up to a lightning rod and see how well it does when it receives the power from a lightning strike. Still, the EU intake is VERY easy to handle as there are multiple ways to get around it (transformers, the AESU and LESU. Transformers can input a load more than they output, the AESU can have it's output tweaked by right clicking it and the LESU's output increases by increasing it's storage.) You can tell how easy it is to work your way around EU management as I can easily handle it yet still can't figure out how redstone works anything past the basics.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
they cause chunk updates aparently

This. Basically as far as I understood it, due to their built-in autopull functionality, they do the code equivalent of screaming "I'm doing something! I'm doing something! I'm doing something!" over and over, even if there are no items in the inventory to pull. And everytime it claims to be doing something, the server must calculate what it is doing, even if the result is "nothing".[DOUBLEPOST=1361914864][/DOUBLEPOST]
MJ machines have no max intake. Just a max storage. The whole max EU thing I reckon is there for realism. try hooking your computer up to a lightning rod and see how well it does when it receives the power from a lightning strike. Still, the EU intake is VERY easy to handle as there are multiple ways to get around it (transformers, the AESU and LESU. Transformers can input a load more than they output, the AESU can have it's output tweaked by right clicking it and the LESU's output increases by increasing it's storage.) You can tell how easy it is to work your way around EU management as I can easily handle it yet still can't figure out how redstone works anything past the basics.

MJ based devices do in fact have a maximum amount of MJ they can accept each tick. This is why using a combustion engine directly attached to a refinery will yield you less refining speed than using the same combustion engine attached via conductive pipes or conduits. The engine bursts out more MJ with each piston stroke than the refinery can accept in the single tick the burst lasts. The pipes/conduits buffer the engine output and allow the refinery to spend multiple ticks ingesting it.

Same thing with pumps, by the way... a stirling engine can drive two pumps attached via pipes/conduits to both run faster than a single pump directly powered by the same stirling engine.

The confusion surrounding this issue is compounded by the fact that this number tends to be different (generally higher) than the actual maximum MJ/t consumption of the machine.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
MJ based devices do in fact have a maximum amount of MJ they can accept each tick. This is why using a combustion engine directly attached to a refinery will yield you less refining speed than using the same combustion engine attached via conductive pipes or conduits. The engine bursts out more MJ with each piston stroke than the refinery can accept in the single tick the burst lasts. The pipes/conduits buffer the engine output and allow the refinery to spend multiple ticks ingesting it.

Same thing with pumps, by the way... a stirling engine can drive two pumps attached via pipes/conduits to both run faster than a single pump directly powered by the same stirling engine.

The confusion surrounding this issue is compounded by the fact that this number tends to be different (generally higher) than the actual maximum MJ/t consumption of the machine.
I was thinking more on the exploding side. But it's useful to point out. As far as I know only buildcraft conductive pipes can explode from too much MJ.

Grydian2

Jul 29, 2019
GB
meettomy.site
Forestry adds so many different fuels for MJ production that TE becomes the best early option. But I love the mining drill so i use both extensively.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry adds so many different fuels for MJ production that TE becomes the best early option. But I love the mining drill so i use both extensively.
No love for Railcraft? Coke ovens are a godsend at the start and you can collect the materials for one before you even make a house. With a semifluid generator they can even provide you with an early start on EU production too (1 coal = essentially 4 coal and 1.5k EU for free as coal coke burns 4x longer than coal and creates half a bottle/bucket/ect of creosote oil (which produces 3k EU in a semifluid generator.)) Just power the TE machines with stirling engines and you'll be happy for a long time.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Complete List of Things I Don't Like About Thermal Expansion
1. Tesseracts should be more costly to craft.
2. Power Tesseracts' energy inefficiency make them mostly used for space considerations.

Complete List of Things I Do Like About Industrial Craft
1. Scaffolds.
2. Hazmat Suit.

Archina

Jul 29, 2019
Complete List of Things I Don't Like About Thermal Expansion
1. Tesseracts should be more costly to craft.
Really? They already require diamonds and ender pearls to make. Both of which aren't exactly everywhere in the world. By the time you can automate these two things, you're pretty far in anyway.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Really? They already require diamonds and ender pearls to make. Both of which aren't exactly everywhere in the world. By the time you can automate these two things, you're pretty far in anyway.

Even in DW20 they require a bunch of iron unless you have an enderman soul shard. DW20 puts a huge demand on your iron supply as you ascend to higher tiers of tech.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
I'm thinking more along the lines of replacing that Diamond with a fully-charged Redstone Energy Cell. I've talked about this before, mostly as an alternative to that 25% MJ diet, but the more I think about it the more I think it's a good cost even if it was put on top of that inefficiency. We are talking about a one-block replacement for miles of pipe/tube/conduit or tons of Portal + Minecart shenanigans, after all.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
You could Gregtech the energy tesseract

REC = Redstone Energy Cell

REC - Data Orb - REC
Data Orb - Nether Star - Data Orb
REC - Data Orb - REC

*runs and hides*

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I dunno why they need to be more costly. 25% power cost is pretty huge until you have pretty massive (multi-boiler) power generation.
I mean, compare that to the cost of chained redstone energy cells (which I still use in many cases over tesseracts). Power tesseracts are really great for bridging to places where small, sustained costs exist (like say, an external pre-extrabees bee building or a remote mining station) or for helping provide a bootstrap while you establish more bases, but for big draws like quarries they're really sub-optimal. That power loss is real and it's ugly and it's proportional to the demand on the other side.

If you want to nerf something, why not nerf liquid tesseracts? These have 0 power loss and are often more useful for carting power around. But then, at the end of the day Ender Chests Shouldn't Be Allowed To Win™.

Dravarden

Jul 29, 2019
TE, I'm even removing IC from ulimate when I get it, MPS is way better, and I will only have MJ for machines (besides bluetricity)