About nuclear reactor cooling.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Graablarbl

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to cool down your reactor, without spending 700 stacks of tin on coolant cells, that will run out in half an hour?

Graablarbl

Jul 29, 2019
As far as I know, there's lots of different vents, which one? No particular amount, I just want some more eu without wasting all my tin.[DOUBLEPOST=1361607494][/DOUBLEPOST]Also, I use Direwolf20 pack

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it depends on what you need, what setup you have, what setup you want, what you're using, Mark I, II, III, IV, V...

What you could do is waste all your redstone/lapis luizi. That's a condensator or whatever. Go try things out on the simulator, it works wonders for nuclearists. And gregtech's computercube is useful for a more accurate depiction on what's going to happen.

Graablarbl

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it depends on what you need, what setup you have, what setup you want, what you're using, Mark I, II, III, IV, V...

What you could do is waste all your redstone/lapis luizi. That's a condensator or whatever. Go try things out on the simulator, it works wonders for nuclearists. And gregtech's computercube is useful for a more accurate depiction on what's going to happen.
I have no idea what you're talking about, I use Direwolf20 so I don't know a lot about gregtech.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
I have no idea what you're talking about, I use Direwolf20 so I don't know a lot about gregtech.

Read this thread: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/i...46&s=acf30a939882fcee010dad2e16f10258dfbcb8e2

After that, browse through this forum a bit for any more information that you need: http://forum.industrial-craft.net/i...60&s=4c4717c572337b0e8bbdcf7d53f8857940fd0b30

If you still have questions, you would likely be best served by posting in that forum as it is going to be IC2 specific, and thus better focused on nuclear reactors.

EDiT:

And AFTER you have a good understanding of reactors from the above two things, review what MeinerEiner posted below me to see the best reactors to date. Good luck!

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
If that list is overwhelming the first reactor you make should be:
Reactor 3:
  • Link: Mark I EB
  • Eu/tick: 100
  • Efficiency: 3,33
  • Cost: Iron 98, Copper 186, Tin 25, Gold 22
  • Running costs: 0 UU
  • Credits: Zombie
Compared to many designs in the list this one is actually best in a lot of categories and it is only a single chamber, so it is a good starter reactor.

Most of the bigger reactor designs actually lose to this design -- example reactor 11 is 420 EU/t, using 28 uranium a cycle, and since it is quad cells some copper each cycle. You can get 400 EU/t by building four of reactor 3 above using 24 uranium a cycle and no copper cost, so it makes about the same power and overall is more efficient. My rule of thumb is to look any design in the planner and check the resources needed tab, if the overall efficiency is below 3.33 of reactor 3 above then you are probably better off using more reactor 3s.

If you like nuclear then your second reactor should be a breeder to stretch your uranium fuel to the max (make 1 ingot into 8 isotopes -> breed cycle -> get 8 uranium cells):
Breeder 1:
  • Link: Cheapbreeder
  • Heating configuration (with timing): Autopilot
    smile.png
  • Cells charged per uranium cell: 28
  • Efficiency: 1
  • Eu/tick: 5
  • Cost: Iron 96, Copper 403, Tin 47, Gold 2
  • Credits: stretchydeath
Eventually upgrade it into ->
Breeder 2:
  • Link: Efficient breeder
  • Heating configuration (with timing): Autopilot
    smile.png
  • Cells charged per uranium cell: 84
  • Efficiency: 1
  • Eu/tick: 5
  • Cost: Iron 181, Copper 1196, Tin 93, Gold 2
  • Credits: Rick

Graablarbl

Jul 29, 2019
But the point I'm missing is how people get that much copper and tin, and then spend it on something that lasts for an hour.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
But the point I'm missing is how people get that much copper and tin, and then spend it on something that lasts for an hour.

I currently have about eight stacks of copper and tin ore just waiting to be processed. After you set up a quarry or four, copper and tin, so long as you quarry between 60 to 30 (as well as elsewhere, go for those diamonds!) is not all that expensive.

Damoklesz

Jul 29, 2019
I currently have about eight stacks of copper and tin ore just waiting to be processed. After you set up a quarry or four, copper and tin, so long as you quarry between 60 to 30 (as well as elsewhere, go for those diamonds!) is not all that expensive.
He thinks that all cooling vents and stuff are used up. They are not.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
Tell me than, what can I do to cool it down permanently?
And thanks, for the replies, Guswut.
As I said earlier vents are used to air cool reactors. In the current model they are about the best you can do.

If you don't have java enabled to view the reactors in the list of good reactors above here is a little walkthrough for the best bang for the buck reactor:
Search for heat in NEI.

Make 7 overclocked heat vents
Make 3 Component heat vents
Make 2 component heat exchangers

Arrange them exactly like this:
This is reactor 3 from above
iXUcjc3.png

Do not improvise, this design depends on the heat flow, which is calculated in game top to bottom. Building it any other way will will burn up components. If you build it as is it will run stable forever (just replace the uranium cells each cycle).

You now have 100 EU/t for the next few hours, net 20m EU.

To understand what the parts do --
Heat is generated at the rods and if it has nowhere to go it goes to the core.
overclocked heat vents move a lot of heat. They pull up to 36 heat from the core and vent 20. Since they interact with the core heat they do not need to be near the rods to cool the reactor (each one pulls at least 20 heat and vents 20 heat - 140 total).

heat exchangers move heat between any components they touch - this helps get all 176 heat from the uranium to the overclocked heat vents (which can pull 16 more heat than they dissipate) and finally to vents that have cooling capacity.

Component heat vents will vent 4 heat for each component they touch (each one here touches 3, so vents 12 each - 36 total).

So uranium in that arrangement generates 176 heat, and the overclocked heat vents pull all that heat out and then vent most of it. The leftover is vented by the component heat vents. The overall arrangement of vents and heat exchangers vents out all 176 heat. Since the heat and cooling are equal the reactor is stable (mark 1) and runs at 0 heat.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019
Tell me than, what can I do to cool it down permanently?
And thanks, for the replies, Guswut.

No worries, mate. I don't know enough about nuclear cooling to answer that question, but Peppe has got a good deal of data on it right there. If that doesn't help, I'd really suggest reviewing the links I posted. When I start nuclear stuff, that is what I am going to do, too!

Graablarbl

Jul 29, 2019
As I said earlier vents are used to air cool reactors. In the current model they are about the best you can do.

If you don't have java enabled to view the reactors in the list of good reactors above here is a little walkthrough for the best bang for the buck reactor:
Search for heat in NEI.

Make 7 overclocked heat vents
Make 3 Component heat vents
Make 2 component heat exchangers

Arrange them exactly like this:
This is reactor 3 from above
iXUcjc3.png

Do not improvise, this design depends on the heat flow, which is calculated in game top to bottom. Building it any other way will will burn up components. If you build it as is it will run stable forever (just replace the uranium cells each cycle).

You now have 100 EU/t for the next few hours, net 20m EU.

To understand what the parts do --
Heat is generated at the rods and if it has nowhere to go it goes to the core.
overclocked heat vents move a lot of heat. They pull up to 36 heat from the core and vent 20. Since they interact with the core heat they do not need to be near the rods to cool the reactor (each one pulls at least 20 heat and vents 20 heat - 140 total).

heat exchangers move heat between any components they touch - this helps get all 176 heat from the uranium to the overclocked heat vents (which can pull 16 more heat than they dissipate) and finally to vents that have cooling capacity.

Component heat vents will vent 4 heat for each component they touch (each one here touches 3, so vents 12 each - 36 total).

So uranium in that arrangement generates 176 heat, and the overclocked heat vents pull all that heat out and then vent most of it. The leftover is vented by the component heat vents. The overall arrangement of vents and heat exchangers vents out all 176 heat. Since the heat and cooling are equal the reactor is stable (mark 1) and runs at 0 heat.
But I just want a lot of permanent EU, which is hard to get with the compact solars mod.

Peppe

Jul 29, 2019
But I just want a lot of permanent EU, which is hard to get with the compact solars mod.
Uranium is consumed in any design, so if you want to have permanent EU from reactors you need to automate removal of depleted cells and creation + insertion of uranium cells.

It is not too difficult using autocrafting tables and redpower filters.

If you are short on uranium learn about breeders to get 8x the cells out of your uranium ore.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

If you want it easy to get, enable creative mode and spawn in a quantum generator, and set it to output however you want. It's entirely free energy.

If you want to work for your EU, then slowly build up your solar panels, or go with geothermal.