In your next Direwolf20 build, will you bother with IC2?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, for a few reasons.
- Induction Furnaces. Smelting things at the speed of really fast is amazing, especially for things I don't want to bother throwing into my TE production system.
- Charge Pads. Just stand on one and all of your MPS gear is fully charged again, and a lot faster than a Quantum suit could ever recharge as well.
- Solar energy. Can't complain about free energy, although I doubt I'll bother going further than a LV array. I have absolutely no need for more at the moment.
- Extractor/Compressor. Most of the stuff they make is exclusive to IC2, but they're useful nonetheless.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Nope. We're actually looking into ripping out IC2 completely and shoving UE in its place. IC2's entire system is just pants-on-head, UE actually made an attempt.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, for a few reasons.
- Charge Pads. Just stand on one and all of your MPS gear is fully charged again, and a lot faster than a Quantum suit could ever recharge as well.

Huh. I experimented with charge pads and MPS and it didn't seem to work...

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
I've watched some of your videos so I'm curious where the speed actually matters to you? Like when you're in a workshop craftin' something up? Because short of working over coal or refined iron I realized I actually seldom have this need, except for the rare batch of electrum.

Well I tried at first to use powered furnaces in my processing room, but they became a bottleneck, so with no speed upgrade options I plopped down 2 induction furnaces that are about 5 times as fast and each can process 2 lines of dust at the same time.

And for tools the main thing I mean is the diamond drill and the jetpack. Diamond drill is pretty easy to get, and you never have to remake it. With a charge pad it's very easy to recharge as well. I really love the thaum tools though. They're just a little more tedious. Once I get an automated xp farm I'm sure I'll also set up some kind of auto book enchant system if I can get turtles to enchant books. At that point the thaum stuff will be a lot more useful to me personally.

Edit: Also lately I've been cooking up a lot of stone with the induction furnaces, but I think soon I'm just going to say screw it and hook up an auto stone manufacturing using the extruder. So much easier especially when you need like 300 stacks of stone. lol

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Well I tried at first to use powered furnaces in my processing room, but they became a bottleneck, so with no speed upgrade options I plopped down 2 induction furnaces that are about 5 times as fast and each can process 2 lines of dust at the same time.

Man does everyone have dense ores but me? Sigh.

Anyways I switched to using an Infernal Furnace with 3x bellows for the smelting portion of my system. This is an amazing setup: fairly fast, HUGE multi-type buffer, clusters give >2x returns, and most importantly you get to keep the smelting experience. I cannot see why anyone wouldn't go for that setup if they could.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Anyways I switched to using an Infernal Furnace with 3x bellows for the smelting portion of my system. This is an amazing setup: fairly fast, HUGE multi-type buffer, clusters give >2x returns, and most importantly you get to keep the smelting experience. I cannot see why anyone wouldn't go for that setup if they could.
Definitely use it for clusters. Anything the Bores return as ore blocks, though, gets sent through the Thermal Expansion gauntlet.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019

We didn't have dense ores turned on until last weekend (btw never turn it on if you still get giddy when you see diamonds - after you turn it on diamonds are like 'who cares' =/ ). I think the problem was I had been saving up ore, and dumped like 20 stacks in my ender chest at once. lol

But really I try and use all the mods, cause I like to have a bit of all the different flavors in there. Keeps it interesting! Might have to use the infernal furnace one of these days.

Guswut

Jul 29, 2019

I don't, and honestly now, I wouldn't want the bloody thing even if I had it. Instability is bothersome, and I don't want to have to make twenty ages to make one that gives me an age where it isn't too bad, only to find out later I've got black decay (boo!).

A simple extreme hills and forest biome (emerald and bauxite, yay GregTech) works for quarrying for me I've found. Don't let those dense ore people rain on your quarry!

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
I'm the same as Alex. I'm a sucker for the Scrapbox lottery, and I prefer to setup a system to process my junk, instead of just voiding it. More creative that way.

TE is really the mod that's pushing IC2 out the way (and also partially replacing part of BC), due to offering better MJ power management. I know that BC's power system is supposed to be "bad" and that you should upgrade your pipes with gate control systems, but that just feels icky to me, adding more micromanagement. I'd rather pay more resources initially and have a foolproof system that I don't have to worry about.

Without TE, many people would still be on IC2 power, and electrical engines for their MJ needs.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
I'm the same as Alex. I'm a sucker for the Scrapbox lottery, and I prefer to setup a system to process my junk, instead of just voiding it. More creative that way.

Interesting. I mean with forestry you have an infinite demand for dirt and possibly sand, and the discussion on using Lava as a battery means that cobble is easily converted into lava for storage (not to mention obsidian manufacture).

I haven't played with the TE induction smelter though. I sort of wonder if it'd be worth routing my gold through that system and keep sand around. I have an infinite hunger for sand because of thaumcraft...

Without TE, many people would still be on IC2 power, and electrical engines for their MJ needs.

Yeah.[DOUBLEPOST=1361477821][/DOUBLEPOST]
Definitely use it for clusters. Anything the Bores return as ore blocks, though, gets sent through the Thermal Expansion gauntlet.

I pulverize ores in one of 2 pulverizers (which has been plenty for any quarry output) then send everything to a master infernal furnace line for processing. Right now we just sort of laugh at the wisps, but I've got a plan to contain and recapture those as well. My wife and friends are working on breeding thaumic bees, which will mean that we actually have a lot of impetus to saturate the environment with flux to get free essentia.

I love recapturing stuff necessary for Alumentum because alumentum is such a neat object.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played with the TE induction smelter though. I sort of wonder if it'd be worth routing my gold through that system and keep sand around. I have an infinite hunger for sand because of thaumcraft...

Same here except copper lol although it only gets you an extra 5% bars due to rich slag correct? I haven't thought about it long enough to get past that point when I could just fire up another quarry run if I really need more copper that bad.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Same here except copper lol although it only gets you an extra 5% bars due to rich slag correct? I haven't thought about it long enough to get past that point when I could just fire up another quarry run if I really need more copper that bad.

My understanding is it still doubles your ore, but you have a 10% with gold to get rich slag which can triple ores in the machine when applied with the right source metal. So you can spike ore production when you need to.

TBH I care less about experience capture on smelting now that I have a semi-automatic experience farm.

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Never seen a need for the induction smelter beyond having to make elementium. Just seems to add extra processes for a chance at rich slag for an extra bit of ore. I prefer my scrap box lottery for bonus ores.

jnads

Jul 29, 2019
GregTech-less IC2 is still good for UU Matter and Solar Power (argue it or not, Compact Solars is still an IC2 add-on).

A couple of MV Compact Solars and a fully-scrapped Mass Fabricator can give Equivalent Exchange a run for its money.

Also, before they nerfed it, the Quantum Helmet was awesome for underwater air, automatic light, and feeding you. Great for questing.

clippjam

Jul 29, 2019
I think that the modular power tools armour is actualy worse than a gravi/Q suit armour, mostly because of that fact that the MPT armor actualy seems to cost more (most of making the Q suit involves waiting for your mass fab to make UU, all that requires is power and time really) and because of the whole weight mechanic on the power tools armour makes you naturally move slower when you have it upgraded (I think most of the weight comes from the batteries, but even with them on a low upgrade level you move slow) and having to spring to use the movement boost is a pain, especialy in caves and small spaces. (Its also annoying jumping high by default with the leg upgrades). If it was not for the weight mechanic, and a way to have more control over when you use upgrades, I would like the modular armour more, but otherwise the Q suit is probably better. But while IC2 is loooong overdue an update that makes it really worth dedicating too, I think that dire will still use it, mostly because it's one of his favourate mods.

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
Mindcrack with Gregtech completely turned me off of IC2 for a LONG time. TE's new goodies replaced the need and setting up 3-4 sets of ore processors in line removes the "need for speed" complaint many people have. Right now IC2 has become an issue again solely because of the difficulty in generating enough power to make uu-matter. and the only reason I want uu-matter is to make iridium and get Q-Armor. That's it! I have no other need of IC2 beyond the armor. I'm even enjoying Thaumcraft and am looking to start bees soon.

So in short, I'll be looking into the modular power suits because the frailty, confusion, and over complication (IMHO) of IC2 and its add ons have turned me off other than cool armor gadgets. TBH I don't even use the tools now that I have a Soul Shard EXP farm, I can keep my jewel picks forever and with quarries going, I never mine by hand anymore anyways.