How would you power a large player-run city without the use of Big Reactors and Tesseracts?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
You could build a super insanely huge HTGR from ReactorCraft and make cubic light years of hot CO2 gas. While you could just pipe that around the city it would be cooler to pack it into bedrockium drums and put those into DSU's. When you log into the server you get 1 filled DSU of bedrockium drums of hot CO2 gas. If used wisely, you should be able to squeeze out around 2x10^23 RF from that much hot CO2 gas provided you run your turbine on ammonia. Each citizen of Almost-Infinite-Energy-Ville will need to make multiple turbines since it would take 88,000,000 years for a single turbine/generator to get through one DSU at a pathetic 3,600,000 RF/t.

EDIT: If that wasn't ambitious enough you could move the filled DSUs around with trains in case folks start running out and needing another DSU.

Last edited:

DZCreeper

Jul 29, 2019
Multiple generation points using various resources that start on demand. Energy storage node at each major intersection with secondary and tertiary links to reroute power if lines are damaged. Rate limiting on each individual branch offshoot. Central rate limiting per major intersection if reserves start running low.

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
It strongly depends on your setup, but theoretical max is somwhere between 120 and 250 GW.
Is that based off of how many neutrons it would take to melt the most efficiently cooled neutron absorber. I got an extra ~50GW from adding plasma injectors, but seemed to reach a limit with the absorbers.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Is that based off of how many neutrons it would take to melt the most efficiently cooled neutron absorber. I got an extra ~50GW from adding plasma injectors, but seemed to reach a limit with the absorbers.
I did not take absorber melting into account, and yes, that does appear to impose a premature practical limit.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I did not take absorber melting into account, and yes, that does appear to impose a premature practical limit.
Would it be possible to circumvent the absorber-melting problem by using more boilers than the typical setup uses?

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
Unless you allow the neutrons to escape it's always the absorber that is in line with the tangent to the tokamak in the plasma flow direction. If neutrons were allowed to escape there, theoretically total output could much much higher than my ~60GW bonus as you could dump in plasma until all the neutron absorbers got to 1000˚C. hmmm. could there be a way to also extract heat from the top of the absorbers? Steam boilers and heat exchangers require coolant input on the bottom, and cooling fins would waste the heat.. Not sure if there is a way to implement that without breaking other reactors.
Would it be possible to circumvent the absorber-melting problem by using more boilers than the typical setup uses?
The typical setup already requires the max amount of boilers (1 on front and 1 on back of absorber) to maintain stability IIRC.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Unless you allow the neutrons to escape it's always the absorber that is in line with the tangent to the tokamak in the plasma flow direction. If neutrons were allowed to escape there, theoretically total output could much much higher than my ~60GW bonus as you could dump in plasma until all the neutron absorbers got to 1000˚C. hmmm. could there be a way to also extract heat from the top of the absorbers? Steam boilers and heat exchangers require coolant input on the bottom, and cooling fins would waste the heat.. Not sure if there is a way to implement that without breaking other reactors..
Neutrons spawn at all points in the reactor, not just tangent to the injectors.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I would have each district of the metropolis powered by its own unique system. The ways to generate RF are near countless now, so it would depend greatly on what said district was being used for, and thus what extra output could be recycled into RF.

Someone above mentioned automating potion brewing to feed a 64x Potion Generator, but its actually much simpler than that (unless you're in it for the engineering project, in which case, carry on). A Witch Spawner on a block of Cursed Earth roughly 5 blocks above the killing floor should provide a great number of potions. This works on the premise that a witch spawns in the air, falls to the floor, takes a bit of damage, pulls out the potion to heal herself, then gets the axe (adding said potion to your drops). This scales easily by adding more spawners, although spacing them to allow the most efficient use of spawning area would take a bit of play - regardless, it would still function, even if at non-optimal rates.

wolfpax181

Jul 29, 2019
You also could feed the other witch drops into reactant dynamos (with small amounts of processing) to further bolster your power gen.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

MegaCrazyJones

Jul 29, 2019
I have powered large projects with tree farms converting saplings to biofuel then running biogens. Then you could take the remaining logs to convert to charcoal and either feed generators directly or get all steamy and use railcraft boilers. It is completely self sufficient using planters and harvesters.
I can send you my crash landing that uses this if you like.
Jones

CapJackH

Jul 29, 2019
Neutrons spawn at all points in the reactor, not just tangent to the injectors.
Yeah, but if you use more than 4 injectors in a set up, they have to be tangent to one of the stock ones:p So most fusion events happen inside the injectors and the absorbers opposite them heat up the fastest.

OreCruncher

Mod Developer
May 22, 2013
My Chair
I have powered large projects with tree farms converting saplings to biofuel then running biogens. Then you could take the remaining logs to convert to charcoal and either feed generators directly or get all steamy and use railcraft boilers. It is completely self sufficient using planters and harvesters.

I do the same, but use a Forestry Blue Mahoe that has been bred for the purpose and use the Forestry farms/fermenter/still to convert to ethanol.

The other thing I like doing is setting up an Alviary system to get simmering combs and the like for the phosphor, process that into lava and feed lava generators. It's more fun when you use frame housings and a Factorization/Router Reborn router to keep those things stocked.

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Fusion reactor is my default answer but that seems a bit...simple. I have something far, far more interesting and also totally, completely broken in mind. It relies on my new favourite magic mod: ChromatiCraft.

How do? Well, you know how charcoal is a hard fuel to get in gigantic quantities without a tree farm of hilarious proportions? Screw that. Screw every bit of that noise. First thing you need is a Pressure Pipes-based water generation system, literally nothing else will suffice. Feed that water into an AgriCraft irrigation system working a far smaller than normal tree farm. Place a 256x tile accelerator on every sprinkler you use. Now watch as the trees grow with unbelievable alacrity. But, no, I AM NOT DONE. Nowhere close. Now, you need a beastly tree-killer to harvest this level of wood. What do you need? Oh, my dear, sweet summer child, you need MFR! A harvester with just enough range to cover the entire tree farm. Place at least one 256x tile accelerator on that bad boy, too. Now, it should harvest with incredible speed. To keep up (without shitting yourself insane), I suggest pneumatic item pumps (from RotaryCraft) running on at least 4 steam engines, allowing you to transport a stack a tick. These can't be accelerated, but that's fine. After that, you feed the wood into a bank of Mekanism elite smelting factories that are also accelerated by, at minimum, a 16-32x accelerator. Feed that shit into a bank of tile accelerated 64x furnace generators hooked up by RF transfer cables from ElectriCraft into an ElC RF battery. WATCH THAT BASTARD FILL IN LITERAL SECONDS AND BE AMAZED.

That's how a MAN generates power!

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Fusion reactor is my default answer but that seems a bit...simple. I have something far, far more interesting and also totally, completely broken in mind. It relies on my new favourite magic mod: ChromatiCraft.

How do? Well, you know how charcoal is a hard fuel to get in gigantic quantities without a tree farm of hilarious proportions? Screw that. Screw every bit of that noise. First thing you need is a Pressure Pipes-based water generation system, literally nothing else will suffice. Feed that water into an AgriCraft irrigation system working a far smaller than normal tree farm. Place a 256x tile accelerator on every sprinkler you use. Now watch as the trees grow with unbelievable alacrity. But, no, I AM NOT DONE. Nowhere close. Now, you need a beastly tree-killer to harvest this level of wood. What do you need? Oh, my dear, sweet summer child, you need MFR! A harvester with just enough range to cover the entire tree farm. Place at least one 256x tile accelerator on that bad boy, too. Now, it should harvest with incredible speed. To keep up (without shitting yourself insane), I suggest pneumatic item pumps (from RotaryCraft) running on at least 4 steam engines, allowing you to transport a stack a tick. These can't be accelerated, but that's fine. After that, you feed the wood into a bank of Mekanism elite smelting factories that are also accelerated by, at minimum, a 16-32x accelerator. Feed that shit into a bank of tile accelerated 64x furnace generators hooked up by RF transfer cables from ElectriCraft into an ElC RF battery. WATCH THAT BASTARD FILL IN LITERAL SECONDS AND BE AMAZED.

That's how a MAN generates power!
That's... literally genius. If you want, you could also send the excess saplings (of which there will be an obscene amount) into accelerated Forestry fermenters and stills or MFR bioreactors and generate tons of biofuel.

AdmiralKirov

Jul 29, 2019
Or the cryofluxducts. Those looking amazing. :p
They would be perfect for building the backbones of the power network, long 3x4-tall corridors running under the city' s main streets, gloomy and filled with wires/pipes and the massive cryo stabilized flux ducts from which sometimes a branch circuit gets fed and rise to the surface to supply a power line, like the tower-substation you see in some countries :D