How would you power a large player-run city without the use of Big Reactors and Tesseracts?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

aluminium

Jul 29, 2019
So, let's say you're the mayor of a towny-plugin player-run metropolis on some server and you've decided to build a power plant to power the entire city so people don't have to use their own power. The population is growing fast, so you need to make a power plant that produces more energy than what the city needs ahead of time.

No problem! Just build a humongous reactor and have a tesseract hooked up so you don't have to run a wire...but oh no! The big reactors and mod and the tesseracts just... vaporized away from the game for some impossible reason! You'll need an alternative to producing the energy and transporting the energy, something that isn't creative-only.

Would it be a big geothermal plant? A large solar field with a good energy storage system for the nights? Would you run a glass-fiber cable around the city with regulation systems (so they don't blow up)? An ender energy conduit?

Share your ideas and how you would make them!

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Extra Utilities. I don't know what I would use, but it would be something from Extra Utilities. :p
64x of all of these:
A nether star generator would be amazing, if challenging to automate.
Pink Generators are probably super easy to automate.
The lava and high temperature generators seem like they could be very rewarding.
The ender pearl generator could be quite good with an adequate mob farm.
The tnt generator would be just kinda funny... Newcomer: "What is that continuous explosion noise?" Current Resident: "Oh, that's the generator room. I advise you to stay away from it."
I can't remember any of the others (except the furnace gen and survivalist gen) off the top of my head...

Reactions: Dylz101

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Never got the idea of player run towns providing power. What hypothetical pack are we speaking of here? What mods do we have at our disposal? Do you have an economy? If so what is it based on.
I would use Immersive Engineering cables to distribute power and maybe generators. Failing that I would build a beefy syngas generator from Advanced Generators fed by a sizeable tree farm.
I would then limit the power by positioning a leadstone power cell or a IE lv capacitor just close enough to their boundary that they can hook up a cable bit not remove the cell.
I would leave an option for industrial and heavy industrial zoned plots. These plots have hardend or greater level cells and will incurr some upkeep cost.
If it was possible id use some computer mod to record their RF hours and charge them accordingly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Never got the idea of player run towns providing power. What hypothetical pack are we speaking of here? What mods do we have at our disposal? Do you have an economy? If so what is it based on.
I would use Immersive Engineering cables to distribute power and maybe generators. Failing that I would build a beefy syngas generator from Advanced Generators fed by a sizeable tree farm.
I would then limit the power by positioning a leadstone power cell or a IE lv capacitor just close enough to their boundary that they can hook up a cable bit not remove the cell.
I would leave an option for industrial and heavy industrial zoned plots. These plots have hardend or greater level cells and will incurr some upkeep cost.
If it was possible id use some computer mod to record their RF hours and charge them accordingly.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
My guess is that this is a hypothetical question; so there are no limits. :)

A thing I forgot to mention in my first post: @McJty's Endergenic Generator. It's pretty neat, and you can use it to generate power on the scale of Big Reactors - it takes some thinking, though. :)
Also, McJty's "Deep Resonance" mod. AFAIK, it's still indev, but it looks like it'll be pretty cool. McJty can give more info on that.
For power transfer: Large amounts of Thermal Dynamics Cryogenic Fluxducts, or whatever they are called. There'd be a factory in the center of the city dedicated just to that. :p

Brian Cherrick

Jul 5, 2013
I've been looking at a potion generator. A lil bit challenging automating it all. But splash potions of harming output a crap ton of Rf. Downside is determining whether it can keep up, and if your output is higher than intake

ChemE

Jul 29, 2019
2^22 (4,194,304) watts converts to 8,065 RF/t using a rotational dynamo. 250GW then converts to 480,000,000 RF/t.

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
Scratch what I said before... I'm just going to use thousands of unupgraded quantum entropy accelerators from Quantum Flux hooked up to a single XU cobblegen to power everything.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Let's see... the first thing that springs to my mind would be to go off the beaten path and set up a gigantic Cursed Earth-fed tier 6 blood altar in the center of town (with a bajillion runes of sacrifice, of course), and pass out lava crystals like candies. Either that or I'd install Serenades of the Nether in everyone's basements for free lava. Has the upside that Blood Magic works across dimensions natively, although I'm not sure how much power it can actually produce.

Alternatively, if RotaryCraft is in the pack, I'd set up some renewable farms for the ingredients needed for RoC jet fuel, and pipe that to everyones' bases. However, that's not nearly as attractive as the Blood Magic route if there's no tesseracts or similar and people live far away or in different dimensions.

Part of me kind of wants to set up a bunch of ReactorCraft fusion plasma injector multiblocks somewhere near town, and beam power into distant areas by way of transcontinental death rays. Recipients (other cities, I guess; or players with *really* high power requirements) could set up tokamaks away from the main city, and capture and concentrate the death ray there, so it starts fusioning and producing neutrons, which they could turn into steam. To do that, I'd probably have to have a self-sustaining fusion reactor in the main city. Power within the main city would be distributed either as steam, so each player can have their own turbine, or via ElectriCraft.

Hmm... If Tesseracts are prohibited, I'm guessing EnderIO's dimensional transcievers probably would be as well. But what about ChromatiCraft's World Rifts? They can transfer items, fluids, redstone, RF, RoC shaft power, and probably ElectriCraft shaft power over any distance (or across dimensions) as well. However, they're not used much (to my knowledge) because ChromatiCraft is hard...

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Well. Big reactors is out because non renewable fuel.
ExU is out because silly.
So I'd would go with a Thaumcraft run tree farm, feeding the wood into infernal furnaces. The output into Railcraft boilers. Which drive big turbines.
For distribution I'd add immersive engineering for its cables. Otherwise the cyro cooled thermal dynamics cables.
But if your town is at all substantial I suspect that cables will be a vanity and tesseracts a necessity as it will be difficult to ensure the wide area is chunk loaded.

Last edited:

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Fusion plasma despawns after travelling 100 meters.
That's disappointing. Makes sense though- if it didn't despawn, it'd surely cause a lot of lag if someone's tokomak sprung a leak. And there's no way the plasma could stay at such a high temperature for very long when shot out into open air.

World rifts- or really long steam lines- it is then.

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
There is a very obvious solution here.

AE2 energy acceptors
ACME gigantic bank of dense energy cells
Anyone who needs a supply from the city's energy feed gets a singularity and a starter kit of quartz fibre :)

Oh and for mass power loveliness you can *just* build a fusion reactor.

Because.

Reactions: Type1Ninja