Thaumcraft. The best and worst mod in existence.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
My love/hate with this mod knows no bounds. I've probably fully researched the thaumonomicon 40-50 times over the years and I'm sick of it. I've scanned my chest's contents hundreds of times, and i'm sick of it.

- I've tried enabling easy mode recipes but that just leads to needing way too much of hard to get aspects (instrumentum, etc). I've also tried enabling the cheat mode thaumonomicon, but it feels really cheaty being able to get the best of the best without having the roadblocks intended, like the advanced alchemical furnace. Why can't we have an "very easy" research mode that only uses a couple aspects each research?
- Is it too much to ask for a hotkey that allows you to scan things you click on, scan entire chests, or simply automatically scan objects you pick up? Dropping things on the ground and scanning one at a time was OK the first time, tedious the next few times, and mind boggling annoying the next dozen times.

Anyone else feel this way? My last few worlds I've avoided thaumcraft like the plague. Not because it's a bad mod, but because i'm simply tired of the investment time it takes.

Has anyone found any solutions that don't feel ultra cheaty?

trinityamc

Jul 29, 2019
My love/hate with this mod knows no bounds. I've probably fully researched the thaumonomicon 40-50 times over the years and I'm sick of it. I've scanned my chest's contents hundreds of times, and i'm sick of it.

- I've tried enabling easy mode recipes but that just leads to needing way too much of hard to get aspects (instrumentum, etc). I've also tried enabling the cheat mode thaumonomicon, but it feels really cheaty being able to get the best of the best without having the roadblocks intended, like the advanced alchemical furnace. Why can't we have an "very easy" research mode that only uses a couple aspects each research?
- Is it too much to ask for a hotkey that allows you to scan things you click on, scan entire chests, or simply automatically scan objects you pick up? Dropping things on the ground and scanning one at a time was OK the first time, tedious the next few times, and mind boggling annoying the next dozen times.

Anyone else feel this way? My last few worlds I've avoided thaumcraft like the plague. Not because it's a bad mod, but because i'm simply tired of the investment time it takes.

Has anyone found any solutions that don't feel ultra cheaty?
There was a Version of tc4 without Limits on the aspects you can get from scanning a Block
Dont know if you unterstand what i mean
But you could Try downgrading to that Version or do some.work with minetweaker

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Botania has whisperweed that give u research points slowly, the only thing u would need is get the initial aspects scanned and have the whisperweed supply u with all the research points u need.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Workbenches give you a remarkably good source of primals fom the deconstruction table. For each table you get a guaranteed research point. Of course it will be a random aspect.

Also learn to game villager markets. If you get a thaumcraft guy with the right trades you can turn bookshelves in to lore fragments.

That being said an auto scanner machine would be nice.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Workbenches give you a remarkably good source of primals fom the deconstruction table. For each table you get a guaranteed research point. Of course it will be a random aspect.

Also learn to game villager markets. If you get a thaumcraft guy with the right trades you can turn bookshelves in to lore fragments.

That being said an auto scanner machine would be nice.

I seem to remember someone talking about an addon for TC4 that has an autoscanner. Now if only I could remember which one it was...

Veggetossj

Jul 29, 2019
Thaumic Exploration has a Think Tank, that generates knowledge fragments from books fed into it.

Tyrindor

Jul 29, 2019
Has anyone tried playing around with both these values to make "easy" research more accessible?

Example:
I:aspect_total_cap=999
I:research_difficulty=-1

I didn't realize by default you get a lot less aspects after 100. With a lot of mods, and an increased soft cap, easy mode research may be much more doable because you'll have literally thousand of primal aspects to change into instrumentum.

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
This thread really reminds me to look into thaumic energistics, given that it's in the pack i'm playing and i've just got my Thaumcraft on while COLIN handles everything else.

Does anyone know if it has a means of automagically grabbing the research points generated by the deconstruction table and adding them to my pool?

If not, has any wonderful soul created a mod that does?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I'd settle for just being able to purchase all researches the way I can some. Still gated, but much less hassle.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
A few of them do, I know for sure Technomancy adds one, but it's like a quarter or half the speed and it's doesn't appear to be guaranteed points but with the advantage of it accumulating points.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to avoid TC also just because I'm tired of running around scanning everything again and again and again. I mean, the TC mod is huge and very well done but its a serious time investment. Having to go through the basics over and over if you're the kind of person that likes to start new worlds can be really tedious. It'd be great if you could 'export' your completed research, aspect discoveries and perhaps research points and then re-import that into worlds generated using the same mod version. I can see not allowing imports from old versions because the mechanics might have been tweaked or features have been added/removed but not being able to carry over all of that work to a new world feels like a punishment. Oddly though, it kind of pushes you to alternative mods to find less time demanding solutions for your problems.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
TC4 research is contained in a combination of data files that can be exported between worlds if you know what you're doing. I can't remember off hand what files are involved (Thaumcraft has at least one .dat file of its own, and another maybe player.dat or level.dat), but I've seen the process buried deep within the Thaumcraft forum once long ago.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
To be frank, scanning isn't the best way to gain reserch. I only scan the usual dirt, water and lava then the only thing I use it for is scanning nodes so the node tracker remembers them and reserch unlocking things like angry zombies.
I kind of know the aspect combos off by heart, but I can never quite rember what goes in to sensus luckily you can scan a lot of it from dyes.
Reserch points are easily gained by the deconstruction table and feeding it crafting tables. Cut down a few trees and craft youself up a stack of crafting tables and run them through the deconstruction table for a tidy 9-12 primals each.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
I finally ripped it and its addons out of my custom pack and I don't miss it. Sure it looks cool, but my last play through I committed to gaining warp to get to the new gear and dimensions. The negative effects got tiresome and the scanning is boring. I then thought about what I truly use from the mod and I realized I never use it. I never have the time to delve into node mechanics or all the grindy crafting. The research and usage mechanics are too time consuming and I don't play on a server to build nodes. The one thing I used heavily was the exchange focus, but Endertech replaced that in my inventory.

TC is a novel mod, but I don't have the time. Its magical Gregtech with better toys & I don't have the time to grind.

Reactions: glepet1962

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Most of what I use out of TC are the wands. I don't have to stop and cook meat when I'm on an adventure, because my blazing staff cooks my food, and recharges itself. My Reed Staff recharges it's store of lightning. Equal Trade is duplicated by EnderTech, but I've not seen portable hole duplicated. There's a few tricks I can do with Golems. Beyond that, I just kind of ignore it. (Though the wizard robes look awesome.)

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a more effective mining tool than the primal crusher?
What other mods offer the ranged AOE damage of a Primal Staff with Wand Focus: Lightning enhanced with Chain Lightning I?
I'm sure there are Tech armors that offer more self-repairing protection than Void Robes with Runic protection but its pretty damn nice.
And then there are the boots of the traveller - which I prefer not the enchant with haste lest I go too damn fast.
--
And, once you've fully automated ore doubling in thaumcraft you can realize how lame putting two boxes next to each other is.

Last edited: