Thaumcraft. The best and worst mod in existence.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I think discussions like this shouldn't be taken as a let's bash thaumcraft thread. The opinions here are from people who honestly I believe enjoy many aspects of the mod. I love the thing. I hate scanning and a few small irritations but honestly I think most of us really enjoy it and these opinions come from a place of love. Here's what we love about the mod... And specifically here's what we don't like lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
come on, I was just trying to make it simple...
Anyways, sure, they have very different philosophy, and I like both.
What I don't like much, is when there is a bridge between the two that is most of the time horrible.
I mean, there is about 6 zero difference between RF value and EU value.
And making a 1000000:1 RF to EU ratio make it completely broken in the other way.
For me, the challenge in making a modpack with EU and RF is to make RF the "early-game power source required to advanced to the End-game EU".

If a good pack like this exist, I'm sure I would really like it.

Sorry, I don't get it... :confused:
Tech mods: Not simple. There are no generalizations you can make, except that you turn some resource into some form of energy to transform some other resource into a better resource. That's as far as you can go. ;)

For not getting TC:
The minigame is fun. The material costs are balanced. It's the closest any mod has gotten to a fun version of the real-life requirement of researching something before you can use it (wikis don't count). The stuff you actually get is fun to use and useful. The taint is kinda cool. Hungry nodes are kinda cool. The addons are all really cool. There are lots of config options. It's been around since the beginning of modding. It's a great mod. :)

Actually, TC2 was the *very* first mod I played with.
Short Story:
I was playing Technic (classic edition for MC 1.2.5). I had no idea what I was doing. I had built on top of a Greatwood tree - ironic, seeing as I didn't know what Thaumcraft was. I had mined a bunch of ores and then smelted ALL of them into ingots, with the help of the arcane furnace, which was craftable with just a regular table. I asked a friend how to start with IC2, and he said to find rubber and not smelt any ores because I could double them later. Both of those were issues; I couldn't find any rubber trees (except the one I chopped down, not knowing what it was) and had no saplings, and I had already smelted all my ores. I turned to !!magicks!! I crafted a crucible, put a fire/torch under it (don't remember which) and made a ton of Thaumium, because it was super simple back then. I made a full set of Thaumium armor. It was pretty cool.

I never played that world again. The only other time I played Technic was on a different world. I got some basic EE2 stuff (but not enough to be useful), and made a mystcraft linking book. I didn't bring a way back. I ended up cheating in a nether portal to get back. After that, I never played Technic again. :p

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
By 'I don't get it", i was speaking about what malicious_bloke said. The second line is beyond my understanding of English...
I mean, I got the meaning of the words, but I don't get the meaning of the sentence :(
As for tech mods, there is no tech mod that is not a form of "make machine, make power, connect machine" afaik. Even Rotarycraft does that, in a different way, but it's still that.
For the TC stuff... okay, you like the mod, I don't. Let's not argue any further about if it's balanced/fun or if taint is cool, can we?
I think for the thing you didn't understand: it basically means those people are overreacting/a little bit crazy.
Yes, tech mods are similar in that way, but the differences beyond that are too large to generalize. My advice is not too; that's a charged topic here.
TC: Well, if you were going to end by saying it's subjective, and decide not to discuss it, then this thread hasn't got much purpose, has it? :p

Reactions: Psychicash

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
- World grief, in my definition, include world generation. I mean, a dark-purple/black chunk in a bright green landscape is nothing but ugly.
Also, taint or whatever spread and can actually do damage afaik. So, it may not destroy what I built, but it destroy where I could have built. (and so does mods that adds poorly implemented structure generation)

I can definitely see how you don't like taint. In Monster, TC3?, it felt like taint was a worldgen mechanic that was introduced solely to force you into Thaumcraft and that kind of irked me. I built my base in the tropics because the view was gorgeous and then this purple shit took over the area and threatened to ruin all I had worked for! I was new to TC and had no clue what taint was or that it could be disabled so I was forced to get into TC to remove that crap and restore my beautiful world. I ended up liking TC though...using the infusion altar is pretty cool and definitely unique. In Infinity, TC4?, I haven't found a taint node outside of an existing taint biome so I'm guessing that's a 'thing' now ... to generate entire biomes of taint as if the land has been there forever and has already been taken over by taint. Makes sense if your goal is to make you think the world is old and has its own history but if it has the capability to spread outside of the defined biome, it essentially pushes me away from all the surrounding areas as well cause I don't want to 'have' to deal with it.

Reactions: Plasmaboo

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
TC4 research is contained in a combination of data files that can be exported between worlds if you know what you're doing. I can't remember off hand what files are involved (Thaumcraft has at least one .dat file of its own, and another maybe player.dat or level.dat), but I've seen the process buried deep within the Thaumcraft forum once long ago.

Good to know but it'd be 'nice' if it was officially endorsed and supported somehow. Otherwise, it feels like I'm going against the wishes of the mod developer and that just feels wrong. I know it really doesn't matter cause you can play how you want to play but I think the dev spent a significant amount of time on the mod and they have a specific vision for how they think it should be played. TC feels like a world within a world ... almost a story. Maybe I'm making more of what it is than 'just a mod' but given a single world, the mechanics of TC seem 'right'. Given player behavior (multiple worlds), the investment seems out of place. I'd like to know the dev's (Azanor?) opinion on that and then based on that opinion, I'd be open to trying a hackish solution.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Iirc taint was only added in TC 4.1 for MC 1.7.2
So apparently taint came in with TC 4.0 for 1.6.4

TC3 was for MC 1.5.2 and had the aura and flux effects. No taint.

Azanor tuned the taint placement over time. The initial version made large patches of unnoticeable taint 'seed' that would rapidly colonize large areas quickly. A later iteration overlaid the biome generation with large ellipses that converted regular forest to taint or magical biome.

The current version has the biomes registered for normal generation so there is no longer really a biome to convert back to.

In all cases when the terrain is initially generated the terrain will appear very green and rapidly turn purple giving the appearance of rapid spread. This always however halts and tainted lands biome only spreads thereafter perhaps 4 blocks in 24 realtime hours.

If you are a few chunks away you have loads of time to deal with the problem unless you play on a server and chunk load the taint.

At any rate tainted lands are now really rare

Last edited:
Reactions: Padfoote

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
Iirc taint was only added in TC 4.1 for MC 1.7.2

TC3 was for MC 1.5.2 and had the aura and flux effects. No taint.

Azanor tuned the taint placement over time. The initial version made large patches of unnoticeable taint 'seed' that would rapidly colonize large areas quickly. A later iteration overlaid the biome generation with large ellipses that converted regular forest to taint or magical biome.

The current version has the biomes registered for normal generation so there is no longer really a biome to convert back to.

In all cases when the terrain is initially generated the terrain will appear very green and rapidly turn purple giving the appearance of rapid spread. This always however halts and tainted lands biome only spreads thereafter perhaps 4 blocks in 24 realtime hours.

If you are a few chunks away you have loads of time to deal with the problem unless you play on a server and chunk load the taint.

At any rate tainted lands are now really rare

I agree fully with this, but with a minor correction. Taint was around for the 1.6 era, which was the very start of TC4. It didn't appear for the first time in 1.7.2.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019

Yea, I didn't really know what versions were released when so that's why I referenced the mod-packs. Thanks!

And yea, it spreads slowly but I still 'have' to deal with it eventually if I want to setup in a nice beautiful biome not far away. I've set the view distance on my server to 16 (I like to see far) so even being somewhat near taint is problematic for me. Is it an 'End of the World' kind of thing. No. Not at all but if someday, I find the most beautiful awesome wonderful biome w/ the most spectacular views and the taint biome just happens to be next to it ... I will not be pleased :)

I'm 'that guy' that replants trees he cuts down and avoids quarries because they scar my beautiful land. Having taint corrupt my peaceful natural setting will occupy a small noisy spot in my mind that will simply not be silenced. Taint is my enemy ... and I sincerely hope I can revert the tainted lands to some other biome because I will find that taint ... and I will kill it.

Last edited:

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
There is a mod called Thaumic Expansion wich might ease your problems with TC. It is supposed to add a machine that can scan things for you. Havent actually tried it yet, might not fully work yet, but I am keeping my eye on it.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
>>>>> Ender quarry <<<<< ;)
And that's pretty much exactly my problem with taint and Eerie biome. (I suppose that's the one that have been there before taint?)
The thing is that in my case, that taint/whatever ugly biome is ALWAYS inside the most beautiful awesome wonderful biome or just next to it. ('cause RWG+BOP+COG ftw :cool:)
I happen to still have one screenshot of one of the ugly biome. See? That's why I don't like it.

Seriously. So if BoP generates an ugly biome thats ok. But if TC does it then its a problem? I get that TC is not your cup of tea, but its biomes, like any other mods biomes, add character and uniqueness to the landscape.

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
Seriously. So if BoP generates an ugly biome thats ok. But if TC does it then its a problem? I get that TC is not your cup of tea, but its biomes, like any other mods biomes, add character and uniqueness to the landscape.

Haha, fair point but biome's from BoP generally don't eat their neighbors (infest is actually a better term). Though I could do away w/, what is it, dark forests and ... whichever one spawns a bunch of Endermen. It's purple too. Again, this is all down to preference, but I always forget to tweak the configs before I start a new world. Then I run into biomes like those and say "Dammit!".

Reactions: Type1Ninja

skruis

Jul 29, 2019
>>>>> Ender quarry <<<<< ;)
And that's pretty much exactly my problem with taint and Eerie biome. (I suppose that's the one that have been there before taint?)
The thing is that in my case, that taint/whatever ugly biome is ALWAYS inside the most beautiful awesome wonderful biome or just next to it. ('cause RWG+BOP+COG ftw :cool:)
I happen to still have one screenshot of one of the ugly biome. See? That's why I don't like it.

Yep, I'm actually on the lookout for a taint biome so I can research taint to get the ethereal blooms to revert those areas from eerie to whatever they were before. Seriously, within a full screen map view of my base, there are probably at least 5 of those eerie biomes. The one right next to my base is a blight on my beautiful rainforest biome.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I must have tweaked my configs because since 1.7.10 I have had no problems with taint. However I kind of understand the eerry biomes from totems, they can pox the land a bit and are a pain to clean as no mod adds easy early game biome conversion. I like TC and even I wish the eerry biomes dissipated as soon as the sinister node was destroyed.
But as for taint I have found that its spreads as slow and as far as post nerf vanilla fire. Earlier versions of taint spread was ridonk and appeared to be super random with it's placement of taint nodes. These days taint is usually sequestered to their designated biomes with very very minimal spread to other biomes.
I guess I must be several versions ahead or something?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk