Load any modpack faster ???

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
@Hambeau A few issues there, nowadays java intermediate bytecode gets compiled to machine code at run time by the JIT commpiler, (though it takes some time to kick in)

forgecraft is the invite-only server popularized by a bunch of streamers/youtubers; forge is the shim you mean

Thanks for the correction... I was thinking forge but had just watched DW20's episode 1 of the new Forgecraft2 server. :rolleyes:

tindin

Jul 29, 2019
Please, anyone knows how youtubers do to load their modpacks quickly, I can't even imagine DW20 spending 4-5 minutes just to load up his FTB pack to start to record his LP series, on my side I have a SSD drive and all my Minecraft modpacks are on it to speed up load times but I can't understand why it takes 5 minutes to load up a modpack. I can't even launch the new Infinity modpack, I tried it 5 times, and after 10 real life minutes it wasn't loaded, checked console and nothing seems to be bad there. What is the secret that no one wants to share to load up any modpacks faster, there must be something else than a faster PC, my friend got the latest beast and its the same 5 minutes for most modpacks and he too can't launch Infinity on a I7 with 32GB of RAM and a SSD. For information, we both have Java7 64 bits because I know it can cause problems to have Java8 which isn't supported by modpacks currently.

The secret is load it up then go do something a for a few mins. get your drink some snacks a bathroom break when ya come back it's done.

CondeCero

Jul 29, 2019
sorry if i write bad but answer some questions

version of java?
memory of the machine i suggest 3.5 gb
and in the java parameters in the launcher write this -----> -XX:permSize=512m -XX:MaxPermSize=1024m

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I saw Resurrection in your list of packs. Hate to tell ya, it takes me 2 to 3 minutes to load it up and everyone else on the Utopia server as well. Heck it takes the server 2 minutes to restart lol. Greg tech packs just take longer to load.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
I saw Resurrection in your list of packs. Hate to tell ya, it takes me 2 to 3 minutes to load it up and everyone else on the Utopia server as well. Heck it takes the server 2 minutes to restart lol. Greg tech packs just take longer to load.
makes you wonder what greg is doing in the init besides removing and readding every recipe

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
makes you wonder what greg is doing in the init besides removing and readding every recipe
Unifying every ore dictionary entry with his ore dictionary and loading an ungodly amount of blocks and items. Why does everyone assume bad? You can see exactly what is going on in the log if you read it.

ratchet freak

Nov 11, 2012
Unifying every ore dictionary entry with his ore dictionary and loading an ungodly amount of blocks and items. Why does everyone assume bad? You can see exactly what is going on in the log if you read it.
that assume I ever want to fire a GT pack up...

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Have you tried overclocking that chip? I've heard the core 2 quads can get decent clocks. May hold you over until you can afford a new system.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Have you tried overclocking that chip? I've heard the core 2 quads can get decent clocks. May hold you over until you can afford a new system.

On the other hand, overclocking can keep you from any computer related activities at all until you can afford a new system, if you don't understand exactly what you are doing.

You have been warned.

Have a nice day! :D

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
On the other hand, overclocking can keep you from any computer related activities at all until you can afford a new system, if you don't understand exactly what you are doing.

You have been warned.

Have a nice day1 :D
Indeed. I saw one person accidently set their voltage to 1.9 instead of 1.29. It's a pity because it was a i7-3960x.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.

I'm not very good with this, but I could perhaps do something about it (I know one of my cousin friend do this and he's clocking at 4,9GHZ on a recent I7 with water cooling and something that keep the processor really cold, not sure what it is but he has what looks like a pressurized tank that needs to be filled up every month next to his machine), I always wanted to get into water cooling, but I don't think it would be a good investment to do since I need a new machine anyways because of the overpriced DDR2 memory, if I could find a way to stick DDR3 into the machine, I would do that.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
I'm not very good with this, but I could perhaps do something about it (I know one of my cousin friend do this and he's clocking at 4,9GHZ on a recent I7 with water cooling and something that keep the processor really cold, not sure what it is but he has what looks like a pressurized tank that needs to be filled up every month next to his machine), I always wanted to get into water cooling, but I don't think it would be a good investment to do since I need a new machine anyways because of the overpriced DDR2 memory, if I could find a way to stick DDR3 into the machine, I would do that.

DDR2 is only overpriced because nobody uses it anymore except to repair older machines. For example, I can get 8GB DDR3 for my desktop for about 50 USD... 8GB DDR2 for a laptop is over 250 USD... If I could afford to update my laptop I'd have "Mobile Modded Minecraft" :D

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
DDR2 is only overpriced because nobody uses it anymore except to repair older machines. For example, I can get 8GB DDR3 for my desktop for about 50 USD... 8GB DDR2 for a laptop is over 250 USD... If I could afford to update my laptop I'd have "Mobile Modded Minecraft" :D

Exactly, my laptop use ddr3 and I only have 4gb on it, I planned to perhaps upgrade it to 8gb, but I don't think its really worth it at the moment because I plan to sell it along with my PS3 once GTA5 is out on PC to get a better PC, if I was sure to get more for my laptop with 8gb instead of 4gb I would do it, but that machine is from late 2010 and I don't honnestly think that 4GB of ram on it would allow a better price on sale. I really wish there was some kind of adapter to fit ddr3 on ddr2 motherboards, I don't care about the speed of it, just want more ram at cheaper prices., I got a kit of 4x4GB DDR3 for 89$ last week for a customer brand new PC, but same kit in DDR2 is around 300$

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Exactly, my laptop use ddr3 and I only have 4gb on it, I planned to perhaps upgrade it to 8gb, but I don't think its really worth it at the moment because I plan to sell it along with my PS3 once GTA5 is out on PC to get a better PC, if I was sure to get more for my laptop with 8gb instead of 4gb I would do it, but that machine is from late 2010 and I don't honnestly think that 4GB of ram on it would allow a better price on sale. I really wish there was some kind of adapter to fit ddr3 on ddr2 motherboards, I don't care about the speed of it, just want more ram at cheaper prices., I got a kit of 4x4GB DDR3 for 89$ last week for a customer brand new PC, but same kit in DDR2 is around 300$

You're correct... There isn't much resale value in any computer system actually, laptops specifically, given what you paid in 2010 and what that will get you in a laptop today.

The nice thing about desktops is that you don't have to upgrade everything at the same time. If you do it smartly, you can swap one part at a time. One year I got my dual-core Athlon... The next I swapped my motherboard for one that supported the old CPU while also the new ones that had been announced. The third year I got my 4Ghz FX-8350 and 8GB of DDR3 ram.

And some people don't believe in evolution :D

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, that's how I started to upgrade my machine, first I had only 2GB of ram, then got 4GB, then finally 6GB and I got a SSD inside (if you plan on a buying a new SSD, don't buy a OCZ, they are pure crap, I had 3 of them die on me, now I got a Samsung Pro 840 and hope it will last more than 6-8 months (my best OCZ lasted 8 months)

mgmlg

Jul 29, 2019
hey i think i know how to fix it
1. open launcher
2. go to settings
3. put your maximum ram

if you got 4 go with 2.15
if you got 6 go with 4.50
if you got 8 go with 5-6

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
hey i think i know how to fix it
1. open launcher
2. go to settings
3. put your maximum ram

if you got 4 go with 2.15
if you got 6 go with 4.50
if you got 8 go with 5-6

Meh.. I have 8GB and still only use 3.5 for Pretty much all modpacks with no issues

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Meh.. I have 8GB and still only use 3.5 for Pretty much all modpacks with no issues

I, too will reply to this zombie... :D

Allocating anything more than 4GB to Minecraft seems to be detrimental, because Java seems to start spending more time ("ticks", if you will) Garbage collecting the memory than running the game. This appears to be a function of how Minecraft is structured, code wise, than anything else.

The only time to allocate more ram is if you run a large texture pack. I don't do so and therefore don't know specifics.

Gamefury64

Jul 29, 2019
*Borrows @Succubism image*
image.jpg

I mean, I guess its still related, but this thread id about 6 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.