[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have used EnderIO in the past and greatly appreciate the singleblock/multipurpose capabilities it's pipes offer. I have 2 gripes with it though. It makes the pipes small and necessitates opaqueness; I really like to see the liquids/items in pipes. The second gripe is that they do not flow very fast at all; max 800mb/t whereas mekanism's flow is 64000mb/t. Additionally, the extract rate of a single connection is 200mb/t for enderIO and 6400mb/t for mekanism. Again, a vast difference. I also think the mekanism pipes are more visually appealing acknowledging the fact that enderIO pipes are more functionally diverse.

For me, I use enderIO for compact/hidden builds and logistics pipe/mekenism pipes for builds where form matters. So, my brewing station automation will definitely use enderIO. My IC2 fluid reactor will be large and appealing looking so, mekanism pipes.

I really like how MysteryDump did her plant:

In places where restrictive fluid flow cannot be tolerated, mekanism pipes again will be used. It is a set it and forget it connection so that I do not have to spam the side of my boiler with connections to get the flow rate right. That just looks messy to me and with mekanism pipes, unnecessary.
Those are definitely buff, just bear in mind that Infitech has its own progression rate and balance points. Mekanism pipes wouldn't work by default because they're way too powerful; nobody would have any reason to use anything else.

Nickolas Wood

Jul 29, 2019
Those are definitely buff, just bear in mind that Infitech has its own progression rate and balance points. Mekanism pipes wouldn't work by default because they're way too powerful; nobody would have any reason to use anything else.

I am trying to work within the progression system. Those pipes are completely configurable in the config as far as rates are concerned and creating them requires steal, first upgrade requires iron+redstone in an alloy furnace, second upgrade requires the previous and diamond dust in an alloy smelter and the third requires the previous and obsidian dust in an alloy smelter. Not trivial to get to that point material wise (I think). I am definitely open to suggestions on how to better integrate these pipes.

In all honesty, given the usefulness of enderIO pipes, I can't imagine anyone using any other pipe that is available in this pack and the basic fluid pipe can be made while still in the bronze age.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I am trying to work within the progression system. Those pipes are completely configurable in the config as far as rates are concerned and creating them requires steal, first upgrade requires iron+redstone in an alloy furnace, second upgrade requires the previous and diamond dust in an alloy smelter and the third requires the previous and obsidian dust in an alloy smelter. Not trivial to get to that point material wise (I think). I am definitely open to suggestions on how to better integrate these pipes.

In all honesty, given the usefulness of enderIO pipes, I can't imagine anyone using any other pipe that is available in this pack and the basic fluid pipe can be made while still in the bronze age.
The best Ender IO pipe requires Enderium, which in turn requires a fully upgraded multiblock Electric Blast Furnace and 300 seconds per ingot :p

You'll find in this pack that those are pretty trivial upgrades, but I'm not trying to shoot down your plans at all. I just don't think you'll never need anything but Mekanism pipes (but that's kind of the point of your changes)

Nickolas Wood

Jul 29, 2019
The best Ender IO pipe requires Enderium, which in turn requires a fully upgraded multiblock Electric Blast Furnace and 300 seconds per ingot :p

You'll find in this pack that those are pretty trivial upgrades, but I'm not trying to shoot down your plans at all. I just don't think you'll never need anything but Mekanism pipes (but that's kind of the point of your changes)

Well, I could change the recipe to require enderium instead of steal... Sort of make mekanism pipes a natural progression above enderIO pipes if/when they are needed. The first crafting recipe is 2 steal and a bucket right now (default).

So, from highest tier enderIO fluid conduit to lowest tier mekanism mechanical pipe:
200mb/t extract and 800mb/t flow
100mb/t extract and 1000mb/t flow

Making them both require enderium seams a good fit for the balance already present no?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well, I could change the recipe to require enderium instead of steal... Sort of make mekanism pipes a natural progression above enderIO pipes if/when they are needed. The first crafting recipe is 2 steal and a bucket right now (default).

So, from highest tier enderIO fluid conduit to lowest tier mekanism mechanical pipe:
200mb/t extract and 800mb/t flow
100mb/t extract and 1000mb/t flow

Making them both require enderium seams a good fit for the balance already present no?
Yep you definitely have the right idea.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok its time for some more spammed pictures of Cobbleton. I've made some upgrades to my energy production I'd like to share.

Warning the pictures are big. And there's lots of cobblestone. Even the stuff that doesn't look like cobblestone are just chiseled cobblestone. Hail Cobbleton!

1) My little "Big" Reactor. As you can see its actively cooled. That turbine is generating around 7100 RF/t. You can sorta make out in the bottom-left an LV machine hull which houses one of Blood Asp's toys: a wireless redstone receiver. When the central batteries go low, all my reactors are activated by that signal.
Big Reactors.jpg

2) My RF/EU Conversion Array. Its an absolute beast, and probably cost four-digits of iron (I didn't count). Its converting that RF to EU at 4:1 (x 0.93 percent efficiency). This is the main backbone of my power gen at this time.
PneumaticCraft Conversion Array.jpg

3) MOX power. For a good while this little reactor was my main source of power. I'm using a smaller design than I used to, it produces around 700 eu/t but it only uses quad-mox cells, so its easier to automate. Its now a fully hands-off reactor: all stages of fuel refurbishing are automated, I just need to keep a barrel of iron plates stocked somewhere (too lazy to automate that so far)
MOX Reactor.jpg

4) My new happy toy. That's a 5x5 actively cooled IC2 Thorium Reactor to the bottom right. In "passive" mode it generates a mere 120 eu/t (albeit extremely efficiently). WIth that crazy tower on the left, its closer to 450 eu/t. You're looking at 10 Liquid Heat Exchangers feeding 10 Stirling Generators, each of which is capable of outputing 50 eu/t (but we're falling a bit short of that in heat output).

This would be even more output if I converted that heat into superheated steam instead. This was structurally simpler to do. I may switch to superheated steam when Blood Asp fixes up the Large Heat Exchanger and Large Turbine :)

Edit: I forgot to mention that at 450 eu/t, this thing actually generates 450,000,000 eu per 16 thorium. And then you get some of that thorium back at the end of the cycle. 450 eu/t isn't a lot, but its insanely efficient. I'd build a couple more of these, but you wouldn't believe the quantity of raw resources I had to dump into it.

Thorium Reactor.jpg

5) My new power storage facility. Ignore the gas tower in the back, I haven't used that in weeks. Everything's now in that 9x Insane Voltage battery buffer. It currently has 6 batteries in it, so 600,000,000 total eu capacity. The cycles to deplete/fill this thing take loooooong, which is good for power sources such as Big Reactors which have long spin-up times (and therefore run more efficiently if run over a longer period of time.)

All the junk on the floors/pillars is some blue-power and automagy redstone logic to switch the power on and off. This is all possible because Blood Asp made the energy detector cover absolutely amazing: it now reads energy stored in the batteries inside.

Old-fashioned redstone dust is mostly used because Blue Power and Automagy don't talk to each other nicely. I bridge them with redstone dust.
Power Storage.jpg

Attachments

• Big Reactors.jpg
    Big Reactors.jpg
    417.9 KB · Views: 43
  • thorium reactor design.jpg
    thorium reactor design.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Nickolas Wood

Jul 29, 2019
2) My RF/EU Conversion Array. Its an absolute beast, and probably cost four-digits of iron (I didn't count). Its converting that RF to EU at 4:1 (x 0.93 percent efficiency). This is the main backbone of my power gen at this time.
View attachment 21343

Oh dear, please explain...

I have heard of this mentioned before but I have never seen it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Oh dear, please explain...

I have heard of this mentioned before but I have never seen it.
We can't use RF directly. So if you want to take advantage of the massive power in BR, you need to convert it. There's two ways I know of: PneumaticCraft, and Galacticraft.

PC allows 100% hypothetical conversion, so I'm going with it. In those arrays, RF is going into Flux Compressors to create pressurized air, and that air is going into Pneumatic Generators to create EU. You need a lot of them to spread out the power: conversion generates heat, and heat impacts efficiency. With 6 conversion pairs, I'm at the limit of what I can do to keep it cool with all those heat sinks you see. I'm taking a minor hit to efficiency, hence 93% instead of 100%.

Reactions: MigukNamja

Nickolas Wood

Jul 29, 2019
We can't use RF directly. So if you want to take advantage of the massive power in BR, you need to convert it. There's two ways I know of: PneumaticCraft, and Galacticraft.

PC allows 100% hypothetical conversion, so I'm going with it. In those arrays, RF is going into Flux Compressors to create pressurized air, and that air is going into Pneumatic Generators to create EU. You need a lot of them to spread out the power: conversion generates heat, and heat impacts efficiency. With 6 conversion pairs, I'm at the limit of what I can do to keep it cool with all those heat sinks you see. I'm taking a minor hit to efficiency, hence 93% instead of 100%.

Awesome, thank you. Pneumaticcraft has some fancy toys now. The last time I played with it drones were new.

Azor

Jul 29, 2019
I have 2 different source of EU - fully automated infinite (RTG) and finite/non automated (steam turbines and so on). The goal is to use infinite all the time and turn on others only when they are really need.

When I try to connect all my energy sources to main line via battery buffer it works great, but each incoming line has own priority. So if consumption below 200 EU/t only one RC turbine will work, if consumption increases to 1600 EU/t eight turbunes start to produce energy. Ok. But how can I control which line will be 1st priority? I need to use all my infinity source befor turn on any of RC turbines.

Every time I rebuild the power transfer system or add addition source - the priorities rearranged by wierd way. Any chance I can control it?

Last edited:

Opister

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any way to turn diamond Dust back to diamonds? In the Autoclave you can only turn it to pulsating Crystal

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I have 2 different source of EU - fully automated infinite (RTG) and finite/non automated (steam turbines and so on). The goal is to use infinite all the time and turn on others only when they are really need.

When I try to connect all my energy sources to main line via battery buffer it works great, but each incoming line has own priority. So if consumption below 200 EU/t only one RC turbine will work, if consumption increases to 1600 EU/t eight turbunes start to produce energy. Ok. But how can I control which line will be 1st priority? I need to use all my infinity source befor turn on any of RC turbines.

Every time I rebuild the power transfer system or add addition source - the priorities rearranged by wierd way. Any chance I can control it?
Regarding your RTGs: for the most part these aren't a big deal, unless you find a plutonium vein, in which case you can easily spam them given enough raw (common) resources. Don't be horribly shocked if some future version of the pack nerfs plutonium veins.

I actually delete any native plutonium I find unless I get it via another process, such as MOX or refining uranium. When I find enough "legit" plutonium though, I love using the RTGs for things like farming :) :)

Regarding your power gen: Maybe consider turning on your finite sources when the battery itself is low. That way they'll all turn on simultaneously and stay on for the same period of time. That's what I do: I currently have my Thorium power running full time, a mere 450 eu/t. And when the battery gets low (~13%) my other nuclear power starts up until I'm back up to ~85% full.

I turn things off at 85% because Big Reactors takes a long time to shut down, and its generating power that whole time. This would also be true if you're using large Railcraft Boilers.

Reactions: Azor and MigukNamja

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
you know what would be nice? if u had some sortof early game autominer, like a really easy to set up, non- tin or copper requiring way to have something mine for you, instead of having to search for them tin ore veins (which i think i am cursed because, in all the times i have played this modpack, never seen a tin ore vein) and i think it would be better to make the early game ore searching grind easier. it would have some limitations though, like you could not attach it to pipe systems, and it doesent mine much, and u dont power it, you just place it down, and it will mine for a while and then stop, and then have break it and place it somewhere else for it to start mining again (maybe have it take some coal from inventory, and then mine for a set time). or maybe something to help find GT ore veins? like, something that would spawn in the starter chest?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
you know what would be nice? if u had some sortof early game autominer, like a really easy to set up, non- tin or copper requiring way to have something mine for you, instead of having to search for them tin ore veins (which i think i am cursed because, in all the times i have played this modpack, never seen a tin ore vein) and i think it would be better to make the early game ore searching grind easier. it would have some limitations though, like you could not attach it to pipe systems, and it doesent mine much, and u dont power it, you just place it down, and it will mine for a while and then stop, and then have break it and place it somewhere else for it to start mining again (maybe have it take some coal from inventory, and then mine for a set time). or maybe something to help find GT ore veins? like, something that would spawn in the starter chest?
You can sort of do this already with the BC miner. It digs a simple 1x1 shaft straight down. I've used it in the past for prospecting, although I ended up just doing manual shafts instead. It doesn't require much energy, so something like an EIO stirling engine works fine.

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
You can sort of do this already with the BC miner. It digs a simple 1x1 shaft straight down. I've used it in the past for prospecting, although I ended up just doing manual shafts instead. It doesn't require much energy, so something like an EIO stirling engine works fine.
yeah, but thats just the point: i can barley even get to an EIO stirling engine, how expensive are they? do they require some tin or copper? iron? i dont think there THAT expensive though, so i guess it wouldnt be too bad. it would be nice if u could get villagers or something to mine for you.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
@123nick

Judging from your avatar picture, you seem to have patience and persistence. This is good, because early-game GT is supposed to be frustrating enough to make the player desire better tools and machines.

And, if you think finding Tin is bad now, it was really bad in the early days of GT5. Tin only spawned from Y=80 through Y=120. Some people would travel for 1K blocks in each direction from spawn and still not find exposed Tin.

Now, Tin spawns from Y=60 through Y=120, which makes it much easier to find in biomes where the ground/grass is roughly 70 and up. The easiest way now is to dig very shallow exploratory holes, stopping at Y=60. Here's how I do it:

1. Empty inventory of everything except shovels, pickaxes, and a little bit of food.
2. Press F9 to bring up the chunk boundary viewer
3. Dig hole straight down, stopping at Y=60
4. Come back up, move 3 chunks in any direction
5. Loop 3 and 4 until Tin is found

I found 2 Tin veins within ~10 chunks of my base, i.e. 400 square chunks total. Since each exploratory hole covers 3x3 chunk area (9 chunks), that wasn't that many holes dug to find those 2 veins.

Reactions: Pyure

123nick

Jul 29, 2019
@123nick

Judging from your avatar picture, you seem to have patience and persistence. This is good, because early-game GT is supposed to be frustrating enough to make the player desire better tools and machines.

And, if you think finding Tin is bad now, it was really bad in the early days of GT5. Tin only spawned from Y=80 through Y=120. Some people would travel for 1K blocks in each direction from spawn and still not find exposed Tin.

Now, Tin spawns from Y=60 through Y=120, which makes it much easier to find in biomes where the ground/grass is roughly 70 and up. The easiest way now is to dig very shallow exploratory holes, stopping at Y=60. Here's how I do it:

1. Empty inventory of everything except shovels, pickaxes, and a little bit of food.
2. Press F9 to bring up the chunk boundary viewer
3. Dig hole straight down, stopping at Y=60
4. Come back up, move 3 chunks in any direction
5. Loop 3 and 4 until Tin is found

I found 2 Tin veins within ~10 chunks of my base, i.e. 400 square chunks total. Since each exploratory hole covers 3x3 chunk area (9 chunks), that wasn't that many holes dug to find those 2 veins.

oh the avatar? thats not mine :p infact, i think that was just a screenshot of a screenshot, should probably change it or make a signature disclaiming about it. although, maybe, if and when i get back into playing infitech, ill think about this. seems like a pretty good idea :)