[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys, couple of neat things here since I'm playing with Thaumic Energistics this week.

1) Note that my infusion altar has no more jars around it. There's a Infusion Provider beneath it that serves any necessary essentia from my AE system now.

2) Look at that export bus at the bottom. I tested this without much hope, but that's actually providing essentia from the side of the jar. Which means I can pipe out of the same jar if I need to. Pleasant surprise.

2015-07-30_20.10.21.jpg

Reactions: MigukNamja

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
In v3.1.5 Carpenter's Blocks (3.3.7) seems broken. I can no longer place other blocks into them to change their appearance.
have you placed those Carpenter Blocks before the update? If so, break and place them, or craft them again. if that will also not help, downgrade to 3.3.5 of carpenters blocks and let me know.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
In v3.1.5 Carpenter's Blocks (3.3.7) seems broken. I can no longer place other blocks into them to change their appearance.
Also just for test try to place a block into them when you are in creative to see if its just ann ownership problem

Azor

Jul 29, 2019
Also you can just cheat in as much as you want at any time :p (which is the same thing, if you use a material that you've stockpiled and then gets removed)
Not really. Already generated chunks save plutonium anyway. If you nerf plutonium veins this fully affect only new worlds. Don't tell me you started new world every time worldgen changed a bit. Like disabled bluepower marble maybe? :p
Why you do not love RTG? As a huge fan of automatization I found they ideal solution for midgame power generation.

I'm still not clear on what you mean by priority system.
Thanks Leldra translated my question to English. :) It is not important anymore, I tried to do as you suggested and it works fine. Just slightly more complex decision than I expected at first.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Why you do not love RTG? As a huge fan of automatization I found they ideal solution for midgame power generation.
Some people think it's unbalanced because it's perceived as being too easy to come by, regardless of the tons of materials it costs. Sure, I would've preferred more complexity rather than "throw tons of plutonium and iron at the problem". However, it is the only mid-game renewable power source in the pack. Also, that people use it in spite of the cost is indicative of a deeper problem, namely that everyone uses non-GT power generation - IC2 reactors, Big Reactors, RTG clusters, RC boilers and turbines - because GT power generation is so horribly inefficient. IMO there is a fundamental imbalance between the power required by GT machines and the power its generation mechanics are able to supply, tier by tier, without insane machinery acrobatics and resource supply. Of the three mentioned non-GT power sources, Big Reactors is the most efficient, and even with the complexity incurred by the necessity of conversion, it would've been my favorite, if not for the fact that automated control of an actively-cooled reactor requires mods not in the pack, namely either CC/Open Peripherals or MFR, and IMO, only power systems with automated control, which I can just keep running apart from having a look at the fuel supply now and then, are worth investing the kind of time the BR/PC solution requires. IC2 reactors have the problem that fuel supply can't be automated at all unless you use only one kind of fuel rod, which left the RTG cluster as my preferred method of mid-game power generation, even if you consider that it's the least efficient by far in terms of output per unit of material invested.

Anyway, that's in the past for me. I found another "technologically hardcore" pack I'm going to try. It will be interesting to see how it compares. Whatever else my experience with Infitech has done, it has given me a taste for themed and customized packs rather than the kitchen sink packs I've been playing before.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
Some people think it's unbalanced because it's perceived as being too easy to come by, regardless of the tons of materials it costs. Sure, I would've preferred more complexity rather than "throw tons of plutonium and iron at the problem". However, it is the only mid-game renewable power source in the pack. Also, that people use it in spite of the cost is indicative of a deeper problem, namely that everyone uses non-GT power generation - IC2 reactors, Big Reactors, RTG clusters, RC boilers and turbines - because GT power generation is so horribly inefficient. IMO there is a fundamental imbalance between the power required by GT machines and the power its generation mechanics are able to supply, tier by tier, without insane machinery acrobatics and resource supply. Of the three mentioned non-GT power sources, Big Reactors is the most efficient, and even with the complexity incurred by the necessity of conversion, it would've been my favorite, if not for the fact that automated control of an actively-cooled reactor requires mods not in the pack, namely either CC/Open Peripherals or MFR, and IMO, only power systems with automated control, which I can just keep running apart from having a look at the fuel supply now and then, are worth investing the kind of time the BR/PC solution requires. IC2 reactors have the problem that fuel supply can't be automated at all unless you use only one kind of fuel rod, which left the RTG cluster as my preferred method of mid-game power generation, even if you consider that it's the least efficient by far in terms of output per unit of material invested.

Anyway, that's in the past for me. I found another "technologically hardcore" pack I'm going to try. It will be interesting to see how it compares. Whatever else my experience with Infitech has done, it has given me a taste for themed and customized packs rather than the kitchen sink packs I've been playing before.
You can automate ic2 reactor with different types of fuel rods.
Logistics pipe supplier pipes can be upgraded to put items into an exact slot and the gregtech regulator can do the same.

How exactly do you need MFR to control an actively cooled reactor and what does computercraft have that opencomputers doesnt have?

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
You can automate ic2 reactor with different types of fuel rods.
Logistics pipe supplier pipes can be upgraded to put items into an exact slot and the gregtech regulator can do the same.
I tried this with a regulator and it didn't work, I thought it was because the reactor is basically a multiblock and with 6 chambers you can't place a regulator adjacent to the central reactor block. Could you make this work or this is theoretical knowledge?

How exactly do you need MFR to control an actively cooled reactor and what does computercraft have that opencomputers doesnt have?
Well, maybe OpenComputers can do it, only I found no manual or tutorial for OpenComputers. I have no idea how to use it - specifically, I don't know which API libraries are available and can interface with Big Reactor components. As for MFR, the machine in question is the programmable RedNet controller, which may be the only machine in modded minecraft that can handle analog signals.

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
I'm currently rebalancing the GT Powergen. It will still not reach most other mods, but at last not be that far behind.
On the other side, new stuff needing power will be added. Maybe i will change RTGs later to be not that powerfull, but only after i prepared alternatives.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I tried this with a regulator and it didn't work, I thought it was because the reactor is basically a multiblock and with 6 chambers you can't place a regulator adjacent to the central reactor block. Could you make this work or this is theoretical knowledge?
I've only tested it with the supplier pipe to the Reactor Chamber and that worked but the regulator should do the same.
The regulator needs energy maybe you forgot that part :)

Well, maybe OpenComputers can do it, only I found no manual or tutorial for OpenComputers.
Have you tried looking for tutorial video?
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLcZKee5-koAC2-pKrE6NOycvfX-KMm013

I'm currently rebalancing the GT Powergen. It will still not reach most other mods, but at last not be that far behind.
On the other side, new stuff needing power will be added. Maybe i will change RTGs later to be not that powerfull, but only after i prepared alternatives.
I think the best option is the vanilla ic2 method.
NO PLUTONIUM ORE
Plutonium is ONLY available through a running reactor.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
That was the first thing i did. Allways found it strange to generate Pu. Just did wait with all worldgen changes until now. Also Oil will come.
Nice.

Now with gregtech oil does that mean we will finally get all those different oil types that we see in the distiller recipes?

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
That was the first thing i did. Allways found it strange to generate Pu. Just did wait with all worldgen changes until now. Also Oil will come.
Speaking about Pu, will it be gone alltogether in the world and replaced by U235? Or will it stay in already generated chunks, and only not generate in new ones?

Blood Asp

Jul 29, 2019
Now with gregtech oil does that mean we will finally get all those different oil types that we see in the distiller recipes?
These Oils were added for PFAA compatibility. But i plan to use them all. Also About 6-8 new oil products and 4 types of plastic made from them.

Speaking about Pu, will it be gone alltogether in the world and replaced by U235? Or will it stay in already generated chunks, and only not generate in new ones?
Just the worldgen default will change. So existing Pu will stay. New generated veins will contain U235 and all Pu sideproducts got replaced by U235.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Not really. Already generated chunks save plutonium anyway. If you nerf plutonium veins this fully affect only new worlds. Don't tell me you started new world every time worldgen changed a bit. Like disabled bluepower marble maybe? :p
You missed my point sir. I'm just saying that your game will be different from a person starting a new world, and that the new world is the new "legitimate" standard of play for that pack. People can do whatever they want to mod their infitech2, but there's only a single standard. I definitely don't start a new world unless Jason tells me its a good idea, but I absolutely do delete stuff that is no longer a standard part of the game. Example: I used to have 20 stacks of plutonium. Now I have 60 plutonium, which I estimate is legitimate. Any plutonium I dig up, I'll delete.

Your way of playing is totally fine. Its awesome. Have fun, mass-RTGs are great! It just wouldn't be default experience if you care about that sort of thing. (I have to care: I test the pack)

Sure, I would've preferred more complexity rather than "throw tons of plutonium and iron at the problem". However, it is the only mid-game renewable power source in the pack. Also, that people use it in spite of the cost is indicative of a deeper problem, namely that everyone uses non-GT power generation - IC2 reactors, Big Reactors, RTG clusters, RC boilers and turbines - because GT power generation is so horribly inefficient.
This is definitely a problem, although more with the pack than with GT. GT didn't participate in the power inflation circle-jerk that most other mods play, so it doesn't always place nice with those other mods. The ideal solution is configuration options so that you can adjust that power in a given pack. Big Reactors is a genius for this don't you think?

IMO there is a fundamental imbalance between the power required by GT machines and the power its generation mechanics are able to supply, tier by tier, without insane machinery acrobatics and resource supply.
That's the challenge, and its intentional. Its also why the mod isn't as popular. Its for the tip-of-the-pyramid players who see that imbalance and say "I can figure out a way to make it work anyway." If it was any easier, those elitist asshole players wouldn't have anything to play, amirite?

Of the three mentioned non-GT power sources, Big Reactors is the most efficient, and even with the complexity incurred by the necessity of conversion, it would've been my favorite, if not for the fact that automated control of an actively-cooled reactor requires mods not in the pack.
I gotta think you're right here. Do you know how to calculate the EU you can get from a single yellorium ingot in a realistic infitech2 scenario? (1 turbine?). But fwiw an actively cooled IC2 Thorium Reactor is also stupidly, incredibly efficient. And I have way more thorium than yellorium.

You're wrong about automated it though. You may not like the tools you can use, but my BR reactor is automated to operate efficiently. It turns on every few RL days and runs for a day or two until my central power system is around 85% full, then it shuts down until its around 15% full. Residual spin on the turbine tends to creep up the power another 5% or so. I'm not gradually setting the rod insertion points based on my central storage, but I could if I wanted to (using several redstone ports) and it would be less efficient anyway.

IC2 reactors have the problem that fuel supply can't be automated at all unless you use only one kind of fuel rod
This isn't actually a problem. For the numbers we're talking about, a multi-rod-type vs single-rod-type reactor design is totally irrelevant unless you're just looking for reasons not to use it. Citation: my single-rod-type reactors are incredibly efficient and automated.

Btw, I recently switched my MOX setup from a 2-type setup (4 duals, 2 singles) to a 4-dual setup. I was initially concerned I was going to lose efficiency. Blackpalt over at IC2 pointed out that my new design was just as efficient overall.

which left the RTG cluster as my preferred method of mid-game power generation, even if you consider that it's the least efficient by far in terms of output per unit of material invested.
You sneaky, word-mangling bastard.

If you draw a graph demonstrating the efficiency of RTGs vs every other energy source in this game, RTGs at a point pass all the others in total output per material and continue to keep rising. If you quadrupled the amount of every resource you poured into every RTG, this would still be the case. If you multiplied it by 100 it would still be the case (assuming you played long enough).

As an efficiency buff, you're being a bit coy here: you don't care about point-output, you care about efficient output. Admit it, you're being sneaky.

So far I've built several RTG generators and pellets. They're powering a few farms and my thaumcraft AE system.

They were incredibly, ridiculously, depressingly cheap once I found a single plutonium vein.

Azor

Jul 29, 2019
Your way of playing is totally fine. Its awesome. Have fun, mass-RTGs are great! It just wouldn't be default experience if you care about that sort of thing. (I have to care: I test the pack)
I can tell you about default expirience. Last time I played Minecraft about 4 years ago so it's pretty fresh look on pack and mods. There is no balance with energy generations. With or without plutonium. Once you start your first treefarm-charcoal-alumentum-steam-EU chain you solved energy problem. Next step - fusion reactor.

You say thorium reactor 400 EU/t? Primitive and easily expandable treefam laugh at that numbers. There's no need to craft nuclear power. Ofcourse you can for test or learn/roleplay purposes, but you can easily skip it and jump right at fusion one.

As a sample: using extrabiomeXL firs 2 golems produce as much wood as need for 72 coke ovens. This ovens fully loaded one alumentum factory producing 1 alumentum every 2 sec. Byproduct creosote feeds three full-sized LP boilers = 3 RC Turbines = 600 EU/t as bonus. Needless to say how much steam/EU you can get for 1/2 alumentum per second. All this pleasure takes just 1 chunk. If you want to expand farm even more - just add another couple lamp of grow. Also there is no need any advanced technology or rare materials. Simple and effective. Cheap and ugly. :)

What you really won by using RTG vs treefarm? Just a less monotonic maintenance as they are fully autonomous. ~5 mins per 24 hrs of plays. Not a big deal, just more enjoyable play if you ask me.

Well, I understand why you blame RTG, but you should blame much more then just RTG.

DarknessShadow

Jul 29, 2019
I can tell you about default expirience. Last time I played Minecraft about 4 years ago so it's pretty fresh look on pack and mods. There is no balance with energy generations. With or without plutonium. Once you start your first treefarm-charcoal-alumentum-steam-EU chain you solved energy problem. Next step - fusion reactor.

You say thorium reactor 400 EU/t? Primitive and easily expandable treefam laugh at that numbers. There's no need to craft nuclear power. Ofcourse you can for test or learn/roleplay purposes, but you can easily skip it and jump right at fusion one.

As a sample: using extrabiomeXL firs 2 golems produce as much wood as need for 72 coke ovens. This ovens fully loaded one alumentum factory producing 1 alumentum every 2 sec. Byproduct creosote feeds three full-sized LP boilers = 3 RC Turbines = 600 EU/t as bonus. Needless to say how much steam/EU you can get for 1/2 alumentum per second. All this pleasure takes just 1 chunk. If you want to expand farm even more - just add another couple lamp of grow. Also there is no need any advanced technology or rare materials. Simple and effective. Cheap and ugly. :)

What you really won by using RTG vs treefarm? Just a less monotonic maintenance as they are fully autonomous. ~5 mins per 24 hrs of plays. Not a big deal, just more enjoyable play if you ask me.

Well, I understand why you blame RTG, but you should blame much more then just RTG.
600eu/t isn't nearly enough to get going with fusion..

Are you saying we should nerf charcoal / tree farms very drastically?

Charcoal power is boring which is why in my base I just did NOT do that at all.

Reactions: Pyure

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Agreed, obviously. Treefarms are a completely separate problem though. This is very true even in infitech2: tree farms are absolutely amazing power generators, and if you can rock thaumcraft golems, they're a joke. You nailed it on the head: you can go straight from tree farms to fusion.

I avoid automated tree farms as a power generation source as a personal preference, otherwise there's no reason to try anything else. During the steam age, I go out and manually chop down 2x2 fir trees. It kinda sucks, so its an incentive to upgrade to something more sophisticated :)

This makes no sense man. You can't compare a variable-size "treefarm" to "400 eu/t". What if I added more reactors? Is 4000 eu/t better than "a" treefarm? That said, like I mentioned before, I agree in principal here.

Btw, its 450 eu/t for 16 thorium in a 14 hour cycle. Then you get approximately 6 thorium dust back (I forget how much)

I could get more eu/t (probably around 600 eu/t) if I used superheated steam. Nobody thinks that's a joke. Its not "high" output, its incredibly "efficient" output per fuel.

We can only solve problems one at a time :)

SteelGiant

Jul 29, 2019
Hidden ores is an old function of GT4, and does not exist anymore in GT5. About half a year back, prospecting worked fine, so it also should not be a TileEntity issue.
Should that not prospecting now be a problem everyone has, that it is a sideeffect of trying to make ores more efficient TPS or traffic wise.

Sorry I'm not entirely clear what you're saying here. Are you saying that prospecting with the pickaxe of the core works correctly for you? I haven't tried prospecting with a GregTech hammer, I wouldn't know where it was finding any ore it did find as far as I can tell, so I can't know if it is discovering as yet unseen ores.

If this is an issue with server settings for efficiency, is there a setting I can change somewhere? I am running a server on a powerful machine with a very low population (all using good machines), so I'm not worried about performance issues.