If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
I will argue the IC nuke thing. I built reactors in several games using known configurations. The last game I built one in, it had been running for quite awhile with no issues, and was a model I had used in the past several times with no problems. Suddenly for no reason it melted down and vaporized my beautiful base in to an ugly crater. Now, my bad I didn't use the reinforced blocks to encase it. I should have. But, I will never trust them again. That was pretty much the end of my long relationship with IC. Machines randomly "breaking" when you pick them up (what possible rationale was there for that?) I could live with. Random catastrophic meltdown was a deal breaker.

This sounds like a chunk unloaded and caused issues. It happens with every mod out there, some just have more explosive results than others.

Reactions: jordsta95

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
I'd like to see a mod add a redstone signal strength adjuster. Something that would simulate a length of redstone dust but in one block. I know you can do it with a subtractor and a comparitor reading a container filled to subtract the signal to your desired strength (usually a a hopper or chest) but a more space saving method would be well received.
You can do it in two blocks with a comparator in subtraction mode, a Bibliocraft bookshelf, and Bibliocraft's "Redstone: Volume 1" book. If you place that book in a shelf, it'll emit a redstone signal with a strength corresponding to the position of the book. So if you put it in the first slot, it'll be strength 15, the next slot is strength 14, etc.

Reactions: Azzanine

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
You can do it in two blocks with a comparator in subtraction mode, a Bibliocraft bookshelf, and Bibliocraft's "Redstone: Volume 1" book. If you place that book in a shelf, it'll emit a redstone signal with a strength corresponding to the position of the book. So if you put it in the first slot, it'll be strength 15, the next slot is strength 14, etc.
Now that is a handy tip I may have to utilize.
Still though, a stand alone block would be handy.

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
I was standing
This sounds like a chunk unloaded and caused issues. It happens with every mod out there, some just have more explosive results than others.
I was standing in the reactor room when it happened. Not sure if that would matter.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
That would mean the entire thing was loaded and I no longer have an idea as to what happened. That's really weird.
Maybe an update in between play sessions changed how effective the cooling was and let it slowly build up heat until it exploded?

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to see a mod add a redstone signal strength adjuster. Something that would simulate a length of redstone dust but in one block. I know you can do it with a subtractor and a comparitor reading a container filled to subtract the signal to your desired strength (usually a a hopper or chest) but a more space saving method would be well received.

I'm pretty sure ComputerCraft can do this (assuming you can program it to do so). Look into the MFR Programmable Rednet Controller as well. There is a ton of redstone functionality in that (again, if you know what you're doing). I'm not actually sure if the PRC can do it, but it seems right up that alley.

This reminds me that I have to experiment with the PRC more.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
I'm pretty sure ComputerCraft can do this (assuming you can program it to do so). Look into the MFR Programmable Rednet Controller as well. There is a ton of redstone functionality in that (again, if you know what you're doing). I'm not actually sure if the PRC can do it, but it seems right up that alley.

You could probably already use Steve's Factory Manager ;)

Reactions: Type1Ninja

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013

Yeah it is super simple to do with ComputerCraft. But it is rather overkill IMO to have a Computerscript running purely to do that.
PRC can do it sure, but you would need Rednet Cables to interface with it, so it would not be a single block build. Would also be a bit complex a block to use for such a simple function I think.

What I would love would be something simple like a Project Red Logic Gate with a GUI where you can set a Redstone Strength setting. Then when it receives a redstone signal(or possibly default on and switched off on RS signal) on the Input side it will output that Redstone Strength on the Output.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I would to botania a feature where when you're fighting the guardian if you accidentally right click on the beacon it does not open the menu. I mean if you don't get the effect then it shouldn't be active. Or change the beacon to something else.

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
Recent discussion on the forums has reminded me just how broken vanilla leads are. A lead that doesn't suck would be nice to have.

Reactions: Type1Ninja

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
Recent discussion on the forums has reminded me just how broken vanilla leads are. A lead that doesn't suck would be nice to have.

On a vaguely related note, i'm going to petition various makers of dictionaries to change the spelling of the word "lead" when referring to things other than the metal so it's spelled phonetically.

Basically because if you look it up in NEI the screen is all clogged with all the wonderful bits of metalwork you can do with metallic lead XD

Inaeo

Jul 29, 2019
On a vaguely related note, i'm going to petition various makers of dictionaries to change the spelling of the word "lead" when referring to things other than the metal so it's spelled phonetically.

Basically because if you look it up in NEI the screen is all clogged with all the wonderful bits of metalwork you can do with metallic lead XD

Just as well. I always get mad when I look up "leash" and can't find it anyway.

hanleybrand

Jul 29, 2019
The second part (all backpacks having a tab at a crafting table) sounds almost too useful. At that point, why are we bothering to limit inventory space at all? That said, in the right pack, and for the right price (expensive and/or late game) I would enjoy them tremendously.

Well, the base inventory mechanics of minecraft are designed around a total of what, 300 or 400 possible discrete objects that can occupy a slot in your inventory? I did a NEI dump from FTBDeparted the other day and the number of items was in the thousands. So the concept of a limited inventory is fine, but it makes sense that if the number of different items that might be carried at once get multiplied by 10 that inventory capacity might also be increased, even if not by 10.

The issue that needs addressing (from my point of view) is the tedium of having multiple backpacks that need to be held in a slot to go through, which I get on one level as an immersion device -- but on the practical level of an inventory that becomes full if you walk through some grass and flowers punching/swinging (the level of ambient drops is a tad high, imo), it becomes just not fun, especially since there no way to move things between bags without using your inventory as a halfway point, and you can't get to an item in your bag without canceling your crafting session.

I'll check out EnderIO maybe, as RedBoss mentioned.

Reactions: immibis

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Well, the base inventory mechanics of minecraft are designed around a total of what, 300 or 400 possible discrete objects that can occupy a slot in your inventory? I did a NEI dump from FTBDeparted the other day and the number of items was in the thousands. So the concept of a limited inventory is fine, but it makes sense that if the number of different items that might be carried at once get multiplied by 10 that inventory capacity might also be increased, even if not by 10.

The issue that needs addressing (from my point of view) is the tedium of having multiple backpacks that need to be held in a slot to go through, which I get on one level as an immersion device -- but on the practical level of an inventory that becomes full if you walk through some grass and flowers punching/swinging (the level of ambient drops is a tad high, imo), it becomes just not fun, especially since there no way to move things between bags without using your inventory as a halfway point, and you can't get to an item in your bag without canceling your crafting session.

I'll check out EnderIO maybe, as RedBoss mentioned.
So what? Maybe have something like survival-creative tabs?
When you mine something it will go to your hotbar, but if not it goes into the "creative-tab". By this I mean, it's like creative mode, you have different tabs, but one for each mod.
So Minecraft, Tinkers' Construct, Thaumcraft, etc. All of which maybe have 18 slots (2 rows) but only store items from that mod. Which means if you are on a pam's harvestcraft seed hunting spree, for example, you can't fill 100 mod tabs with seeds. You get 27 max (the 18 pam's slots + the hotbar)?

Or are you thinking of something just like you open your inventory, and it can have multiple pages, which you upgrade with something like XP? (I think there's a mod that does this, can't remember though)

Reactions: immibis

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You can't really go changing the vanilla inventory screen or you break some mods that depend on that being unmodified.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
You should be able to get Redcrystal (from Automagy) to do this. Dim Redcrystal caps the signal strength, Dense Redcrystal won't pass a signal unless it's a certain strength, and Amplified Redcrystal preserves full signal strength over distance.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
You can't really go changing the vanilla inventory screen or you break some mods that depend on that being unmodified.
The words that come to mind sounds a bit like "cluck 'em" :p
More inventory space is always nice, especially in packs which have multiple stone types (granite, marble, stone, etc.) or hundreds of ores