Minetweaker and modtweaker. What ways do you use it?

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Hey everyone,

We run a custom modpack, and included is minetweaker and modtweaker. We have been using it to add further compatibility across mods and implement balance and recipes where needed.

A few examples of things we have already done, and plan to do:

Added a recipe for Botania overgrowth seed, using gaia spirits. We wanted overgrowth seeds to still be rare for people early in Botania, but accessible for those who have progressed far enough into it.

We also added TC green heart canisters as a recipe, because who knows if it'll ever become a non creative only item. As for the heart itself, we made it rare dungeon loot.

Then there's ores. I noticed that some of the ores in our modpack could only be 'harvested' via a pickaxe. Since most people with a Mek digital miner use silk touch on ores, it felt kinda bleh having to then place down certain ores and pick them, which was inconvenient for people with ore processing machines. Sure, we have AOBD which aims to automatically add ore processing to some ores, but doesn't work on anything that isn't an ingot, like Thaumcraft's infused ore.

As such, we added recipes for infused ore and Galacticraft silicon ore to be able to be processed in Ender IO's SAG Mill.

As soon as we update modtweaker, we will be implementing Mek enrichment chamber recipes for those as well.

What's neat is that since we have AOBD, if we were to add the proper ore dict values to ores/ingots, then AOBD would auto add Thaumcraft cluster and Mek 8 ore processing items for those. Example - if we were to assign redstone dust with an ore dict value or ingotRedstone, and redstone ore with oreRedstone, then AOBD would add Mek 5x ore processing shards, clumps etc for it. Of course, it's just an example, because there's already 12x processing for redstone with enrichment chambers, but you get the idea.

With this being said, I wanted to know what other people have done with AOBD and mod/minetweaker to increase cross mod interaction and modpack cohesiveness.

Our primary magic/tech mods are Botania, Thaumcraft, Blood Magic, Witchery, EnderIO, TE, MFR and Mek 8. There's also BOP, Natura, Twilight Forest, AE2, Gaalcticraft and Forestry for world gen.

Reactions: buggirlexpres

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
I my self have not yet done anything with it, that being said I always use home brew modpacks and it always some how ends up with me being hosting said modpack for friends.

Thus I have decided to make a home brew what is all about not wasting any resource and making the different energy networks as hard to convert as possible while you still need them to play together in order to get things done.
However as most of my friends are for now unable to play it I have loads of time before I even need to start to work on it and who knows what I have on my mind by then.

_MasterEnderman_

Jul 29, 2019
Currently I use it to fit mods a specific theme, like make tech things a bit more magical. This is done by on the one hand changing the crafting recipe (also for balance) and/or the way of crafting, like thaumcraft infusion, bloodmagic alchemy or using the botania altar/alfheim portal and on the other hand I like to integrate the different tech staff in the thaumonomicon so you have to unlock it by researching to get access...

Another feature I use is the creation of different fluids by mixing different liquids in the Tinker's Construct Smeltery, which opens up so many possibilities, especially when you play skyblock...

Reactions: [unassigned]

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Currently I use it to fit mods a specific theme, like make tech things a bit more magical. This is done by on the one hand changing the crafting recipe (also for balance) and/or the way of crafting, like thaumcraft infusion, bloodmagic alchemy or using the botania altar/alfheim portal and on the other hand I like to integrate the different tech staff in the thaumonomicon so you have to unlock it by researching to get access...

Another feature I use is the creation of different fluids by mixing different liquids in the Tinker's Construct Smeltery, which opens up so many possibilities, especially when you play skyblock...

Alfheim recipes? Interesting. I wonder if I should have done that for the overgrowth seed, although I'm not sure how. Currently my recipe is using a handful of Botania items plus gaia spirits to craft it, but I wonder if I could go 'craft something > toss in portal > get overgrowth seed' while incorporating gaia guardian drops (spirits mainly).

I found out that you can also modify Lexica Botania entries. I'm tempted to do so, adding my overgrowth seed recipe to it, as well as modifying the pages regarding multiblock structures to have better visual guides on building them (a la Thaumcraft 3D grid view, not screenshots)

Last edited:

MadTinkerer

Jul 29, 2019
I think the most in depth usage of Mine/Modtweaker I've had to date has been adjusting loot tables and Thaumcraft (and related add-ons) research. In fact, in the current mod pack that I've made (but haven't released) I added an entire tab of new Thaumcraft research that fit the theme of my mod pack, complete with crucible, workbench and infusion recipes.

I honestly wish more mods would implement parts of their core mechanics in ways that are accessible to Minetweaker. It's very trivial to add the correct @zen annotations to their classes and methods and it brings a huge amount of value to pack builders.

This is one of the (many!) reasons why Thaumcraft is an god damn amazing mod. Nearly everything in the Thauminomicon is accessible through Modtweaker.

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
I think the most in depth usage of Mine/Modtweaker I've had to date has been adjusting loot tables and Thaumcraft (and related add-ons) research. In fact, in the current mod pack that I've made (but haven't released) I added an entire tab of new Thaumcraft research that fit the theme of my mod pack, complete with crucible, workbench and infusion recipes.

I honestly wish more mods would implement parts of their core mechanics in ways that are accessible to Minetweaker. It's very trivial to add the correct @zen annotations to their classes and methods and it brings a huge amount of value to pack builders.

This is one of the (many!) reasons why Thaumcraft is an god damn amazing mod. Nearly everything in the Thauminomicon is accessible through Modtweaker.

You can adjust loot tabled with it? I've been using CustomChestLoot (?) for that, which basically just grabs each type of dungeon chest and dumps the contents into a .txt, where you can edit the contents, drop chance, amount range, etc.

However, speaking of Thaumcraft, I noticed that the Pech's trade aren't affected by the custom loot tables. I added green hearts (TC) to my loot tables so people can get the canisters, but made it rare, so that people with copious amounts of Botania mana or treasure bags could get them a bit more easily. Hmm... I should also see if I can edit the treasure bag/pech loot as well, and add a handful of Thaumcraft addon related loot like Automagy slivers or Forbidden Magic shards.

MT is quite powerful, and I hope more people use it in their packs, *including* the kitchen sink packs. On one hand, MT can completely change how a pack works, like forcing progression such as making crafting tables require extensive materials. On the other, though, it can be used to simply fill gaps between mods and implement features that can really enhance user experience. So instead of relying on mod devs to collaborate to make mods cross compatible in certain ways, you can just use MT to do that for you. Or if you notice a mod is missing some super basic feature (like ore dict values), then MT can help there as well.

thephoenixlodge

Jul 29, 2019
Alfheim recipes? Interesting. I wonder if I should have done that for the overgrowth seed, although I'm not sure how. Currently my recipe is using a handful of Botania items plus gaia spirits to craft it, but I wonder if I could go 'craft something > toss in portal > get overgrowth seed' while incorporating gaia guardian drops (spirits mainly).

I found out that you can also modify Lexica Botania entries. I'm tempted to do so, adding my overgrowth seed recipe to it, as well as modifying the pages regarding multiblock structures to have better visual guides on building them (a la Thaumcraft 3D grid view, not screenshots)
Re:Overgrowth Seeds. You do realize Gaia II drops them right?

Reactions: Booker The Geek

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
Re:Overgrowth Seeds. You do realize Gaia II drops them right?

Oh, I know, but I figured that players by that point may want more than just a handful. Since players often farm Gaia II for the artifacts, I wanted to put the extra spirits they get to use. Allowing players access to more overgrowth seeds during late game Botania allows them to create more efficient mana setups.

Welsknight Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
For the most part, I use it to fix recipe conflicts, remove unwanted items, and hide things from NEI (such as bugged items or items with missing textures).

Rebirth Gaming

Jul 29, 2019
For the most part, I use it to fix recipe conflicts, remove unwanted items, and hide things from NEI (such as bugged items or items with missing textures).

Look into INPureCore. It lets you remove items from NEI. We use it to remove the pages upon pages of microblocks. You can tell it what to remove and not remove. Pretty neat for clearing clutter.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I freaking love Minetweaking Blood Magic, it's easier than most other "machines" and is just insanely fun

electrifeye

Jul 29, 2019
I used it in my mod pack mainly for balance changes, though I also made a custom system for processing mineral blocks into 4x, 6x & 9x ingot outputs, as mineral blocks were the main way of finding materials in the pack. I also made the AE2 vibrant Quartz glass unbreakable so I had an awesome looking transparent bedrock block to use.

jdog1408

Jul 29, 2019
I've been using it with other mods to help eliminate ingot and ore variants, still wish I had a universalizer for them but it's been pretty useful