Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
It depends on your screen brightness/settings- for some it just looks dark, while others [like myself] get incredible layers of detail.
Full size I can distinctly see the colours in her mane and tail, the overall silhouette of her body, and a feint starscape in the background...
... Ah. I see some shiny thingies. XD

Reactions: Padfoote

the_j485

King of the Wicked
Dec 19, 2012
Look behind you
It depends on your screen brightness/settings- for some it just looks dark, while others [like myself] get incredible layers of detail.
Full size I can distinctly see the colours in her mane and tail, the overall silhouette of her body, and a feint starscape in the background...
Holy shit I can see so much more. I thought the two almost-circles were the hooves.

keybounce

Jul 29, 2019
People *REALLY* need to get into the habit of tagging their images with an ICC profile describing the color space that it renders into, and paying attention to black point matching.

Just imagine how much confusion you might have if your system could not handle color tagging at all, or worse, you found that Firefox can handle V2 profiles, but not V4 (Still!??), but the internal PDF display can't handle any (What?!?), while the OS's internal systems handle everything just fine. (Preview, Safari, etc.)

Heck, you might get into the horrible situation of just assuming "everything is an sRGB", or worse, think that everything is 2.2 gamma and hard-code color constants that break on mouseover. (As opposed to 2.4 gamma over most of the color space, and linear in the dark colors, according to the standard, or systems that assume 1.8 gamma for print matching) (sorry, links to those samples lost), or assume that "Hey, my monitor makes 0,0,0 look noticeably different than 1,1,1, so everyone's monitor must behave the same" and make the black-point for a game down at 0,0,0, and assume that if the display is putting out a 3,3,3 grey that it can be told apart from the 0,0,0 black, and that contrast line is visible. (Notch balanced Minecraft's display to look just fine on a low-gamma LCD, but we need a "black level" control to really adjust the darks on well-tuned monitors)

Or worse, a movie playback program that won't let you tell it the color profile of the source movie, that only has TV-like brightness/contrast controls, so it's really hard to adjust the dark areas properly without messing up something in the middle.

... hmm, that last one is all of them, isn't it? Vlc, mplayer, quicktime player -- none of them let you even do a gamma correction, or black-point correction, let alone an actual color-space error.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Yup, I never really paid attention to that.
I remember playing around with gamma and contrast for displaying Fourier-transformed spectrums, which generally have a few high peaks and where the rest is pretty dark in comparison.
Cutting the peaks and using a high gamma value seems to give the best results.
One can also display these spectrums logarithmically, in this case you're able to see all the details in every brightness range but it doesn't look very natural.

</off-topic>

Reactions: Type1Ninja

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I could tell it was a pony once it was actually centered properly, and the big version I knew it was Luna... but MLP:FiM has a rather unique art style, and I made my own avatar for places like FIMFiction and Equestria Daily... and I kinda went OCD trying to match the style.

@keybounce you are officially a color nerd. I actually DID understand that all, but holy crap.

Honestly I wish youtube didn't muck with the colors so bad on upload. MC on Bright looks like it's on Moody, and you STILL can't see anything in the Nether... and my monitor has stupidly high contrast/brightness capabilities (we call it the Blinding Hoth Montior. The first night I turned this monitor on, I was playing SWTOR, the MMO. My character was on Hoth, and I was at a LAN party. I was in one corner of a 10 m by 15m room, and you could read a book on the other corner from the reflected light on the white walls)

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
That is incredibly annoying, I would probably stab my computer if I had to play with that. Not really sure why, but it's is seriously irritating my eyes...
It's probably a left handed mode, for @Qazplm601 and all of those other people who use the hand that makes a "L".
Although the other one could too, depending on which way you face your hands

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Computerized armor sounds interesting.
*jots down to internal ideas notebook*
Mine is getting full of neat ideas for when I finally motivate myself into learning Java. All sorts of difficulty levels too, from just above "add a decorative block" level all the way up to implement complex in-world crafting/enchanting mechanics, a new dimension, some biomes, monsters, a power system, multiblock structures, screwing with vanilla features, user-configurable worldgen for another mod, an added effect to a current potion. A couple of "this mod had a neat idea, let me implement it my way" too. Which hopefully I can implement those in a way that doesn't bring down the wrath of the internet upon me.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
It's probably a left handed mode, for @Qazplm601 and all of those other people who use the hand that makes a "L".
Although the other one could too, depending on which way you face your hands
Can confirm, I use my left hand, and have wanted to be able to use my left hand in MC. :) nice to see this is being added! to vanilla which since i support the stay on 1.7 movement i'll never be able to use, but still pretty nice

Reactions: pc_assassin

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
We have yet to see a multiple vanilla version freeze for mods. I have a feeling 1.9 will drag enough people that 1.7 will die just like 1.2 > 1.4 and to a lesser degree 1.4 > 1.6. Maybe it will be 1.10 instead and we'll set a new record!