TickThreading - concurrent entity/tile entity ticks and other optimisations

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
Can you make an issue with a heap dump from when it runs out of memory?

Which build were you testing when redstone energy cells broke?

Already uninstalled TT and got fresh versions of my jar and all the mods I had, but I never actually let it run out. It just started paging itself to death, so I killed it.

The energy cell problem was on build 797, but I'm fairly certain it also occurred on 732.

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Already uninstalled TT and got fresh versions of my jar and all the mods I had, but I never actually let it run out. It just started paging itself to death, so I killed it.

The energy cell problem was on build 797, but I'm fairly certain it also occurred on 732.
I can't get the energy cell issue to happen - it might have been fixed in 804.

https://github.com/nallar/TickThreading/commit/c53dcf8b15029075bc518efee0f003b136ef9ebc attempts to clear worlds properly after they are unloaded, but I'm not certain that that's the issue. I'll get back to you after the heapdump I took on ftb-craft finishes downloading. that could take a while :(

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
I can't get the energy cell issue to happen - it might have been fixed in 804.

https://github.com/nallar/TickThreading/commit/c53dcf8b15029075bc518efee0f003b136ef9ebc attempts to clear worlds properly after they are unloaded, but I'm not certain that that's the issue. I'll get back to you after the heapdump I took on ftb-craft finishes downloading. that could take a while :(
I was getting some world-leaking warning without TT, so that could be the case. I'll try the newest build for the energy cell issue and get back to you.

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
Tried the latest build. Can't reproduce the memory leaks anymore. The energy cell aren't reverting to zero anymore, but I am seeing an... unusual behavior. I'm not sure if you'll believe me on this, but... every server reset the energy cell in one person's home saves correctly, whereas the ones in mine all reset to 50% at server start. I know that sounds bizarre, but that's what I'm looking at. Tried it a good few times to make sure I wasn't going out of my gourd. The cells in my home are being powered by a prodigious number of industrial steam engines (36), so the network there probably has a lot more activity going on All the cells I'm looking at are under a ChickenChunks Chunk Loader. Not sure if that makes any difference.

At any rate, it seems playable enough for the moment. I suppose this could be something funny going on in TE, rather than directly related to TT, but I don't really know. They saved correctly in my home without TT installed. I know its really odd. Could it be that they were at 50% last time I shut down the server without TT and it isn't overwriting them on server shut down?

Edit: I saw a weird exception in my log when I wasn't on the server, then logged on and saw that all my cells had been cut to about 30%. Here's the stack trace from the log:

2013-02-03 17:42:21 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception during tile entity tick
ticking: c thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitEnergy thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitEnergy@4b97b169 x,y,x: -465, 116, -770 at x,y,z:-465,116,-770
Tick region: rX: -29, rZ: -48, hashCode: -3145757:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at java.util.LinkedList.node(Unknown Source)
at java.util.LinkedList.get(Unknown Source)
at thermalexpansion.transport.GridEnergy.transferEnergy(GridEnergy.java:108)
at thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitEnergy.g(TileConduitEnergy.java:331)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.TileEntityTickRegion.doTick(TileEntityTickRegion.java:130)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.TickRegion.run(TickRegion.java:51)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$2.run(ThreadManager.java:89)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$1.run(ThreadManager.java:40)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$ServerWorkThread.run(ThreadManager.java:150)

Another Update: I removed all the conduits coming out of the energy cells - restarting the server in this case does not cause any of the energy cells to misbehave and they all retain the correct charge. I'm going to try breaking and replacing all my conduits and see if that helps at all.

Another, Another Update: I replaced the "extraction" conduits above the cells and it seems like the cells now only lose ~3% of their total charge on server reset. Then, the exception occurred again while the server was still running and all the cells lost 50% once more. Later, it happened again and it dropped completely to zero.

Here's a screenshot of my setup where the problem occurs - I've got two setups just like this, across from one another:

gKShJNR.jpg

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Tried the latest build. Can't reproduce the memory leaks anymore. The energy cell aren't reverting to zero anymore, but I am seeing an... unusual behavior. I'm not sure if you'll believe me on this, but... every server reset the energy cell in one person's home saves correctly, whereas the ones in mine all reset to 50% at server start. I know that sounds bizarre, but that's what I'm looking at. Tried it a good few times to make sure I wasn't going out of my gourd. The cells in my home are being powered by a prodigious number of industrial steam engines (36), so the network there probably has a lot more activity going on All the cells I'm looking at are under a ChickenChunks Chunk Loader. Not sure if that makes any difference.

At any rate, it seems playable enough for the moment. I suppose this could be something funny going on in TE, rather than directly related to TT, but I don't really know. They saved correctly in my home without TT installed. I know its really odd. Could it be that they were at 50% last time I shut down the server without TT and it isn't overwriting them on server shut down?

Edit: I saw a weird exception in my log when I wasn't on the server, then logged on and saw that all my cells had been cut to about 30%. Here's the stack trace from the log:

2013-02-03 17:42:21 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception during tile entity tick
ticking: c thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitEnergy thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitEnergy@4b97b169 x,y,x: -465, 116, -770 at x,y,z:-465,116,-770
at java.util.LinkedList.node(Unknown Source)
at thermalexpansion.transport.GridEnergy.transferEnergy(GridEnergy.java:108)
at thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitEnergy.g(TileConduitEnergy.java:331)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.TileEntityTickRegion.doTick(TileEntityTickRegion.java:130)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.TickRegion.run(TickRegion.java:51)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$ServerWorkThread.run(ThreadManager.java:150)

Another Update: I removed all the conduits coming out of the energy cells - restarting the server in this case does not cause any of the energy cells to misbehave and they all retain the correct charge. I'm going to try breaking and replacing all my conduits and see if that helps at all.

Another, Another Update: I replaced the "extraction" conduits above the cells and it seems like the cells now only lose ~3% of their total charge on server reset. Then, the exception occurred again while the server was still running and all the cells lost 50% once more. Later, it happened again and it dropped completely to zero.

Here's a screenshot of my setup where the problem occurs - I've got two setups just like this, across from one another:

gKShJNR.jpg
I don't have time to fix this for ~16 hours, sorry, but this exception will almost definitely give all the information needed to fix it :D

Regarding the memory leaks - jvisualvm has been "calculating retained sizes" for the past three hours, so I'm going to also leave it on until tomorrow. No ETA is given, and if it's not done by then I'll use another tool. Until then, I don't have any more info related to the leaks.

edit: I lied, can't sleep. Fixed what was probably your memory leak in the latest build. Update if you have issues with that.

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
Encountered a similar stack trace apparently related to liquiducts - willing to bet its the same issue with them as it is with conduits.

2013-02-03 21:32:33 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception during tile entity tick
ticking: c thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitLiquid thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitLiquid@57e8783f x,y,x: -465, 118, -773 at x,
y,z:-465,118,-773
at thermalexpansion.transport.GridLiquid.transferLiquid(GridLiquid.java:209)
at thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitLiquid.g(TileConduitLiquid.java:380)

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Encountered a similar stack trace apparently related to liquiducts - willing to bet its the same issue with them as it is with conduits.

2013-02-03 21:32:33 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception during tile entity tick
ticking: c thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitLiquid thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitLiquid@57e8783f x,y,x: -465, 118, -773 at x,
y,z:-465,118,-773
at thermalexpansion.transport.GridLiquid.transferLiquid(GridLiquid.java:209)
at thermalexpansion.transport.tileentity.TileConduitLiquid.g(TileConduitLiquid.java:380)
Should be fixed in latest.

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
My server has crashed twice without anything getting logged on #732, nothing in server / forgemodloader / tickthreading logs... is there some additional debugging I can turn on?

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Did it hang, or did it exit? If it hangs, get a thread stack trace using jvisualvm.

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
It exited, is there a command line alternative to jvisualvm? I'm running on a headless Ubuntu box and don't want to install X.
I do have a clone of the server running on my Windows laptop so I'll see if it crashes there.

Edit: crashed again on the linux box, nothing in the logs... last entries are just people logging in/out a few minutes before it crashed. :(

Edit 2: Ah, I see this in dmesg:

Out of memory: Kill process 1036 (java) score 955 or sacrifice child
Killed process 1036 (java) total-vm:4763968kB, anon-rss:1945040kB, file-rss:0kB
A memory leak perhaps? Maybe I'm bad with linux, but why would it show 4G of memory used when it killed the java pid, if I have Xmx set to 1.75G? o_O (duh, 2G RAM + 2G swap = 4G total, disregard this)
The server is a quad core Xeon with 2048MB RAM & I'm running with this commandline :
Code:
screen -dmS minecraft java -server -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xmx1792M -jar ftbserver.jar nogui
I'm running OpenJDK, should I switch to Oracle JVM?
java version "1.7.0_09"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.4) (7u9-2.3.4-0ubuntu1.12.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)

TruculentMC

Jul 29, 2019
I see a few exceptions in the log after restarting. In particular we are getting this, numerous times, not sure if it is TT related or something with TE.

2013-02-04 15:09:28 [SEVERE] [ThermalExpansion] Packet payload failure! Please check your config files!

Also I note these two exceptions in the log:

2013-02-04 14:44:42 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception during entity tick at rX: -10, rZ: 14, hashCode: 917494:
at vswe.stevescarts.Modules.Works.workModuleWood.removeAt(workModuleWood.java:207)
at vswe.stevescarts.Modules.Works.workModuleWood.removeAt(workModuleWood.java:199)
at vswe.stevescarts.Modules.Works.workModuleWood.removeAt(workModuleWood.java:199)
at vswe.stevescarts.Modules.Works.workModuleWood.farm(workModuleWood.java:146)
at vswe.stevescarts.Modules.Works.workModuleWood.work(workModuleWood.java:72)
at vswe.stevescarts.Carts.entMCBase.work(entMCBase.java:1260)
at vswe.stevescarts.Carts.entMCBase.doUpdate(entMCBase.java:1090)
at vswe.stevescarts.Carts.entMCBase.j_(entMCBase.java:1017)
at yc.a(World.java:2293)
at in.a(WorldServer.java:647)
at yc.g(World.java:2255)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.EntityTickRegion.doTick(EntityTickRegion.java:47)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.TickRegion.run(TickRegion.java:49)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$2.run(ThreadManager.java:88)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$1.run(ThreadManager.java:39)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$ServerWorkThread.run(ThreadManager.java:149)

2013-02-04 15:04:58 [WARNING] [ForgeModLoader] Exception spawning an entity
java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException: -1
at zd.a(WorldChunkManager.java:194)
at zb.<init>(SourceFile:29)
at za.a(SourceFile:58)
at za.b(SourceFile:67)
at zd.a(WorldChunkManager.java:67)
at thaumcraft.common.entities.monster.EntityBrainyZombie.bs(EntityBrainyZombie.java:86)
at yp.a(SpawnerAnimals.java:269)
at in.b(WorldServer.java:162)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.doWorldTick(MinecraftServer.java:328)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.patched.PatchMinecraftServer$TickRunnable.run(PatchMinecraftServer.java:449)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$1.run(ThreadManager.java:39)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.ThreadManager$ServerWorkThread.run(ThreadManager.java:149)

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
It exited, is there a command line alternative to jvisualvm? I'm running on a headless Ubuntu box and don't want to install X.
I do have a clone of the server running on my Windows laptop so I'll see if it crashes there.

Edit: crashed again on the linux box, nothing in the logs... last entries are just people logging in/out a few minutes before it crashed. :(

Edit 2: Ah, I see this in dmesg:

Out of memory: Kill process 1036 (java) score 955 or sacrifice child
Killed process 1036 (java) total-vm:4763968kB, anon-rss:1945040kB, file-rss:0kB
A memory leak perhaps? Maybe I'm bad with linux, but why would it show 4G of memory used when it killed the java pid, if I have Xmx set to 1.75G? o_O
The server is a quad core Xeon with 2048MB RAM & I'm running with this commandline :
Code:
screen -dmS minecraft java -server -XX:UseSSE=4 -XX:+UseCMSCompactAtFullCollection -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+DisableExplicitGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:+CMSIncrementalPacing -XX:+UseCompressedOops -XX:+AggressiveOpts -Xmx1792M -jar ftbserver.jar nogui
I'm running OpenJDK, should I switch to Oracle JVM?
java version "1.7.0_09"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea7 2.3.4) (7u9-2.3.4-0ubuntu1.12.04.1)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 23.2-b09, mixed mode)
You don't have much RAM, reduce the number of cached chunks in TT's config to half of what it is just now. You may also want to try the latest build, a memory leak has been fixed recently.

goOutSide

Jul 29, 2019
The newest update fixed my previous non-TT memory leak issue. Pretty sure it was entities. I am now getting this from TT though (100+times):

02-04 23:16:47 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception ticking world Nether/-1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: TickNextTick list out of synch
at in.a(WorldServer.java:536)
at in.b_t0(WorldServer.java:77)
at in.b(WorldServer.java)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.doWorldTick(MinecraftServer.java:335)
at me.nallar.patched.PatchMinecraftServer$TickRunnable.run(PatchMinecraftServer.java:457)

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
The newest update fixed my previous non-TT memory leak issue. Pretty sure it was entities. I am now getting this from TT though (100+times):

02-04 23:16:47 [SEVERE] [TickThreading] Exception ticking world Nether/-1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: TickNextTick list out of synch
at in.a(WorldServer.java:536)
at in.b_t0(WorldServer.java:77)
at in.b(WorldServer.java)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.doWorldTick(MinecraftServer.java:335)
at me.nallar.patched.PatchMinecraftServer$TickRunnable.run(PatchMinecraftServer.java:457)
This should be fixed in latest. If it's not, it will still try to fix the list and continue working if it does desynch for some reason.

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
Should be fixed in latest.

Just got this to occur on a fresh install of the latest build (834) (all fresh mods, repatched with latest version of the patchme script):

Tick region: rX: -29, rZ: -49, hashCode: -3211293:
at thermalexpansion.transport.GridEnergy.transferEnergy(GridEnergy.java:100)
at me.nallar.tickthreading.minecraft.tickregion.TileEntityTickRegion.doTick(TileEntityTickRegion.java:136)

Yorae

Jul 29, 2019
Upon creating a new mystcraft world, server crashes. Trying to load the player in the world crashes the server again. Saw something in the first crash log about world generation being strange - "ALREADY DECORATING", I think it said - fairly sure it said something about marble worldgen as well. I'd give you the trace if I had it, but here's the trace when trying to log back in as a player in that world. No mention of TT in the error, but it doesn't occur without TT.

2013-02-04 21:43:21 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Encountered an unexpected exception NoClassDefFoundError
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: l
at a.<init>(CrashReport.java:27)
at a.a(CrashReport.java:319)
at yc.a(World.java:409)
at com.eloraam.redpower.world.WorldGenMarble.searchBlock(WorldGenMarble.java:32)
at com.eloraam.redpower.world.WorldGenMarble.a(WorldGenMarble.java:65)
at com.eloraam.redpower.world.WorldGenHandler.generate(WorldGenHandler.java:117)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.generateWorld(GameRegistry.java:91)
at im.a_s2(ChunkProviderServer.java:259)
at im.a(ChunkProviderServer.java)
at zz.a(Chunk.java:1258)
at im.c(ChunkProviderServer.java:229)
at ik.a(SourceFile:53)
at ik.a_s0(SourceFile:203)
at ik.a(SourceFile)
at gm.a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:163)
at gm.c_nolock(ServerConfigurationManager.java:206)
at gm.c(ServerConfigurationManager.java)
at gm.a_s1(ServerConfigurationManager.java:123)
at gm.a(ServerConfigurationManager.java)
at it.completeConnection(NetLoginHandler.java:198)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.handleClientConnection(FMLNetworkHandler.java:153)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.onConnectionReceivedFromClient(FMLNetworkHandler.java:107)
at it.d(NetLoginHandler.java:182)
at it.c(NetLoginHandler.java:75)
at hu.a(ServerListenThread.java:56)
at ht.b(SourceFile:29)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.r(MinecraftServer.java:261)
at ho.r(DedicatedServer.java:269)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:178)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:103)
at fy.run(SourceFile:849)
2013-02-04 21:43:21 [INFO] [Minecraft] Stopping server
2013-02-04 21:43:21 [INFO] [Minecraft] Saving players

nallar

Jul 29, 2019
Upon creating a new mystcraft world, server crashes. Trying to load the player in the world crashes the server again. Saw something in the first crash log about world generation being strange - "ALREADY DECORATING", I think it said - fairly sure it said something about marble worldgen as well. I'd give you the trace if I had it, but here's the trace when trying to log back in as a player in that world. No mention of TT in the error, but it doesn't occur without TT.

2013-02-04 21:43:21 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] Encountered an unexpected exception NoClassDefFoundError
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: l
at a.<init>(CrashReport.java:27)
at a.a(CrashReport.java:319)
at yc.a(World.java:409)
at com.eloraam.redpower.world.WorldGenMarble.searchBlock(WorldGenMarble.java:32)
at com.eloraam.redpower.world.WorldGenMarble.a(WorldGenMarble.java:65)
at com.eloraam.redpower.world.WorldGenHandler.generate(WorldGenHandler.java:117)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.registry.GameRegistry.generateWorld(GameRegistry.java:91)
at im.a_s2(ChunkProviderServer.java:259)
at im.a(ChunkProviderServer.java)
at zz.a(Chunk.java:1258)
at im.c(ChunkProviderServer.java:229)
at ik.a(SourceFile:53)
at ik.a_s0(SourceFile:203)
at ik.a(SourceFile)
at gm.a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:163)
at gm.c_nolock(ServerConfigurationManager.java:206)
at gm.c(ServerConfigurationManager.java)
at gm.a_s1(ServerConfigurationManager.java:123)
at gm.a(ServerConfigurationManager.java)
at it.completeConnection(NetLoginHandler.java:198)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.handleClientConnection(FMLNetworkHandler.java:153)
at cpw.mods.fml.common.network.FMLNetworkHandler.onConnectionReceivedFromClient(FMLNetworkHandler.java:107)
at it.d(NetLoginHandler.java:182)
at it.c(NetLoginHandler.java:75)
at hu.a(ServerListenThread.java:56)
at ht.b(SourceFile:29)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.r(MinecraftServer.java:261)
at ho.r(DedicatedServer.java:269)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:178)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:103)
at fy.run(SourceFile:849)
2013-02-04 21:43:21 [INFO] [Minecraft] Stopping server
2013-02-04 21:43:21 [INFO] [Minecraft] Saving players
The CrashReportCategory class wasn't found, that's probably a patching issue. Can you paste the patcher log?

edit: I have now fixed the Thermal Expansion fix, and changed the patching for crash reports to try to fix the quoted error.

goOutSide

Jul 29, 2019
Build 834 was spamming after about 3 hours of use by 3 people, moving to 854. Spam below.

Edit - Some day I will move to using github.

2013-02-06 01:49:23 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] TickNextTick list out of sync - attempting to recover!
2013-02-06 01:49:23 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] TickNextTick list out of sync - attempting to recover!
2013-02-06 01:49:24 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] TickNextTick list out of sync - attempting to recover!
2013-02-06 01:49:24 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] TickNextTick list out of sync - attempting to recover!
2013-02-06 01:49:25 [SEVERE] [ForgeModLoader] TickNextTick list out of sync - attempting to recover!