If you could add one thing to any mod...?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

HSIkMy

Jul 29, 2019
I guess it could act as a pretty effective weapon even in its current state, hook it up to a funky locomotion set up, fly over your enemy's base, and mine all their things up until the war is over.

*Thinks about experimenting with funky locomotion warships again*
Mining laser & Matter Cannon in autonomous. After that, drop some Tinkers glue tnt in the hole using Advanced Drawbridge, and a dispenser + lava manual flame arrow. Sweet
edit: how about mining up their entire base using a mining well frame machine though? HUEHUEHUEHUEHUEHUE

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
You can access the ae chest like a chest as long as it has power without using a terminal. It just needs a drive to designate space

I'm very familiar with how the ME chest works.

Let me state this again as you seem to be missing/ignoring this primary key point/requirement.

Early game.

Needing a drive vs having internal storage creates the entire issue of needing inscriber and presses, completely disqualifying it from being early game.

The crafting recipe for the current AE chest also requires processors and fluix, again disqualifying it as early game.

By the time you have those items and can craft processors, its a short step to a network.

A chest recipe using certus quartz and diamonds etc would make the difficulty equal to early game. A limited internal storage and not being connected to a network would prevent it from being abused. Having a recipe to upgrade it to a standard ME chest would make it useful later when you get a network

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
a2f49a42d28378a051f2d1afdb75b257.jpg

The jars on the shelves... Working with infusion crafting... Why isn't that a thing? Could it be?

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
I'm very familiar with how the ME chest works.

Let me state this again as you seem to be missing/ignoring this primary key point/requirement.

Early game.

Needing a drive vs having internal storage creates the entire issue of needing inscriber and presses, completely disqualifying it from being early game.

The crafting recipe for the current AE chest also requires processors and fluix, again disqualifying it as early game.

By the time you have those items and can craft processors, its a short step to a network.

A chest recipe using certus quartz and diamonds etc would make the difficulty equal to early game. A limited internal storage and not being connected to a network would prevent it from being abused. Having a recipe to upgrade it to a standard ME chest would make it useful later when you get a network

Agreed, ME chests are utterly useless. I like your idea but I came up with another one to make ME chests the first step to AE(could probably incorporate your idea as a pre-step)

1. Each storage cell in an ME Drive uses one channel, drives would have to be decreased to 6 slots so you could SSD them.
2. 8 ME chests placed adjacent to each other only use one channel.

So you can either compact your setup and use drives with lots of channels or make a sprawling chest room and use only a few channels

Baron_Falcon

Jul 29, 2019
Agreed, ME chests are utterly useless. I like your idea but I came up with another one to make ME chests the first step to AE(could probably incorporate your idea as a pre-step)

1. Each storage cell in an ME Drive uses one channel, drives would have to be decreased to 6 slots so you could SSD them.
2. 8 ME chests placed adjacent to each other only use one channel.

So you can either compact your setup and use drives with lots of channels or make a sprawling chest room and use only a few channels

I think I understand what you're trying to say here. The sprawling chest room doesn't really do anything a bunch of other chests and barrels wont do unless you can view all of them at the same time, and that is kinda what I was trying to avoid.

One thought I had was giving a storage cell housing a small storage value. I've noticed that by the time I get an AE up, I can usually put most of what I have amassed on one or two 1K drives. However this really wouldn't be that useful unless it could interface with a crafting table, like maybe the way TC does with a vanilla chest.

I also have an idea for an early game stand alone mod with an interface that connects directly to up to 8 vanilla chests. These can be 4 double chests as long as one side is touching the interface. The interface allows you to view inventory slots in single vanilla chest size windows with tabs that can be labeled, and has a crafting function. It can be upgraded from the default interface with more expensive modules to add more chests as you progress, possibly including barrels. This wold be an early to mid game mod that would close the gap between chests and AE. Anyone who wants to take that idea and run feel free.

And of course it would also be cool if TC crafting table worked with a diamond chest.

It's always been funny to me that AE has the very rudimentary vanilla flavored grindstone for early early game, then theres this huge gap to the ME network.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It's always been funny to me that AE has the very rudimentary vanilla flavored grindstone for early early game, then theres this huge gap to the ME network.

Yeah I agree, so combining our ideas into a early game AE addon you would get.

1. Basic ME chests have an internal size without a storage cell. Would it need power?
2. This chest can then be upgraded to a standard ME chest that takes a cell.
3. You can place 8 ME chests next to each other while only using one channel.
4. Drives are made more expensive, each cell will require it's own channel and size reduced to 6 slots(so it's possible to sub-network/SSD them).

Personally I think this brings AE a bit earlier in the game without making it OP and adds a tier system to the storage that'll be fun to work with

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
The Grindstone is there mostly to make sure the mod can work without any mod dependencies for grinding up quartz etc.
AE normally relies on other mods to grind stuff up, but if none of these are installed then there is always the Grindstone as a backup solution.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I would add some kind of upgrade to deep storage so that you could add a visual representation of the count and item on the outside of a block. Similar to the barrel or other storage monitors. :p

It can be frustrating sometimes to put vanilla signs on the outside of the block to label it.

Last edited:

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Yeah I agree, so combining our ideas into a early game AE addon you would get.

1. Basic ME chests have an internal size without a storage cell. Would it need power?
2. This chest can then be upgraded to a standard ME chest that takes a cell.
3. You can place 8 ME chests next to each other while only using one channel.
4. Drives are made more expensive, each cell will require it's own channel and size reduced to 6 slots(so it's possible to sub-network/SSD them).

Personally I think this brings AE a bit earlier in the game without making it OP and adds a tier system to the storage that'll be fun to work with
One channel per storage cell? I have no words for how much that would suck. It would make most formatted item storage systems invalid.

Reactions: rhn

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
The problem I have with that solutions is that it doesn't make any sense if multiple chest can use 1 channel but a drive needs to use more.

Reactions: immibis and Ieldra

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
The problem I have with that solutions is that it doesn't make any sense if multiple chest can use 1 channel but a drive needs to use more.

Because a drive is more convenient, more compact and more "powerful" it should be harder to use than a chest.

@leldra why? I use pre-formatted disks in an SSD already... Only difference is instead of having 6 drives per sub network you have just one. And some thinking to sort the priority on the storage buses separating the subnetwork.

Besides why does an Me chest require a seperate channel each and a drive not?

The point of my suggestion is to give the ME chest an actual use and push the drives further back.

lenscas

Over-Achiever
Jul 31, 2013
Because a drive is more convenient, more compact and more "powerful" it should be harder to use than a chest.

@leldra why? I use pre-formatted disks in an SSD already... Only difference is instead of having 6 drives per sub network you have just one. And some thinking to sort the priority on the storage buses separating the subnetwork.

The point of my suggestion is to give the ME chest an actual use and push the drives further back.

It may make sense from game-play(and even that is debatable) but its not logically in any way.

Let me explain, because the drive is 1 block it should in theory be possible to wire it in such a way that all the drives are seen as 1 and thus take only 1 channel.

Why would chests take up 1 channel and the drive not if the drive would be the most easy one for this to be the case?

Reactions: immibis

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014

Excessive subnetworking has disadvantages, as I've pointed out elsewhere. My current storage system has 16 drives half filled with formatted storage cells. That would be...80 channels to be expanded to 160? And I actually plan on expanding. Getting this to work required some redesign from my earlier systems because of the channels but that was OK. Your suggestion would make it basically impossible to work.

I agree that finding a use for the ME chest would be nice, but not at the price of making everything else non-feasible. That's exactly the wrong way to go about this. Also, AE2 is already a mid-game mod - late-game in some packs even - its main features don't need to be pushed back any further.

Reactions: immibis and lenscas

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I don't get it. What suddenly makes the ME chest useless? It has always been very useful for seeing and manually manipulating contents of Storage disks. These things are insanely helpful for formatted storage networks(for your lowest priority unformatted random item disks for example).

Reactions: RedBoss and immibis

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like MFR to upgrade the spawner to have an inventory of pokeballs and maybe even an interface to select which monsters or even a selected pokeball on redstone signal to certain sides? maybe you put the pokeball in the slot and it "learns" the contents for spawning and spits out a blank pokeball. Then it adds that monster to the list.

EDIT: I'd also love Modular Powersuits to have a different repair utility or the ability to add flux like tinkers' tools...

I'd love also for chisel to expand on it's awesomeness and add even more blocks.
I'd like to see vanilla (that's a mod right?) add a new dimension and boss/monster
I'd like to see extra utilities add some sort of block that interfaces with the um block outline thingie (can't think of name) and actually adds the blocks for you into the ghost blocks at the cost of rf or resources

I'd like to see tinker's add more complicated recipes at a tinker's table that isn't the current one. Things like bench tools that you don't carry around... for more neat tinkering. maybe even with a minigame to lathe or hammer etc. :D

I'd like to see extra utilities add a block that is a cow, like a model cow you set down. You put wheat and a bucket in it and get milk, you put wheat and a sword in it you get meat and leather, plus your items back. Cut down on the lag of animal farms. (why extra utilities? because it seems like a good fit) Could make a chicken one too... or it could just randomly spit out items after appropriate breeding/growth intervals.

Last edited:

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
It may make sense from game-play(and even that is debatable) but its not logically in any way.

Let me explain, because the drive is 1 block it should in theory be possible to wire it in such a way that all the drives are seen as 1 and thus take only 1 channel.

Why would chests take up 1 channel and the drive not if the drive would be the most easy one for this to be the case?

It's a game, making sense to the gameplay is all that's required. Realism and logic is irrelevant.

This system gives an earlier game use to the ME chest and pushes the more "powerful" drive later in the gameplay, how things in most games work, you don't get a rocket launcher before a knife.

Excessive subnetworking has disadvantages, as I've pointed out elsewhere. My current storage system has 16 drives half filled with formatted storage cells. That would be...80 channels to be expanded to 160? And I actually plan on expanding. Getting this to work required some redesign from my earlier systems because of the channels but that was OK. Your suggestion would make it basically impossible to work.

I agree that finding a use for the ME chest would be nice, but not at the price of making everything else non-feasible. That's exactly the wrong way to go about this. Also, AE2 is already a mid-game mod - late-game in some packs even - its main features don't need to be pushed back any further.

I have 60 drives(with about 10 pre-formatted cells) using one channel. With the new system, still 60 drives and one channel, just a lot more thinking required to do the subnetworks. Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't make the system "impossible"

It doesn't push AE back, just the drive which is incredibly boring and OP to be able to plonk down day 2. The crafting and channel system adds a great progression element, I'd like to see the same with the storage.

And obviously this change couldn't be pushed on existing worlds as it would completely screw everyone. But that's my point, the only way to play AE is to use the drives(trust me I've tried with chests), I'd like to see some alternatives and there's one waiting to be used.

@rhn(sorry on mobile and quote went mad), yes they can be used for that but as a storage mechanism they're completely invalidated by the drive, that's bad game design imho.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
It's a game, making sense to the gameplay is all that's required. Realism and logic is irrelevant.

This system gives an earlier game use to the ME chest and pushes the more "powerful" drive later in the gameplay, how things in most games work, you don't get a rocket launcher before a knife.

I have 60 drives(with about 10 pre-formatted cells) using one channel. With the new system, still 60 drives and one channel, just a lot more thinking required to do the subnetworks. Just because you don't know how to do it doesn't make the system "impossible"

It doesn't push AE back, just the drive which is incredibly boring and OP to be able to plonk down day 2. The crafting and channel system adds a great progression element, I'd like to see the same with the storage.

And obviously this change couldn't be pushed on existing worlds as it would completely screw everyone. But that's my point, the only way to play AE is to use the drives(trust me I've tried with chests), I'd like to see some alternatives and there's one waiting to be used.
Don't make assumptions about what I do and do not know how to do. Excessive subnetworking is, as far as I'm concerned, a cheat to get around having to use the channels. IMO, the only reason why it has not been completely removed in the switch to AE2 is that it's necessary to make a limited connection between separate networks built for different tasks, and for compatibility with Logistics Pipes.

So, in my view, the result of implementing your "solution" would be that large storage networks require cheating. Meanwhile, while I do like the channel system, I don't like the drastically increased space requirements for the autocrafting, which has, at the same time, become much slower than it used to be. Also, you may be able to "plonk down a drive" on day 2 but a functional storage system requires a bit more than that, and that you won't achieve on day 2, and even if you can, making the time a hardcore player needs to progress the measuring stick for all is inadvisable.

I guess we have drastically different views on AE2... and certainly about where the logic needs to be in a game.

Last edited:

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
Don't make assumptions about what I do and do not know how to do. Excessive subnetworking is, as far as I'm concerned, a cheat to get around having to use the channels. IMO, the only reason why it has not been completely removed in the switch to AE2 is that it's necessary to make a limited connection between separate networks built for different tasks, and for compatibility with Logistics Pipes.

So, in my view, the result of implementing your "solution" would be that large networks require cheating.
To my knowledge the mod author said in response to soaryn when he did this that it's not an exploit or cheat and that it was functioning as intended.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
To my knowledge the mod author said in response to soaryn when he did this that it's not an exploit or cheat and that it was functioning as intended.
He may have said that about subnetworking as such - which is indeed functioning as intended. I very much doubt he said that about using it excessively to avoid having to deal with the channels. Which appears to me to go somewhat against he spirit of the whole thing. And that means, using its possibility to restrict some of AE2's most useful features feels....well....wrong.

Psychicash

Jul 29, 2019
He may have said that about subnetworking as such - which is indeed functioning as intended. I very much doubt he said that about using it excessively to avoid having to deal with the channels. Which appears to me to go somewhat against he spirit of the whole thing. And that means, using its possibility to restrict some of AE2's most useful features feels....well....wrong.
Soaryn made a huge ssd and Direwolf20 said the same thing but mod creator was like no that's intended.