Really stupid things that people have said about Modded MC(Off topicness makes moderators tired)

Is this a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 66 18.2%
  • No

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • if people don't get out of control

Votes: 68 18.8%
  • POTATOES

Votes: 210 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

1M Industries

Jul 29, 2019
. . .
WHAT
I mean, I understand the need for donations, but seriously?

If by "ahead" you mean "he's literally threatening to bleed away your money and your experience of the server if you don't pay him $200. And even then, if other players don't cough up, he'll still do it"

Can't see the image
Figured out the image, right click and click on view image.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
Oh but not even. I went to the thread. There's more.
2cnikuf.png

LOL

psp

Jul 29, 2019
The fact that we're sitting here ripping apart a thread made by what is clearly children is both disappointing and incredibly sad.
True, but what is even more sad, is that the parents of that poor child let him on the internet.
Once the internet gets hold of someone...

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
True, but what is even more sad, is that the parents of that poor child let him on the internet.
Once the internet gets hold of someone...

It does not matter. These forums used to hold massive debates about automation tactics using various mods and pretty much anything else you can think of. Now I see less of that and more of insulting and belittling people who "we" (and I use that term lightly as I refuse to participate in it) view as less intelligent or younger than ourselves. It's truly disgusting to witness.

psp

Jul 29, 2019
It does not matter. These forums used to hold massive debates about automation tactics using various mods and pretty much anything else you can think of. Now I see less of that and more of insulting and belittling people who "we" (and I use that term lightly as I refuse to participate in it) view as less intelligent or younger than ourselves. It's truly disgusting to witness.
I feel like it is more contained to this thread.
You do bring up another point, perhaps this thread has run it's course?

HeilMewTwo

Jul 29, 2019
And then we have you, criticising the current behaviour while contributing nothing of the positive behaviour you talk about. Lead by example.

Padfoote

Brick Thrower
Forum Moderator
Dec 11, 2013
And then we have you, criticising the current behaviour while contributing nothing of the positive behaviour you talk about. Lead by example.

Yes, there is me, who has made a single post in this thread that fits the theme of it, and it didn't actively attack the person in question for being less intelligent (saying he was less intelligent would be a lie) while the remainder have been similar to the post you have quoted. I'd rather see the community say something about this than have the mods step in and start handing out warnings for this; it both shows that the community does not accept the behavior and it keeps the mods from having to spend their valuable time here policing this thread when there are more pressing matters for them to attend to. I'm not the only one that has said something about this in the past, and I doubt I will be the only one in the future. I have also been an active participant in many of the large debates on these forums in the past and still post to help people when I can and to participate in those debates when and if they appear, if that proves anything about "leading by example".

I'm not here to be a leader. I'm here to help people when I can and to be involved with civil debates because I'm interested in seeing how others approach situations in modded MC.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
So...calling out stupid people for being blindingly stupid is a bad thing? If they aren't going to listen to reason, you might as well get a few chuckles at their expense before they inevitably disappear.
Yes it kinda is, what if the person had a mental disability and couldn't help it? On top of that, that isn't what this thread is for, compare the first page to the recent pages. Completely different concepts

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Yes it kinda is, what if the person had a mental disability and couldn't help it? On top of that, that isn't what this thread is for, compare the first page to the recent pages. Completely different concepts
A great deal of what gets called out is more along the lines of breathtaking ignorance, of a level that is hard to excuse, even when you take into account things like age. That is something that is valid to criticize.

Reactions: Plasmasnake

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
A great deal of what gets called out is more along the lines of breathtaking ignorance, of a level that is hard to excuse, even when you take into account things like age. That is something that is valid to criticize.
Everyone doesn't know everything about the community and the rules the first time they post. Hell I know I didn't. Don't expect people to.

SadGhoster87

Jul 29, 2019
Please note the person has fixed there MAJOR issues from when this happened buuut

"There's no needs for mods you can do everything with command blocks and mcedit"
Sorry for the necro-quote, but as a fellow command-blocker I can say that he didn't actually mean that, he was simply forwarding the idea that command blocks can do tons of things (which they can).

SynfulChaot

Jul 29, 2019
The direction this thread has been in for the last ... too many pages represents, to me, everything wrong with the community. It really does make me sad seeing such hostility and belittling of others here. I don't care if one thinks that someone else 'deserves it'. They don't. Plus that's not how you win arguments *or* win people over. You do that by being polite and courteous. To do otherwise just makes you as bad as, or worse than, the ones you're belittling.

It *is* possible to post silly things that people have said without belittling said people, you know?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Everyone doesn't know everything about the community and the rules the first time they post. Hell I know I didn't. Don't expect people to.
No, I understand that, but is it really asking too much of people to know better than baldly lying or saying things like "reading isn't natural". Even most children know better than that.

Also, I cannot speak for others, but for me, I take the user into account when judging something they said, and that means that things coming from adults are doubly inexcusable and more likely to be posted and/or criticized.

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
No, I understand that, but is it really asking too much of people to know better than baldly lying or saying things like "reading isn't natural". Even most children know better than that.
It isn't too much to ask. People should do those things. And not doing those things is something that should be addressed as a problem. However, that doesn't mean attacking people for being ignorant, having wrong ideas, or lying. That brings you down to their level, and it can make you worse than them. I mean, is it better to be an ignorant liar or a bully?
Also, I cannot speak for others, but for me, I take the user into account when judging something they said, and that means that things coming from adults are doubly inexcusable and more likely to be posted and/or criticized.
And I respect you for doing so, but attack ideas, not people. When you attack people you bring out the worst in yourself, and you don't really change that person's opinion at all. They just get the idea that you are a jerk. If you want people to think that of you and never change, go ahead, but don't expect sympathy from me.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
It isn't too much to ask. People should do those things. And not doing those things is something that should be addressed as a problem. However, that doesn't mean attacking people for being ignorant, having wrong ideas, or lying. That brings you down to their level, and it can make you worse than them. I mean, is it better to be an ignorant liar or a bully?

And I respect you for doing so, but attack ideas, not people. When you attack people you bring out the worst in yourself, and you don't really change that person's opinion at all. They just get the idea that you are a jerk. If you want people to think that of you and never change, go ahead, but don't expect sympathy from me.
I only criticize a person after they start acting badly, either by being rude, dishonest, hostile, or similar, or by refusing to change their position in the face of contradictory evidence.

trajing

Jul 29, 2019
Deleted is a bit too far IMO - people weren't always this toxic here. In any event, we won't know until it's announced.

Reactions: psp
Status
Not open for further replies.