Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Question: is there a way to boost research efficiency of every aspect in Thaumcraft? I'm not looking for any spoilers of specifics, just a yes/no answer.
All of them at once? No.
Can every aspect be boosted? There's some I haven't found a way to yet, but maybe.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
Glowstone from bees, redstone from bees or IC2 crops. I don't think it's possible to synthesize nikolite in any way, but I usually have truckloads of it from just caving.

How would I automate the farming? Nikolite's not as important, once I get my battery boxes and energy generation set up, I should be fine.
I am sure there is a gregtech machine that will automatically farm IC2 crops. I'm not sure how to use it, what it's called, no guides I can find, etc.

For bees, they seem interesting, but I don't know how to fully automate them. I know there's that 2 propolis+1 diamond pipe that allows automation, not sure how to use that, I don't use buildcraft pipes for item transportation anymore (nor energy and rarely liquid).
Would it be the redstone bees breeding in one apiary and them being pulled into another apiary to produce them?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
If you want full automation, you'll need Alvearies. I recommend Florastar's videos for in-depth bee information.

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
Fermenter question: The thing seems to be able to draw up an insane amount of power. Is there a 'most efficient' input that I should throttle it back to, or is more always better?

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
What happened to the Jetpack Fueller? That thing was great.

Apologies if it's back and I missed it. I haven't looked for it since the FTB BETA.

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Fermenter question: The thing seems to be able to draw up an insane amount of power. Is there a 'most efficient' input that I should throttle it back to, or is more always better?

20MJ/t is max, it doesn't draw when it has no worky. More is always faster - whether that is better or not depends on the rate at which you consume its juices :)

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
20MJ/t is max, it doesn't draw when it has no worky. More is always faster - whether that is better or not depends on the rate at which you consume its juices :)

Thanks for the reply. I just remembered that Thermal Expansion added an MJ Reader recently. Seems the Fermenter is only drawing up 16 mj/ tick, and the three squeezer are only using 5mj a tick each. for some reason, my energy cell seems to be draining at a crazy rate. One 100mj a tick energy cell can't seem to keep up.

coltonjmurphy

Jul 29, 2019
What happened to the Jetpack Fueller? That thing was great.

Apologies if it's back and I missed it. I haven't looked for it since the FTB BETA.

I second that!!!! I went and created an oil refinery to make fuel for my jetpack to only find out I cannot use the jetpack fueller to place fuel in the jetpack? Is there a way around this? Please Help!!!

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I figured it out. The fueller was part of the Power Converters mod, which isn't in FTB.

The wiki says you have to use a canning machine and fuel cells now to fuel your jetpack, which essentially makes them pointless, IMO.

coltonjmurphy

Jul 29, 2019
I figured it out. The fueller was part of the Power Converters mod, which isn't in FTB.

The wiki says you have to use a canning machine and fuel cells now to fuel your jetpack, which essentially makes them pointless, IMO.

Well that stinks, because I went ahead and created an oil refinery and 4 combustion engines with all the piping to find out that Fuel is no longer capable of fuelling a jetpack, thats rediculous! I do not have the tin, for some reason tin is scarce in my world and creating cells all the time is not an option. Can I install Power Converters? Will it crash with FTB?

noah_wolfe

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the reply. I just remembered that Thermal Expansion added an MJ Reader recently. Seems the Fermenter is only drawing up 16 mj/ tick, and the three squeezer are only using 5mj a tick each. for some reason, my energy cell seems to be draining at a crazy rate. One 100mj a tick energy cell can't seem to keep up.

You were closer (I eyeballed it off the REC originally) - but with Forestry 2.0.0.3 / TE 2.2.0 the fermenter is requesting 17.0 during cycle, according to the reader.

coltonjmurphy

Jul 29, 2019
The mod is available for 1.4.6. I obviously haven't tried loading it, but theoretically it should work: http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic...s-powerconverters-21-mfr-netherores-and-more/

Edit: Or you could just do what everybody else does and switch to an electric jetpack. :)
Ya, I know, but that means creating a Nether portal, going to Nether and finding Glowstone. O well, I guess that's what my next move is, that and finding a way to use all the Fuel from my refinery now that I cannot use it for my Jetpack...sigh.

I am rather new to this addiction, I call minecraft... so Im still learning all the ' ins and outs'

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
You were closer (I eyeballed it off the REC originally) - but with Forestry 2.0.0.3 / TE 2.2.0 the fermenter is requesting 17.0 during cycle, according to the reader.

Right, I was measuring the input conduit, which averages in the tick or so of requesting 12 when it's moving between cycles. It needs 17 a tick for maximum speed. So, with three squeezers doing apple juice (5mj a tick each), a fermenter (17mj a tick), and six stills (6mj a tick each), I'll be outputting enough biofuel to keep six 36HP boilers fully fueled for 68mj a tick. Now I just need to ensure enough apple production and find a way to flush the excess mulch...

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
Question: How does a MV transformer convert 512eu packets into 128eu packets?

Specifically, does it take a 512 packet and convert it into 128 while wasting the remaining 384 eu? Does it split the 512 into 4 equal 128 packets and send them down different wires? Can it send 4 equal 128 packets down one wire or does it require 4 connected wires to get full efficiency out of this conversion?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
You get 4 128eu packets for each 512eu packet. Wires can carry an infinite number of packets, as long as each individual packet is below the maximum Eu the wire can carry.

Reactions: Dragonfel

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
You get 4 128eu packets for each 512eu packet. Wires can carry an infinite number of packets, as long as each individual packet is below the maximum Eu the wire can carry.

Thanks, I was concerned I'd have to hook multiple sides of the transformer up to avoid waste. How does this work for multiple sides then? Let's say you have 3 sides of a transformer outputting, where does the 4th packet go? What about 5 sides?

HeffronCM

Jul 29, 2019
I believe it has more to do with the machine using the power than the transformer. The machine requests the power, the transformer sends it. It is not constantly sending packets. Therefor, depending on what machines you have running, each line could have anywhere from 1 to 4 packets of 128eu going into them each tick. So, for example, a single MV transformer on an MFSU fed line should be able to feed all four faces of an Industrial Grinder, no matter how you have the wiring set up. Note that I have not directly tested this myself, it's only what I've picked up from a lot of messing around with IC2.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I was concerned I'd have to hook multiple sides of the transformer up to avoid waste. How does this work for multiple sides then? Let's say you have 3 sides of a transformer outputting, where does the 4th packet go? What about 5 sides?

EU flows on demand, continuously, so it doesn't split the packets along any plan except demand. The only meaningful context for this question is to consider what distance of wire is traversed by your packets.

Someone can correct me on this, but I was under the impression that transformers have a bit of internal storage themselves to help retain power that would otherwise be lost because the power network is not demanding a full 512EU/tick. They basically build an internal pool of power then vend out smaller ticks.

Dragonfel

Jul 29, 2019
EU flows on demand, continuously, so it doesn't split the packets along any plan except demand. The only meaningful context for this question is to consider what distance of wire is traversed by your packets.

Someone can correct me on this, but I was under the impression that transformers have a bit of internal storage themselves to help retain power that would otherwise be lost because the power network is not demanding a full 512EU/tick. They basically build an internal pool of power then vend out smaller ticks.

That's a good point, what happens if you convert 512 to 128 and the machine only needs 128 per tick. Every tick would it draw 512 from the MFSU for something only using 128?